Relics – The tale of a Kraken

Replies

• I'll join Kraken and talk a little bit about my account. I consider myself an F2P, although I spend Google Rewards to send out about $ 2 every four months (yes that's ridiculous) but that's what I can put in, since the exchange rate is $ 4 for a dollar. Brazil's minimum wage is 1 dollar an hour.

My count time is December 2017, about the same time as the senior producer, except he has 5M PG and me 3.4M.

I own all the journey toons except for Malak. of events is makes the situation an insult.

GAT: It is possible to do the event with all the phoenix g8 and correct mods.
    R2-D2 and CLS. I did the R2 event with Imperial Troopers (need to beat 150 GW to simulate) 4 g10 and 1 g9. All CLS toons were g9 when I made the event
    Emperor: I didn't even afford to use the phoenix, I did with the CLS g9 team
    BB8: My first order is with the same equipment, all g8 and pick-up conditions were none. He is there playing in a corner with 3 stars.
    Rey: Farm without end of two completely useless characters in the game who are veteran smugglers, today they are miserable in the smugglers event but it is the two rebels and the nest that do the work.
    GMY: It comes as a bonus.

From now on the problem begins:

Chewbacca: I needed 3 g12 characters and two g11 characters. Even with Bossk with the zeta leader it took me 30 minutes to find an RNG.
    C3-PO: Elder g11, Logray g10 and other g9 plus one zeta in the chirpa and two days hunting for an RNG.
    Falcon: Not 7 stars I released her, but at least I release her on the first day of the third cycle.
    JKR: Again I got it only in the third cycle. despite jolee.
    Padme Amidala: I decided to farm the Georgian Alpha to justify on the table an investment I had made exclusively for ships. I got it in the second cycle, but because I already had 3 geonosians up by the ship's target.
    DR: Heavy investing in a lot of characters, it wasn't that hard but no one less than g10
    Malak, it was impossible to catch and will force me to spend 3 zetas and more equipment on characters like Mission, Zaalbar (characters that I have zero empathy for).
    And the new goal starts coming in November, most likely doing another event just like Malak's.

According to Swgoh.gg my account needs 123 carbanti mk3 to complete, considering that no new characters are released and I get an average of 4 per challenge, in two years my account will be left with carbanti 3 so I can play at Jawa's furnace.

But wait is 150 stun gun 5. what more than doubles the amount of carbanti mk3 i need to complete just 8 to 11 gear stuff.

In this my Wampa is 70/100, my droid probe 41/100 (as my guild refuses to go to Hoth for the obvious reason that everyone is desperate for the mk2 event coin.

I spent 9k mk2 + coins and over 4k GAC coins to put 1 character in g13.

While all raid prizes increase dramatically, guilds can do both TB and challenges are modified to provide droid controller 5 and stun gun 5, people will still have serious problems having their competitive arena team. We're not even talking about a GAC.

The game has to evolve and be interesting for those at the top but accessibility is getting worse every day.

Except for decreasing the number of Wins to simulate GW from 150 to 50 and lowering the energy cost for veterans from 16 to 12, how easy is it for a person to get into the game? This you need to find out is fast.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Ltswb1 wrote: »
    I don’t respect you any more than any other player, in fact I respect you less for buying your way to the top.

You do realize though that people like him are why we get to enjoy playing this game... No whales/krakens = no more getting to play with some of your favorite characters.

Totally untrue. There are tons of good games that have entertained more than this one that didn’t rely on whales. It’s the developers focus on the whales that has made the whales important to the viability of the game. The game could be just as, if not more so, profitable and fun without that focus. They just took the easy way out by praying on the gullibility of the whales.

In fact I’d go so far to say that the whales are what makes this game suck. Without them, the developers would actually have to develop something good that appealed to the masses.

Like forced paid content or a barrage of advertising?

I'm good with whales.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    HenriqueAA wrote: »
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    To give you a little background, I started playing during the last week of November 2017 (less than 2 years ago). Most people categorize me as a Kraken. I currently have 27 G13, 66 G12, and 425 10+ speed mods. I haven’t kept track of the amount I’ve spent, but if I had to guess I would say somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000. Probably around $500.00 a month. I make a good living and the expenditure is not an issue. It has no impact on my life, it doesn’t prevent from doing anything, and I’m not neglecting anything like my bills, retirement savings, etc. I am providing this info so you can better understand where I’m coming from.

