Relics – The tale of a Kraken

Replies

• JKDude01 wrote: »
    I have been playing since November 2016, average 1 in both Arenas and have spent a marginal amount of money compared to most others and have very strategically planned out my farming for characters, gear, mods etc to remain extremely competitive while keeping as close to FTP as I could. With that said, I also truly love the game and have made some great friends in the game that have turned into friends out of the game. Although you have obviously spent way more than me, you have expressed the same exact feelings that I have had ever since the announcement of relics. I was going to give it a try to see if you could maintain top without spending and it is virtually impossible. Without mentioning a name, because I do like this player, he is a true Kraken and his Arena team cannot be beat without spending money.

After this TB, I will be quitting the game. Thank you CG for ruining the game with such a poor planned power creep.

Let me fix something for you:
    he is a true Kraken and his Arena team cannot be beat ON DAY ONE without spending money.

This is ALWAYS how the game has been -- spenders get a time advantage, and when something new that affects arena is dropped, they get a small period of advantage in arena. New meta character drops? Those who spend $500 gearing the character in the first hour of release have an advantage while others catch up. Relics aren't really any different; they just look different.
  • xtlpjbbf2a7v.jpg
    So much schadenfreude to experience, this is hilarious. Like, go outside, take a break, stop spending money and just play the game. Y'all have no one to blame but yourselves.
    Started July 2016, completely FTP : https://swgoh.gg/u/rogenhamen/
  • Puddleduck
    30 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Why spend that much that's just insane
    You are the reason they pull this crap by spending the insane amount of money on it for what a mere bit of data that says your gg hits harder than theirs
  • ...I mostly just play this game because I got rid of my OG Kenner action figures a long time ago and this is sort of like a socially acceptable way to play with action figures in the modern world.

Mine were in my basement - dusted off when my son "came of age." I have passed on the legacy, and the student has indeed become the master. Watching him interact with this game is a great reminder it can still just be played as a game. He actually has fun bringing the thematic counter into a regular node battle.

Agree with your list - I'm just sad that there are all these iconic characters with such a rich story and there's no useful and entertaining way to use them. Just such a missed opportunity.

Sigh, I wish I hadn't sold mine as a young boy at a yard sale.
  • I would totally pay £5 a month for what you're suggesting but it's not feasible because they wouldn't earn enough. Your figures are wrong they make $8 million a month!

CG/EA had a choice and chose to go down the whale path to make money, they are the ones who keep the lights on. Once the whales go this game will be scrapped.

To anyone that want's to play a fun game for minimal investment.

I would suggest "Empires & Puzzles".

Completely free, but has microtransactions if you want them.

The best option however is the $5/Month "VIP" membership.

Its not required but it does double the rate you can build up your castle/village.

Has leveling characters like in SW but they are more D&D looking fantasy stuff.

Has epic style "raids" with their "Titans" while also having "PVP" with the "Raids" & "Alliance Wars"

Has "Sims" and "Auto" functions too, but "Sims" are not as plentiful so you'll do more battles on "Auto" if you are farming easy content & has WAY more PVE progression map zones.
  • Ikky2win wrote: »
    • The stat gains from Relics are WAY too high.
    • The price point is way to high compared to the value.

I am confused. Would less stat gains be higher value to you?
    • The stat gains from Relics are WAY too high.
    • The price point is way to high compared to the value.

I am confused. Would less stat gains be higher value to you?

I think I know what he means, but I may be wrong:

The higher the stat gain, the bigger the gap between whatever relic level your opponent's character is, and your G11, G12, and G13 non-amplified characters. This means the characters he paid to enhance up until now just became much less useful because they can't really compete against relic-amplified characters, whereas they could compete against top teams previously. So, he would have to spend much more to catch them up.

If the stat gains were lower, G11, G12, and G13 non-amplified characters could still be useful to an extent against relic-amplified teams.

And since he thinks the price point is way too high, the cost of bringing all of his characters up to par is a waste.

TLDR: After previous updates, developed characters were still competitive. Now, the power increase is so big they're worthless relative to relic-amplified characters. And high cost means lots of $ to upgrade all of those relics to fix that.
  • Pfft.....its all a bit like a piece of paper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiJa9diJOMk
    Players will lap it up init
    RawdSW wrote: »
    Doitsuyama wrote: »
    I like this thread, but the title should have been "Tale of a Whale", has a better ring to it. Other than that, I must say that the thread opener totally has the option to continue f2p, he still enjoys a juicy advantage on the other f2p players. But it seems rather obvious he is an entitled "person" demanding immediate fulfilment. Such a game requiring theory crafting and multi month long planning just is the wrong game for him, simple as this.

