Relics – The tale of a Kraken

Replies

• Lol op sees two options: play and pay or quitting. The thought of continuing to play for free hasn't occurred to him even though he loves the game but doesn't know where to allocate money. Done allocate then and keep playing. Gosh, people...
  • Lol op sees two options: play and pay or quitting. The thought of continuing to play for free hasn't occurred to him even though he loves the game but doesn't know where to allocate money. Done allocate then and keep playing. Gosh, people...

Those are indeed the only two options if you want to play competitively. To compete for the next to last place isn't really an option here.
  • I like this thread, but the title should have been "Tale of a Whale", has a better ring to it. Other than that, I must say that the thread opener totally has the option to continue f2p, he still enjoys a juicy advantage on the other f2p players. But it seems rather obvious he is an entitled "person" demanding immediate fulfilment. Such a game requiring theory crafting and multi month long planning just is the wrong game for him, simple as this.
  • Doitsuyama wrote: »
    I like this thread, but the title should have been "Tale of a Whale", has a better ring to it. Other than that, I must say that the thread opener totally has the option to continue f2p, he still enjoys a juicy advantage on the other f2p players. But it seems rather obvious he is an entitled "person" demanding immediate fulfilment. Such a game requiring theory crafting and multi month long planning just is the wrong game for him, simple as this.

Wow, you really couldn't be more wrong about him. He is actually an officer in our guild and one of the most knowledgeable people I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. He has a very deep understanding of this game mechanics and enough patience to be an officer. If he quits, it will be a tremendous loss for us.

His concerns are valid and shared by many in our guild, myself included. It would be unwise to dismiss them.
    I like this thread, but the title should have been "Tale of a Whale", has a better ring to it. Other than that, I must say that the thread opener totally has the option to continue f2p, he still enjoys a juicy advantage on the other f2p players. But it seems rather obvious he is an entitled "person" demanding immediate fulfilment. Such a game requiring theory crafting and multi month long planning just is the wrong game for him, simple as this.

No, he just wants to see that he got something for his money, since the relic update he gets much less than before, so he feels his investment is now more wasteful.

I think assuming OP is entitled is overreach. OP has spent money on a digital good, almost all of which has been devalued overnight and only retains that relative value if OP spends a lot more money.

More than anything, the inclusion of Relics so close to the introduction of G13 combined with the price point of materials in the packs strikes many players as price gouging and creates a sense of betrayal in the consumer. At least it would for me if I had spent any money on G13.

"Thanks for all of your prior purchases, we're introducing a completely new tier of power in the game that is going to dwarf everything that came before it, and you're going to need it to compete at the highest levels. Don't worry, all of those G13 toons you just paid for will absolutely be required, but sadly they won't be enough. Please continue to feed the beast."

Now imagine what happens if the meta changes within the next month...
  • RawdSW wrote: »
    Doitsuyama wrote: »

Wow, you really couldn't be more wrong about him. He is actually an officer in our guild and one of the most knowledgeable people I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. He has a very deep understanding of this game mechanics and enough patience to be an officer. If he quits, it will be a tremendous loss for us.

His concerns are valid and shared by many in our guild, myself included. It would be unwise to dismiss them.

Thank you! I am an extremely competitive person so f2p is not an option for me. I wouldn’t enjoy the game. It has nothing to do with entitlement. I only enjoy it if I can compete with the other top people. I would be miserable only being able to climb to 15th in arena instead of first. That’s just how games work for me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being F2P or finding enjoyment from the game in other ways though if you can.

I think assuming OP is entitled is overreach. OP has spent money on a digital good, almost all of which has been devalued overnight and only retains that relative value if OP spends a lot more money.

More than anything, the inclusion of Relics so close to the introduction of G13 combined with the price point of materials in the packs strikes many players as price gouging and creates a sense of betrayal in the consumer. At least it would for me if I had spent any money on G13.

"Thanks for all of your prior purchases, we're introducing a completely new tier of power in the game that is going to dwarf everything that came before it, and you're going to need it to compete at the highest levels. Don't worry, all of those G13 toons you just paid for will absolutely be required, but sadly they won't be enough. Please continue to feed the beast."

