New Design looks horrible

2Next

Replies

• Dont like new design. And plus all laggy now and my eyes hurt when see g13 neon color
  • XaVii wrote: »
    New design looks horrible, everything looks so small and messy. Please bring back some option to change to old view. I dont understand why you need to change everything only for adding a relics button.
    New design:
    npxtncpf9fxm.jpeg
    How could look with old design:
    jo9g2ba7lmef.jpeg
    Its only an example. Whats your opinion?

Problem with your own design is that there is nowhere for ships to go. Every pilot has a link to their own ship, but Shaak doesn't pilot a ship so she has no link. You would've been better off using the example of a pilot.

Honestly, if you remove the gear slots there's plenty of space for the relic without changing the design radically like they did now. Right now, the relic is just a giant locked button taking up expensive screen real estate for gear levels 1-12.

This whole redesign is (1) unnecessary, (2) ugly and (3) slow. How the heck did it get through design and beta testing?
  • Rake6 wrote: »
    I hate how zetas look. Horrible. And I can't assign loadouts before I click on mods. That sucks. Also bring back the old G13 color and only apply new colors when you upgrade relics.

I really didn't like the previous G13 color. It was at times hard to discern. This highlighting, glowing makes it very clear. But to each their own.
  • The new design seems functionally usable and not much different than the old from that aspect.

That said, why is EA using my money to fund something that adds nothing to the game? Where is actual new content? Not copy paste TBs, not copy paste arena into GAC, not new characters to buy, not new gear or relics to buy. Where is something actually new and interesting to play? Why isn't my money being used on that?
  • Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this new design didn't quite hit the sweet spot!
    I've done a quick hack of how it could keep the main bits of the UI update but at the same time incorporate some improvements (in my opinion!) Not a "PRO" result but here's what I've done:
    1) Move the Gear & Power info up the top out of the way of the character animation
    2) Increase the size of the character mini-icon and add an integrated 'find' as part of it since lots of people seemed to think that section was now too small
    3) Reverted to Favourite Ribbon and Stats Centre icons far more like the originals, the golden ribbon in particular seemed silly to remove/change
    4) Added more obvious colourings around the left of the Abilities to more clearly show which ones are 'ready for upgrade' or 'need upgrading but don't currently have enough mats'
    5) There's also still room either side of the character's legs area for a "Ship" icon for pilot/crew characters
    cfcf24362uv8.png
  • This new design isn't good, the character list looks horrible as well.
    There's no alignment anymore, looks like a mess.
    ndzbwk3qvut6.png

Why not something more harmonic like this, I don't know. But the way it's is really bad.
    f3qdykjtrz2j.png

Also, this bright color is awful you should keep the old and good G13 color.
  • NemesisIIYou
    24 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    XaVii wrote: »
    New design looks horrible, everything looks so small and messy. Please bring back some option to change to old view. I dont understand why you need to change everything only for adding a relics button.
    New design:
    npxtncpf9fxm.jpeg
    How could look with old design:
    jo9g2ba7lmef.jpeg
    Its only an example. Whats your opinion?

Thank you for providing an example of a far more user-friendly option. Basically, keeping the original look and simply reducing the ludicrous size of the relic icon. I work in user experience/ user design, so maybe that's why the new look was so offensive to me. Smaller, less intuitive, more clicks... these are all things we strive away from in my line of work as they make things more difficult for the average user. I'm wondering if they have no UI/UX designer working in the office? Hopefully they listen to player feedback to make changes, such as the example you provided.

Edit: The ships icon (for pilots) could be placed next to the relic icon, where your red pointer arrow is currently located. There is room for both, if they are similarly sized, as in your example.
    Post edited by NemesisIIYou on
  • The new design seems functionally usable and not much different than the old from that aspect.

That said, why is EA using my money to fund something that adds nothing to the game? Where is actual new content? Not copy paste TBs, not copy paste arena into GAC, not new characters to buy, not new gear or relics to buy. Where is something actually new and interesting to play? Why isn't my money being used on that?

