Imperial Troopers advice please

Prev1
For GAC and TW purposes I’ve been looking at my unfinished teams. I can’t see myself diverting to farm Shore or Range anytime soon (GeoTB and Arena priorities). How best to optimise the characters in the attached image? And who should I run as 5th man out of Magma and Storm?
vair0migaiec.jpeg

Replies

• If i were you, i would gear the first five troopers. Then go range trooper when you can.
    Check my collection. Contact me at Discord: zegene#1773
  • Level /gear up magma. He's more useful than storm and he's also a double agent for thrawn lead vs traya later when you have better troopers
  • But without a tank you need way better mods to take on the usual IT targets.
  • Treeburner
    773 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    ZVeers ,range , zstarck, shore , death

Thrawn, mag , storm , shore , gar for the traya cheese
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    How does that Traya varient work @Treeburner? I've been using Thrawn mag death EP IPD but would love to free up some of them for other stuff.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • magma and storm are horrible advice. magma is a bad toon, and even if you are trying hard to give room to him with thrawn, its a huge mistake as thrawn is much better and much more useful than traya cheese. storm is super outdated, tanks cant be depends on skill to have taunt, (especially when no serious TM gain mechanics) and it work ONLY in empire otherwise he melt.
    magma and storm are not worth the farm.
    kinda off topic : the censorship on the forums, deleting and shushing the good players, made this the case. people seriously suggesting magma and storm as advice shows the forums gone really really bad and the level here is very low.

op, if you are still interested in my advice after this ^ (lol) - Troopers are highly offensive team, that need the fast kills. the core is Veers, Range, Starck, Snow. why they are the core- you can look at uniques, considering again, you want fast kills. you can go without a 5th against weak teams, you can go with DT as 5th against hard teams. but the team is Veers, range, starck, snow, DT, with super fast starck and others go right after him.
    anyway shore also need to be farmed, as he's a great tank. but not for IT. so if you need a tank (and you do)- farm shore, but remember hes expensive.
    TW/GA Counters Bot - https://discord.gg/jZH44Hb | Discord: SidiousIsPikachu#5768
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Storm and Magma are both pretty niche characters. They don't have a lot of uses, and are third and 4th string when it comes to Imperial Troopers.

Stark, Veers, Shore, Death, Snow, Range are all darn good.

I'd actually recommend hoarding the gear until you get range or shore honestly. Otherwise you're just raising your gp by gearing near junk characters which will only make it harder on you these days (potentially tougher matchups in GA).
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Matchmaking is based on top toon GP not total GP.
  • Yea.....GP isn’t critical these day!
    As great as Range clearly is.....I’m considering biting the bullet and farming Shore as my 5th based on the negative comments about Storm/Magma.

Shore would also unlock Tie Reaper — another useful ship for GeoTB. I reckon that dual benefit needs considered?
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    TVF wrote: »
    Matchmaking is based on top toon GP not total GP.

and how well geared do you think Storm would have to be to be useful?

It uses the whole top third of your roster. The fact that it doesn't use all of it is kind of irrelevant when it comes to who to gear. It really only means you aren't hurting yourself by putting your spare mods on lowbies.

I wouldn't mind facing a tougher opponent because I geared up shoretrooper. I'd be kicking myself if I faced a tougher opponent because I geared up stormtrooper or magna trooper.
    Yea.....GP isn’t critical these day!
    As great as Range clearly is.....I’m considering biting the bullet and farming Shore as my 5th based on the negative comments about Storm/Magma.

Shore would also unlock Tie Reaper — another useful ship for GeoTB. I reckon that dual benefit needs considered?

That's a good point. TIE Reaper is a good ship. Shore is the most widely useable of the troopers you haven't geared as well.
  • Shore is an incredible tank on the troopers team. The sheer volume of TM generated means he can pop his taunt/mass heal almost as soon as it's inevitably dispelled. Plus he has a huge protection pool. If I take mine to G13 he'll have well over 100,000.
  • kinda off topic : the censorship on the forums, deleting and shushing the good players, made this the case. people seriously suggesting magma and storm as advice shows the forums gone really really bad and the level here is very low.