Unfortunately, Relics are going to force me to quit the game. I still love the game as much as I did when I first started playing, but the introduction of Relics simply crossed the line. Whereas before I felt I was getting value for the money I spent, I no longer feel that way. The money itself is not the issue. I can afford it. Here are few of the issues:

• Relics were released too close to G13. I have 27 G13, which is a lot compared to most people, but that’s not even close to making me feel like my roster is complete. I have a ton more characters I’d like to G13, but instead I now have to focus on level 7 Relics for certain characters.

• The stat gains from Relics are WAY too high. 80k health Nest? 11k damage DR? 225k+ Health Malak? It makes it an absolute requirement to obtain certain characters’ level 7 Relics to be competitive. This is not a new phenomenon, but its pushed it to the extreme. I’m watching videos of Grievous with a level 7 Relic one-shotting entire teams, including DR, on TURN ONE.

• The damage increases are not relative to the defensive increases. Going back to the previous bullet, I’ve seen GG one shot some of the tankiest of tanks on turn one.

• Speed just became even MORE important. If you have characters that can now one-shot entire teams or even just one-shot single characters on turn one, speed becomes even more important than it was previously (and it was all-important even before this).

• The price point is way to high compared to the value. We were discussing this in Discord earlier, and we (by we, I mean my guildmate, Ender) came up with a rough estimate that it will take anywhere from $360-$900 to take a single character from 0 to max (the variance depends on if you buy shards, packs, or farm the character). Emphasis on rough estimate. CG has always stressed that they want you to be able to utilize all of your characters, but what they are doing with Relics completely contradicts that.

• Lastly (I could go on forever but lets just leave it with this last bullet), we don’t receive enough information to know where to spend our money. I understand this on purpose to get people to spend money, but I simply can’t justify spending several hundred dollars on a character today, that may not even be meta tomorrow. Do you have any idea how angry people would be if they bought all those packs in the store and leveled up the Relics for DR and Malak, and General Anakin is released next week and the meta shifts? Additionally, I don’t even know which characters to focus on because we don’t have a sandbox mode. With the prices so high, even whales and Krakens are only going to level up Relics for a couple characters first. Which characters though? It’s anyone’s guess because we can’t do full testing. Imagine taking DR’s relic to 7 today, and tomorrow someone finds a Grievous team with a level 7 Relic that outperforms it on both offense and defense. Now I have to spend another couple hundred dollars for GG in order to remain competitive?

I absolutely love this game still. I want to keep playing but you’re forcing me to quit. You crossed a line where the content and price of that content just simply isn’t greater than the value. That line is different for everyone, but I have a feeling you crossed it for a LOT of people this time. You just went one step too far. I’d love to keep playing, I have the money to keep playing and remain competitive, but I simply can no longer justify it. Unless something changes in the next day or two, you just cost yourself at least $500.00 a month.

CG, read this text from the guy above, it reflects what we all think.

I really wish people would stop acting like they speak for everybody.
  • I’m not quite sure how this devolved into p2p vs F2P. That was never my intent. I gave my spending background so people would understand my perspective. P2P and F2P generally have very different perspectives and my experience is not the same as someone else’s experience, be they P2P or F2P.
  • Ikky2win wrote: »
    I’m not quite sure how this devolved into p2p vs F2P. That was never my intent. I gave my spending background so people would understand my perspective. P2P and F2P generally have very different perspectives and my experience is not the same as someone else’s experience, be they P2P or F2P.

Too many people get caught up in the P2P and F2P camps and want to use said camps as their soapbox. Ultimately the problem is not that people either spend or don't, it's the fact that CG is putting cash grabs in front of better game design or depth. If the quality of the game was put ahead of the money that you're (obviously) aiming to make, there would be less bad blood. But, I mean, we've seen the direction that game design as a whole is going.......
  • HenriqueAA
    82 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Liath wrote: »
    Ikky2win wrote: »

You understood what I meant...
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member

But words mean things.
  • TVF wrote: »
    I don’t respect you any more than any other player, in fact I respect you less for buying your way to the top.

You do realize though that people like him are why we get to enjoy playing this game... No whales/krakens = no more getting to play with some of your favorite characters.

Totally untrue. There are tons of good games that have entertained more than this one that didn’t rely on whales. It’s the developers focus on the whales that has made the whales important to the viability of the game. The game could be just as, if not more so, profitable and fun without that focus. They just took the easy way out by praying on the gullibility of the whales.

