Where is this headed?

Prev13
VonZant
3843 posts Member
edited September 2019
Had the flu last few days and didnt feel like logging in and during brief periods of lucidity I was able to reflect some. I think Ive historically been generally positive about the game never faulted the devs for making money and think they should do so. Ive been playing since Dec 2016 or so. Have spent some money but probably not enough to make a blip. I LOVE GAC and the new GTB and reworks, for the record.

Short Question: Where is this all going and what will the Episode IX peroid bring to increase "ease of access" into the later game? I would respectfully request a statement on where this is leading for the future because the here and now seems bleak.

Because right now I am seeing a lot less "Star Wars" and a lot more of "Pavlovian Science Wars" in this game. I understand it needs to be advancement and progression based to make money. Grindy and addictive are not required though.

Massive gear and salvage and crystal drains from gearing all of these new teams. Kyros, g13 + finishers, Relics (g14-20), signal amps etc. I feel like Im missing some.

What is this leading to? Where is the payoff for the long term non-whale but paying players? I feel like it's been stated that there is some relief planned (but honestly moving kyros and stun guns and carbs and finishers, etc all to regular energy makes me not believe this)?

EDIT: For reference, I finish 15-50 in arena, 1-20 in fleet, top 1-10 in Raids, and until the last final where I was too sick to attack, had only 1 loss in all of GAC. And I feel like I can't keep pace. What else am I supposed to do?

Because being sick and not logging in for a few days has made me realize that no matter how much fun I have here (and I have had a lot), I don't actually have to log in.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• I'm not surprised they added more grinding and gearing stuff to do. If level 100 would be coming to the game together with a new training droid that costs 50 bucks and all of this to be happening in the next month that would be the icing on the cake! Perfecto! There are endless possibilities regarding the character upgrade, and it wouldn't be surprising to me. Personally, the game ended when they released Darth Revan with the "Cry More" gearing.
  • I’d like to know where the game is headed as well. It really feels like SWGoH2 is on the horizon and this platform is just lessons learned.
  • For reference, I finish 15-50 in arena, 1-20 in fleet, top 1-10 in Raids, and until the last final where I was too sick to attack, had only 1 loss in all of GAC. And I feel like I can't keep pace. And even if I spent a small amount every month, would still not keep up. What else am I supposed to do?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    VonZant wrote: »
    For reference, I finish 15-50 in arena, 1-20 in fleet, top 1-10 in Raids, and until the last final where I was too sick to attack, had only 1 loss in all of GAC. And I feel like I can't keep pace. And even if I spent a small amount every month, would still not keep up. What else am I supposed to do?

What “pace” are you trying to keep?
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    For reference, I finish 15-50 in arena, 1-20 in fleet, top 1-10 in Raids, and until the last final where I was too sick to attack, had only 1 loss in all of GAC. And I feel like I can't keep pace. And even if I spent a small amount every month, would still not keep up. What else am I supposed to do?

My doctor says me pace should be at a level 6 while on the treadmill.
  • Liath wrote: »

Thats a good question. What pace do you think is reasonable with those metrics? On the meta? A meta behind? Or, outside of arena: On the meta, 2 pve Meta teams behind?

I'm a 2nd meta guy. Always have been. Comfortable with being "behind" but always felt like if I was in a pinch could buy a small amount of crystals to complete a required team if needed. I dont think thats possible anymore and I have pretty decent in-game income. I dont squander resources or upgrade stuff until its necessary.

Regardless - they have been saying they are going to make it easier to get to end game. Where is evidence of that? The Kyros and updates to dailies is nice. But when all 170+ toons in game require them now and zero were required before ... One could also look at it and say instead of you now forcing a farm of a new 8500+ ability mats you are now only requiring me to farm 8000 new ability mats because you are giving me "free" ones in dailies...

This is an assumption but assuming next epic confrontation going to require relic equipped toons.

Like I said I'm all for them making money. But I also like people to deliver on their promises. Where is this easier gearing? I would like a statement on that.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

Thats a good question. What pace do you think is reasonable with those metrics? On the meta? A meta behind? Or, outside of arena: On the meta, 2 pve Meta teams behind?

I'm a 2nd meta guy. Always have been. Comfortable with being "behind" but always felt like if I was in a pinch could buy a small amount of crystals to complete a required team if needed. I dont think thats possible anymore and I have pretty decent in-game income. I dont squander resources or upgrade stuff until its necessary.

Regardless - they have been saying they are going to make it easier to get to end game. Where is evidence of that? The Kyros and updates to dailies is nice. But when all 170+ toons in game require them now and zero were required before ... One could also look at it and say instead of you now forcing a farm of a new 8500+ ability mats you are now only requiring me to farm 8000 new ability mats because you are giving me "free" ones in dailies...

