Returning after break

Qwik
25 posts Member
edited September 2019
So I had a really long break. Found a friend who loves star wars, showed him the game, now he's going to be playing. I would like to ask for some advice. I'm basically a new player again and the cantina looks so much more crowded than I remember from a couple years ago, and now there are ships?? And mods??

I don't know where to re-begin.

Here are some shots of my roster. Any helpful advice on what I should be focusing on?

Replies

• uno
    150 posts Member
    ur going to b so far behind in arena there's no point other than to start over...since u've been gone, they have really sped up the progression so not as daunting as it seems...look up warrior on utube, his scissorman alt he started first of this year highlighting his pillar system will do wonders for u and ur friend
  • I'm failing to see how having no heroes would put me in a better position. What is it that makes you say that? If progression isn't as daunting as it seems, why toss out all the heroes I have? Couldn't I 'start from the beginning' and pretend that I have all these bonus heroes because EA likes me and gifted them to me?
  • Because your competition in arena will be so far ahead of you, and that's a huge income source
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Qwik wrote: »
    I'm failing to see how having no heroes would put me in a better position. What is it that makes you say that? If progression isn't as daunting as it seems, why toss out all the heroes I have? Couldn't I 'start from the beginning' and pretend that I have all these bonus heroes because EA likes me and gifted them to me?

You are placed in an arena shard shortly after starting the game. If you pick that account back up you will in the same shard you were in back then, with people that have been playing for 3 years and have maxed out teams, against which you will not be able to compete for a long time. Your crystal income will be better starting over, and you will very quickly make up for what you lose in characters, especially since you don't appear to have anybody higher than 5* or g6.
  • Hey, I want to thank you for the response, I do appreciate it. I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions....

What's a good rank a person can expect to maintain? Cause I'm looking at the rewards for the squad arena and unless you can stay in the top 100, you earn very few crystals.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Hey, I want to thank you for the response, I do appreciate it. I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions....

What's a good rank a person can expect to maintain? Cause I'm looking at the rewards for the squad arena and unless you can stay in the top 100, you earn very few crystals.

I apologize that I can't really answer this question from the perspective of a new player. My guess is that early on arena shards are dominated by big spenders and by the people who hold off on reaching 28 for 6 months or whatever so that they are able to jump in with the raid characters immediately. Eventually those people hit the level/gear cap and the rest of the shard is able to start acquiring the meta characters and to catch up to where they can have a competitive meta or counter-meta team. (You won't ever catch up to the spenders in total GP, but you don't need to for purposes of arena.) A smart, dedicated player should be able to stay in the top 100, and then the top 50, after a certain amount of time, but I really don't have a good sense of what that amount of time looks like for somebody starting today.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    Hey, I want to thank you for the response, I do appreciate it. I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions....

I apologize that I can't really answer this question from the perspective of a new player. My guess is that early on arena shards are dominated by big spenders and by the people who hold off on reaching 28 for 6 months or whatever so that they are able to jump in with the raid characters immediately. Eventually those people hit the level/gear cap and the rest of the shard is able to start acquiring the meta characters and to catch up to where they can have a competitive meta or counter-meta team. (You won't ever catch up to the spenders in total GP, but you don't need to for purposes of arena.) A smart, dedicated player should be able to stay in the top 100, and then the top 50, after a certain amount of time, but I really don't have a good sense of what that amount of time looks like for somebody starting today.

CG really needs to do something about these campers that wait for new shards. It's one thing for $ to give an advantage, which is fine imo, but this has to be the worst part for new players/accounts
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Ok, My friend and I both started fresh. Thanks for the advice.

One more question....

How do I know what star count a newly activated hero is going to come out as?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Ok, My friend and I both started fresh. Thanks for the advice.

One more question....

How do I know what star count a newly activated hero is going to come out as?

Look at the number of shards you need to activate the character.

