Quick and Easy Dark Side Team

AttilatheNun
14 posts Member
edited August 2019
So, I'm fairly new to the game and still getting my first couple teams up and running. Currently focusing on farming phoenix squadron for thrawn/palp, planning to transition to farming jedi/old republic for GMY and JKR.

The problem with this is that it leaves me for a long time without a solid dark side team for the dark side nodes. My current dark side team is a mishmash of starting characters and whatever I've been lucky enough to unlock. It includes Tarkin, Talia, Dooku, Royal Guard, and Snowtrooper. I recently hit level 50, but I'm having trouble getting past dark side normal node 5-i. This is especially an issue since i'd like to be able to get a head start on farming Bastila from dark side hard node 5-B. My question is, what could I do quickly and cheaply (trying to stay mostly or entirely FTP) to improve my dark side team without distracting too much from my main character farming objectives? Any suggestions?

Replies

• Have you already gotten your Scoundrels for Credit Heist? If not getting started on a Bounty Hunter team might be a good idea, even if the best Hunters aren't the easiest to farm right off the bat (but you can start on the ones that have ships, to help meet your Dark Side ship requirement down the line/get started on Falcon). Otherwise, since you're already planning on Palpatine and Thrawn, an Empire/Sith team might be right up your alley. Vader, Tarkin, TFP with those two are a pretty solid team for early/mid game after you hit 85 and are pretty easy to get, depending on your priorities.

You'll unlock Vader soon, if you haven't already, and then you can buy his shards in the Fleet store as he shows up.

[Here's] a spreadsheet that can help you make farming decisions.
  • I have been working on farming Boba Fett, but that's going to be a bit of a slog. Vader will definitely help when I can add him in. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to get Thrawn during the current event and there's no telling when Palp will be available. Any quicker options you might suggest?
  • Generally speaking the fastest farms are Galactic War Store and the Cantina.

If you've already finished Chopper in the Cantina Store, get Boba Fett from there; if you've already finished Kanan in the Squad Store, there's Greedo and IG-88 (both of them are squishy, Greedo can hit hard later on and IG-88 has a ship); add Cad Bane from the GW store, Dengar from the Guild Store, and either add a couple other darksiders to flesh out the team (Zam isn't really worth investing in; Bossk, Jango, Embo are late hard modes. And I'm pretty sure level 7 of the Cantina Table is still locked for you). I suppose the Imperial route wouldn't be amiss either; Magmatrooper (not great for R2 because tier 7 is immune to TMR), Colonel Stark, Snowtrooper, etc.

Look through that spreadsheet I linked earlier. You shouldn't have to worry too much about synergy at this point. You just need to invest in gear and ability levels for characters you'll want down the line, anyway. Tarkin and Vader are both those. Talia may be, depending on what future Nightsisters team you want to look into. Geonosians. Bounty Hunters. Empire. You may also want a higher level ally or three (my ally code is 634-478-835), who are willing to lend you powerful toons to help you three-star nodes you're struggling on.

Look at where you can flex on and where you'd really rather not and fit a Dark Side team in between. You can fine tune things later.
  • Unfortunately, pretty much all of my farm is still tied up in Phoenix - they're all 4* currently, though Zeb is about to hit 5* after the next store refresh. What I'm getting is that it's better to just make do for the moment until I can finish up my current squad?
  • If you can't flex around them? Yes. You shouldn't need star levels to beat these nodes; just levels, abilities, and gear (mods too, but I forget what level those unlock). Pick a couple dark side characters you'll need later and invest in those as you can.
  • LordGrahck
    344 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    The easiest dark side team to get is Palpatine, vader, thrawn, tarkin, tie fighter pilot. You'll unlock all of them by simply playing the game and farming phoenix. Phoenix will help you get Palpatine and thrawn. Tarkin is farmable in the arena store, vader shows up in fleet store, and tie fighter pilot is an easy cantina node farm. It's a solid team that will take you far.
  • I agree with LordGrahck above, only I would probably just plug Boba Fett into the team instead of farming Tie Pilot simply because you'll probably want to use your cantina energy in other areas early on. He's really only any good for the ship, and you can get by with him simply being unlocked early on for that (which will happen for free). Boba is a character you'll absolutely want to have for down the road (BHs, ships, etc) and he's a good enough stand alone toon to be able to plug into another team without needing to be part of the faction.
  • LordGrahck
    344 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Sorry, YKMisfit, but I have to disagree. Tie Fighter Pilot has a higher base speed (190 compared to Boba's 167), inflicts tenacity down, ability block, and buff immunity, which not only feeds turn meter to himself through his own unique, but feeds turn meter to the rest of the team through Palpatine's lead. Not only that, but he gains foresight to help him survive. Plus, he has the Empire tag, which Boba Fett doesn't. TFP has far more synergy and brings far more to the team than Boba Fett. Don't get me wrong. Boba Fett is awesome, but doesn't fit in this team as strongly as TFP. If you build him right, TFP will be attacking more often than anyone else on that team due to his own speed and turn meter gain, plus the turn meter being fed to him via Palpatine and Tarkin. Boba Fett will miss out on all that juicy turn meter goodness.
  • That kind of optimization isn't really necessary when your primary goal is to progress through the normal/hard dark side nodes at/around level 50. OP just needs to pick five characters to invest resources in that can do the job, ideally with an eye to his future projects. It doesn't have to be pretty, or perfect; just effective towards that goal. Will OP need TFP down the line, if only for his ship? Probably, it's one of the easier dark side ships to get. Does TFP work in a mid-game Palpatine team? Yes. Is that enough of a draw for OP to delay parts of his planned farms for? Only OP can decide that.

Whatever team he ends up using is probably going to be a little haphazard while he's focusing on Phoenix, Jedi, and Old Republic characters. That doesn't mean it won't work, only that it's non-optimal. Hence why I suggested things he'll need later and left the rest up to him (though, OP, think about putting some resources into Scoundrels; you don't need star levels for Credit Heist, but the game gets a lot slower if you don't have access to that influx of credits).
  • LordGrahck wrote: »
    Sorry, YKMisfit, but I have to disagree. Tie Fighter Pilot has a higher base speed (190 compared to Boba's 167), inflicts tenacity down, ability block, and buff immunity, which not only feeds turn meter to himself through his own unique, but feeds turn meter to the rest of the team through Palpatine's lead. Not only that, but he gains foresight to help him survive. Plus, he has the Empire tag, which Boba Fett doesn't. TFP has far more synergy and brings far more to the team than Boba Fett. Don't get me wrong. Boba Fett is awesome, but doesn't fit in this team as strongly as TFP. If you build him right, TFP will be attacking more often than anyone else on that team due to his own speed and turn meter gain, plus the turn meter being fed to him via Palpatine and Tarkin. Boba Fett will miss out on all that juicy turn meter goodness.

There's no question TFP fits better in an Empire lineup than Boba Fett, but farming him interferes with a very long list of players that you'll want to farm from the cantina early on. And if the goal is just to have a DS team that gets you through the nodes, I'd use the toons that I'll be farming anyway (there isn't a lot of early game competition for Cantina Store currency once you get Chopper out of the way).
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    LordGrahck wrote: »

Boba Fett's lead also gives its crit chance/damage bonuses to any allies, which makes him handy early on when you don't have a ton of dark side characters and even fewer with good leadership abilities.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png