Wow, you really couldn't be more wrong about him. He is actually an officer in our guild and one of the most knowledgeable people I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. He has a very deep understanding of this game mechanics and enough patience to be an officer. If he quits, it will be a tremendous loss for us.

His concerns are valid and shared by many in our guild, myself included. It would be unwise to dismiss them.

Thank you! I am an extremely competitive person so f2p is not an option for me. I wouldn’t enjoy the game. It has nothing to do with entitlement. I only enjoy it if I can compete with the other top people. I would be miserable only being able to climb to 15th in arena instead of first. That’s just how games work for me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being F2P or finding enjoyment from the game in other ways though if you can.

You do know that it is possible to compete in arena ftp. You likely already have your arena team at g13. At least I'd hope so if you spend as much as you say.

And relics up to level 4 or 5 is only a manner of farming the signal data. Only a few weeks of farming.

Add to that the fact that relics add no speed so if you have good mods, you can still win against r7 teams with just g13 or r3 teams.

You can also get creative on offense. Gmy with speed gets tenacity up on your team and lets you resist many of tge debuffs while you land yours. That can make up for a little gear.

And when the dust settles you can spend again if and when you feel it's value to you.

But spend $500 a month or quit are not the only options. There are plenty of ftp in the top of arena through skill. Saying you have to spend $500 a month to be competitive is just not true.
  • Ltswb1 wrote: »
    I’m constantly amazed at how people are stunned by actions like this. From the very minute I joined this game 3 years ago, it was blatantly obvious that money grabbing was the primary focus of the developers. It’s EA for gods sake. They’re notorious for this kind of stuff. And now that I think back on my years of daily play, I think I take the most pride in how many times I’ve held strong and kept my wallet closed. More proud of that than unlocking Chewy and C3po with the “wrong” teams, or reaching no. 1 in Arena with a FTP account. They play psychological games with us every day to milk us as much as possible.
    To the OP, I don’t care how much money I had, there has never been anything in this game worth Whaling on. Nothing. Because as soon as you spend your money, they make what you spent it on obsolete. You bought nothing except a right to buy something else. And you’ve proven nothing to me or any others by doing so. I don’t respect you any more than any other player, in fact I respect you less for buying your way to the top.

well put. It takes much more skill to take 1st in arena ftp than to buy your way to 1st.
  • Ltswb1 wrote: »
    I don’t respect you any more than any other player, in fact I respect you less for buying your way to the top.

You do realize though that people like him are why we get to enjoy playing this game... No whales/krakens = no more getting to play with some of your favorite characters.

Or heaven forbid, they'd have to go back to a business model that doesn't milk whales. Like a subscription model or a fee for the game.

Sorry but when spending $20 only gets you a fee days worth of arena crystals and it costs $200 to take a charater to a gear level that I can get there ftp in a few weeks or a month. It just isn't a good deal.

But the whales and krackens pay that much so they will keep milking them.

• Liath wrote: »
    HenriqueAA wrote: »
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    To give you a little background, I started playing during the last week of November 2017 (less than 2 years ago). Most people categorize me as a Kraken. I currently have 27 G13, 66 G12, and 425 10+ speed mods. I haven’t kept track of the amount I’ve spent, but if I had to guess I would say somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000. Probably around $500.00 a month. I make a good living and the expenditure is not an issue. It has no impact on my life, it doesn’t prevent from doing anything, and I’m not neglecting anything like my bills, retirement savings, etc. I am providing this info so you can better understand where I’m coming from.

Unfortunately, Relics are going to force me to quit the game. I still love the game as much as I did when I first started playing, but the introduction of Relics simply crossed the line. Whereas before I felt I was getting value for the money I spent, I no longer feel that way. The money itself is not the issue. I can afford it. Here are few of the issues:

• Relics were released too close to G13. I have 27 G13, which is a lot compared to most people, but that’s not even close to making me feel like my roster is complete. I have a ton more characters I’d like to G13, but instead I now have to focus on level 7 Relics for certain characters.