This a great comment. One of the biggest issues is simply not knowing where to put my resources. Like you said, what happens if the meta changes next month? What happens if it’s sooner? They are just devaluing my investments too quickly. I understand metas change, but I don’t even have time to get my characters to g13, then relics come out, and now I don’t even know which characters to upgrade or if they’ll still be the most powerful characters tomorrow.
  • That must feel a bit deflating to know that your $15,000 is not enough to run with your competition now that relics are on the field. Seems like a Kraken would just toss out another 5 grand to bring up your SA/GAC squads to R7 and see how that plays out.
  • I hate to sound like a broken record, but this game has been dead 5 times since release....so forums say....but yet, here we are. I really believe as a minnow I can still compete, because theres other minnows and ftp out there that I can beat....sometimes end game never happens for guys like me. But a few whales leaving isnt gunna hurt the bottom dollar because the dolphins etc.. will still pay they're 20$ to 50$ a month and sorry to contradict but that will keep the game going....happy Thursday fellow star wars addicts!!
  • If you've spent THAT much money on this game, then you don't really have much to spend $500 per month on anyway. Given how the Relics are set up and having Relic packs available for purchase on Day, the Relics are just whale/kraken food right now anyway....just something new for you to spend your $500 per month on to get an early edge over the rest of us.
  • Docshady77 wrote: »
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but this game has been dead 5 times since release....so forums say....but yet, here we are. I really believe as a minnow I can still compete, because theres other minnows and ftp out there that I can beat....sometimes end game never happens for guys like me. But a few whales leaving isnt gunna hurt the bottom dollar because the dolphins etc.. will still pay they're 20$ to 50$ a month and sorry to contradict but that will keep the game going....happy Thursday fellow star wars addicts!!

I’m definitely not saying the game is dead. I’m sure the game will continue on just fine. There are, and will continue to be, people willing to pay. Please don’t misinterpret my original post as me saying the game is dead or dying. My post is just my personal feelings on the situation.
  • Ikky2win wrote: »

This a great comment. One of the biggest issues is simply not knowing where to put my resources. Like you said, what happens if the meta changes next month? What happens if it’s sooner? They are just devaluing my investments too quickly. I understand metas change, but I don’t even have time to get my characters to g13, then relics come out, and now I don’t even know which characters to upgrade or if they’ll still be the most powerful characters tomorrow.

When the meta changes next month, you throw another stack on the fire and continue to rock the kraken lifestyle.

When the meta changes next month, you throw another stack on the fire and continue to rock the kraken lifestyle.

Yes, that is the intent of this update.

There's something to be said about "throwing good money after bad" and the OP is making a very concise statement about his perspective on how Relics might just be that thing. This is clearly CG's target customer and their target customer is telling them how they missed the mark.

The game won't die, but take a look at the compelling content that's been released in the past year and a half and you can safely say that new and interesting development has slowed to a crawl. Compare TB and TW in 2017 to...personal TW (GA/GAC) and re-skinned TB. All development effort has been spent on re-skinning previous engagement models and manipulating the meta (JKR/DR/DM).
  • Good post Ikky. It was fun while it lasted! I completely agree with your assessment. They're just expecting people to invest out of habit at this point it seems.
  • Throwing good money after bad is exactly what I was thinking when I made my decision. Is it worth continuing to spend this much money? The answer for me was, no.

I agree with all of this....however, it should be worth noting that this has been the practice of CG/EA almost since launch. The only difference this time is that it is a little more blatant than the usual "release panic farm/spend meta > release panic farm/spend counter > repeat to increase game income".

Money has always and will always only buy you a temporary (sometimes extremely temporary) advantage in this game. See Chaze, CLS, JTR, Traya, JKR, DR, Malak, GG, Hound's Tooth, Han's MillFalc, Geos, g12, g13, etc. for examples. The only difference this time is that the meta isn't shifting - the game is. And the whales can instantly buy a big advantage regardless of meta....and then can do it again when someone else outbuys them. The gear race has been reduced to it's simplest form - a spending race....at least for those who wish to participate in that aspect of the game. I don't and haven't for two years. I generally don't spend money on something that could be devalued to the point of worthlessness in a week. Some have no such qualms and will simply continue to throw money at the screen every time an opponent does - or whenever CG says "the goal posts are now HERE!"....before moving them again a few weeks later, declaring the same thing.

I understand the OP's concern and frustration. I share both. I simply stopped chasing the ever-changing goal posts two years ago. If relics cause the game to be more frustrating than the last 2 years, it's all the easier to walk away. Some are already doing so.

