Proposal - how to address relic fallout

Prev1
As we all know, relics have created the single largest pay to win backlash as long as I can remember & has seriously damage player/developer relations & trust.

Instead of raging or threatening to quit, I thought what could be done to address this.

1. Reduce Cantina energy refresh cost to 50 crystals.

This is obvious, to remain competitive then all of our resources will need to go into relics to get teams to catch up to whales. Reducing the cost will allow us to farm characters and still make some relic progress.

2. Add in some of the bottleneck gear via daily challenges. This helps with the g9 bottleneck and the item required for relic levels 5+.

3. Add in relic trash weekly challenge, specific challenges focused around adding in gear in larger amounts (100+) but is gear we only need for scrap not gearing.

4. The biggest thing you could have done for the community would have been to gate relics 5+ behind a time sink (however this wasn't done) allowing 2 hour full relic 7 squads utterly destroyed all squad arena balance.

However, with the inclusion of a "relic gift" starter pack to the community (allowing a few relic levels for a few characters worth of gear) it will do a few things.

1. Incentivise those without g13 to get one leveled asap.
2. Allow people in squad arena to at least compete with whales (relic 4 vs 7 is doable).
3. Give whales a freebie to experiment on other units.

Marvel strike force did this with red stars, we all got a few when they were released. This should have the same.

Replies

• Yes.

I have nothing else to add.

Are you still reading this?
  • Those relic pieces needed from last stage of cantinas should be removed all together.
    Its a joke they really thought they could do something like this.

Saying unused old gear as an excuse for this update is lame. Stop it.
    Still not surprised though, just tired of all those excuses. Especially when its for something nobody asked for
  • If they hadn't gear-walled Relics behind G13 then there wouldn't be such an issue with Relics, but given that they have the balance in the game which was already tenuous at best has completely exploded.
    I hate to see the kind of GAC Matchmaking we're going to get now where someone has just 1 or 2 maxed relic G13 squads, but similar top-80 char GP, against someone without relics, it'll be impossible to get through their relic squads if they're on Defence...same with TW if just a few opponents have maxed relic squads it could wall out an entire enemy guild from progressing if they don't have any...and it's not as if CG have a great reputation for controlling the matchmaking in a sensible fashion as it is let alone now!
  • As we all know, relics have created the single largest pay to win backlash as long as I can remember & has seriously damage player/developer relations & trust.

It has? They were just released them yesterday so how can you be so certain that it's already created the biggest backlash ever? I for one like them so clearly you do not speak for the entire player base.
    You can probably assume the majority of what I post is sarcasm, feel free to skip and move along rather than reading...
  • 1. Yes. No debate about that.
    2. That already happened somewhat, they increased the daily salvage from 3 to 5 and added kyros.
    3. Not sure about a weekly challenge but I'm fully expecting a resource event in the vein of credit heist or smuggler run that gives relic stuff. Maybe requiring Jawas to keep the theme?
  • I still haven’t seen anyone talking about the ‘relics are for using old unused gear’.. yet higher level relics are using g12 gear and kyrotechs as well..

• Damodamo wrote: »
    I still haven’t seen anyone talking about the ‘relics are for using old unused gear’.. yet higher level relics are using g12 gear and kyrotechs as well..

It’s cute that you expected anything different....
  • Damodamo wrote: »
    I still haven’t seen anyone talking about the ‘relics are for using old unused gear’.. yet higher level relics are using g12 gear and kyrotechs as well..

You still get to choose what to burn for relics and every tier has a piece that's not needed that much, which is definitely beter than straight-up G14. As always, it's about priorities and resource management.
  • Dark_Wraith
    7 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    I agree 100% with this post. I'm doing okay with Relics, but I only have 1 at lvl 2. The rest I'm leaving for later. If I needed to get a full 7-Relic team I would be out of gear. I think we're all thinking about what we'll do when the gear runs out. Adding a way to bank a ton of the useless gear for Relics would ease my mind a great deal about how I'm going to survive in Arena.
  • jfears2 wrote: »
    As we all know, relics have created the single largest pay to win backlash as long as I can remember & has seriously damage player/developer relations & trust.

It has? They were just released them yesterday so how can you be so certain that it's already created the biggest backlash ever? I for one like them so clearly you do not speak for the entire player base.

😂 okay CG man 👍
  • Relics should be opened at G8 not G13. Outside of shifting the meta to absurd levels, moving Relics to a lower gear tier allows sub G13 characters to be more competitive and F2P isn't stuck behind a huge wall.
  • They don't care and only work for Whales. Just look at the last update :
    1st - G12 toons. Only 7 stars toons ...
    2nd - 6 stars mods.. only available for G12, which means also 7 stars
    3rd - G13 and implemented P2Play Kyros gears
    4th - relic only for G13...

Next update will be for G13, lvl 7 relic.
    I am sure that the new abilities will be for level 8 Relics...

😂 okay CG man 👍

The go to come back when someone defends new content, good come back, do you use that every time you don't agree with something?

Also, what if I was a woman... your bold assumption is dangerous :)
    You can probably assume the majority of what I post is sarcasm, feel free to skip and move along rather than reading...
  • I had a good idea.....

G12 = relics unlock = max relic level 3 or 4

G13= relic level 5-7 (better increases)

Simple f2p happy / p2p happier
  • whales had a discussion w/CG. this is what they wanted a large gap between p2p and f2p
  • No matter how CG do these new releases the wales will always get stronger.

