Returning player after 2 years! Looking for some opinions from all you lovely SW nerds

JanaSaberael
5 posts Member
edited September 2019
Hi, thank you for reading! I used to be pretty hard-in to the game for a good 9 months or so, prepped appropriately before opening arena, raid guild, would almost never leave top 20 and consistently could be in top 3 (almost) entirely ftp, was making zetas and punching whales ^^. After a while though, my mental health was not getting better and the game was no longer fun, just a daily chore. Lately I've been thinking about the game and strategies again, watching grand arenas played out, and wanted to come back.

I want to continue my roster, and I've done some research already like the legendaries to farm for and characters that have value in current times. I'm hoping for some more pointed advice on what natural advantages I already have to capitalize on. However, I doubt I ever want to go back to a full daily routine, so pretty casual (feel free to slander hehe) and I'm fairly sure guilds still use the same ticket system requirements....

Failing continuing and instead just starting over, how long do you think it might take to roughly get back to this point? Same amount of time or has enough changed to expedite progression?

Any lookover and feedback would be greatly appreciated! Here's my swgoh.gg:
https://swgoh.gg/p/757381154/

P.s. In addition, anybody else use an emulator as well for pc? I used to use MEmu but that was two years ago... so if there's anything that's better for performance that would be very helpful.
Post edited by JanaSaberael on

Replies

• Hi, thank you for reading! I used to be pretty hard-in to the game for a good 9 months or so, prepped appropriately before opening arena, raid guild, would almost never leave top 20 and consistently could be in top 3 (almost) entirely ftp, was making zetas and punching whales ^^. After a while though, my mental health was not getting better and the game was no longer fun, just a daily chore. Lately I've been thinking about the game and strategies again, watching grand arenas played out, and wanted to come back.

I want to continue my roster, and I've done some research already like the legendaries to farm for and characters that have value in current times. I'm hoping for some more pointed advice on what natural advantages I already have to capitalize on. However, I doubt I ever want to go back to a full daily routine, so pretty casual (feel free to slander hehe) and I'm fairly sure guilds still use the same ticket system requirements....

P.s. In addition, anybody else use an emulator as well for pc? I used to use MEmu but that was two years ago... so if there's anything that's better for performance that would be very helpful.

Run Android in Virtual Machine and log into g play.

With that account you have 0 justification in keeping it. Empire and Phoenix are where you stopped. CG is trying to make farming quality matter more with GAC amd not have squad arena be your main crystal source, but do you want to hit top 200-300 in fleet and squad arena within 1 year? If so, restart, if not keep working up:
    G republic
    Empire
    Phoenix
    Separatists
    Revans
  • JanaSaberael
    5 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Hi, thank you for reading! I used to be pretty hard-in to the game for a good 9 months or so, prepped appropriately before opening arena, raid guild, would almost never leave top 20 and consistently could be in top 3 (almost) entirely ftp, was making zetas and punching whales ^^. After a while though, my mental health was not getting better and the game was no longer fun, just a daily chore. Lately I've been thinking about the game and strategies again, watching grand arenas played out, and wanted to come back.

Run Android in Virtual Machine and log into g play.

With that account you have 0 justification in keeping it. Empire and Phoenix are where you stopped. CG is trying to make farming quality matter more with GAC and not have squad arena be your main crystal source, but do you want to hit top 200-300 in fleet and squad arena within 1 year? If so, restart, if not keep working up:
    G republic
    Empire
    Phoenix
    Separatists
    Revans

All pretty replaceable eh? I'm not surprised ofc, just kind of attached still. I only just want to play for what's fun, starting over to go all-in again is not what I want to do. If there were an alternate version of this game without mobile gimmicks and finickiness, and still able to fight others' teams I'd easily put 1k+ hours as soon I could and more.

But thank you regardless, that is what I was gonna aim towards. ^_^ Could I ask more for why galactic republic? Is it only for Padme lead team, or for ships, clones...?
  • Not sure if your comment about guilds was meant to suggest you wouldn’t join one, but if so I strongly recommend against that decision. There are plenty of casual guilds out there without 600/day requirements.

Emulators work fine. Not sure what you mean by “mobile gimmicks.”
  • JanaSaberael
    5 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Liath wrote: »
    Not sure if your comment about guilds was meant to suggest you wouldn’t join one, but if so I strongly recommend against that decision. There are plenty of casual guilds out there without 600/day requirements.

Emulators work fine. Not sure what you mean by “mobile gimmicks.”

Ahhh yeah I suppose you're right, tbh I didn't even think about that xP Thank you!

By 'mobile gimmicks' I mean along the lines of energy timeout, daily caps galore and pay to win stuff, among others.
  • You'll get a lot of "start over" comments I'm sure. You've already got Thrawn, Palpatine and R2 though, which is a pretty decent chunk of farming you'd have to do all over again. I might stick it out.

It really depends how much you want to compete in arena. I came back from a similar break with less than you (legendaries didn't even exist yet when I stopped playing) and kept playing my old account. I still struggle with squad arena over a year later - I hover somewhere in the top 50, mostly - but the main issue isn't teams, it's mods. You'll be facing a speed gap that you honestly may not ever overcome, short of spending a truly ridiculous amount on mod energy refreshes.

I do manage a decent crystal flow via fleet - I got a new fleet shard since fleets didn't exist yet either when I originally stopped. So you may be able to swing that as well.

