JKR BEWARE! ...and beyond.

So I have a basic JKR squad with above average speed. Through trial and error I figured out a way to beat DR squads with average and even above average power/speed. I was winning 4 out of 5 battles depending on how the AI utilized and targeted with DR's and DBastilla's kit. This went on for over a month and I was able to break into the top 100 of my shard a few times a week.

Since the last couple of updates I have utilized the EXACT same strategy against the EXACT same opponents (and yes, I checked to see if the opponent rearranged mods or added G12 pieces, etc.)

And my win rate has gone from 80% down to maybe 5%....maybe. And while bad...and I mean absolutely disproportionately ugly RNG on the scale of astronomical anomaly could account for many of the losses, it cant account for the overall dozens of them. (ALL of which have similar outcomes, so I know its not the RNG)

Thank you CG for your utter LACK of transparency. And this isn't just for the latest updates...no, sadly CG takes it upon themselves to tweak the strengths and weaknesses of key OP toons constantly and WITHOUT letting the community know. BIG changes are noted in dev notes, but not the myriad of minor ones that do in fact affect outcomes.

One bug I've noticed lately also: GMY opens with his Masterstroke AOE attack and instantly gets a bonus turn if there is at least one other jedi alive...that's what the character ability notes say. I reliable used this throughout my JKR vs DR matches to spam buffs and get critical turn meter for my main damage dealer. Lately, and this started the same time my win rate plummeted, GMY is NOT getting his bonus turn...even on his OPENING MOVE...when the target is either thrawn or DBastilla which has been marked by JKR...and the entire squad is still alive.

I've noticed other bugs as well where my JKR squad is dying a LOT faster to the same attacks and abilities from the DR squad typical attacks/abilities that previously they help up to.

My hypothesis is simple: the Whales and other long term players have yet again whined to CG that all their money and all their time is not giving them the satisfactory result of resoundingly defeating all others in the game that have not forked over the money to get the premium OP squad of DR Malak, etc.

I mean really...why should F2P players with lesser JKR squads be "allowed" to beat their bought and paid for "automatic win" DR/Malak squads...even if the JKR upstarts through wit and strategy figured out how to beat them within the current parameters of the game?

Well...my theory goes that this simply cannot stand in the world of P2W gaming. And since SWGOH is funded by the whales and dolphins and not by F2P like me. Its totally understandable, its very practical and even predictable. The player base doesn't pay a fee to join the game and then everyone is on a level playing field with no ability to pay to get ahead. This is an inherently uneven playing field and currently the pendulum has swung wildly in favor of the whales.

I can say this with certainty and fact b/c a short time back CG reduced the number of hard battles one can daily max at from 8 down to 5. The reasoning was that (paraphrased) players have had adequate time to farm all the newly released OP toons/ships. Which of course is a garbage explanation no where near grounded in reality. It was just a cheap explanation that CG hoped would placate the low information masses that play their game.

Since the introduction of the new BH's, and BH ships, followed by the Old Republic toons, Chewbacca, the OT Falcon, JKR, 3PO, DR, Padme, the Anakin/Ahsoka reworks, and the GG rework and new SEP droids/reworks I have literally been scrambling with constant meta farming and energy refreshes. I haven't nearly caught up even though thousands of tracked battles have netted me a shard drop rate of 34-35%. So as a daily and consistent F2P player I KNOW that CG's explanation is garbage.

It was just a delay tactic to appease the whales and give their OP squads more TIME at the tops of arenas before the F2P players caught up. And just when they start to catch up....G13 is introduced...and right after that here come the Relics.

For the first year I played, CLS was tops. And he was attainable for a new player rather quickly with a few months of dedicated farming. This last year has been one OP introduction after another...all requiring months and months of farming (not to mention the grind and gridlock of gearing them up), and all introduced at a rate which is impossible for F2P players to keep up.

And while this is expected in order to placate the spenders/revenue supporters of the game, it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth of that vast majority of the F2P player base.

The obvious and glaring conclusion is that sadly, SWGOH is in decline. After a few successful years the game is now on the downhill trend and CG is making a mad cash grab in an attempt to keep the game popular and relevant with the legacy players, the whales and today's culture of gamers for the next several quarterly revenue reports. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end and there is darkness now visible at the end of the SWGOH tunnel - the darkness of unpowered servers and a game with no further development relegated to simple maintenance mode until the whales are tired of spending and supporting the platform because there are no more active F2P players to regularly annihilate.