This is an assumption but assuming next epic confrontation going to require relic equipped toons.

Like I said I'm all for them making money. But I also like people to deliver on their promises. Where is this easier gearing? I would like a statement on that.

With respect to pacing, I don’t know as I guess I’m not really in a comparable situation. I have prioritized getting event characters the first time through extensive hoarding and still feel pretty comfortable with my stashes. My main concern is that I become too paralyzed by not knowing what’s coming next to work on other things that might be fun or helpful in the meantime.

With respect to making gearing easier, they have made statements, pretty recently, to the effect that the relic system is a stepping stone to allowing them to do that. They have said that once that system is in place they are going to focus on improving the experience for newer players, including by making earlier gear levels more accessible. Kyros aren’t going to change, and getting to g13 will remain a challenge, but in theory, the older bottlenecks like stun guns ought to ease up. Whether that actually happens remains to be seen, and whether it happens on a timetable anybody outside of CG is happy with is also another matter.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    I would suggest a wait and see approach

I know everyone is claiming relics are gear 14 to 20 but from the video yesterday, it’s very friendly

Your stun gun is equally as good as mace challenge gear

Sure the gear to salvage ratio is high but you can farm any gear from any node to increase relic abilities rather than specific gear

Instead of waiting for stun guns to show up in ****, you can just use the useless gear you got from the forest moon assault battle

Regarding keeping up, the question becomes who are you trying to keep up against?

Global Players? GAC swill always pair you with players who are on your level through matchmaking so you don’t have to keep up

Guild? Move to another guild where there is not a big difference between you and top end players

Squad Arena? That’s the only place you are in constant competition to keep up but since every meta lasts 4 months you just need to invest in a squad every 4 months that can handle the newest meta — toughest and most taxing thing to keep up against I’ll agree with new character progressions being released every few months increasing the gap between the META team and your team
  • @VonZant I totally agree. I had a similar experience after being on vacation and realized there was a lot of obligation and much less reward. (I’ve played since 2016 and stepped away twice before.) And that’s why I stopped playing a little over a week ago. Great game. I just didn’t want to spend so much of my time on it anymore.
  • I always wonder if the individuals who want to keep up truly would like to have this happen for everyone.

Its the journey not the destination in this kind of game, and its the paying customers that keep a game like this viable. Why would a big spender want those who dont be as strong as them? For that matter why would a free to play player (of whom I am one) want someone who puts less effort then them and doesnt even support the game monitarily be as strong as they are?

It is a necessity for EA to keep pushing the "end game" further and further as more people climb in power. Sure it is a bit of a balancing act and can be discouraging to those trying to compete with whales...but thats where the sharper focus, better strategy, and more grinding helps level the playing field.

I personally dont mind the chase...what I would not like is getting beaten by someone who invests less in this game either less money or less time then I do because the end game has leveled out. That would truly be an "end" (of) game.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    I never went in on the meta until DR/Malak and I've fully enjoyed it. Prior to that I worked on counters. That's a lot more effort, and not quite as much value returned crystal-wise, but it was a different kind of fun.

The thing about this game is that there's truly many ways to enjoy it. Just look at our guild leader. He doesn't enjoy GAC and he doesn't prioritize arena. He generally ignores raids AFAIK. He has G12 Jawas for goodness sake. And he has a blast doing it. He likes building **** squads and doing guild events. He even runs a Jawa discord for some reason. I guess because he has G12 Jawas and someone had to do it.

Figure out what you love about the game, and focus on that. If you lose some rounds of GAC, or hang top 50 arena instead of top 20, you can still have fun.

We'll support you whatever you decide, but we hope you'll stick around. :smile:
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • It's still possible to keep up in arena and other areas if you focus and put effort in. Typically the last 2 or 3 meta teams do ok in arena. Jkr can still win on offense against malak. Darth revan without malak can do so more easily. And of course malak can crush everything on offense.

The point is if you started focusing when malak hit the first time, he was obtainable ftp. Even when the meta shifts maxing out malak will make you competitive to the point of top 10 if you mod smartly and know how to play.

If you don't have malak, focus on the next meta when it comes out. You may not get it the first time but you'll get it the 2nd. Then you'll be high enough in arena to hoard crystals to potentially get the neta after that the first time.

Other areas are easier to keep up with. Raids are dependent on your guild. If that's most important, join a guild that can beat heroic but doesn't have a ton of super high scorers. But by now most vertern players should have well established teams and scores depend more on time and effort than teams.

Tw and GAC automatically correct for changes in gp so unless you max cup you should be fine.

Tb is only a matter of time before most guilds master it.