I mean.... The entire premise of the question being asked is "I don't want to farm Range or Shore Troopers, who should my fifth be?" So unless we're just going to ignore the question completely we kind of have to suggest either Magma or Storm Troopers on account of those are literally the only two left.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Woodroward wrote: »

It uses the whole top third of your roster.

Source please.

And I'm not arguing anyone should gear Storm. He's terrible. Just pointing out something that was misleading.
  • It doesn't specifically say top third but it also says they won't penalize players for working on lower power squads:

Improvements to Grand Arena Matchmaking
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    It doesn't specifically say top third

Yes, that was my point.
  • RANGE TROOPER
    Veers, Starck, Range, and Snow are the required big 4. I like death as a 5th, but shore can be useful too.
    If you're not going to gear range, I'd just stop working on the faction until you're ready to.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    kinda off topic : the censorship on the forums, deleting and shushing the good players, made this the case. people seriously suggesting magma and storm as advice shows the forums gone really really bad and the level here is very low.

I mean.... The entire premise of the question being asked is "I don't want to farm Range or Shore Troopers, who should my fifth be?" So unless we're just going to ignore the question completely we kind of have to suggest either Magma or Storm Troopers on account of those are literally the only two left.

No. If he don't want to farm shore or range, his trooper will be bad. Bringing storm/magna not gonna help at this at all.

Veers Starck snow DT +1 outsider can be as good and often much better as same team with Storm/Magma instead. Because it's bad toons.

A team with Range as 5th is whole other level.
    TW/GA Counters Bot - https://discord.gg/jZH44Hb | Discord: SidiousIsPikachu#5768
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    How does that Traya varient work @Treeburner? I've been using Thrawn mag death EP IPD but would love to free up some of them for other stuff.

I used Thrawn magma death nihilus and shore in arena for a long time vs traya. Nearly a guaranteed win, just keep daze off magma.

If you really dont want to use nihilus, I've used variants with visas or rex. Just drags the battle out longer.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited August 2019

Source please.

And I'm not arguing anyone should gear Storm. He's terrible. Just pointing out something that was misleading.

The idea that GP is now irrelevant when the whole point of this game is making you have to farm everything is laughable. Common sense should have told you that was nonsense before it came out of your mouth.

Hence why I was correcting a misleading statement (GP doesn't matter) addressed towards my valid comment. (gearing crap toons instead of good ones only hurts you)
    Post edited by Fauztin on
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    If you want a good team for taking out NS specifically, you don't need shore or range. All you need is zVeers a fast zStarck and Snow. Other two really don't matter. Your first move should always be starks aoe (NOT his group buff). Magma is actually really good there because his aoe will hit all of Stark's staggers, and remove TM on the others.

I will say shore is a good insurance policy vs NS, but very rarely necessary.
  • Juzz
    366 posts Member
    For GAC and TW purposes I’ve been looking at my unfinished teams. I can’t see myself diverting to farm Shore or Range anytime soon (GeoTB and Arena priorities). How best to optimise the characters in the attached image? And who should I run as 5th man out of Magma and Storm?

Your premises don’t stand.

You want GAC and TW but don’t want to farm shore. Without shore you’ll lose banners/ members against g12+3 or higher NS Teams, mainly because this is a secondary team and the mods won’t be first class nor secondary class. Will be more on the terciary class or lower.

Storm is bad trash and greatly inferior to Shore.
    Magma kit can’t compare to Range in any way.

You can make a good team even without Death using gXIs: zVeers, Range, Stark (even without zeta), Snow and Shore. Or swapping Death for Range.

Remember that that a trooper team needs a first Death fast in order to get the TM going and if you don’t have a solid taunter you can end up with half your team stunned or with snow being your first dead man and not able to make the first kill fast or even losing the fight.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    To summarize this thread

You must accept 2 things.