The business model of P2W/F2P games is wildly, WILDLY successful...in the near to short term. Longevity is not the goal nor the ideal. This is a profitable business and for a high quality well developed and largely bug-free and cheat-free mobile game, the large profits are there for the taking.

SWGOH was a really FUN and strategically stimulating game for a few years now...and I think it can hold on for maybe a couple more because STAR WARS is such an iconic and beloved franchise.
But for a competitive (note: NOT professional) gamer such as myself the game has lost its luster and the glimmer has faded. Whereas I once considered spending to keep up (which is the intended draw of the platform), I now see the handwriting on the wall and have settled for much lower expectations in this game. I will continue to play, albeit with lesser enjoyment, until the newer shinier game (TBD) comes out and then I will bid farewell to SWGOH.

Replies

• Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Here's a fun idea: get DR next week 🤷‍♂️
  • GMY isn’t getting his bonus turn because he’s critting Malak and getting inflicted with fear.
  • So when you were handing out beat downs to Darth Revan teams, did they all have Malak? And were they 5 and 6 star Malaks? Because now, it's G13 7 star all day from where I see. And that team isn't a push over.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    There are 6 pieces of gear on g12, mods are not the only way someone could have improved their team over the past few weeks.
  • Damodamo
    1574 posts Member
    GMY isn’t getting his bonus turn because he’s critting Malak and getting inflicted with fear.
    This..
    Op... read the kits of who your facing, not just your own toons..
  • EventineElessedil
    6171 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    GMY isn’t getting his bonus turn because he’s critting Malak and getting inflicted with fear.
    Yep, can't open with Yoda AOE when facing Malak for a couple reasons, this is one of them. You hamstring yourself that way. Best Yoda first move vs DR/Malak/BSF is Battle Meditation.
    Since the introduction of ... yadda yadda yadda ... I have literally been scrambling with constant meta farming and energy refreshes. I haven't nearly caught up even though thousands of tracked battles have netted me a shard drop rate of 34-35%. ... more words ...

A drop rate of 1/3 is what everybody who has ever tracked drop rates has found. your drop rate of 34-35% agrees with that perfectly given the small uncertainties associated with RNG. No need to get upset about what everyone else is also dealing with.
  • I’m kinda excited for a similar post when he gets drevan next week and then there’s a meta shift
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    If you typed all that on a phone I applaud you.

Way too long to bother reading though.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    They can change too you know, it’s not just doom and despair...
  • The nerfed padme too if it is any consolation.
  • If your team doesn't do as well in the arena as it used to, then work on getting yourself a better team. You always have to look forward.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    Stealth nerfs, as always, don't exist. You're just not that good.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• I haven't noticed a difference. I'm fighting g13 DR squads with my g13 JKR team plus Thrawn. The strategy without Thrawn, against a team without Malak, is to mark and kill BSF. But don't use GMY's AOE. Fire up his buffs at the first opportunity. You want him to be fast, above 250 speed. A fast Bastila helps too, but don't wait for her to buff GMY first. You desperately need Tenacity Up ASAP or it's over.

You also want GK's retribution, so pass him a turn with JKR's AOE / cleanse early on. If you're lucky, Sith Trooper and/or DR commit suicide by mass counterattack. Once BSF is out of the picture, kill STrooper and either DR or HK depending on which toons and attacks come up. If you can get an assist, pick off HK first, otherwise hack away at DR. Leave the fifth for last unless it's Thrawn.

Malak makes things harder, but Thrawn to the rescue. Start by marking DR instead of BSF. Spread buffs with GMY and buff him with Bastila as soon as possible. Thrawn should be fast enough to go next or in between and fracture DR. Now you can finally attack him. After he's down, kill STrooper if he's on the team, then BSF and HK in no particular order. Your team should be fully buffed by now, so you might as well go for HK first. Leave Malak for last and try to fracture him before you hit him. If your Thrawn is already dead, stun him with Bastila.
  • This is the most paranoid post ever, if DR can easily defeat JKR I haven't noticed. I'm running Darth Revan at moderate speed (I don't have amazing mods, but not terrible ones) and I don't have Malak. I win 25-50% of the time against JKR.

If Darth Revan teams are besting you they're probably just upgrading in ways you're not seeing or, you may just be getting bad rng/letting your rage mode affect your strategy. I doubt CG is conspiring to destroy the Jedi behind your back.
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    This is the most paranoid post ever, if DR can easily defeat JKR I haven't noticed. I'm running Darth Revan at moderate speed (I don't have amazing mods, but not terrible ones) and I don't have Malak. I win 25-50% of the time against JKR.

