vandor worth it without the zeta? basic is awful

early testing has me wondering if i made a mistake

Replies

• Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    He’s amazing with that zeta. His special is the only thing that hits very hard. He’s there for his special and unique. He’s worth it if you can fully invest on him
  • Vendi1983
    5018 posts Member
    He's there for the revive and his special. His basic is like a mosquito bite.

So yes, zeta necessary.
  • Fahrius
    620 posts Member
    i use him on 3v3 offense with ig88 lead and l3 to take out carth, juhani and canderous, for this case it isnt needed his zeta, l3 tanks like a champ and hardly takes enough damage to empty her protection
    if you want to run him in a qira lead, its pretty advisable to get his zeta, that revive can be a pita if your opponent don't go after him first
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    I actually use him non-zeta'd as filler on offense in GA, since he's easy to gear up to 11 and his special hits decently hard & grants protection up. But yeah, without the zeta he's a complete joke on defense.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Dryff
    672 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    He’s amazing with that zeta. His special is the only thing that hits very hard. He’s there for his special and unique. He’s worth it if you can fully invest on him

This. The smuggler team is awesome in GA and TW.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/792672567/characters/?f=Smuggler

@VonZant is the expert when it comes to all things Scoundrel :D
  • Special hits hard regardless. Great if you can keep the enemy from touching him. Needs the zeta to compete.
  • Andros
    42 posts Member
    need Zeta...no question.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    He NEEDS to be on a double tank team if you put him on D. On a double tank team with no zeta he is good. With a zeta he is great. He best when paired with L3 for cleanse but works on D with Clone Chewie and storm Han.

Until about a week ago I ran Qira Vandor L3 Han Chewie in Arena and held top 75-125 in a sea of Revan. So can work on offense. He revived people 5+ times many many times in one battle.

I had him about 3 6e health mods and with his bonus had about 85k health. His special can hit an attacker for 30k x 2. Not bad for a tank. Only use it as a finisher though because it removes his rez for a second.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Also, in 3v3 he's got the highest defends record on my board with cwc and l3, cuz it's just so tanky.
    But his special deals damage based on health, not offense, so don't worry about adding offense at all, just keep him alive.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    If you invested in Vandor and didn't zeta him, that would be a mistake. He's a support hero through and through, and the zeta makes his kit. He's nearly useless without it.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • VonZant wrote: »
    He NEEDS to be on a double tank team if you put him on D. On a double tank team with no zeta he is good. With a zeta he is great. He best when paired with L3 for cleanse but works on D with Clone Chewie and storm Han.

Until about a week ago I ran Qira Vandor L3 Han Chewie in Arena and held top 75-125 in a sea of Revan. So can work on offense. He revived people 5+ times many many times in one battle.

I had him about 3 6e health mods and with his bonus had about 85k health. His special can hit an attacker for 30k x 2. Not bad for a tank. Only use it as a finisher though because it removes his rez for a second.

@VonZant Sorry to recro this but im running scoundrels on defense and have a couple of questions for ya ;)

i'm only at 1.4gp so can get away with a little bit. i'm running qira nest l3 in 3 versus 3 and it's holding well. For 5 versus 5 gonna try adding storm han and lando, ill add vander later. using solo and chewy under cls on offense for nowbut i definitely like them on defense under her also. For l3, how did u mod her, i have crit avoidance on arrow and 2x on triangle and seems to be working well. On that note, i'm hoping to add zaalbar soon for second tank and thinking of mo dding him the same way , both have natural krit avoidance and can get close to 100%. tia, cheers
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    L3 would be best with speed arrow until team is well geared. She gains a lot of TM but you want her taunting constantly. Crit avoidance with high speed would work too. Also give her health mods with protection secondaries. With Qira lead, She may die early but after rez or After she starts countering, she is almost unkillable because her stacking health. I had CLS hit her when she was in 2 red bars and not kill her before. Couple that with cleanse and heal and I think she is one of the best tanks in the game.

@VonZant hope not bugging you too much on this, just 1 more quick question hopefully. so with no zeta, can work well together with storm han and cwchewy. with zeta, just l 3 is OK? and furthermore, let's say no solo or chewy, instead young han and nest in 5 versus 5 defense. thx again for the help!!!
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    He is awesome on a team with Clone Chewie lead, Storm Han + 2 attackers. Young Han and Nest, Both Vets, even both Lando. I prefer the Vets but up to you. As long as he is with 2 scoundrel tanks, he is baller, even at 3* and no zeta. Obviously higher is better and his zeta is just awesome.

