Relics – The tale of a Kraken

Replies

• Ltswb1 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Ltswb1 wrote: »
    Ltswb1 wrote: »
    I don’t respect you any more than any other player, in fact I respect you less for buying your way to the top.

You do realize though that people like him are why we get to enjoy playing this game... No whales/krakens = no more getting to play with some of your favorite characters.

Totally untrue. There are tons of good games that have entertained more than this one that didn’t rely on whales. It’s the developers focus on the whales that has made the whales important to the viability of the game. The game could be just as, if not more so, profitable and fun without that focus. They just took the easy way out by praying on the gullibility of the whales.

In fact I’d go so far to say that the whales are what makes this game suck. Without them, the developers would actually have to develop something good that appealed to the masses.

Like forced paid content or a barrage of advertising?

I'm good with whales.

So you wouldn’t spend $5 a month to play a better game without psychological tricks, whales buying their way to the top, or ridiculous paywalls? CG made like 8.5 million off this game last year. $5 a person times 166 thousand people is $10 million a year. 166 thousand players is not a lot. And they could make more money. Just by making a fun game with a level playing field instead of catering to whales.

I would totally pay £5 a month for what you're suggesting but it's not feasible because they wouldn't earn enough. Your figures are wrong they make $8 million a month!

CG/EA had a choice and chose to go down the whale path to make money, they are the ones who keep the lights on. Once the whales go this game will be scrapped.
  • Well I just beat an arena team with a lvl 7 relic DR and kicked **** due to better speed mods.

Some poor bugger spent a lot of money just to be beaten by rng.

At least now I have a clear path forward. Abandon Sith Empire. Abandon developing Padme. Abandon Fleet Arena. Gear and lvl Grievous.

Screw 'em.
  • Well I just beat an arena team with a lvl 7 relic DR and kicked **** due to better speed mods.

At least now I have a clear path forward. Abandon Sith Empire. Abandon developing Padme. Abandon Fleet Arena. Gear and lvl Grievous.

Screw 'em.

Sith Empire definitely didn’t get the biggest boosts. People went all spazoid and did them since they are the arena team without waiting to see what would be best. The one exception is Marauder. From what I’ve seen Marauder with a gear 7 relic will one shot anything when he’s on a DR team. Hardly anyone did his relic though. Everyone jumped the gun and did DR and Malak. Do some research. There are a lot better relics. Talzin, Ordo, Geo Spy to name a few.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    My Top 60 guild is set to lose 3 members at the end of the TB.

Another 2 officers are convinced this is it for them too. A 3rd is flipping coins over it.

We're small fish bouncing around between 60-100, comparatively. There's no way my guild's members debates are the outlier here.

It won't cripple us, but it will hurt. We're already at a deficit that recruiting hasn't filled due to 2 drops over the last week, calling it for G13 falling behind.

2 of our impending departures have spent a *lot* of money.

Again -- there's no way we're alone in this.

Welp, my guild that's stayed strong through everything they have ever thrown at us, is losing members for the first time ever to something CG is doing, they finally hit the limit on "CG is terrible" over "here cause my guild is awesome and the friends I made playing are great"

CG, you really dun messed up with Relics. They should have come out a long time later in the year or even next year, and NEW CONTENT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRST.
  • That's a sad story actually.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    I think it’s happening to a lot of guilds. It’s not just relics causing it, it’s the culmination of several bad decisions and lack of content. Relics just exacerbated it and they are the straw that finally broke the camels back for a lot of people.

I have quite a bit stockpiled (40k crystals, 100 zeta mats, 60k GET) so my plan is to use up my stockpiles to have some fun with stuff I’ve been wanting to try (GG nuke team and Old Republic) and then quit when that runs out and I am no longer getting first in arena. I just g13ed Zaalbar and I already had g13 Ordo and Mission. I get Wat today. I’m going to use my remaining resources to do GGs relic and Ordo’s relic, have a little fun, and then peace out.

Everyone is different though. All I can say is do what is best and feels right to you. Don’t let anyone else influence your decision about quitting or staying, when to quit or how to quit.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Now GEOTB makes sense. Another cash grab. EA needs some employees with business sense. No wonder Fornite is cleaning the clocks of all gaming studios. To quote Jim Morrison..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4

If you wonder about me getting on the relic hamster wheel.. ask Ozzie for my answer..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F89-MOy7Xfg
    Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on
  • Ikky2win wrote: »
    I think it’s happening to a lot of guilds. It’s not just relics causing it, it’s the culmination of several bad decisions and lack of content. Relics just exacerbated it and they are the straw that finally broke the camels back for a lot of people.

I have quite a bit stockpiled (40k crystals, 100 zeta mats, 60k GET) so my plan is to use up my stockpiles to have some fun with stuff I’ve been wanting to try (GG nuke team and Old Republic) and then quit when that runs out and I am no longer getting first in arena. I just g13ed Zaalbar and I already had g13 Ordo and Mission. I get Wat today. I’m going to use my remaining resources to do GGs relic and Ordo’s relic, have a little fun, and then peace out.

Everyone is different though. All I can say is do what is best and feels right to you. Don’t let anyone else influence your decision about quitting or staying, when to quit or how to quit.