If Darth Revan teams are besting you they're probably just upgrading in ways you're not seeing or, you may just be getting bad rng/letting your rage mode affect your strategy. I doubt CG is conspiring to destroy the Jedi behind your back.

Who are you running dr with? Even before malak i would beat jkr 9 times out of 10 with dr, thrawn, fbast, hk, sit (& in that turn order)
  • If your a free player like me it's part of the game. Ya can shell out money or be patient. Same in my arena I went from top 50 to top 200 in two weeks and I have a DR with 319 speed g13 . My solution as F2P? I have stopped all shard farming and concentrate on nothing but G13 a few teams. I know it's hard not to shard farm but if your gonna keep up medium teams don't cut top 100.
  • Hi mate.....reach me on disscord.
    I dont have those problems wit that team.
    Hope i can help you.
    Kudos
  • So I have a basic JKR squad with above average speed. Through trial and error I figured out a way to beat DR squads with average and even above average power/speed. I was winning 4 out of 5 battles depending on how the AI utilized and targeted with DR's and DBastilla's kit. This went on for over a month and I was able to break into the top 100 of my shard a few times a week.

Since the last couple of updates I have utilized the EXACT same strategy against the EXACT same opponents (and yes, I checked to see if the opponent rearranged mods or added G12 pieces, etc.)

And my win rate has gone from 80% down to maybe 5%....maybe. And while bad...and I mean absolutely disproportionately ugly RNG on the scale of astronomical anomaly could account for many of the losses, it cant account for the overall dozens of them. (ALL of which have similar outcomes, so I know its not the RNG)

Thank you CG for your utter LACK of transparency. And this isn't just for the latest updates...no, sadly CG takes it upon themselves to tweak the strengths and weaknesses of key OP toons constantly and WITHOUT letting the community know. BIG changes are noted in dev notes, but not the myriad of minor ones that do in fact affect outcomes.

One bug I've noticed lately also: GMY opens with his Masterstroke AOE attack and instantly gets a bonus turn if there is at least one other jedi alive...that's what the character ability notes say. I reliable used this throughout my JKR vs DR matches to spam buffs and get critical turn meter for my main damage dealer. Lately, and this started the same time my win rate plummeted, GMY is NOT getting his bonus turn...even on his OPENING MOVE...when the target is either thrawn or DBastilla which has been marked by JKR...and the entire squad is still alive.

I've noticed other bugs as well where my JKR squad is dying a LOT faster to the same attacks and abilities from the DR squad typical attacks/abilities that previously they help up to.

My hypothesis is simple: the Whales and other long term players have yet again whined to CG that all their money and all their time is not giving them the satisfactory result of resoundingly defeating all others in the game that have not forked over the money to get the premium OP squad of DR Malak, etc.

I mean really...why should F2P players with lesser JKR squads be "allowed" to beat their bought and paid for "automatic win" DR/Malak squads...even if the JKR upstarts through wit and strategy figured out how to beat them within the current parameters of the game?

Well...my theory goes that this simply cannot stand in the world of P2W gaming. And since SWGOH is funded by the whales and dolphins and not by F2P like me. Its totally understandable, its very practical and even predictable. The player base doesn't pay a fee to join the game and then everyone is on a level playing field with no ability to pay to get ahead. This is an inherently uneven playing field and currently the pendulum has swung wildly in favor of the whales.

I can say this with certainty and fact b/c a short time back CG reduced the number of hard battles one can daily max at from 8 down to 5. The reasoning was that (paraphrased) players have had adequate time to farm all the newly released OP toons/ships. Which of course is a garbage explanation no where near grounded in reality. It was just a cheap explanation that CG hoped would placate the low information masses that play their game.

Since the introduction of the new BH's, and BH ships, followed by the Old Republic toons, Chewbacca, the OT Falcon, JKR, 3PO, DR, Padme, the Anakin/Ahsoka reworks, and the GG rework and new SEP droids/reworks I have literally been scrambling with constant meta farming and energy refreshes. I haven't nearly caught up even though thousands of tracked battles have netted me a shard drop rate of 34-35%. So as a daily and consistent F2P player I KNOW that CG's explanation is garbage.

It was just a delay tactic to appease the whales and give their OP squads more TIME at the tops of arenas before the F2P players caught up. And just when they start to catch up....G13 is introduced...and right after that here come the Relics.

For the first year I played, CLS was tops. And he was attainable for a new player rather quickly with a few months of dedicated farming. This last year has been one OP introduction after another...all requiring months and months of farming (not to mention the grind and gridlock of gearing them up), and all introduced at a rate which is impossible for F2P players to keep up.