The sad part is that relics were really a missed opportunity. If they had been more balanced in terms of power increase and been slower to obtain, many people (myself included) would have seen it as a positive. However, seeing teams with a single L7 lead tear apart full g13 teams on day 1 is a little disconcerting. While there has always been a "pay to be on top" aspect to the game, now players who have never even cracked the top 20 can literally buy their way to #1 in a single day.

Whatever.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • New and interesting content has always been in short supply. Interesting challenges have included
    • early GW
    • L8 Cantina battles
    • Luke hero's journey
    • Thrawn legendary
    • Yoda mythic
    • C3PO legendary (tending toward meh though)
    • Military Might (vs Empire) assault battle
    • Ground War (vs Separatists) assault battle mythic tier
    • Hoth LSTB
    • Malak epic confrontation
    The rest has been somewhat uninspired. I mostly just play this game because I got rid of my OG Kenner action figures a long time ago and this is sort of like a socially acceptable way to play with action figures in the modern world.
  • ...I mostly just play this game because I got rid of my OG Kenner action figures a long time ago and this is sort of like a socially acceptable way to play with action figures in the modern world.

Mine were in my basement - dusted off when my son "came of age." I have passed on the legacy, and the student has indeed become the master. Watching him interact with this game is a great reminder it can still just be played as a game. He actually has fun bringing the thematic counter into a regular node battle.

Agree with your list - I'm just sad that there are all these iconic characters with such a rich story and there's no useful and entertaining way to use them. Just such a missed opportunity.
    To give you a little background, I started playing during the last week of November 2017 (less than 2 years ago). Most people categorize me as a Kraken. I currently have 27 G13, 66 G12, and 425 10+ speed mods. I haven’t kept track of the amount I’ve spent, but if I had to guess I would say somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000. Probably around $500.00 a month. I make a good living and the expenditure is not an issue. It has no impact on my life, it doesn’t prevent from doing anything, and I’m not neglecting anything like my bills, retirement savings, etc. I am providing this info so you can better understand where I’m coming from.

Unfortunately, Relics are going to force me to quit the game. I still love the game as much as I did when I first started playing, but the introduction of Relics simply crossed the line. Whereas before I felt I was getting value for the money I spent, I no longer feel that way. The money itself is not the issue. I can afford it. Here are few of the issues:

• Relics were released too close to G13. I have 27 G13, which is a lot compared to most people, but that’s not even close to making me feel like my roster is complete. I have a ton more characters I’d like to G13, but instead I now have to focus on level 7 Relics for certain characters.

• The stat gains from Relics are WAY too high. 80k health Nest? 11k damage DR? 225k+ Health Malak? It makes it an absolute requirement to obtain certain characters’ level 7 Relics to be competitive. This is not a new phenomenon, but its pushed it to the extreme. I’m watching videos of Grievous with a level 7 Relic one-shotting entire teams, including DR, on TURN ONE.

• The damage increases are not relative to the defensive increases. Going back to the previous bullet, I’ve seen GG one shot some of the tankiest of tanks on turn one.

• Speed just became even MORE important. If you have characters that can now one-shot entire teams or even just one-shot single characters on turn one, speed becomes even more important than it was previously (and it was all-important even before this).

• The price point is way to high compared to the value. We were discussing this in Discord earlier, and we (by we, I mean my guildmate, Ender) came up with a rough estimate that it will take anywhere from $360-$900 to take a single character from 0 to max (the variance depends on if you buy shards, packs, or farm the character). Emphasis on rough estimate. CG has always stressed that they want you to be able to utilize all of your characters, but what they are doing with Relics completely contradicts that.

• Lastly (I could go on forever but lets just leave it with this last bullet), we don’t receive enough information to know where to spend our money. I understand this on purpose to get people to spend money, but I simply can’t justify spending several hundred dollars on a character today, that may not even be meta tomorrow. Do you have any idea how angry people would be if they bought all those packs in the store and leveled up the Relics for DR and Malak, and General Anakin is released next week and the meta shifts? Additionally, I don’t even know which characters to focus on because we don’t have a sandbox mode. With the prices so high, even whales and Krakens are only going to level up Relics for a couple characters first. Which characters though? It’s anyone’s guess because we can’t do full testing. Imagine taking DR’s relic to 7 today, and tomorrow someone finds a Grievous team with a level 7 Relic that outperforms it on both offense and defense. Now I have to spend another couple hundred dollars for GG in order to remain competitive?