1 if you 100% will not gear up range , you must have either magma or storm , you take magma. Hopefully to shoehorn into traya wins.

2 that 1^ is not worth much. It’s better to get range and maybe shore. Like a million times better. But if you can’t do it you can’t do it.

Also , for that talk about matchmaking and top third roster thing ... does anyone remember what it says in the main grand arena screen and you tap on grand arena banner ? The thing flips and is black and had writing that said something to the effect of the weighting being based on the top “ total number of req characters to set full defence and full offence. So like if you set five teams on d , then it uses the top 50 characters power.

I could be delusional on that last bit.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Veers, stark and snow trooper are essential. Also, I'd recommend range trooper because of all the assists he brings.
  • Stick
    647 posts Member

Source please.

@TVF @Woodroward

Matchmaking is based on the maximum power of units a player is allowed to use based on the number of squads allowed to be deployed in the event. That’s a direct quote.
    No way it can be top 3rd of the roster based on that statement.

• Only use for Storm is possibly in Rebel Roundup to trigger exposes using the otherwise useless Event Special Ability for Troopers.

Outside of that he really does everything worse than Shore.
  • @Shadowscream if you don’t want to farm range trooper, just gear him instead. His unique and special are what make him great. Not his own attack power. Get Starck as fast as possible, and load snowtrooper up on offense. Starck goes first and buffs the team, feeding them TM in the process. Unless your opponent is lightning fast, all of your characters should go before they get a turn. Focus on their weakest character and kill them. You gain a ton of TM and kill the next weakest (or any character if you deathmark them). Often times, you can kill a NS or BH squad without your opponent taking a turn.
  • My fastest so far is 13 seconds for a NS team start to finish. It was good fun.
  • All these guys disparaging Storm, ignoring OP's request. For a trooper squad using what you have, out of Storm or Magma the better fit to fill your team is unquestionably Storm. Yes Shore is a better tank, but Storm will serve.
    Just remember that while troopers are very good against nightsisters, they can fail on occasion. It happens. Usually against Ventress lead sisters.
  • @Shadowscream if you don’t want to farm range trooper, just gear him instead. His unique and special are what make him great. Not his own attack power. Get Starck as fast as possible, and load snowtrooper up on offense. Starck goes first and buffs the team, feeding them TM in the process. Unless your opponent is lightning fast, all of your characters should go before they get a turn. Focus on their weakest character and kill them. You gain a ton of TM and kill the next weakest (or any character if you deathmark them). Often times, you can kill a NS or BH squad without your opponent taking a turn.

Best advice in the thread so far to be honest. The power of range is his unique and the buffs he provides ( both the retribution and the TM it generates under Veers lead ), and both of these are independent of star count. Even a 3 or 4 star g9+ range will be better for your troopers than a g11 storm or magma ( and I have both at g12 ). I used range at 4* for quite a while before he was farmable perfectly fine. He isn't that tough to gear to a decent level, especially compared to storm and magma, who are both very raid gear heavy.
    Once you add range, you only need a fast starck, and a semi fast DT & range to get your squad rolling heavily because of the TM gain from buffs. The assists he allows will also massively increase your damage output while he is alive.
  • All these guys disparaging Storm, ignoring OP's request. For a trooper squad using what you have, out of Storm or Magma the better fit to fill your team is unquestionably Storm. Yes Shore is a better tank, but Storm will serve.
    Just remember that while troopers are very good against nightsisters, they can fail on occasion. It happens. Usually against Ventress lead sisters.

It's not that they're ignoring his request really, just trying to prevent him from sinking precious resources into a toon that will barely add anything noticeable when there's a much much better option available ( even at 3* ). With storm and magma both at g8, he hasn't invested any of the rare gear into them to make it painful to switch to a new toon, and range is an easier gear up anyway. Storm and magma are basically useless below g10 or higher at least, while range will add quite a lot even at g8 to get the other 4 members of the squad rolling at the start.