• The stat gains from Relics are WAY too high. 80k health Nest? 11k damage DR? 225k+ Health Malak? It makes it an absolute requirement to obtain certain characters’ level 7 Relics to be competitive. This is not a new phenomenon, but its pushed it to the extreme. I’m watching videos of Grievous with a level 7 Relic one-shotting entire teams, including DR, on TURN ONE.

• The damage increases are not relative to the defensive increases. Going back to the previous bullet, I’ve seen GG one shot some of the tankiest of tanks on turn one.

• Speed just became even MORE important. If you have characters that can now one-shot entire teams or even just one-shot single characters on turn one, speed becomes even more important than it was previously (and it was all-important even before this).

• The price point is way to high compared to the value. We were discussing this in Discord earlier, and we (by we, I mean my guildmate, Ender) came up with a rough estimate that it will take anywhere from $360-$900 to take a single character from 0 to max (the variance depends on if you buy shards, packs, or farm the character). Emphasis on rough estimate. CG has always stressed that they want you to be able to utilize all of your characters, but what they are doing with Relics completely contradicts that.

• Lastly (I could go on forever but lets just leave it with this last bullet), we don’t receive enough information to know where to spend our money. I understand this on purpose to get people to spend money, but I simply can’t justify spending several hundred dollars on a character today, that may not even be meta tomorrow. Do you have any idea how angry people would be if they bought all those packs in the store and leveled up the Relics for DR and Malak, and General Anakin is released next week and the meta shifts? Additionally, I don’t even know which characters to focus on because we don’t have a sandbox mode. With the prices so high, even whales and Krakens are only going to level up Relics for a couple characters first. Which characters though? It’s anyone’s guess because we can’t do full testing. Imagine taking DR’s relic to 7 today, and tomorrow someone finds a Grievous team with a level 7 Relic that outperforms it on both offense and defense. Now I have to spend another couple hundred dollars for GG in order to remain competitive?

I absolutely love this game still. I want to keep playing but you’re forcing me to quit. You crossed a line where the content and price of that content just simply isn’t greater than the value. That line is different for everyone, but I have a feeling you crossed it for a LOT of people this time. You just went one step too far. I’d love to keep playing, I have the money to keep playing and remain competitive, but I simply can no longer justify it. Unless something changes in the next day or two, you just cost yourself at least $500.00 a month.

CG, read this text from the guy above, it reflects what we all think.

I really wish people would stop acting like they speak for everybody.

Agreed. I agree with very little of what the op posted.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Don Quijote.

Interesting.

I think he meant don quixote

I was referring to the Japanese supermarket chain. What did you think I was talking about?
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    To give you a little background, I started playing during the last week of November 2017 (less than 2 years ago). Most people categorize me as a Kraken. I currently have 27 G13, 66 G12, and 425 10+ speed mods. I haven’t kept track of the amount I’ve spent, but if I had to guess I would say somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000. Probably around $500.00 a month. I make a good living and the expenditure is not an issue. It has no impact on my life, it doesn’t prevent from doing anything, and I’m not neglecting anything like my bills, retirement savings, etc. I am providing this info so you can better understand where I’m coming from.

Unfortunately, Relics are going to force me to quit the game. I still love the game as much as I did when I first started playing, but the introduction of Relics simply crossed the line. Whereas before I felt I was getting value for the money I spent, I no longer feel that way. The money itself is not the issue. I can afford it. Here are few of the issues:

• Relics were released too close to G13. I have 27 G13, which is a lot compared to most people, but that’s not even close to making me feel like my roster is complete. I have a ton more characters I’d like to G13, but instead I now have to focus on level 7 Relics for certain characters.

• The stat gains from Relics are WAY too high. 80k health Nest? 11k damage DR? 225k+ Health Malak? It makes it an absolute requirement to obtain certain characters’ level 7 Relics to be competitive. This is not a new phenomenon, but its pushed it to the extreme. I’m watching videos of Grievous with a level 7 Relic one-shotting entire teams, including DR, on TURN ONE.

• The damage increases are not relative to the defensive increases. Going back to the previous bullet, I’ve seen GG one shot some of the tankiest of tanks on turn one.

• Speed just became even MORE important. If you have characters that can now one-shot entire teams or even just one-shot single characters on turn one, speed becomes even more important than it was previously (and it was all-important even before this).