I absolutely love this game still. I want to keep playing but you’re forcing me to quit. You crossed a line where the content and price of that content just simply isn’t greater than the value. That line is different for everyone, but I have a feeling you crossed it for a LOT of people this time. You just went one step too far. I’d love to keep playing, I have the money to keep playing and remain competitive, but I simply can no longer justify it. Unless something changes in the next day or two, you just cost yourself at least $500.00 a month.

Really appreciate this post. As a F2P player, it can sometimes feel that there’s a big gap between us and people who pay a lot in (terms of frustration). Hopefully CG can change up the direction the game is going in, otherwise a lot of people are going to follow in your footsteps.
  • Just want to say this is a great post. Great perspective. Agree with everything.
  • SherveenEvergreen
    65 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    At the end of the day, when new content comes, you're forced to continue paying a lot if you want to keep up your lifestyle obtained through previous spend. What do you expect? A free ride after 15k? Having to spend is never going to stop if you want to play at that level. There's a lot in between being first and playing at next to last. Geez. Whining but nobody is offering a solution. You all knew what you signed up for when you started spending.
  • I’m constantly amazed at how people are stunned by actions like this. From the very minute I joined this game 3 years ago, it was blatantly obvious that money grabbing was the primary focus of the developers. It’s EA for gods sake. They’re notorious for this kind of stuff. And now that I think back on my years of daily play, I think I take the most pride in how many times I’ve held strong and kept my wallet closed. More proud of that than unlocking Chewy and C3po with the “wrong” teams, or reaching no. 1 in Arena with a FTP account. They play psychological games with us every day to milk us as much as possible.
    To the OP, I don’t care how much money I had, there has never been anything in this game worth Whaling on. Nothing. Because as soon as you spend your money, they make what you spent it on obsolete. You bought nothing except a right to buy something else. And you’ve proven nothing to me or any others by doing so. I don’t respect you any more than any other player, in fact I respect you less for buying your way to the top.
  • Ltswb1 wrote: »
    I’m constantly amazed at how people are stunned by actions like this. From the very minute I joined this game 3 years ago, it was blatantly obvious that money grabbing was the primary focus of the developers. It’s EA for gods sake. They’re notorious for this kind of stuff. And now that I think back on my years of daily play, I think I take the most pride in how many times I’ve held strong and kept my wallet closed. More proud of that than unlocking Chewy and C3po with the “wrong” teams, or reaching no. 1 in Arena with a FTP account. They play psychological games with us every day to milk us as much as possible.
    To the OP, I don’t care how much money I had, there has never been anything in this game worth Whaling on. Nothing. Because as soon as you spend your money, they make what you spent it on obsolete. You bought nothing except a right to buy something else. And you’ve proven nothing to me or any others by doing so. I don’t respect you any more than any other player, in fact I respect you less for buying your way to the top.

Entertainment is an expense that many choose as an elective.
    I’m constantly amazed at how people are stunned by actions like this. From the very minute I joined this game 3 years ago, it was blatantly obvious that money grabbing was the primary focus of the developers. It’s EA for gods sake. They’re notorious for this kind of stuff. And now that I think back on my years of daily play, I think I take the most pride in how many times I’ve held strong and kept my wallet closed. More proud of that than unlocking Chewy and C3po with the “wrong” teams, or reaching no. 1 in Arena with a FTP account. They play psychological games with us every day to milk us as much as possible.

What makes you think I care anything about your respect? Respect me, don’t respect me, makes no difference to me.
    I don’t respect you any more than any other player, in fact I respect you less for buying your way to the top.

You do realize though that people like him are why we get to enjoy playing this game... No whales/krakens = no more getting to play with some of your favorite characters.
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Ltswb1 wrote: »
    I don’t respect you any more than any other player, in fact I respect you less for buying your way to the top.

You do realize though that people like him are why we get to enjoy playing this game... No whales/krakens = no more getting to play with some of your favorite characters.

Totally untrue. There are tons of good games that have entertained more than this one that didn’t rely on whales. It’s the developers focus on the whales that has made the whales important to the viability of the game. The game could be just as, if not more so, profitable and fun without that focus. They just took the easy way out by praying on the gullibility of the whales.

