Proposal - how to address relic fallout

2Next

Replies

• Devs will do what they always do, not read any of this, or do it together chuckle and say, just ignore it for a few days, they’ll calm down and we can find more ways to get the dummies monies. Just how they operate, they don’t take any suggestions from the people on this forum. There’s great suggestions on how to fix some of this yet they won’t do any of them. Sad but true.
  • Fredy5 wrote: »
    They don't care and only work for Whales. Just look at the last update :
    1st - G12 toons. Only 7 stars toons ...
    2nd - 6 stars mods.. only available for G12, which means also 7 stars
    3rd - G13 and implemented P2Play Kyros gears
    4th - relic only for G13...

Next update will be for G13, lvl 7 relic.
    I am sure that the new abilities will be for level 8 Relics...

The game is “for profit”. Deal with it.
    SnakesOnAPlane

Of course but that doesn’t excuse bad decisions that effect the long term health of the game.

Of course but that doesn’t excuse bad decisions that effect the long term health of the game.

CG always has an Ace up their sleeve (and whales for life).
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • What will be done? Nothing, nothing at all.
  • Hmmm, I would express my opinion, however if past performance is an indicator of future performance ... I would get a warning or a ban.
  • I doubt anything will get done, but if the community make reasonable suggestions & are ignored it at least justifies some of the anger.

I mean 50 crystals for Cantina energy and flattening out the recharge rates is a good QOL no brainer which could gather some good public support.

Adding a new tier onto the daily challenges I'd again such a small amount or work & really due an update. Even if it's small amounts of bottleneck gear it's a start.

Finally the gift pack to all active players for materials as a "welcome to relics - have some materials to get started and try them out" - low tier materials obviously or enough to get 1 character to relic 4 or 5.

Marvel strike force did that at least & they are not exactly generous.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Straegen wrote: »
    Relics should be opened at G8 not G13. Outside of shifting the meta to absurd levels, moving Relics to a lower gear tier allows sub G13 characters to be more competitive and F2P isn't stuck behind a huge wall.

I almost wish they'd do this, just so the majority of the player base that can't manage their resources would burn through their lower tier gear even faster and then complain even louder.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    Straegen wrote: »
    Relics should be opened at G8 not G13. Outside of shifting the meta to absurd levels, moving Relics to a lower gear tier allows sub G13 characters to be more competitive and F2P isn't stuck behind a huge wall.

I almost wish they'd do this, just so the majority of the player base that can't manage their resources would burn through their lower tier gear even faster and then complain even louder.

Once you run out of gear, you’ll want to complain but you won’t in fear for your job....
  • Pervysage wrote: »
    As we all know, relics have created the single largest pay to win backlash as long as I can remember & has seriously damage player/developer relations & trust.

Instead of raging or threatening to quit, I thought what could be done to address this.

1. Reduce Cantina energy refresh cost to 50 crystals.

This is obvious, to remain competitive then all of our resources will need to go into relics to get teams to catch up to whales. Reducing the cost will allow us to farm characters and still make some relic progress.

2. Add in some of the bottleneck gear via daily challenges. This helps with the g9 bottleneck and the item required for relic levels 5+.

3. Add in relic trash weekly challenge, specific challenges focused around adding in gear in larger amounts (100+) but is gear we only need for scrap not gearing.

4. The biggest thing you could have done for the community would have been to gate relics 5+ behind a time sink (however this wasn't done) allowing 2 hour full relic 7 squads utterly destroyed all squad arena balance.

However, with the inclusion of a "relic gift" starter pack to the community (allowing a few relic levels for a few characters worth of gear) it will do a few things.

1. Incentivise those without g13 to get one leveled asap.
    2. Allow people in squad arena to at least compete with whales (relic 4 vs 7 is doable).
    3. Give whales a freebie to experiment on other units.

Marvel strike force did this with red stars, we all got a few when they were released. This should have the same.

This is all amazing ideas but it won't happen. This was a calculated move by CG. They need to keep pace with EA earning goals to appease stockholders. I get that, but SWGOH isn't a growing game anymore and honestly I think it's past it's peak playerbase and revenue wise. There's nothing wrong with that and it can still be a highly profitable game, but EA needs it to be the powerhouse it always has been to keep their stock rising and so the orders are delivered to CG and in a game where you can basically print money they've stepped up to the plate.

We're kidding ourselves if we think they are doing this because it's good for the game. This is way too soon after the g13 paywall, and Geo TB mini paywall to be a good move for the game. If they were going to add a system like this it would have been 3-5 months from now as the next gear increase. They're doing it this soon because they need to hit earning targets simple as that. Any idea we propose that makes sense can't work under those constraints.

Unfortunately this. It's a crying shame that unless businesses see a steady rise in revenue on par year after year, most consider it a dead business model. This game could easily continue to be profitable if they simply focused on the players more and spent less time figuring out how to disguise whale milking as a great update for everyone, but the former would never satisfy EA's board meetings on revenue.

Does CG really think we are that stupid that we wouldn't notice the Massive amount of *salvage* gear at tier 5,6 and 7 required? Salvaging purple gear in MASSIVE quantities? Does CG even understand the value of their own gear pieces?

The only way I can see this panning out successfully is if they release an event for veteran players. Perhaps one where only G13 toons can participate that grants large amounts of purple gear and salvage pieces.
  • Shadowscream
    968 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    I’m F2P — running Padme in Arena —> R4 relic on JKA (and rest Relic 2)
    I achieved my highest ever Arena finish with no refreshes against R5-7 Malak teams yesterday.