• The price point is way to high compared to the value. We were discussing this in Discord earlier, and we (by we, I mean my guildmate, Ender) came up with a rough estimate that it will take anywhere from $360-$900 to take a single character from 0 to max (the variance depends on if you buy shards, packs, or farm the character). Emphasis on rough estimate. CG has always stressed that they want you to be able to utilize all of your characters, but what they are doing with Relics completely contradicts that.

• Lastly (I could go on forever but lets just leave it with this last bullet), we don’t receive enough information to know where to spend our money. I understand this on purpose to get people to spend money, but I simply can’t justify spending several hundred dollars on a character today, that may not even be meta tomorrow. Do you have any idea how angry people would be if they bought all those packs in the store and leveled up the Relics for DR and Malak, and General Anakin is released next week and the meta shifts? Additionally, I don’t even know which characters to focus on because we don’t have a sandbox mode. With the prices so high, even whales and Krakens are only going to level up Relics for a couple characters first. Which characters though? It’s anyone’s guess because we can’t do full testing. Imagine taking DR’s relic to 7 today, and tomorrow someone finds a Grievous team with a level 7 Relic that outperforms it on both offense and defense. Now I have to spend another couple hundred dollars for GG in order to remain competitive?

I absolutely love this game still. I want to keep playing but you’re forcing me to quit. You crossed a line where the content and price of that content just simply isn’t greater than the value. That line is different for everyone, but I have a feeling you crossed it for a LOT of people this time. You just went one step too far. I’d love to keep playing, I have the money to keep playing and remain competitive, but I simply can no longer justify it. Unless something changes in the next day or two, you just cost yourself at least $500.00 a month.

I wish you people would actually think about someone besides yourselves though. Congrats you speak for the minority and the rest of us speak for everyone else, good work on being blind. I bet you all post here cause on Reddit you'd get downvoted so far you'd never see your comments ever, and maybe even get deleted since the mods actually do something on reddit against people who troll instead of targeting others they shouldn't.

Relics are breaking this game for so many people, because they have BROKEN the game.

Don't be naive about this. if they don't nerf relics down then more will leave, I just don't understand the IQ it must take to think that the game dying is a good thing.
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Relic 7 Grievous testing

https://youtu.be/ZLfZ2Bri89w
  • Relic 7 Grievous testing

https://youtu.be/ZLfZ2Bri89w
    Good thing it doesn't become any harder to beat on defense. I do hope all these videos make more people waste their first relic upgrades on GG for a low-banner DR counter.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Gorem wrote: »

I wish you people would actually think about someone besides yourselves though. Congrats you speak for the minority and the rest of us speak for everyone else, good work on being blind. I bet you all post here cause on Reddit you'd get downvoted so far you'd never see your comments ever, and maybe even get deleted since the mods actually do something on reddit against people who troll instead of targeting others they shouldn't.

Relics are breaking this game for so many people, because they have BROKEN the game.

Don't be naive about this. if they don't nerf relics down then more will leave, I just don't understand the IQ it must take to think that the game dying is a good thing.

Your assumption that you speak for the majority is part of the problem. You don't actually have any idea how widespread your opinion is across the entire player base. There are a lot more players than those that post on this forum and reddit. But since you believe it, and some other loud people believe it, you just declare that the rest of are blind, naive, and low IQ.
  • Liath wrote: »
    Gorem wrote: »

Your assumption that you speak for the majority is part of the problem. You don't actually have any idea how widespread your opinion is across the entire player base. There are a lot more players than those that post on this forum and reddit. But since you believe it, and some other loud people believe it, you just declare that the rest of are blind, naive, and low IQ.

And people like you dismiss his pts on that alone is also part of the problem. I have 5 guys in my 230mil guild who are probably going to quit as a resul of the rapid post g13 release. Anedoctal yes but not good. They want content not gearing and are not happy that the creep isnt creeping but rather jumping over buildings like Superman.
  • Gorem wrote: »

I have seen no evidence of the stats from relics breaking the game. I have faced a few teams with r7 characters and still beat them just fine. Yes, it's as little more difficult but that is expected with any new gear.

The only video evidence I've seen or r7 one shotting everyone was gg vs darth revan teams. And that was already a thing before relics. And that is caused mostly from ferocity lowering defense. Gg is a counter to darth revan. But the minute you bring in a tankier team, they easily lose on defense. So not broken.