In fact I’d go so far to say that the whales are what makes this game suck. Without them, the developers would actually have to develop something good that appealed to the masses.
    To give you a little background, I started playing during the last week of November 2017 (less than 2 years ago). Most people categorize me as a Kraken. I currently have 27 G13, 66 G12, and 425 10+ speed mods. I haven’t kept track of the amount I’ve spent, but if I had to guess I would say somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000. Probably around $500.00 a month. I make a good living and the expenditure is not an issue. It has no impact on my life, it doesn’t prevent from doing anything, and I’m not neglecting anything like my bills, retirement savings, etc. I am providing this info so you can better understand where I’m coming from.

Unfortunately, Relics are going to force me to quit the game. I still love the game as much as I did when I first started playing, but the introduction of Relics simply crossed the line. Whereas before I felt I was getting value for the money I spent, I no longer feel that way. The money itself is not the issue. I can afford it. Here are few of the issues:

• Relics were released too close to G13. I have 27 G13, which is a lot compared to most people, but that’s not even close to making me feel like my roster is complete. I have a ton more characters I’d like to G13, but instead I now have to focus on level 7 Relics for certain characters.

• The stat gains from Relics are WAY too high. 80k health Nest? 11k damage DR? 225k+ Health Malak? It makes it an absolute requirement to obtain certain characters’ level 7 Relics to be competitive. This is not a new phenomenon, but its pushed it to the extreme. I’m watching videos of Grievous with a level 7 Relic one-shotting entire teams, including DR, on TURN ONE.

• The damage increases are not relative to the defensive increases. Going back to the previous bullet, I’ve seen GG one shot some of the tankiest of tanks on turn one.

• Speed just became even MORE important. If you have characters that can now one-shot entire teams or even just one-shot single characters on turn one, speed becomes even more important than it was previously (and it was all-important even before this).

• The price point is way to high compared to the value. We were discussing this in Discord earlier, and we (by we, I mean my guildmate, Ender) came up with a rough estimate that it will take anywhere from $360-$900 to take a single character from 0 to max (the variance depends on if you buy shards, packs, or farm the character). Emphasis on rough estimate. CG has always stressed that they want you to be able to utilize all of your characters, but what they are doing with Relics completely contradicts that.

• Lastly (I could go on forever but lets just leave it with this last bullet), we don’t receive enough information to know where to spend our money. I understand this on purpose to get people to spend money, but I simply can’t justify spending several hundred dollars on a character today, that may not even be meta tomorrow. Do you have any idea how angry people would be if they bought all those packs in the store and leveled up the Relics for DR and Malak, and General Anakin is released next week and the meta shifts? Additionally, I don’t even know which characters to focus on because we don’t have a sandbox mode. With the prices so high, even whales and Krakens are only going to level up Relics for a couple characters first. Which characters though? It’s anyone’s guess because we can’t do full testing. Imagine taking DR’s relic to 7 today, and tomorrow someone finds a Grievous team with a level 7 Relic that outperforms it on both offense and defense. Now I have to spend another couple hundred dollars for GG in order to remain competitive?

I absolutely love this game still. I want to keep playing but you’re forcing me to quit. You crossed a line where the content and price of that content just simply isn’t greater than the value. That line is different for everyone, but I have a feeling you crossed it for a LOT of people this time. You just went one step too far. I’d love to keep playing, I have the money to keep playing and remain competitive, but I simply can no longer justify it. Unless something changes in the next day or two, you just cost yourself at least $500.00 a month.

YOU SAID EVERYTHING! I don't usually spend a lot of money on the game, so I know I'll be massacred in the game for the next few days. That way I won't be able to reach the top ever! They are ending the fun of the game ...
    CG, read this text from the guy above, it reflects what we all think.
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    Ltswb1 wrote: »

What makes you think I care anything about your respect? Respect me, don’t respect me, makes no difference to me.

The fact that you responded to me and the fact that you spent 15 grand playing this game tells me that’s a lie. What have you gotten for your 15 grand? Can you play some part of the game that I can’t? I can play every part of the game. I can compete and win more than i lose in GAC. I can solo Pit and HAAT and compete in HSTR. I can play hoth and Geonosis. I’ve been to number 1 in Arena. And I’ve spent less than $300, and honestly feel stupid for spending that. So what can you play that I can’t that your 15 grand bought you? This is a game after all. It’s about playing. Not buying or collecting.