Define "fun"

Travesty
64 posts Member
edited September 2019
Fun is different for everyone (after all, some people have fun pulling the wings off insects), but the current coin flip mechanic of DS GTB doesn't feel fun.

Ships: You get Mace and you rolfl stomp them. Get GK and his opening moves daze two of your pilots and kills the third before you get to move -- and I'm talking about maxed ships with G13 pilots.

Instead of fun, it feels like I, as a player, have no agency in my own success. That the outcome is purely dependent on a coin flip RNG and out of my control. It makes me feel like, "Eh, why bother?"

Same goes for getting ShaakTi in the third wave of the special mission in the first slice, and many other examples in the DS GTB. Win the coin flip, and you contribute to your guild's progress. Lose the toss and you fail. Either way the outcome is beyond our control and players feel like, well, they're not really getting to play.

So CG, do you really think this mechanic is fun? Do you think this mechanic will help retain players over the long run, or cause them to wander off to play something else that feels fun?

Challenging is fun. Beyond anything you can control is unfun.

Inb4, "I don't have that problem, so it must not exist." Yes, there a a few here and there who get lucky and beat GK but I suspect for the mass majority of players (and only CG has the data to know for sure) the experience is similar to what I described.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Wait, you "inb4"d your own post? You were the poster, everyone you said was "inb4". You are today's grand posting champion for thinking you could get in before you got in...
  • A wall break within a wall break. That’s like 16 wall breaks.
  • Deadpool is now jealous
  • Do either of you have something to contribute to the actual issue, or is this just another topic to derail for you?
  • People just need to learn what the enemy characters do and use better strategies and keep improving their rosters. Too many people are used to just auto'ing Hoth and think they can just button mash their way through TB. It's not intended to max everything in the first couple of months....we just got G13 and Relics are on their way....this TB is tuned to last for the long-term...not become an auto-fest right away.
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    If I was a CG employee, making controversial announcements on Fridays and then enjoying my weekend as the forums burn would be my definition of fun
  • Sure. I'll add. I get my butt handed to me on a regular basis in Geo TB, but I'm continuing to improve my roster and I'm seeing incremental increases on early territories. In the last phase Anakin absolutely rips through me, but I'm hopeful that as I better my roster and with the advent of G13 and Relics we could see some strides gained. Auto-ing everything is nice and all, but sometimes I get bored and want to play. I like the Geo TB. I have a long way to go as I focus on different things, but I think it's a nice add and the Geo LS I'm sure will be similar. As a reference point I've been playing for I don't know 4-5 years, have 4 Million GP (not super great, but servcieable), no G13 yet, but I'm focusing on other things (possibly I'm making a bad strategy, but having some fun) and I am far far far from CG apologist. I'm happy to take them to task on anything, but I think this one they got right.

Also deadpool is still jealous.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Travesty wrote: »
    Do either of you have something to contribute to the actual issue, or is this just another topic to derail for you?

I prefer to derail pointless posts. Buy since you asked I'll explain why.

Your title says "CG: Define "fun"". Then in your very first sentence you say "fun is different for everyone..."

You clearly leave yourself an opening to disagree with however they decided to define fun. If you are going into a conversation with mindset of disagreeing then the conversation is pointless. Hence why I like to derail and talk about items that are as pointless as your thread
  • I agree with one part of this. The randomness of what enemies you get makes it very difficult to plan for this. If each combat mission had a locked roster of enemies for each phase and allowed players to plan for exactly where to use their roster for best success it would greatly improve the play in TB.

I think that was OP main point. The randomness of enemies makes it difficult for us to plan how to use our roster for the greatest success. If I knew I was gonna face shaak ti I'd use a stronger team like DR, meanwhile if I knew I'd only face clones I might use Traya instead. Having a locked roster maintains the difficulty while taking the random element out so we can better plan.
  • DaPozzi808
    4 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Monel wrote: »
    Do either of you have something to contribute to the actual issue, or is this just another topic to derail for you?

Your title says "CG: Define "fun"". Then in your very first sentence you say "fun is different for everyone..."

You clearly leave yourself an opening to disagree with however they decided to define fun. If you are going into a conversation with mindset of disagreeing then the conversation is pointless. Hence why I like to derail and talk about items that are as pointless as your thread

So conversation with anybody who disagrees is pointless? Do you only communicate with people who agree with you? That seems like a cloistered way to have your opinion and tell everybody else they’re “pointless” That being shortsighted and very restrictive to the potential growth you may experience in your conversations.

Edited for grammar *
  • Monel wrote: »
    Wait, you "inb4"d your own post? You were the poster, everyone you said was "inb4". You are today's grand posting champion for thinking you could get in before you got in...

WUT.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Fixed final stage battles per territory would allow for better planning and points optimization. I don't see why this would be a bad thing, and I think it would create a much better experience for a lot of players.

On fleets, I just donate everything I can to platoons so someone else can worry about GK or Mace. It's painfully clear that the game has not caught up to this TB yet.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    DaPozzi808 wrote: »

So conversation with anybody who disagrees is pointless? Do you only communicate with people who agree with you? That seems like a cloistered way to have your opinion and tell everybody else they’re “pointless” That being shortsighted and very restrictive to the potential growth you may experience in your conversations.

Edited for grammar *

Not at all. But saying basically let me hear your side even though I will not agree with it is pointless. Hear the other side before expressing opinion is indeed what shows willingness to learn and understand.
  • With reference to fleet battles I find if I have HT it doesn’t matter which I get I win every time. If 2 battles then you need mace to drop for non HT battle or forget about it.
  • Fun: That which keeps the most players engaged with the game.

Engaged with the game: Spending money to get ahead.

Fun=money making
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • People just need to learn what the enemy characters do and use better strategies and keep improving their rosters.

This is NOT the case with the ship missions that draw GK as the enemy. With full G13 rosters and maxed ships I lost 2 ships before I got a turn. There is, literally, nothing else I can do. Not fun.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    People just need to learn what the enemy characters do and use better strategies and keep improving their rosters.

This is NOT the case with the ship missions that draw GK as the enemy. With full G13 rosters and maxed ships I lost 2 ships before I got a turn. There is, literally, nothing else I can do. Not fun.

As of tonight (tentatively), there will be something else you can do.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    edited September 2019

Edited for grammar *

Not at all. But saying basically let me hear your side even though I will not agree with it is pointless. Hear the other side before expressing opinion is indeed what shows willingness to learn and understand.

@Monel OP tagged CG so no one else can read the thread.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Edited for grammar *

Wait... does that make me CG? Now I know why people hate me lol.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Edited for grammar *

Wait... does that make me CG? Now I know why people hate me lol.

Nah, us shills love you!
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • People just need to learn what the enemy characters do and use better strategies and keep improving their rosters. Too many people are used to just auto'ing Hoth and think they can just button mash their way through TB. It's not intended to max everything in the first couple of months....we just got G13 and Relics are on their way....this TB is tuned to last for the long-term...not become an auto-fest right away.

What he just said he learned about strategy was that if RNG gives him the "wrong" enemy, he doesn't get a turn to even try and win. Where did he say anything about auto?
  • Fun for me is pressing simulate.

If I have to do battles I’d rather have some challenging aspect than having to Invest time in pressing auto.

I’d think they would allow lower tier Tb simulation if they could afford running one playable aspect at a time.
  • A wall break within a wall break. That’s like 16 wall breaks.

Z4z209W.gif
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png