Taking a similar approach. Collecting has become the only fun part of the game. Arena hasn't been enjoyable since Traya came to be (Skelturix has a great post on Reddit about this). GAC could have been great but all of the unnecessarily complicated business around leagues and divisions and the opaqueness of matchmaking dimmed its star very quickly. Geo TB isn't novel, just hard. At least now we understand what it's tuned for. Don't regularly bother with arena matches anymore, but still climb in fleet because it's more predictable. I'll probably stick around in a limited capacity until the metas shift, since then there won't be any crystal income which means no more collecting, which means no reason to play the game since there's not much to do that's interesting outside of collect stuff now.
  • PukeCrywalker
    77 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    I want to start by saying, LOVELY artwork on the Relics guys! Beautiful, that can't be argued! It's also a perfectly logical progression since we have spent years upgrading our toons Gear but never touching their Weapons{Relic} which is actually what does damage!! I like the life it breathes into the game however, at the same time I am perturbed by the in flow of mainly the 3 data types all from the same most expensive energy nodes in Cantina and the gear reqd for Zinbiddle is way to narrow here guys! I've bought ALL but one of the packs that dropped with Relics{not afraid to drop some $ to get somewhere near the "Tip"} and refreshed the f out of cantina and I am reporting back the best approach IMO to somewat resolve the issues.
    Easy fix-Change data mat pieces inflow from (3)16 energy cantina nodes to maybe ONE 16 energy and others spread throughout the lower cost energy nodes(1 on maybe a 10 node and one on a 12 node) and have other source(s) for the 3 data types or double current data mat drop rates on the perspective nodes. I have ALL cantina toons 7* as I am a whale or Watever you want to call "it" I don't think the power jump(no "creeping" here) is too bad as long as you increase in flow. We all know you guys have got to make money but this is a little far....

"We've been Zinbiddled"
    Add some Zins to GAC drops TB and such.. Too many have left already from arena and fleet and it's sad to see some who I thought would never retire from this game. Something needs to give or many more will follow.

Oh boy, you can't possibly think this is the brunt of it?

The current GAC was the first one where I remember seeing G13 all over the place.

The next GAC will have level 7 relics all over the place.

When the next GAC lands... trust me.. by the end, I'm willing to bet a lot of people will be not happy. A lot less happy.
  • #FREETOPLAYISTHEONLYWAY
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    #FREETOPLAYISTHEONLYWAY

Disagree.

No game if this were true.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    #FREETOPLAYISTHEONLYWAY

Disagree.

Facebook and Google would disagree with you. Twitter as well.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    #FREETOPLAYISTHEONLYWAY

Disagree.

Citing the internet is a terrible argument.
    #FREETOPLAYISTHEONLYWAY

Disagree.

I'm confident that EA/CG is already using the data being produced by SWGOH players to the fullest extent of monetization possible. We're a pretty lucrative demographic to target.
    To give you a little background, I started playing during the last week of November 2017 (less than 2 years ago). Most people categorize me as a Kraken. I currently have 27 G13, 66 G12, and 425 10+ speed mods. I haven’t kept track of the amount I’ve spent, but if I had to guess I would say somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000. Probably around $500.00 a month. I make a good living and the expenditure is not an issue. It has no impact on my life, it doesn’t prevent from doing anything, and I’m not neglecting anything like my bills, retirement savings, etc. I am providing this info so you can better understand where I’m coming from.

Unfortunately, Relics are going to force me to quit the game. I still love the game as much as I did when I first started playing, but the introduction of Relics simply crossed the line. Whereas before I felt I was getting value for the money I spent, I no longer feel that way. The money itself is not the issue. I can afford it. Here are few of the issues:

• Relics were released too close to G13. I have 27 G13, which is a lot compared to most people, but that’s not even close to making me feel like my roster is complete. I have a ton more characters I’d like to G13, but instead I now have to focus on level 7 Relics for certain characters.

• The stat gains from Relics are WAY too high. 80k health Nest? 11k damage DR? 225k+ Health Malak? It makes it an absolute requirement to obtain certain characters’ level 7 Relics to be competitive. This is not a new phenomenon, but its pushed it to the extreme. I’m watching videos of Grievous with a level 7 Relic one-shotting entire teams, including DR, on TURN ONE.

• The damage increases are not relative to the defensive increases. Going back to the previous bullet, I’ve seen GG one shot some of the tankiest of tanks on turn one.

• Speed just became even MORE important. If you have characters that can now one-shot entire teams or even just one-shot single characters on turn one, speed becomes even more important than it was previously (and it was all-important even before this).

• The price point is way to high compared to the value. We were discussing this in Discord earlier, and we (by we, I mean my guildmate, Ender) came up with a rough estimate that it will take anywhere from $360-$900 to take a single character from 0 to max (the variance depends on if you buy shards, packs, or farm the character). Emphasis on rough estimate. CG has always stressed that they want you to be able to utilize all of your characters, but what they are doing with Relics completely contradicts that.

