Points awarded for a bye

I understand that a player who does not get to participate in a GAC round due to odd number of participents and they should be compensated. But I do not get why it has to be assumed that they would have won each battle with a perfect score of 64. I think total points for defence + total points for each battle win (with 5 surviving units with full protection & health) + points for winning the GAC round, is a fair compensation.

Replies

• I would agree 64 seems very unfair to others. 59 is a good average for a good player so 60 each should be max
  • StarSon
    7405 posts Member
    ashbbk wrote: »
    I understand that a player who does not get to participate in a GAC round due to odd number of participents and they should be compensated. But I do not get why it has to be assumed that they would have won each battle with a perfect score of 64. I think total points for defence + total points for each battle win (with 5 surviving units with full protection & health) + points for winning the GAC round, is a fair compensation.

It is not assumed that they would score this. It is simply the easiest way to tabulate the points. Rather than assign a value that could become outdated, they just pull max points and call it a day.
  • Akenno
    538 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Why won't they get an AI as an enemy? Or a mirror from another person in the same match?

They would win the round but they need to fight and that would make it fair tbh.
  • The guy in division 3 with the bye is now more than 500 points above everyone else. This has nothing to do with fairness.
  • StarSon
    7405 posts Member
    Akenno wrote: »
    Why won't they get an AI as an enemy? Or a mirror from another person in the same match?

They would win the round but they need to fight and that would make it fair tbh.

Because that's more difficult and resource intensive? Having to fight an AI would be interesting though. It auto fills a bunch of relatively low gear synergy teams.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    I havent looked, but I'm assuming there was only 1 bye in each division? Is that true?
  • Remember they can’t complete feats though. Being 500 points up is really 500 points behind because they’ve already received 1000 points that no one else has yet.
  • But yes, I agree that they should just face an AI or something who doesn’t attack
  • ashbbk wrote: »
    I would agree 64 seems very unfair to others. 59 is a good average for a good player so 60 each should be max

The problem with both of these ideas is that it opens the door for competitive players to complain that they were cheated out of banners by RNG, as they could have undermanned squads and scored more than 60. So rather than arbitrarily determine what the "average" player could score, giving out the max is the most fair to the players who will get a bye.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • CadoaBane wrote: »
    The guy in division 3 with the bye is now more than 500 points above everyone else. This has nothing to do with fairness.

Not a reasonable comparison, since the bye players already got their 1000 points for winning the round, while no one else has yet. If they're only 500 points ahead now, they will soon be 500 points behind.
  • VonZant wrote: »
    I havent looked, but I'm assuming there was only 1 bye in each division? Is that true?

5 divisions have 1 person with a bye and the other 6 have no byes.
  • Keep in mind getting a bye round cuts both ways.

On the one hand, you get max round points. On the other hand, you completely miss out on a round of feat progression. It's a double edged sword.

There almost always has to be a bye. There isn't really an elegant solution for the situation. This may not be perfect but it is reasonable.
    Still not a he.
  • VonZant wrote: »
    Given that a matched GA bracket must consist of exactly 8 players and that the matchmaker is constrained by Division and League as well as top x toon GP there should be the potential for at least 7 players per Division+League combo, possibly more depending how much leeway is allowed with top X toon GP matching.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    VonZant wrote: »
    Given that a matched GA bracket must consist of exactly 8 players and that the matchmaker is constrained by Division and League as well as top x toon GP there should be the potential for at least 7 players per Division+League combo, possibly more depending how much leeway is allowed with top X toon GP matching.

They don't short out a whole GA bracket. They just run 1 GA bracket with less people. At least I assume that from the fact that there isn't any division with more than 1 bye.
  • Sepir
    38 posts Member
    So does a bye look like the below, or would one of those be correct and the other two would have cheated to get max points?
    sh7kw5nfrkmg.png
  • Sepir wrote: »
    So does a bye look like the below, or would one of those be correct and the other two would have cheated to get max points?
    sh7kw5nfrkmg.png

That isn't actually maximum points. Maximum points at this point would be 3599. Those are just people doing really well.
  • Sepir
    38 posts Member
    I'll let the guy asking know, thanks.