Because it's being used to fund development of the new game, not this one
  • C'mon dude, they invested 1000 man hours into this!
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • TarlaBille
    77 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Acrofales wrote: »
    Right now, the relic is just a giant locked button taking up expensive screen real estate for gear levels 1-12.
    This is the biggest issue to me. There's a lot to like about the design, but the Relic button takes up SO much space for something that's only relevant to 1% of my characters. Meanwhile the find shards button has been removed and the replacement made incredibly tiny.
  • While the new design is a bit more visually appealing, it's less functional overall.

1. Favourite icon is significantly more difficult to distinguish between on/off.
    2. When an ability is maxed, it dims the second line which also contains the Basic, Special, Unique, Leader tag, which is arguably more important than the name of the ability itself. I'd take a cue from ships and move the ability level into the icon's lower corner, so it's either a #, an omega, a zeta, or a checkmark (for maxed non-zeta/omega abilities). Then brighten up the ability type tag so it's as visible as the name.
    3. No Find button is bad. Remove the mini-potrait beside the stars and replace with find.
    4. Jumping to the mod screen seems to have a mod initially selected, showing its stats instead of the heroes stats and the Loadout button. I'm guessing this is a bug and not intended.
    5. Mod loadout on main screen is small enough on a phone that it's very difficult to distinguish certain set types, especially if it's purple.
    6. Use of space on a rectangular phone is pretty bad. Lots of empty space with tons of stuff crammed at the edges. Relic and ship button seem like they could fit nicely under each set of 3 gear slots. Instead the relic causes most Legendary and HJ heroes' abilities to scroll.

Seems like they dropped the ball on UX pretty badly in this redesign.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • kalidor wrote: »
    While the new design is a bit more visually appealing, it's less functional overall.

1. Favourite icon is significantly more difficult to distinguish between on/off.
    2. When an ability is maxed, it dims the second line which also contains the Basic, Special, Unique, Leader tag, which is arguably more important than the name of the ability itself. I'd take a cue from ships and move the ability level into the icon's lower corner, so it's either a #, an omega, a zeta, or a checkmark (for maxed non-zeta/omega abilities). Then brighten up the ability type tag so it's as visible as the name.
    3. No Find button is bad. Remove the mini-potrait beside the stars and replace with find.
    4. Jumping to the mod screen seems to have a mod initially selected, showing its stats instead of the heroes stats and the Loadout button. I'm guessing this is a bug and not intended.
    5. Mod loadout on main screen is small enough on a phone that it's very difficult to distinguish certain set types, especially if it's purple.
    6. Use of space on a rectangular phone is pretty bad. Lots of empty space with tons of stuff crammed at the edges. Relic and ship button seem like they could fit nicely under each set of 3 gear slots. Instead the relic causes most Legendary and HJ heroes' abilities to scroll.

Yeah the Favourite ribbon change, and the Find button change were a couple of my bugbears too, I altered them a bit within the current UI as an example for them of how they could still work with the new look:
    5b1l2nhugm9r.gif
  • The new design is very good.
    Maybe someone has an idea to make it even better...

o:)
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    A couple of things:

1) The ability texts are "problematic" - both the text and corresponding images seems low-res and is harder to read/see. The mods, likewise (lo-res/fuzzy looking)

2) There seems to be a lot of wasted space around the character - which also seems on odd choice given the small/cramped feel of the rest of the UI.

3) No "FIND" labels for shards or mod interface for new players is a very bad idea. I'm sure for the rest of us it will be second nature, but not a good design choice.

Overall, it's not very good, honestly. And historically, I have had nothing but high praises for the sound and art design teams for this game. This is not some of their better work. I realize the key with the new UI it to make the Relic icon a big focus, but making everything else look sloppy and cheap is not the best way this could have been done. A solid "meh".

Summarized my thoughts as well. Way too much dead space and everything is so small an old man like me can't hardly see any of it. Make everything except the toon 50% bigger and fill in the dead space.
  • Austin9370 wrote: »
    I like the new design. Beginning to be too cluttered previously.

Even more cluttered now.
  • kalidor wrote: »
    While the new design is a bit more visually appealing, it's less functional overall.

