Grand Arena Hitting Last an Advantage?

Replies

• Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Going first still gives the opponent information. They know how much risk they have to take.

I said that in the post you quoted. Are you agreeing or disagreeing?
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• It’s definitely an advantage to go second. My third round the guy was trying to save squads to beat my Best defence team and in doing so he used 4 attacks on one of my teams and 2 on the other. He also failed against my best defence.

I now know I don’t need to full clear. Just kill the weaker side efficiently and kill 1 team in the other front row defence and I’ve won. I know I don’t need to save toons for his DR.

So clear advantage imo.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Dmitry_M81 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    GJO wrote: »
    Hide the banners! Simple, easy and effective.

Perfect and the only way to stop this thread )

If someone will complain "get back banners so we can see them!" - it means knowing opponent's banners IS advantage and they used it ))

Not quite. I mean people where tin foil on their heads because they think it will keep them safe, that doesnt make it true.

I haven't seen any vote against hiding banners yet, just "it's not advantage", "do your best anyway", blah-blah-blah.
    If some part of community wants to hide them as well as other part not against that - let's just hide them for good, it should be simple for devs to disable that counter.
    Simple, easy, everyone happy

In a previous thread on the same subject, I expressed my opposition to hiding the scores. My most intense round of GA was when both my opponent and I were active at the same time. After 3-4 battles each we were tied. After 7 battles each we were tied again. That really added to the fun and intensity.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    It’s definitely an advantage to go second. My third round the guy was trying to save squads to beat my Best defence team and in doing so he used 4 attacks on one of my teams and 2 on the other. He also failed against my best defence.

I now know I don’t need to full clear. Just kill the weaker side efficiently and kill 1 team in the other front row defence and I’ve won. I know I don’t need to save toons for his DR.

So clear advantage imo.

What you describe is not really an advantage. The information, you got in that situation, simply helps you to a less stressfull attack phase. You score less than your best and still win easily. It didn't help you perform better in this situation.
  • IntrepidFox
    237 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    And it's huge advantage when you know opponent's banners, so you can either use undersized squads for extra banners or full squads for guaranteed win.
    If banners (and maybe even squads defeated) are hidden - noone has advantage or disadvantage, fair deal for me.

Please explain how knowing you need to use an undersized team, makes winning the match easier??

It's not about making it easy to win. It's not about guaranteeing a win. It's about the advantage which comes with knowledge.

Like when CG announce a new event with 48 hours notice. Sure giving people more notice wouldn't make it easier for them to get ready for the event. But if people know it's coming more people are going to be ready for it when it arrives.

If you'd announced it months in advance it wouldn't be easier that's true. But when armed with knowledge a player can plan and strategist effectively. Sure, without the knowledge plenty of players were ready for Malek. But at the same time, you threw in a surprise minimum GP, which led to many people who had prepared still being unable to get Malek, because at the end of the day it's just guess work.

Your argument is that guesswork and knowledge are as accurate and effective as each other. I disagree. Suspect the dictionary disagrees too.

• TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Same thread with same people and same arguments on both sides.

Can't wait for the next thread next Tuesday.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    And it's huge advantage when you know opponent's banners, so you can either use undersized squads for extra banners or full squads for guaranteed win.
    If banners (and maybe even squads defeated) are hidden - noone has advantage or disadvantage, fair deal for me.

Please explain how knowing you need to use an undersized team, makes winning the match easier??

It's not about making it easy to win. It's not about guaranteeing a win. It's about the advantage which comes with knowledge.

Like when CG announce a new event with 48 hours notice. Sure giving people more notice wouldn't make it easier for them to get ready for the event. But if people know it's coming more people are going to be ready for it when it arrives.

If you'd announced it months in advance it wouldn't be easier that's true. But when armed with knowledge a player can plan and strategist effectively. Sure, without the knowledge plenty of players were ready for Malek. But at the same time, you threw in a surprise minimum GP, which led to many people who had prepared still being unable to get Malek, because at the end of the day it's just guess work.

Your argument is that guesswork and knowledge are as accurate and effective as each other. I disagree. Suspect the dictionary disagrees too.