There are videos showing R7 JKA Padme teams and R7 GG teams AUTOing fully maxed Malak teams.
    It’s the Whales that should be more irritated —> GG = beats their shiny expensive team 😂

My top tip —> G13 and R7 GG and compete in Arena and GeoTB
  • jfears2 wrote: »
    jfears2 wrote: »
    As we all know, relics have created the single largest pay to win backlash as long as I can remember & has seriously damage player/developer relations & trust.

It has? They were just released them yesterday so how can you be so certain that it's already created the biggest backlash ever? I for one like them so clearly you do not speak for the entire player base.

😂 okay CG man 👍

The go to come back when someone defends new content, good come back, do you use that every time you don't agree with something?

Also, what if I was a woman... your bold assumption is dangerous :)

It’s the go to on really bad opinions that ultimately hurt the long term health of the game. Devs aren’t too concerned about long term obviously so it fits 😃

You don't know it will affect the long term health of the game, that is your opnion.. ask me and I think you have a bad opinion (see it works both ways) The point I'm making is that it's way to early to tell. This happens every update is all I'm saying, people run around screaming the sky is falling and the game is still here. Why dont you give it a month (actually work on some relics) and then report back.

Also dont take backlash as a good metric for overall health of the game. For one there are only a tiny fraction of players even on the forum but also human nature tells us to voice our feelings more loudly when upset but when satisfied people tend to stay quiet as we are content.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just because you disagree does not make the other opinion wrong.

I may change mine after awhile, my current opinion is I like it now but still too early to tell.
    You can probably assume the majority of what I post is sarcasm, feel free to skip and move along rather than reading...
  • Relics makes me feel like quitting. :(

It has? They were just released them yesterday so how can you be so certain that it's already created the biggest backlash ever? I for one like them so clearly you do not speak for the entire player base.

😂 okay CG man 👍

The go to come back when someone defends new content, good come back, do you use that every time you don't agree with something?

It’s the go to on really bad opinions that ultimately hurt the long term health of the game. Devs aren’t too concerned about long term obviously so it fits 😃

You don't know it will affect the long term health of the game, that is your opnion.. ask me and I think you have a bad opinion (see it works both ways) The point I'm making is that it's way to early to tell. This happens every update is all I'm saying, people run around screaming the sky is falling and the game is still here. Why dont you give it a month (actually work on some relics) and then report back.

Also dont take backlash as a good metric for overall health of the game. For one there are only a tiny fraction of players even on the forum but also human nature tells us to voice our feelings more loudly when upset but when satisfied people tend to stay quiet as we are content.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just because you disagree does not make the other opinion wrong.

I may change mine after awhile, my current opinion is I like it now but still too early to tell.

I get waiting to see what happens. However, when I see videos of absolutely insane damage with r7 toons, it just doesn’t bode well for longevity. Casual spenders like myself aren’t going to want to play arena, GAC, or even TW against whales and krackens who can just one shot everyone. The competitive aspect of this game just took a massive hit and that’s what keeps many of us around 🤷🏼‍♂️.

😂 okay CG man 👍

I get waiting to see what happens. However, when I see videos of absolutely insane damage with r7 toons, it just doesn’t bode well for longevity. Casual spenders like myself aren’t going to want to play arena, GAC, or even TW against whales and krackens who can just one shot everyone. The competitive aspect of this game just took a massive hit and that’s what keeps many of us around 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Why? When u can 1 shot them back with 1 targeted R7 e.g. GG or JKA
  • Pretty much. I could pay a few hundred dollars and arena would be easy.

Relics 7s shouldn't have been available yet. It was a stupid and greedy move for CG to do this. Short term greed for long term damage.

I've seen 4 whales quit recently over this, it wasn't smart.

We lost 3 in one guild and 4 in another ... 5m gp guys quitting
  • If 20% of players quit and they make 10% more money they are happy... the problem is that only can happen a few times before the wheels fall off and there's no one left to pay to have an advantage against...
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Damodamo wrote: »
    I still haven’t seen anyone talking about the ‘relics are for using old unused gear’.. yet higher level relics are using g12 gear and kyrotechs as well..

You still get to choose what to burn for relics and every tier has a piece that's not needed that much, which is definitely beter than straight-up G14. As always, it's about priorities and resource management.

Bro this is g14-17 in disguise. To say gear for lvl 5-7 has a piece that's not needed is lying
  • I heartily approve of #1-3.
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Nauros wrote: »
    Damodamo wrote: »
    I still haven’t seen anyone talking about the ‘relics are for using old unused gear’.. yet higher level relics are using g12 gear and kyrotechs as well..

You still get to choose what to burn for relics and every tier has a piece that's not needed that much, which is definitely beter than straight-up G14. As always, it's about priorities and resource management.

Bro this is g14-17 in disguise. To say gear for lvl 5-7 has a piece that's not needed is lying
    The armatek wristband (tier 6 craft) is needed by 22 characters in total, half of which are probably not even worth taking to G12. Now compare it to medpacks, needed by half of your entire roster, accumulated at a relatively similar rate.

You can convert this to relic materials without overstressing it, it's exactly a gear piece that you don't need after a certain point.
  • They are a company and need to make money totally understood. What needs to happen is separate the whales from the F2P base. If that happens in arena and Grand Arena I may stick around. I said to myself wait and see. I just got my first relic and i dont like it at all. Still need to gear up all my teams to gear 10-12. When they make content that requires relic levels see ya later.
  • Well I not that new, but I'm still working on a full gear 12 squad. Really 1 gear 12 toon. Everyone in my arena ranked 500 or less has relics....how Is this fair??? Oh my gp almost mil(not much)
  • Well I will admit that I unlocked relics a few days ago and the system is terrible. Dont have cantina energy to farm extra pieces and then upgrade. Terrible. If they make new content that requires relics I will silently bow out. I will also again add though that they are allowed to make money as a company I just refuse these particular services for my money.