Also, some of the old, "bad" characters you've got starred up have recently been reworked and are actually really good now - in particular the Separatists.

If arena isn't that important to you, I'd say it's worth keeping what you've got. If you're the kind of person who can't have fun if you aren't taking top spots, you'll need to start over.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• JanaSaberael
    5 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Jarvind wrote: »
    You'll get a lot of "start over" comments I'm sure. You've already got Thrawn, Palpatine and R2 though, which is a pretty decent chunk of farming you'd have to do all over again. I might stick it out.

It really depends how much you want to compete in arena. I came back from a similar break with less than you (legendaries didn't even exist yet when I stopped playing) and kept playing my old account. I still struggle with squad arena over a year later - I hover somewhere in the top 50, mostly - but the main issue isn't teams, it's mods. You'll be facing a speed gap that you honestly may not ever overcome, short of spending a truly ridiculous amount on mod energy refreshes.

I do manage a decent crystal flow via fleet - I got a new fleet shard since fleets didn't exist yet either when I originally stopped. So you may be able to swing that as well.

Also, some of the old, "bad" characters you've got starred up have recently been reworked and are actually really good now - in particular the Separatists.

If arena isn't that important to you, I'd say it's worth keeping what you've got. If you're the kind of person who can't have fun if you aren't taking top spots, you'll need to start over.

Thank you very much! Yeah I don't know if I'm up to pushing the limit again (or ever), when I mostly just want to get characters, upgrade/level/gear and play with them at this point. I believe my fleet shard may be the same, and my ships are in worse state then my team was even back then xD Hitting top 50 again would be cool and that's all I care to aim for at most for arena, but otherwise staying competitive enough for a good fight is fun. After two years my rank was 764, which could certainly be alot worse.

So it seems like Phoenix, Old Republic, and Separatists are what I'd like to go for most, so I'll look into that some more.
  • It is true that it's generally better to start over if you want a serious shot at getting top spots in arena. However with some other game modes offering competing rewards, it's not as black and white as it used to be. If you're playing just for the fun of collecting the toons you like (and of course still being moderately successful), then by all means, carry on.

Best of luck, and have fun!
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Hi, thank you for reading! I used to be pretty hard-in to the game for a good 9 months or so, prepped appropriately before opening arena, raid guild, would almost never leave top 20 and consistently could be in top 3 (almost) entirely ftp, was making zetas and punching whales ^^.

[...]

Failing continuing and instead just starting over, how long do you think it might take to roughly get back to this point? Same amount of time or has enough changed to expedite progression?

If you continue playing your current account you will have access to all game modes including TW, TB and GAC from day one, and you can enter a guild that at least farms hAAT. If you restart you will miss out on both the fun and rewards from those game modes. Yes, the climb in arena(s) will be very slow, but if you hang in there, it can be interesting and fun as well. I cryo'ed an alt for 14 months, and have since been able to take 1st in fleet arena for more than a year now. In squad arena that account only just broke top-20 in squad arena a few days ago (surrounded by 4.5 - 5 million GP accounts). It's doable.

Restarting may help you to a better arena rank, but at the risk that you might end up in the low ranks of a shard. Since "everybody" is active on a new shard, climbing would be difficult. If you plan on playing casualy, you won't be able to maintain top arena ranks for long anyway (should you start out at the top of a new shard). You advance slightly faster in the begging today, than you did 2 years ago, but not nearly enough to make a restart worthwhile.

I'd recommend to keep your current account, but in the end, all that matters is:

What will be more fun for you?
  • ‘Fly, you fool!’ (C)
  • RUN...RUN NOW
  • Quit before this game ruins your life.
  • Slothmaster
    247 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Going after Separatists and in particular the separatist droids will net you Padmé. You can do the event with garbage allies if you at least have a strong General Grievous (trust me he’s worth it).

The reason people are pushing these teams right now is that in lieu of dark side Territory battles having recently launched, with light side to launch soon, its likely we will be seeing some more new characters released relating to the clone wars. I’d say bets are on an upcoming Galactic Republic meta, but there is also speculation of a new “Epic Confrontation” kind of event that might involve both Separatists and Galactic Republic. Either way, lots of new and upcoming content for those factions.

(Long term I recommend the iconic Rebel and Empire characters for the same reason - since Jedi Luke isn’t in the game yet, I’d be wary of a super-legendary event requiring mythic characters like Chewbacca, C-3PO, Commander Luke, maybe Hermit Yoda but I digress)

You probably aren’t totally aware of Grand Arena and it’s matchmaking yet, but I should warn you: don’t gear characters unnecessarily. It’s a tough mode, but you have a young enough account that you can avoid the mistakes players like me made ages ago and have fun with it. Long story short, keep your Galactic Power down by only investing in characters that you fully intend on maxing out, and I’d recommend doing this one team, or even one character at a time. The exception to this is characters required for certain events like T3-M4 for Revan. Probably don’t max T3-M4 lol, but you need him at like.. gear 8. 🤷‍♂️ Doing this will really help you not get matched against people out of your league, which can pretty much ruin the experience of a month-long event.

Other than that, try and find a good guild, have fun, and good luck.

Edit: also heads up for some Resistance and First Order stuff with Episode 9 coming this December. Might just be marquees, but First Order doesn’t have a legendary yet and surely there will be a new Rey.