Guess work and knowledge have nothing to do with actually winning the points.

If you need 62 points and you have a team that can make that score and you go into the battle and come out with 61 points, guess what that knowledge did nothing for you and you could have done that attacking first or second.

A proper plan and strategy works no matter the time you choose to attack. The feeling that people get when the choice is made for them doesnt change the fact that they could have won or lost the battle regardless.
  • I don't much care about the issue, but it bothers me way too much that there are people who deny the obvious fact that there's an advantage to attacking second. It's like people insisting that the Moon is made of cheese. Sure, it's a harmless belief, but I can't help getting irritated by it. :s
  • IntrepidFox
    237 posts Member
    edited September 2019

If you need 62 points and you have a team that can make that score and you go into the battle and come out with 61 points, guess what that knowledge did nothing for you and you could have done that attacking first or second.

A proper plan and strategy works no matter the time you choose to attack. The feeling that people get when the choice is made for them doesnt change the fact that they could have won or lost the battle regardless.

It's really cute talking about needing 62 points to win. The problem is obviously the fact I can't know I need that unless I've gone last.

Question: You're in the last battle of the round. You are facing a g11/g12 padme lead team. You have no idea how many points you need. How many points do you need?

The answer is - you don't know. So how many units do you take into the fight? If you 4 man it do you win? What about 3 manning it? Do you win?

Is the answer - "I don't know"

It should be. But from your response it seems the answer is to take in the units which are going to get the points needed.

Obi Wan: "I have the high ground Anakin"

Anakin: "It's not an advantage. It's possible to win either way."

• Rhunne wrote: »
    There is no advantage to going first or second, sure you can calculate what you need to win, but that just adds to the stress of trying to get there instead of just enjoying the ga

I'm reasonably sure the folks who are hardcore all about this being an advantage have never enjoyed anything in their life. Except maybe overanalyzing things in general.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • I now know I don’t need to full clear. Just kill the weaker side efficiently and kill 1 team in the other front row defence and I’ve won. I know I don’t need to save toons for his DR.

So clear advantage imo.

Except that there are material benefits to you if you full clear anyway. There are feats, for one, and the more banners you get the better your rank will be which gives you better rewards both when you promote and when the event ends. You should be going for a full clear every time. Saying that going second is a worthwhile advantage and then saying it's because you know you don't need to get the most banners possible is like saying taking three days off at work is an advantage because you know you only need two days pay to make rent.
    plindboe wrote: »
    I don't much care about the issue, but it bothers me way too much that there are people who deny the obvious fact that there's an advantage to attacking second. It's like people insisting that the Moon is made of cheese. Sure, it's a harmless belief, but I can't help getting irritated by it. :s

People aren't saying it's not an advantage. They're saying it's a negligible advantage that doesn't really matter and that people are blowing it out of proportion. They're also saying that going first has its own set of advantages that are being overlooked by the OP and their supporters.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

It's really cute talking about needing 62 points to win. The problem is obviously the fact I can't know I need that unless I've gone last.

Question: You're in the last battle of the round. You are facing a g11/g12 padme lead team. You have no idea how many points you need. How many points do you need?

The answer is - you don't know. So how many units do you take into the fight? If you 4 man it do you win? What about 3 manning it? Do you win?

It should be. But from your response it seems the answer is to take in the units which are going to get the points needed.

Obi Wan: "I have the high ground Anakin"

Anakin: "It's not an advantage. It's possible to win either way."

If I think I can win with 4, I go in with 4. That's how you play the game. I have my teams I know I can score better with, i strategize around using them to their max ability and work the plan. Waiting to attack second doesnt mean you will be able to earn the point you need to win, even if you know that number.

Last time I watched the movies, Anakin won that war. But maybe that's just how I view it when he killed Obi Wan. Thinking you have an advantage doesnt mean you do, and it certainly doesnt mean you will win.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    plindboe wrote: »
    I don't much care about the issue, but it bothers me way too much that there are people who deny the obvious fact that there's an advantage to attacking second. It's like people insisting that the Moon is made of cheese. Sure, it's a harmless belief, but I can't help getting irritated by it. :s

At the same time others claim that it's a fact that attacking first is an advantage.
    And yet others claim that you don't perform better wether you attack first or second.