I have been playing since November 2016, average 1 in both Arenas and have spent a marginal amount of money compared to most others and have very strategically planned out my farming for characters, gear, mods etc to remain extremely competitive while keeping as close to FTP as I could. With that said, I also truly love the game and have made some great friends in the game that have turned into friends out of the game. Although you have obviously spent way more than me, you have expressed the same exact feelings that I have had ever since the announcement of relics. I was going to give it a try to see if you could maintain top without spending and it is virtually impossible. Without mentioning a name, because I do like this player, he is a true Kraken and his Arena team cannot be beat without spending money.

After this TB, I will be quitting the game. Thank you CG for ruining the game with such a poor planned power creep.
    #FREETOPLAYISTHEONLYWAY

Disagree.

You are a modern day Don Quijote. Charging down the internet like it was a windmill of yesteryear.

Don't trust the internet for anything.
  • The way CG and EA have been operating, only reinforces my resolve not to spend a single cent on this game, which pains me since it's one of the best games I've played. Unfortunately, I've seen other games die out precisely because the companies got way too greedy and F2P didnt stand a chance if they didn't spend money.
  • if the game gave me EVERY chatacter at 7* lvl85... it wouldn't change a single thing. As others have already stated, it's a game about gear. I've been F2P for along time. I place top 50 in squad arena and top 20 in fleet. I know how to use my roster better than most. I am on track to hit Kyber rank in GAC.. but now i dont know... ive recently gotten g13 GG but its sad to think my entire roster shrank to my only 3 g13 characters. Relic toons are now my only PvP viable options..

I'll keep playing as long as I can stsy relevant.. but I'm seeing that that dream is going to be short lived
  • The way CG and EA have been operating, only reinforces my resolve not to spend a single cent on this game, which pains me since it's one of the best games I've played. Unfortunately, I've seen other games die out precisely because the companies got way too greedy and F2P didnt stand a chance if they didn't spend money.

I wonder why they have remained so silent?

I have to wonder because I feel CG Carrie would have addressed this by now.

Yeah, this is starting to look like a canned hunt p2p on f2p..
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Don Quijote.

Interesting.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    The way CG and EA have been operating, only reinforces my resolve not to spend a single cent on this game, which pains me since it's one of the best games I've played. Unfortunately, I've seen other games die out precisely because the companies got way too greedy and F2P didnt stand a chance if they didn't spend money.

Addressed as in making a passive-aggressive comment on Twitter?
  • Lio wrote: »
    The way CG and EA have been operating, only reinforces my resolve not to spend a single cent on this game, which pains me since it's one of the best games I've played. Unfortunately, I've seen other games die out precisely because the companies got way too greedy and F2P didnt stand a chance if they didn't spend money.

Addressed as in making a passive-aggressive comment on Twitter?

Which would be more than we've gotten thus far correct?

And might you garner a guess as to whom this current content was created under?

I'm guessing G13 and relics have CG Carrie's finger prints all over them.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that this was part of her 5 year plan.

I think they refused to ditch the hard work they had done.

Decided that they'd cram 5 years into 5 months, and start a new platform. A new phase. A new direction.

As this new direction idea - was something well described in their latest update post.
  • groovdog
    102 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    Well I just beat an arena team with a lvl 7 relic DR and kicked **** due to better speed mods.

Screw 'em.

Sith Empire definitely didn’t get the biggest boosts. People went all spazoid and did them since they are the arena team without waiting to see what would be best. The one exception is Marauder. From what I’ve seen Marauder with a gear 7 relic will one shot anything when he’s on a DR team. Hardly anyone did his relic though. Everyone jumped the gun and did DR and Malak. Do some research. There are a lot better relics. Talzin, Ordo, Geo Spy to name a few.

This.

As background I am with OP but only 10 months. Level 7 DR HK BSF and 4 on trooper (for giggles). Burned out on first DR run so DM only 6 star (impatient so only hoarded half of gec needed by time he came back).

My advice to anyone is do not relic the DR team. If you BSF is slower you will still loses to way lower teams. Mods remain king for DR arena meta. Now that I finally got my speed up I am hard to beat now . Not because of 300 usd of relics but because of 500 crystals worth of slicing mats....

And so there is a basis of comparison my shard top 20 is all top 500 of Divs 4-8 including several legit top 5s. They muster beast top arena teams for their time in the game. So it can only be worse in higher gp divs.
    Don Quijote.

Interesting.

I think he meant don quixote
    #FREETOPLAYISTHEONLYWAY

Disagree.

Your answers are on auto responder, they are always the same. Game great, you wrong.. bad..
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    What would be hysterical is if someone were to Relic Mob Enforcer and CUP and find that they break the meta for all the existing meta toons. Then you'd see CG scramble......Oh we have to do a quick hot fix. Things are not working as intended........ They'd have whale blubber all over their galoshes.
  • I'm just wondering how much has fallen online since the release of relics, coz probably 80% in this game f2p, and relics Death for f2p.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    #FREETOPLAYISTHEONLYWAY

Disagree.

Your answers are on auto responder, they are always the same. Game great, you wrong.. bad..

No, I tailor each answer to the individual poster!

Nice job on HSTR.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Don Quijote.

Interesting.

I think he meant don quixote

Yes I know.