And I don't claim to speak for everyone, just myself.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Agreed. I took on a R7 Malak BSF DR with my R3 Malak and R1 BSF and DR and had no problem whatsoever. Mods still matter and the AI is still bad.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
    I like this thread, but the title should have been "Tale of a Whale", has a better ring to it. Other than that, I must say that the thread opener totally has the option to continue f2p, he still enjoys a juicy advantage on the other f2p players. But it seems rather obvious he is an entitled "person" demanding immediate fulfilment. Such a game requiring theory crafting and multi month long planning just is the wrong game for him, simple as this.

Wow, you really couldn't be more wrong about him. He is actually an officer in our guild and one of the most knowledgeable people I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. He has a very deep understanding of this game mechanics and enough patience to be an officer. If he quits, it will be a tremendous loss for us.

His concerns are valid and shared by many in our guild, myself included. It would be unwise to dismiss them.

Thank you! I am an extremely competitive person so f2p is not an option for me. I wouldn’t enjoy the game. It has nothing to do with entitlement. I only enjoy it if I can compete with the other top people. I would be miserable only being able to climb to 15th in arena instead of first. That’s just how games work for me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being F2P or finding enjoyment from the game in other ways though if you can.

You do know that it is possible to compete in arena ftp. You likely already have your arena team at g13. At least I'd hope so if you spend as much as you say.

And relics up to level 4 or 5 is only a manner of farming the signal data. Only a few weeks of farming.

Add to that the fact that relics add no speed so if you have good mods, you can still win against r7 teams with just g13 or r3 teams.

You can also get creative on offense. Gmy with speed gets tenacity up on your team and lets you resist many of tge debuffs while you land yours. That can make up for a little gear.

And when the dust settles you can spend again if and when you feel it's value to you.

But spend $500 a month or quit are not the only options. There are plenty of ftp in the top of arena through skill. Saying you have to spend $500 a month to be competitive is just not true.

What a long dead arena shard? I assure you in mine FTP couldn't break the top 25 maybe even 50. I mean we have G13 DR and Malak, JKR and company, and GG nukem along with regular sep, Padme teams teams in 200s and up. I have spent a decent amount on SWGOH and I can barely break into the top 100 for a few seconds.

We already have level 7 GG relics, DR, Malak, Anakin and more. Plus the assorted 1 to 7 range toons. This is all in the top 200. It is not even possible for a FTP player to even break the top 50 in my shard.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Warp3dM1nd wrote: »

What a long dead arena shard? I assure you in mine FTP couldn't break the top 25 maybe even 50. I mean we have G13 DR and Malak, JKR and company, and GG nukem along with regular sep, Padme teams teams in 200s and up. I have spent a decent amount on SWGOH and I can barely break into the top 100 for a few seconds.

We already have level 7 GG relics, DR, Malak, Anakin and more. Plus the assorted 1 to 7 range toons. This is all in the top 200. It is not even possible for a FTP player to even break the top 50 in my shard.

You overestimate your shard and the ability of smart FTP to compensate.
  • Bye lol. whales wont be missed.

No whales = No revenue = game gets shut down.
    I may be ftp but fully understand that whales keep this game going.
    Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.
  • TVF wrote: »

I was 1st in my shard for a year before malak came out, and then i was being knocked out of the top 100 overnight because i had no counter to a fully modded g12+ (this was before g13 was available) malak. 'Smarts' had nothing to do with it as even the youtubers couldn't find a way to beat him until g13 became available.
    Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

I was 1st in my shard for a year before malak came out, and then i was being knocked out of the top 100 overnight because i had no counter to a fully modded g12+ (this was before g13 was available) malak. 'Smarts' had nothing to do with it as even the youtubers couldn't find a way to beat him until g13 became available.

This has nothing to do with what you quoted.
  • Warp3dM1nd wrote: »

You don't think a ftp player can't build a team that can beat a g13 malak? It just takes focus.

https://swgoh.gg/p/841745192/

There's my swgoh.gg. I have not spent a cent on the game.
  • Warp3dM1nd wrote: »

G13 darth malak teams aren't that hard to beat with a darth revan, badstilla, hk, gmy, and a 5star malak. Before I got malak, I was using thrawn/brood alpha if I needed a pretaunt. Same results but g11 malak is a bit better on defense.

GG nukem teams are easy prey to ep tray lead with fair mods. That's why they aren't meta. We have an r7 anakin too. I took it out with darth revan, badstilla, hk, sion, and thrawn. Turns out if you fracture padme, the team falls apart even with an r7 anakin.