How do you feel about that? What's your moon made of? Gingerbread?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

No. The answer should be: "Whatever helps me to the better score."

• Just don't show the number of banners the other player has until the offense period has closed. Nobody has an advantage or disadvantage. Problem solved.

Cue everyone who doesn't like losing their "advantage" but are unwilling to admit that a rotating time would be fair to start calling this a bad idea.
  • I always hit first unless the other person attacks as soon as the attack phase starts. I prefer to attack without the distraction of what the other player is doing, as I'm going to clear it as efficiently as possible anyway. All the points I get go to my GAC total, so no reason to base my effort on what the other player does. Once I'm done, I don't look at the results again, and only find out in the "mail" notice. No pressure, no stress, quick to move on if I lose.

Whether attacking first or second gives you an advantage is likely based on your personality type - competitive, works under pressure, easily flustered, etc.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • kalidor wrote: »
    I always hit first unless the other person attacks as soon as the attack phase starts. I prefer to attack without the distraction of what the other player is doing, as I'm going to clear it as efficiently as possible anyway. All the points I get go to my GAC total, so no reason to base my effort on what the other player does. Once I'm done, I don't look at the results again, and only find out in the "mail" notice. No pressure, no stress, quick to move on if I lose.

Whether attacking first or second gives you an advantage is likely based on your personality type - competitive, works under pressure, easily flustered, etc.

This is far too much common sense for this forum!! Remove this person.

I think if some people feel it is an advantage for them, but they never get the chance to exercise that advantage because of the fixed time of the event, then it seems fair to rotate the event start time. I think all of the counter arguments against that are just mental gymnastics people are undertaking in order to support their own bias, conscious or otherwise.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    CordycepsX wrote: »
    How about this.... a player sets an absolute FU defence. Both revans, GG, padme, etc, etc. Their best 8 teams straight onto defence. Then waits. If u full clear, they lose. If u don’t, they know exactly how many banners they need with whatever offence they have left. Their whole strategy revolves around hitting second. I’m not saying it’s an unfair strategy, it’s quite good, actually. The only thing I was asking originally is why not make the starting times fair for everyone?

You need 62 points in a battle, can you please explain how knowing this makes getting those points easier in battle?

The game is world wide, there is no time that works for everyone.

The solution was posted and suggested many times - rotate GAC starting times by 6hrs each round.
    How about this.... a player sets an absolute FU defence. Both revans, GG, padme, etc, etc. Their best 8 teams straight onto defence. Then waits. If u full clear, they lose. If u don’t, they know exactly how many banners they need with whatever offence they have left. Their whole strategy revolves around hitting second. I’m not saying it’s an unfair strategy, it’s quite good, actually. The only thing I was asking originally is why not make the starting times fair for everyone?

You need 62 points in a battle, can you please explain how knowing this makes getting those points easier in battle?

The solution was posted and suggested many times - rotate GAC starting times by 6hrs each round.
    So now rounds last 30 hours? And a whole GA within GAC lasts 36 hours longer?

Are you sure the forums want that?
  • Rotating start times seems reasonable. I think those who are arguing that going last has no advantage whatsoever are being disingenuous... If you know you can 100% win with 5, but know that you need to try with 4 or 3 it adds uncertainty that you might not otherwise risk... To prove my point, what would people think if banner count and wins/losses were not displayed at all until the end of the time or both players clear all territories? This would fully resolve the whole issue/discussion for everyone who has posted... "Hey, that takes away excitement because then you wouldn't know..."...Exactly.

