Returning old player, keep going or restart?

Hey everybody, I am new to these forums mostly to ask this question. I have taken 2-3 years off of this game and just came back recently. I’m still trying to decide how serious I will get into it again but am mostly looking for a way to pass the time and participate in some challenging content. Anyway, here is my roster:

https://swgoh.gg/p/953423196/characters/

If the link doesn’t work, just let me know.

And thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• uno
    150 posts Member
    just depends how serious u want to play...arena is gonna be terrible to try to climb to a certain point and that's the primary source of resources apart from guild activities..so if u just wanna play for fun and not by the 'clock' then it would be better to keep what u have...but if ur thinking of being competetive u should start over...warrior's pillar system on utube is the best guide for that
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Start over. Not a close decision imo
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Start again, you must.

I have taken months in breaks: I started nearly three years ago but quit twice. My roster is so unfocused, completely lacking the obvious dominant teams and my best are under geared.

I now face players incredibly focused all the time and it pushes me to quit playing every day...
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    No need to start again, if you don't plan to play consistently and aim for top ranks in arenas anyway. With you current account you will be able to contribute more in guild events and have your fun there.

If you hit a young fleet arena shard, you could go all-in on ships and pilots to take top ranks here, and accept a top-500 rank in squad arena.

Leave the starter guild, though, and enter a real guild. There are a few in the 30-50 million GP raid, who farm heroic AAT. Try joining one of those.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I completely agree with @uno. If you start over, and don't play 'seriously' anyway, you won't reach much higher ranks in squad arena than your current account has.
  • Honestly, I would re-think your decision completely. Unless you plan to play very casually it’s probably not worth it either way.
    There are plenty of candies that need crushing out there.
  • Why would anyone start over? If it's been a while, just look at it as a head start..... there's not enough GP there to throw things out of whack for GAC matchmaking. Now or in the future. Keep your squad and keep going. Why would you even consider starting over??????
  • Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Why would anyone start over? If it's been a while, just look at it as a head start..... there's not enough GP there to throw things out of whack for GAC matchmaking. Now or in the future. Keep your squad and keep going. Why would you even consider starting over??????

One of the main reasons to start over is for arena, if a player is coming back and is going to be active in game, it can be worth it to start over and generally have a better crystal income while they play.

Also, in many cases the characters and GP lost by starring over are small enough to not matter.

A good measure is to climb a as far as you can in arena and see where you will sit, because you will likely be there a while during the rebuild process. If you are happy with that income, then go for it. With that GP and those characters, it's basically a wash and a coin flip on which would be better, but I am more in the start over camp myself.
  • You could just make an alt account to start over and still have your main if you choose to go back to it.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Why would anyone start over? If it's been a while, just look at it as a head start..... there's not enough GP there to throw things out of whack for GAC matchmaking. Now or in the future. Keep your squad and keep going. Why would you even consider starting over??????

what kyno said, and also op's roster is not good due to the long abscence. He wouldn't lose much in terms of wasted time by starting over. Once in a while someone will have a decent roster but be far behind in arena and want to stick it out. here, op will be doing himself (or her, obv) a disservice and will probably just get frustrated and quit again
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • For now I am going with James’ suggestion and making an alt plus keeping my old account. Since the older account has hundreds of sim tickets, I don’t need to spend a whole lot of time on it so I am just trying both out to see which one I want to continue with.

Again, thanks to everyone for all of the responses
  • If you haven't unlocked fleet yet definately keep what you have as new fleet shard you'll be on even footing to climb to top for the crystal income, wish I'd paid more attention to ships when they first released
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    If you've been gone that long, I'd just find a new game, to be honest. I took a break of about a year and a half and catching up was a pain. Restarting isn't a great solution, either.

Starting over used to be a good plan, because you could laser-focus and get to the top of a new shard in Squad and Fleet Arena, thereby securing a strong flow of free crystals.

The issue is that this has become so commonplace, with people either starting over or making "alt" accounts, that nearly everyone else in the shard is doing the same thing as you. Newer shards have Revan teams well into the hundreds, all modded according to the dozen or so guides out there on how to build your roster up from scratch. So you don't get nearly as much of an advantage as you might have a couple years ago.

By contrast, while I don't ever expect to make top 5 in my 2015 squad shard- the mod gap from the time I took off can't be closed by anything but lucky mod rolls or a non-speed-based meta, which I don't ever expect- it's extremely easy for me to lazily place in the top 50, because 95% of the shard burned out ages ago and is either inactive or "casual" players.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png