And while this is expected in order to placate the spenders/revenue supporters of the game, it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth of that vast majority of the F2P player base.

The obvious and glaring conclusion is that sadly, SWGOH is in decline. After a few successful years the game is now on the downhill trend and CG is making a mad cash grab in an attempt to keep the game popular and relevant with the legacy players, the whales and today's culture of gamers for the next several quarterly revenue reports. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end and there is darkness now visible at the end of the SWGOH tunnel - the darkness of unpowered servers and a game with no further development relegated to simple maintenance mode until the whales are tired of spending and supporting the platform because there are no more active F2P players to regularly annihilate.

The business model of P2W/F2P games is wildly, WILDLY successful...in the near to short term. Longevity is not the goal nor the ideal. This is a profitable business and for a high quality well developed and largely bug-free and cheat-free mobile game, the large profits are there for the taking.

SWGOH was a really FUN and strategically stimulating game for a few years now...and I think it can hold on for maybe a couple more because STAR WARS is such an iconic and beloved franchise.
    But for a competitive (note: NOT professional) gamer such as myself the game has lost its luster and the glimmer has faded. Whereas I once considered spending to keep up (which is the intended draw of the platform), I now see the handwriting on the wall and have settled for much lower expectations in this game. I will continue to play, albeit with lesser enjoyment, until the newer shinier game (TBD) comes out and then I will bid farewell to SWGOH.

Dude... Leave those regular JKR setup... Use JKR, JKA, hoda, jolee + GK or speedy **** setup. I can kill those with 340ish speed DR and 330 speed malak easily.

Here's mine
    JKR 321, GK 270, JKA 230 (put CD with high offense secondary, target phy dmg is above 5k, hoda 313, jolee 213 with crit avoidance

https://youtu.be/7-t2aFJhufE
  • So I have a basic JKR squad with above average speed. Through trial and error I figured out a way to beat DR squads with average and even above average power/speed. I was winning 4 out of 5 battles depending on how the AI utilized and targeted with DR's and DBastilla's kit. This went on for over a month and I was able to break into the top 100 of my shard a few times a week.

Dude... Leave those regular JKR setup... Use JKR, JKA, hoda, jolee + GK or speedy **** setup. I can kill those with 340ish speed DR and 330 speed malak easily.

Here's mine
    JKR 321, GK 270, JKA 230 (put CD with high offense secondary, target phy dmg is above 5k, hoda 313, jolee 213 with crit avoidance

I like it. Here is what I use. Typically i found including GK was good and i could move up but it got even easier when i dropped GK and brought Bastilla back in. Reason being that at the end, when malak is going toe to toe with your whole squad, and eating them all, Bastilla will reliably land ability block / stuns and give JKA a big damage boost. Once DR is dead she is MVP for mine.

https://youtu.be/G7FNwVikTG8

@BurnsTawola
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • anonidude wrote: »
    So I have a basic JKR squad with above average speed. Through trial and error I figured out a way to beat DR squads with average and even above average power/speed. I was winning 4 out of 5 battles depending on how the AI utilized and targeted with DR's and DBastilla's kit. This went on for over a month and I was able to break into the top 100 of my shard a few times a week.

Here's mine

I like it. Here is what I use. Typically i found including GK was good and i could move up but it got even easier when i dropped GK and brought Bastilla back in. Reason being that at the end, when malak is going toe to toe with your whole squad, and eating them all, Bastilla will reliably land ability block / stuns and give JKA a big damage boost. Once DR is dead she is MVP for mine.

https://youtu.be/G7FNwVikTG8

@BurnsTawola

I like your setup too. Thats what im using now. But, the problem is, my regular opponent stats:
    DR: 347speed
    BSF 320
    Malak 330
    HK 251
    Marauder 270

So i need fast ****. Luckily 290ish is enough to move before DR.
    So the turn order:
    JKR mark bsf, hoda calls jka, **** buff jka. Bsf is surely killed. Then kill em all.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    @BurnsTawola 347/320/330 is crazy fast for three mod sets. Have a gg link for this person?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • A couple of thoughts

1. There are definitely daus where it seems rng is against you. Most days I climb to 1st with no refreshes or one refresh. But there are days where it seems like you can't win a battle even when facing the same opponents with the same team. Is it a secret nerf? No. But I imagine it feels worse when using a lesser team to start with.
    2. I was also disappointed when they reduced the hard node to 5 from 8. But after seeing that they haven't released may toons to hard nodes recently, I understand why they did it. I'm ftp and pretty well caught up on hard nodes. Sure there are toons I have left to finish but they aren't vital ones. I'm down to farming rose tico and lobot just in case and just farming gear with all remaining energy.