Those arguing against rotating start times are just being hypocrites because they are either
    A) whaling the heck out of div 3 and 4
    B) living in the timezone where it works for them

I’ll be very glad if my opponent clears me with 60 pts on each node from the get go so i actually get to know that i really shouldnt be attempting to clear so many feats this round. It doesn’t give me pressure, just information i can use to my advantage.
  • evoluza wrote: »
    I always hit first and lost only once since gac. Don't know what advantage you need.
    Player your teams as effective as you can and the rest isn't on you

Yep, agreed. I guess when people aren't good PVP players or don't have good rosters, they seek out every advantage they can get, lol.
  • BobcatSkywalker
    2194 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    I go first and get max score using undersized teams to win when I can so it doesn't matter to me.

The rest of u should consider the doing your best strategy...

If you can kill it with 2 why use 5? Sure 5 is safer and if you only need 50 to win but it hurts you in the ranking vs peers if u going for top 200.

It's never beneficial to score less points because your going second and only need 40 points for a win so u dont try to get your max. That's just a bad decision.

So now rounds last 30 hours? And a whole GA within GAC lasts 36 hours longer?

Are you sure the forums want that?

What?
  • Being able to go second has the following advantages:
    1. Knowing the exact banner count you need and whether you can afford ot have to take chances you otherwise might not.
    2. Being able to reasonably deduce what the opponent might have place defense given their efficiency on clearing your teams.

There is a clear advantage for the last attacker as they have more information to start. They still need to execute, of course, but they have a better understanding on what it takes.
    Do or Do not.

DarthBarron (Kevin, aka KevWalker)
    Stokat wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

It doesn't but if you are 45 score behind (excluding territory victory points) and you have 1 battle left... you know you can just send in 5 toons and clear it up instead of sending in an undersized squad to take a gamble to get a higher score.

This is just common sense.

Also, if you are 60 points behind, you know you have to take the risk and go undersized even if you wouldn't otherwise.

Exactly. I I don’t understand after being spelled out so many times why ppl still don’t grasp this basic concept. It’s not rocket science, just common sense.

The concept of that is not hard to understand, the problem is that this game mode is not won by knowing a team can be 4 or 5. Nothing about attacking first or second makes playing the game easier. A percieved advantage because a player who is unsure of their own skills doesnt mean they can win the battles they need to because they feel better about it, it also doesnt mean they would lose if they didnt know how to feel about it.

The same attack strategy can be used both first or second and score the maximum points that a player can reach based on their roster, opponent and skill.

You are missing the point. If I know I have leeway, I can choose a safer counter. If I know I have to push for points, I can be more aggressive and take more chances. You can also make a more rational deduction about their possible defense, You are making attack decisions with more information, which is ALWAYS an advantage. It has nothing to do with playing, you still have to execute the plan against an RNG based system, but it allows you to optimize your plan better.
    Do or Do not.

DarthBarron (Kevin, aka KevWalker)

It doesn't but if you are 45 score behind (excluding territory victory points) and you have 1 battle left... you know you can just send in 5 toons and clear it up instead of sending in an undersized squad to take a gamble to get a higher score.

Also, if you are 60 points behind, you know you have to take the risk and go undersized even if you wouldn't otherwise.

Exactly. I I don’t understand after being spelled out so many times why ppl still don’t grasp this basic concept. It’s not rocket science, just common sense.

The concept of that is not hard to understand, the problem is that this game mode is not won by knowing a team can be 4 or 5. Nothing about attacking first or second makes playing the game easier. A percieved advantage because a player who is unsure of their own skills doesnt mean they can win the battles they need to because they feel better about it, it also doesnt mean they would lose if they didnt know how to feel about it.

The same attack strategy can be used both first or second and score the maximum points that a player can reach based on their roster, opponent and skill.

You are missing the point. If I know I have leeway, I can choose a safer counter. If I know I have to push for points, I can be more aggressive and take more chances. You can also make a more rational deduction about their possible defense, You are making attack decisions with more information, which is ALWAYS an advantage. It has nothing to do with playing, you still have to execute the plan against an RNG based system, but it allows you to optimize your plan better.

You always need to be more aggressive if your competing for points against all other players in your division

You always need to be more aggressive if your competing for points against all other players in your division

Not at the risk of a loss, because +1000 for the win means a lot more in the overall championship score than an extra point or two per GA for "maximizing" banners.
This discussion has been closed.