I have given up trying to keep up. I will instead just play for my guild who I love and just leave it at that. Just gear up toons for the new Tbs. If I get slayed in GA and Arena, so be it. No point getting worked up about money grabs. The reason they made the game was to make money. That's what they do.
  • the whales will be happy when they become alone in the game...
  • Gamorrean wrote: »
    Those relic pieces needed from last stage of cantinas should be removed all together.
    Its a joke they really thought they could do something like this.

Saying unused old gear as an excuse for this update is lame. Stop it.
    Still not surprised though, just tired of all those excuses. Especially when its for something nobody asked for

Couldn’t agree more. I’m pretty sick and tired of making things “farmable” yet putting them on the most expensive energy nodes out there. They can say all they want the the relics are free to play....but when they add them on a 16 energy node and the same day they at it in the shop for money proves they don’t care about our opinions.

Thankfully I’m in a position where I have all Catina and hard node only shards finished. I only need Shaak Ti/Wat Tambor and Vulture Driod/Anakins ships left to farm(which would not be possible unless I spent thousands of dollars or spent another 3.5 years farming.

My daily farms only consists of gear and now relic pieces. Putting them on the most expensive energy available to me is a slap in the face to people who don’t wanna spend money all the while slowing down players progress of farming other things in a way to where they’re either forced to spend or fall behind.

The choices Cg makes along with the people in charge make me question “why on earth do I continue to play this game”?

It’s more out of habit cause it’s surly not because it’s fun.

I’ll farm the relics slowly because I ain’t planning on opening my wallet to reward Cg for something nobody asked for or wanted to begin with.
  • The problem is the jump and speed of that jump. Full relic 7 squads with a 75% damage increase is unseen before.

This is akin to the Marvel Strike Force red stars but instead of it being RNG pay wall you can just by 7 red stars off the bat.

If it was all gated behind farming (whales farmed faster with refreshes) it would be fine, but they went with 0-100 full relic 7 squads out there an hour after the patch.

This is what I'm most disappointed with.
  • The problem is the jump and speed of that jump. Full relic 7 squads with a 75% damage increase is unseen before.

This is akin to the Marvel Strike Force red stars but instead of it being RNG pay wall you can just by 7 red stars off the bat.

If it was all gated behind farming (whales farmed faster with refreshes) it would be fine, but they went with 0-100 full relic 7 squads out there an hour after the patch.

This is what I'm most disappointed with.

This. They should have just posted a "For Sale!" sign on the top 10 of squad arenas. lol :D
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Pretty much. I could pay a few hundred dollars and arena would be easy.

Relics 7s shouldn't have been available yet. It was a stupid and greedy move for CG to do this. Short term greed for long term damage.

I've seen 4 whales quit recently over this, it wasn't smart.
  • They can't do that now sadly. People have already whaled out and spent cash.

The things I suggested including a play wide relic materials gift pack is the only thing they can do now to alleviate the damage. At least peole will be able to compete with the freebies.
    jfears2 wrote: »

😂 okay CG man 👍

The go to come back when someone defends new content, good come back, do you use that every time you don't agree with something?

Also, what if I was a woman... your bold assumption is dangerous :)

It’s the go to on really bad opinions that ultimately hurt the long term health of the game. Devs aren’t too concerned about long term obviously so it fits 😃
  • As we all know, relics have created the single largest pay to win backlash as long as I can remember & has seriously damage player/developer relations & trust.

Instead of raging or threatening to quit, I thought what could be done to address this.

1. Reduce Cantina energy refresh cost to 50 crystals.

This is obvious, to remain competitive then all of our resources will need to go into relics to get teams to catch up to whales. Reducing the cost will allow us to farm characters and still make some relic progress.

2. Add in some of the bottleneck gear via daily challenges. This helps with the g9 bottleneck and the item required for relic levels 5+.

3. Add in relic trash weekly challenge, specific challenges focused around adding in gear in larger amounts (100+) but is gear we only need for scrap not gearing.

4. The biggest thing you could have done for the community would have been to gate relics 5+ behind a time sink (however this wasn't done) allowing 2 hour full relic 7 squads utterly destroyed all squad arena balance.

However, with the inclusion of a "relic gift" starter pack to the community (allowing a few relic levels for a few characters worth of gear) it will do a few things.

1. Incentivise those without g13 to get one leveled asap.
    2. Allow people in squad arena to at least compete with whales (relic 4 vs 7 is doable).
    3. Give whales a freebie to experiment on other units.

Marvel strike force did this with red stars, we all got a few when they were released. This should have the same.

This is all amazing ideas but it won't happen. This was a calculated move by CG. They need to keep pace with EA earning goals to appease stockholders. I get that, but SWGOH isn't a growing game anymore and honestly I think it's past it's peak playerbase and revenue wise. There's nothing wrong with that and it can still be a highly profitable game, but EA needs it to be the powerhouse it always has been to keep their stock rising and so the orders are delivered to CG and in a game where you can basically print money they've stepped up to the plate.

We're kidding ourselves if we think they are doing this because it's good for the game. This is way too soon after the g13 paywall, and Geo TB mini paywall to be a good move for the game. If they were going to add a system like this it would have been 3-5 months from now as the next gear increase. They're doing it this soon because they need to hit earning targets simple as that. Any idea we propose that makes sense can't work under those constraints.
  • I would only add make relic unlock at G12 and cap the level you can increase it to either 3 or 4
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Just get rid of both arena's