Exactly.
  • FilthyJawa wrote: »
    I like it except for the print size. Maybe I'm revealing my hand, but yeah, it's a little too fine print for me :(

The font size is pretty much the same. In fact, some of the longer ability names used a smaller font in the old interface.
    sgimctqq8r8f.png

That being said, the new font looks less crisp to me and some of the color contrasts are a bit on the low side.

The font looks less crisp because it's no longer benefiting from the drop shadow behind it (which is a hugely important tool for making small graphics stand out). The drop shadow is technically still there but a shadow against a dark background doesn't do much at all thus decrease readability for most players.

Also, shrinking the font for ability-type will throw most players. People care most about how many specials and uniques a toon has, as well as whether or not they have a leader ability. They couldn't care less about what a toon's 2nd Special is named. This is a case of designers trying to show off their cake decorating skills while forgetting that people mostly just care whether the cake is chocolate or not.

Neither of these things is nearly as horrific a design faux pas and making the favorites flag completely blend with the background but they certainly don't help people get excited about the overall change either.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    What the font really needs is purple comic sans.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I think they designed this on a 80" UHD TV. I can get used to the UI changes but the lag has got to go. Thumbs down overall.
  • They took out the important thing for me that am still in the need to farm tons of characters,the "find" option and i dont like as well the blue flag for fav chars,it was fine before.
    Its a bit laggy yeah,but they acknoledged that and they gonna fix it soon.
  • I don't like it, I don't like that they changed the "find shards" button, I especially don't like that they changed the character display but kept ship display the same
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    They changed the health bar and condensed it since the auto button moved up

Not a big fan of it at this point of time
  • not only it is unspeakably hideous but it's also so slow that i'm no longer able to play on my phone. i was forced to install an android emulator on my pc to be able to continue playing this, but it's still insanely slow and the UI is pathetic now.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    A couple of things:

1) The ability texts are "problematic" - both the text and corresponding images seems low-res and is harder to read/see. The mods, likewise (lo-res/fuzzy looking)

2) There seems to be a lot of wasted space around the character - which also seems on odd choice given the small/cramped feel of the rest of the UI.

3) No "FIND" labels for shards or mod interface for new players is a very bad idea. I'm sure for the rest of us it will be second nature, but not a good design choice.

Overall, it's not very good, honestly. And historically, I have had nothing but high praises for the sound and art design teams for this game. This is not some of their better work. I realize the key with the new UI it to make the Relic icon a big focus, but making everything else look sloppy and cheap is not the best way this could have been done. A solid "meh".

I don't really have any issues with the new design as a whole, but I definitely agree re: wasted, blank space, and somewhat blurry text and mods. Come on EA/CG, where's the love for us gamers with vision problems?
    Guild Leader of CHAL | Member of the WWL Alliance
  • My only gripe (UI-wise) is the hilariously small countdown timer on arena matches.
  • Wow those relic component counts are small. For a size comparison, my index finger covers the first two on my phone, and a bit of the third. That text under them is tiny.
    rdf4g1151j6k.png
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • My complain is about how laggy is the game now.
  • bring back the old G13 color and only apply new colors when you upgrade relics.

THIS.

You're not getting any relic bonus at all until you upgrade your relic to at least Tier1, so at RT=0 you should have no neon color change. Also, the neon is a bit obnoxious, so allowing things to remain non-neon for a touch longer would be nice.

Also this. Bring back yellow or otherwise make it more easy to understand when favorite is 'on' and when it is 'off'. I honestly was clicking the thing back and forth several times and couldn't intuitively understand which was more "highlighted" than the other. I had to back out to the inventory view to determine whether the toon was favorited since I had forgotten what the favorite button looked like when I started.

Favoriting should be just plain obvious. Currently it's not.
    3) No "FIND" labels for shards or mod interface for new players is a very bad idea.
    combined with numerous complaints that the relic icon takes up too much space...

As long as a toon is less than 7*, it can't have a Relic (since you need 7* to get to g12 and you need g13 to get a relic). For toons that haven't reached 7*, putting a big "Find Shards" button would be a great use of that space, making it easy for new players to get shards and not distracting them with a Relic that is irrelevant to the toon at less than 7* anyway.
  • The one thing that I do like about the new layout is the little graphic showing how far along you are on shards for a character. Otherwise I feel that everything else was too compacted.