And I get it that newer accounts aren't there yet. But the change doesn't really slow your longterm farms. Sure it slows the panic farm for the next legendary/journey characters but if you spend all your energy on nodes that jave good characters and refresh energy, you'll still get there in the long run as long as you farm other future needs with the left over energy.

And they did make ship nodes better. So as long as they balance future releases it should be fine. That being said, it would be great if they moved older non meta characters to more places to make it easier to catch up if you haven't been playing as long. Or if you just don't view that character as worth the hard node.
  • TVF wrote: »
    @BurnsTawola 347/320/330 is crazy fast for three mod sets. Have a gg link for this person?

https://swgoh.gg/p/562198273/
    Thats his gg link.
    1 of 2 big kraken in my arena.
  • A couple of thoughts

1. There are definitely daus where it seems rng is against you. Most days I climb to 1st with no refreshes or one refresh. But there are days where it seems like you can't win a battle even when facing the same opponents with the same team. Is it a secret nerf? No. But I imagine it feels worse when using a lesser team to start with.
    2. I was also disappointed when they reduced the hard node to 5 from 8. But after seeing that they haven't released may toons to hard nodes recently, I understand why they did it. I'm ftp and pretty well caught up on hard nodes. Sure there are toons I have left to finish but they aren't vital ones. I'm down to farming rose tico and lobot just in case and just farming gear with all remaining energy.

And I get it that newer accounts aren't there yet. But the change doesn't really slow your longterm farms. Sure it slows the panic farm for the next legendary/journey characters but if you spend all your energy on nodes that jave good characters and refresh energy, you'll still get there in the long run as long as you farm other future needs with the left over energy.

And they did make ship nodes better. So as long as they balance future releases it should be fine. That being said, it would be great if they moved older non meta characters to more places to make it easier to catch up if you haven't been playing as long. Or if you just don't view that character as worth the hard node.

On point no.1,
    I also experienced the same thing. Most noticeable from 3weeks ago.
    I found that the AI behaviour changed. Especially in JKR vs DR. Now, most of time, they targeting jolee first, not jkr or others, which made me swap **** to GK for better survival rate.
    My conclusion is, i think CG made such AI changes to up their meta team.

• A couple of thoughts

On point no.1,
    I also experienced the same thing. Most noticeable from 3weeks ago.
    I found that the AI behaviour changed. Especially in JKR vs DR. Now, most of time, they targeting jolee first, not jkr or others, which made me swap **** to GK for better survival rate.
    My conclusion is, i think CG made such AI changes to up their meta team.

Not really what I was saying. I run darth revan with a 5 star malak nd gmy to get tenacity up on offense most days.

Most days I can beat the g13 malaks just fine. But there is rng involved. Like occasionally malak will put shock on the wrong person or other bad luck. Or occasionally I'll forget to check the mods on the darth revan and the team gained enough speed to be one faster. Or they changed enough that the turn order changed and makes it harder.

The point is that once you lose a few battles, it is easy to get frustrated and start making mistakes. So a little rng can sprial into a bad day in arena. I rarely change my team or strat (unless I get a character that works better ike unlocking malak). If they were changing the ai, then the bad luck would continue for more than a day. It would continue indefinitely. That isn't what I noticed.
  • To all of you that posted helpful tips and encouraging points....thank you!

I really expected all the enraged, void of kindness, twitter zombies to respond with cutting and unhelpful remarks, but was really surprised by all the helpful/encouraging advice.

I simply overlooked the 2nd Zeta on Malak that was applying fear to Yoda when he used his AOE attack with a crit on Malak. Simple...yet dumb oversight on my part.

THANKS!
  • To all of you that posted helpful tips and encouraging points....thank you!

I really expected all the enraged, void of kindness, twitter zombies to respond with cutting and unhelpful remarks, but was really surprised by all the helpful/encouraging advice.

I simply overlooked the 2nd Zeta on Malak that was applying fear to Yoda when he used his AOE attack with a crit on Malak. Simple...yet dumb oversight on my part.

THANKS!

Yeah that'll do it. You may also want to check your mods on yoda. If you have a lot of crit chance, you may want to replace them with mods with just speed or offense. He should hit hard enough to take out opponents with ferocity without criting a lot.

Or just avoid his middle ability since there really aren't many buffs to steal anyway.