So really arena is the only place where you have to keep up with high spenders and if you follow the advice above it is entirely possible.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    He has Malak. That's not the issue.
  • TVF wrote: »
    I never went in on the meta until DR/Malak and I've fully enjoyed it. Prior to that I worked on counters. That's a lot more effort, and not quite as much value returned crystal-wise, but it was a different kind of fun.

The thing about this game is that there's truly many ways to enjoy it. Just look at our guild leader. He doesn't enjoy GAC and he doesn't prioritize arena. He generally ignores raids AFAIK. He has G12 Jawas for goodness sake. And he has a blast doing it. He likes building **** squads and doing guild events. He even runs a Jawa discord for some reason. I guess because he has G12 Jawas and someone had to do it.

Figure out what you love about the game, and focus on that. If you lose some rounds of GAC, or hang top 50 arena instead of top 20, you can still have fun.

Yeah Ive never cared much for being top in arena. I always have a good team and get top 50 but thats fine for me. I do just fine in GAC. None of that is the issue.

I guess my concerns are this:

1. I can't stand another whosit or widget or whatsit or sprocket to gear. I can't keep up with the current ones and they have added at least 3 new ones in the last few months. Same with shop currencies. I don't mind gearing toons but why make it so mind-numbingly confusing? Exchange rates and conversions and arcane naming systems are simply designed for one thing. To confuse/frustrate the customer into spending more money. Just call them all "Stun Guns" and be done with it. Stun Guns!

2. The part about the game I loved - collecting and gearing and mixing and matching toons seems to have taken a back seat to "fill in endless boxes with giant amounts of stuff to change the color of your dudes (or dudettes) portrait." Thats not selling content or quality content. That's a "press the lever get a crumb" device. Give me good content and I will spend money. Make me fill in tiny boxes with whosits and widgets endlessly and I dont see the point.

Anway - and Im completely speculating now, but the new leader came from their new project. Was he removed from that project? Is he only working on swgoh? What department on the new project did he come from? What was he in charge of there that guided his move to be in charge here?

I know they said this will stay their #1 priority, but logic tells me otherwise. I'm willing to be wrong and want to be convinced I am. Because I love this game. But I strongly doubt the new project was abandoned for this old one. At best, they are "concurrent" developments.

I just want them to say is "The reason we are making all of these changes is for X and it should give you relief Y.
  • I kind of just snapped a while back. I stopped caring about meta, how far I am along, etc. Now I just work on stuff that sounds good at the time. I've fallen back a bit, but it doesn't really matter to me. And now I've got some oddball decently viable toons that are kind of fun to use. And I'm grinding Rose Tico just because nobody else is. Will it ever be helpful? I doubt it, but I'll be that one guy who has her lol!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    If their Q&A answers on the subject don’t satisfy you I’m not sure there’s anything they could realistically say that would.
  • VonZant wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Yeah Ive never cared much for being top in arena. I always have a good team and get top 50 but thats fine for me. I do just fine in GAC. None of that is the issue.

1. I can't stand another whosit or widget or whatsit or sprocket to gear. I can't keep up with the current ones and they have added at least 3 new ones in the last few months. Same with shop currencies. I don't mind gearing toons but why make it so mind-numbingly confusing? Exchange rates and conversions and arcane naming systems are simply designed for one thing. To confuse/frustrate the customer into spending more money. Just call them all "Stun Guns" and be done with it. Stun Guns!

2. The part about the game I loved - collecting and gearing and mixing and matching toons seems to have taken a back seat to "fill in endless boxes with giant amounts of stuff to change the color of your dudes (or dudettes) portrait." Thats not selling content or quality content. That's a "press the lever get a crumb" device. Give me good content and I will spend money. Make me fill in tiny boxes with whosits and widgets endlessly and I dont see the point.

Anway - and Im completely speculating now, but the new leader came from their new project. Was he removed from that project? Is he only working on swgoh? What department on the new project did he come from? What was he in charge of there that guided his move to be in charge here?

I know they said this will stay their #1 priority, but logic tells me otherwise. I'm willing to be wrong and want to be convinced I am. Because I love this game. But I strongly doubt the new project was abandoned for this old one. At best, they are "concurrent" developments.

I just want them to say is "The reason we are making all of these changes is for X and it should give you relief Y.

That is understandable. They may have harder content coming after ls geo tb, they may not.

I'm guessing the new gearing was because too many krackens filled out g13 and have nothing to work on. I know there are a few big spenders in my guild that have 40 or more g13 already. I'm guessing they want to make sure they don't finish everything and get bored.

For that to work, more content and more newer player friendly updates need to follow. Hopefully they will.
  • @DarkHelmet1138 I do appreciate the advice but me not being able to compete in the various areas of the game are not the issue. I perform well and contribute and score as high enough in arena and do very well in GAC. Being behind in the arena meta isn't the issue and never has been.