X/10 = 1* unlock
    X/25 = 2*
    X/50 = 3*
    X/80 = 4*
    X/145 = 5* (these characters are generally obtained from legendary/epic events and raids)
    X/330 = 7* (this only applies to heroes journey/ancient journey characters)
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Yep, just start over. If you had a decent number of guys at gear 9/10 or so it might be worth sticking it out, but you'll end up getting back to your current level of progression in no time, without the colossal disadvantage in arena.

The generally accepted best progression path is to farm Phoenix Squad first, then go for Emperor Palpatine and Grand Admiral Thrawn for an Empire team, followed by R2D2 and Commander Luke.

After that you've got a lot of options these days, though personally Jedi Knight Revan is probably the next team I'd work on after that. He isn't the king of arena anymore, but his team can squash just about anything other than an equally-geared Darth Revan/Malak team, and does well in raids to boot. Also, if you go this route you'll end up getting four decent-to-excellent Jedi (Ezra, Kanan, Bastila, & Jolee), so toss in one more and you can also get Grandmaster Yoda easily.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    Don't neglect ships on your new account. Fleet arena is an easier source of crystals than squad.

And mods are the key to everything. Once you unlock challenges, just keep simming mods and level up the ones that show speed.
  • Here is my progress so far. Everyone was right, imagine that.... :)

I'm not as far as I was, but the roster is filling in nicely. I did cave in and purchased two of the starter packs for $5 each, one for light side, one for dark side.

Watched and read stuff on the pillar system. Love it. I have begun working on Ezra and Hera first since they are the first ones I reach in the cantina battles. I saved up tokens and unlocked Bistan, but meant to get Chopper, lol. So now those tokens are going to activate Chopper next.

My biggest bottle neck for team strength seems to be the ability markers.

I do have another question....Until I can actually memorize these heroes abilities I always stumble on the team builds, takes me forever to find the right abilities, or discover that I lack what I need. Is there a link to a sheet that lists heroes abilities that I could sort by? Okay, sorting might be asking too much, but at least a sheet that lists all the abilities?

Would be nice to know which heroes I have to choose from when wanting to bring a specific ability to the fight WITHOUT having to click on every ability of every hero on my roster!
  • Progress so far >> https://swgoh.gg/p/276881764/<<

Is there a sheet that lists hero abilities? Need a faster way of sorting heroes by key abilities. Don't have them all memorized yet, and with new heroes being activated so often in the beginning it may take me some time to get them all memorized.

Everyone's advice has been solid! I really appreciate that. Progress goes fast and I have the opportunity to build my roster with a stronger foundation.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Not sure what you mean by sorting by abilities, but the page for each character on .gg lists the abilities.
  • Say I wanted to select a hero with a dispell ability. Is there a way to quickly sort and find all heroes who can dispell positive buffs on enemies?
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    Don't neglect ships on your new account. Fleet arena is an easier source of crystals than squad.
    Ships seem to unlock from rewards?
    crzydroid wrote: »
    And mods are the key to everything. Once you unlock challenges, just keep simming mods and level up the ones that show speed.
    I have challenges unlocked, but am currently unable to access any mod battles.

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Say I wanted to select a hero with a dispell ability. Is there a way to quickly sort and find all heroes who can dispell positive buffs on enemies?

I am not aware of anything like that.
    Ships seem to unlock from rewards?
    I have challenges unlocked, but am currently unable to access any mod battles.

Mods unlock at level 50 and ships at level 60.
  • dcbfan wrote: »

Ship may have been easier to get Crystals. With the Han Falcon in game those that have that ship dominate the shard. No where near easy anymore. Plus they give no crystals until top 50.

For a new account, HMF shouldn't be an issue for a while, given its requirements.
  • Qwik wrote: »
    Say I wanted to select a hero with a dispell ability. Is there a way to quickly sort and find all heroes who can dispell positive buffs on enemies?

Dont think you can do it in game but you can use filters on the charactor section of swgoh.gg
    eg
    https://swgoh.gg/characters/f/dispel/

• Dont think you can do it in game but you can use filters on the charactor section

This will work! Thank you :)