In fact I’d go so far to say that the whales are what makes this game suck. Without them, the developers would actually have to develop something good that appealed to the masses.

I'm good with whales.

So you wouldn’t spend $5 a month to play a better game without psychological tricks, whales buying their way to the top, or ridiculous paywalls? CG made like 8.5 million off this game last year. $5 a person times 166 thousand people is $10 million a year. 166 thousand players is not a lot. And they could make more money. Just by making a fun game with a level playing field instead of catering to whales.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

I'm good with whales.

So you wouldn’t spend $5 a month to play a better game without psychological tricks, whales buying their way to the top, or ridiculous paywalls?

I would not.

I've averaged a little more than that in my 2.5 years (roughly $8.50 a month) and I'd rather target what I get for it.

And if I were paying zero, I'd definitely not want that, and I'd accept the fact that spenders get something for their spending.
  • To be fair, I was/am part of the problem. My spending over the past two years told CG they could keep increasing the amount you needed to spend and people would pay it.
  • Don’t know if I’ve ever seen a game with the Devs so out of line with the community and bent on destroying the game. Relics are just a massively scaled up version of the last dumb idea these bone heads had. Good riddance most of the community.
  • TVF wrote: »

I'm good with whales.

So you wouldn’t spend $5 a month to play a better game without psychological tricks, whales buying their way to the top, or ridiculous paywalls?

I would not.

I've averaged a little more than that in my 2.5 years (roughly $8.50 a month) and I'd rather target what I get for it.

And if I were paying zero, I'd definitely not want that, and I'd accept the fact that spenders get something for their spending.

That makes zero sense. You’d rather spend $8 a month instead of $5, so that you can have a monetary advantage over someone who spent nothing instead of having a level playing field? What does that accomplish? Proving that you’re willing to spend more money than someone else to get ahead? No one cares.
    And you do realize that they can build a game where you can “target” certain strategies without spending money? Spending money isn’t a strategy. It’s a crutch for people who would rather take the easy road than accomplish something hard.
  • Ltswb1 wrote: »

I'm good with whales.

So you wouldn’t spend $5 a month to play a better game without psychological tricks, whales buying their way to the top, or ridiculous paywalls? CG made like 8.5 million off this game last year. $5 a person times 166 thousand people is $10 million a year. 166 thousand players is not a lot. And they could make more money. Just by making a fun game with a level playing field instead of catering to whales.

This is a global online mobile game.

If you live in the US like myself, we're considered an affluent country.

I have traveled to a lot of places. And paying money for a free on line game is just not in the stars for many.

I don't imagine Star Wars wants to take that away from them. Not everyone on here is flush with money even in the US.

I don't feel it's okay to lecture people on their fiscal budgeting. We all have things going on. But to make all users pay a subscription fee is more of a PC based thing and not sure how that'd do with an online mobile game 3 years into the running.
  • Perhaps this is what CG wants: To end the game by taking as much money as possible. Sad to see the game taking this path, maybe it's time to start looking for another one.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

I understood you to believe that all players agree with you.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member

I'm good with whales.

I would not.

That makes zero sense. You’d rather spend $8 a month instead of $5, so that you can have a monetary advantage over someone who spent nothing instead of having a level playing field? What does that accomplish? Proving that you’re willing to spend more money than someone else to get ahead? No one cares.
    And you do realize that they can build a game where you can “target” certain strategies without spending money? Spending money isn’t a strategy. It’s a crutch for people who would rather take the easy road than accomplish something hard.

I don't feel like you even read my post. So enjoy your relic quests.
  • Lovimgsaskia1
    370 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Whales have there place in the game and keep it alive. So do ftp. Cg just pushed the limits far too left that's all. Waiting to see what the end result is before I post judgement.
  • I'm free-to-play* (*I've spent less than $20 in the 3+ years I've played this game) and this update is disheartening. No, I don't expect to be at the top of my shard, but I still like trying. At the moment, I can maintain about rank #50 give or take 20 spots with my 6* FTP Malak.

With the Gear 13 update, CG actually made the game better because our Guild didn't need to have the Hard Sith Raid on insta-farm in order to acquire the gear pieces. I could now actually see the Finish Line for many of my favorite characters while NOT having to sacrifice farming other character shards for TW, TB, GAC, etc...