• Jeddiewan wrote: »
    I kind of just snapped a while back. I stopped caring about meta, how far I am along, etc. Now I just work on stuff that sounds good at the time. I've fallen back a bit, but it doesn't really matter to me. And now I've got some oddball decently viable toons that are kind of fun to use. And I'm grinding Rose Tico just because nobody else is. Will it ever be helpful? I doubt it, but I'll be that one guy who has her lol!

No you won't I know several people who are farming rose and holdo just in case for ep 9 content

That is understandable. They may have harder content coming after ls geo tb, they may not.

I'm guessing the new gearing was because too many krackens filled out g13 and have nothing to work on. I know there are a few big spenders in my guild that have 40 or more g13 already. I'm guessing they want to make sure they don't finish everything and get bored.

For that to work, more content and more newer player friendly updates need to follow. Hopefully they will.

Actually - that is a good point. Maybe the top end consumed the Whale content faster than they thought and are giving them more?

I guess Id just like some more beef with my burger. ;)
    @DarkHelmet1138 I do appreciate the advice but me not being able to compete in the various areas of the game are not the issue. I perform well and contribute and score as high enough in arena and do very well in GAC. Being behind in the arena meta isn't the issue and never has been.

Sorry. It sounded like you were worried about whales getting too far ahead of you.

But if you're worried about future content, this is a necessary step. They have to make new content hard enough that guilds can't immediately beat it. Making the new content insanely hard for g12 and adding gear or levels is the only way to really fix that. I am kinda surprised the relics came first (as I don't think they are needed for geo tb to be beatable at max stars).

But I'm guessing we'll get some content that will give whales a reason to spend on them.

Actually - that is a good point. Maybe the top end consumed the Whale content faster than they thought and are giving them more?

I guess Id just like some more beef with my burger. ;)

It does make sense most long-term whales probably already had large numbers of g12+ toons missing only the one piece.

I took my arena team and a few other toons to g13 without spending hardly anything within a week or two. It stands to reason that those that spend were already close and finished many toons rather quickly.
  • TVF wrote: »

Except the issue with that approach I that your gearing rate is going to be much slower if you ignore PvP. I wanna gear other squads that aren't meta, but then my payout is going to tank and I'll have no way to gear them. It's not like we're getting the same amount of resources and just choose to spend it differently, it's that if you aren't pvo focused you can't earn enough crystals to feel comfortable
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    edited September 2019

Except the issue with that approach I that your gearing rate is going to be much slower if you ignore PvP. I wanna gear other squads that aren't meta, but then my payout is going to tank and I'll have no way to gear them. It's not like we're getting the same amount of resources and just choose to spend it differently, it's that if you aren't pvo focused you can't earn enough crystals to feel comfortable

You are correct, you can't gear as much if you follow my advice.

My advice is to stop caring about gearing everything and just work on stuff at whatever pace makes you happiest.

Also, OP has Malak. His rank is not going to "tank."
  • i kinda don't care to "keep pace" anymore because i see some guild mates trying to "keep pace" spending hundreds weekly on nontangible **** that they will never feel rewarded for having. so you spend hundreds weekly for what? bragging rights to say "meeeh my shaak ti is 7* g13 already, what's yours peasant?" lol woopty doo on your shaak ti, or your malak, or your top 50 rank in whatever. in the meantime i have new running shoes, upgraded the tile in my kitchen, bought my daughter dance classes, helped my mother buy a new car. all for the same amount you spent in a month on this game. "keeping pace" is a matter of perspective and priority i guess
  • UNDE4DLY wrote: »
    i kinda don't care to "keep pace" anymore because i see some guild mates trying to "keep pace" spending hundreds weekly on nontangible **** that they will never feel rewarded for having. so you spend hundreds weekly for what? bragging rights to say "meeeh my shaak ti is 7* g13 already, what's yours peasant?" lol woopty doo on your shaak ti, or your malak, or your top 50 rank in whatever. in the meantime i have new running shoes, upgraded the tile in my kitchen, bought my daughter dance classes, helped my mother buy a new car. all for the same amount you spent in a month on this game. "keeping pace" is a matter of perspective and priority i guess

Ironically, the same can be said for new tile in the kitchen or a new car. It's all just stuff.

And I'm not advocating spending on pixels or on stuff. To each their own.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    I specifically told my daughter she is done with ballet because I now have a 7* Shark Tea.
  • Liath wrote: »
    If their Q&A answers on the subject don’t satisfy you I’m not sure there’s anything they could realistically say that would.

@Liath Q&A talks about requiring Relics for new content. That part I understand.

It also talks about plan for a hopeful influx of new players and plans for them after episode IX.

It does not talk about veteran players in in between.