I've got 2 G13 toons and 2 more almost there. I feel like I'm making progress and Arena is fun once again. And our Guild was making strides in every event.

But last night, CG took that Finish Line, stuffed it into a rocket with their sweaty hands, poured in a bag of off-brand Cheetos™ and launched it into space. I can't see any future where that Finish Line is ever visible to me again. And that has sadly killed my desire to login.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    There's no finish line with this game.
  • It’s funny that relics was obviously introduced to stop f2p players (like myself) from hoarding in order to gain access to new meta on its initial release, and it’s viewed negatively by both f2p and p2p alike.
  • Your post sums up exactly my feelings on it but from the Kraken perspective. As a f2p/minor spender I view this as essentially killing the f2p way of life. Smart farming plans, waiting to see whats useful and only gearing that set of characters up or only taking key team members to g13 is a huge staple of how I view a successful f2p strategy. But with this it's just entierly too fast. You've got endless g13's compared to me but we feel the same way. We'd like to focus on a few more key ones. In your case you probably want to g13 a few key members from each team. On my end i'm just trying to g12 full teams and maybe tac on a g13 if I really want to beef the team up. But the feeling is one in the same I have to focus relics now at the expense of other goals just to keep up and you have to do the same. It's refreshing at least to see this is hitting the whales and krakens as hard as it's hitting the f2p players. Not that either of those things is a good thing, but hopefully CG realizes they screwed up. And I don't think relics are the end. SWGOH has flatlined on revenue growth and i'm sure EA is demanding at least a mirror of prior year revenues. The smart decision was to realize this game was at it's peak and continue to maintain the status quo for the existing player base while trying to attract any new players possible. They took the opposite route though and went for bleeding the player base to keep revenues going up. It's a bold move cotton, and based on what i'm seeing and hearing i'm not sure if its going to pay off.
  • John_Matrix1985
    2276 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    There's no finish line with this game.

Well... at some point they may say no more new content (say G15 L100 Relic Level 10 7* Mods).

Then as long as the servers stay online we have the 15 years or so grind to get all characters to G15 L100 - the finish line.
  • The rest has been somewhat uninspired. I mostly just play this game because I got rid of my OG Kenner action figures a long time ago and this is sort of like a socially acceptable way to play with action figures in the modern world.

I laughed at how true this is...

• At the end of the day, when new content comes, you're forced to continue paying a lot if you want to keep up your lifestyle obtained through previous spend. What do you expect? A free ride after 15k? Having to spend is never going to stop if you want to play at that level. There's a lot in between being first and playing at next to last. Geez. Whining but nobody is offering a solution. You all knew what you signed up for when you started spending.

Lol. You're worse than CG_Carrie. Spending $15k on a mobile game in less than 2 years DOES make you entitled...
  • Xhedao
    209 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    ShaeVizla wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    ShaeVizla wrote: »
    Game is dying. They are simply milking whatever they can before it does

Like they did with G12, G13, Mods, Revans... oh wait.

....and, look at the revenue they have lost since then and the amount of people that have left

So, do you have any published data or is it just reading a not random sample of not representative posts?
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    My Top 60 guild is set to lose 3 members at the end of the TB.

Another 2 officers are convinced this is it for them too. A 3rd is flipping coins over it.

We're small fish bouncing around between 60-100, comparatively. There's no way my guild's members debates are the outlier here.

It won't cripple us, but it will hurt. We're already at a deficit that recruiting hasn't filled due to 2 drops over the last week, calling it for G13 falling behind.

2 of our impending departures have spent a *lot* of money.

Again -- there's no way we're alone in this.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • You say stat gain from relics is too high but also state it's not worth it. What did $500 a month get you? The game has never offered value, why balk now?
  • OP dead on 100% im maybe around the 5-6k area myself but yeah to quote the angry orange orangutan "SAD!"
  • Spin control will say "Relics are a hit. Everyones talking about them!". Meanwhile the revenue meter is spinning backwards. Glad I never spent a dime on this game. Welcome to SWGOH's NGE.
  • Well summarized.
    To end:

"I've...seen things, you people wouldn't believe.
    Legendaries...completed with just Gear Seven.
    Toon level limits...that didn't begin with 'Eight'.
    All these... Will be lost in Time... Like the Resistance TM Train.
    Time...to Buy."