Clone Chewie lead grants passive defense and paddive defense up buff on damage, which starts Vandors protection engine. Also all enemies get -20% offense from Vandor. With essentially 3 defensive buffs and protection regen, the team is very durable. The vets Also apply AOE speed down and Ability block. Its a frustrating team to face. It can be beaten but requires a real team of equal or higher gear. Without L3 lacks a cleanse though.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Actually thinking about it now: when I came up with the team I didnt have Vandor zeta or Han and Chewie. CWC L3 Vandor Han and Chewie might be godlike on D and able to beat all but the top teams. My CWC is only g8 though.
    He is awesome on a team with Clone Chewie lead, Storm Han + 2 attackers. Young Han and Nest, Both Vets, even both Lando. I prefer the Vets but up to you. As long as he is with 2 scoundrel tanks, he is baller, even at 3* and no zeta. Obviously higher is better and his zeta is just awesome.

Clone Chewie lead grants passive defense and paddive defense up buff on damage, which starts Vandors protection engine. Also all enemies get -20% offense from Vandor. With essentially 3 defensive buffs and protection regen, the team is very durable. The vets Also apply AOE speed down and Ability block. Its a frustrating team to face. It can be beaten but requires a real team of equal or higher gear. Without L3 lacks a cleanse though.

@VonZant that is awesome news you made my day thanks man :smiley:
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    Wow I’m glad this got brought up again. That was a lot of good info just there. Thanks ! Vonzant
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Just to be clear, Vandor isnt as "stealth" as he used to be and people take him seriously now. So he is liable to getting 1 shot just like anyone else. But with a Clone Chewie lead and no zeta on Vandor people still scoff and try to beat it with cheap teams which will not work. You can google "Sermon of Vandor" for the old thread with some screenshots of how it performed in TW. Again its not as suprising anymore, but we have 2 guys running it still in back zones in TW and it still racks up numerous wins every time.

Really wish I had a g12 Clone Chewie to try out an upgraded team, but with all of the forced farms that project has fallen to the back burner.

Anyway, I have 3.5M GP and a Qira Vandor L3 (storm Han or Zaalbar) and (Nest or Young Han) has been the winner in Many GA for me. It can get 1 shot like anyone, but in many GA it its where the enemy stops. Its a good investment for a team and is not wasted.
  • jayjonbeach
    697 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    @VonZant Here we go recro again lol I just visited the Sermon of Vandor thread, nice.

You did eventually put the zeta on him yes? I have 1 zeta right now and am hesitating pulling the trigger on it.

I plan to run: Q'ira, L3, Zaalbar, Vandor, Nest on Defense in GAC in the back. Right now I have Lando in place of Vandor because he was not geared, and it gets taken out 1 battle usually (Nest not fully geared quite yet, neither are tanks). I worry that with Vandor in there with Zeta, he may not regain his full protection easily enough to make him prepared and make the zeta worth it. If attacking team has an AOE or 2 on team it could be enough to stop his prot from going back to full, not sure. I guess this is also a good argument for taking Nest out and sticking on Yolo so he has more chance to become prepared, though it might be a small one relying on AI. I am even contemplating gearing up CWC to lead this, or to stick in Padme team, wish they would touch him up though and give the poor sap some dmg output.

What say you? TIA
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    I personally think his zeta is worth it. Assuming the LSGTB allows you to use generic LS teams, usually Qira + Vandor is an Auto 5/5 on any pve node. May wait if you want and I'll tell you how it goes.

For GAC:

Qira is better lead for offense. CWC for defense. Vandor gets the defense up buff and then his engine starts.

So what I do now is use Qira + Nest on O for undersize wins.

On D I use CWC Vandor L3 + 2. It used to be Mission and Z, but since I have a full Carth team now I use YHan and either Young or Old Lando, or Captain Han. A maxed captain Han would be best but Young Lando does decent damage and if his AI plays right can stealth and cleanse Vandor.

Ive toyed with the idea of throwing Embo in the last spot. He wont get rezzed, but he gets protection regen, is hard to kill, has a dispel on basic and hits very very hard. @jayjonbeach
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Sorry - I Do use Clone Chewie on Padme too and even at G8 he can one shot people. Ive been putting Plo or QGJ to replace him recently so he can lead the Vandor team though.
    Sorry - I Do use Clone Chewie on Padme too and even at G8 he can one shot people. Ive been putting Plo or QGJ to replace him recently so he can lead the Vandor team though.

Yeah the courage deals out sick dmg, even CWC is deadly lol!

Thanks for the replies, I thought you might say CWC is better lead on D, I might just have to try it. I have been using Q'ira due to the protection regen (esp good for Nest, but for all too of course), and the crit avoidance she gives tanks. Both Zaal & L3 have some natural crit avoidance and I have that on arrow primary to boost their survivability, but maybe the CWC lead could do just as well or maybe better as you say if they are modded for it. My Nest is just now getting more viable for the undersized option on Offense so something to think about as well.

I wish Padme had another decent tank to use there, GK is best of course, but then you weaken JKR team (I am farming Juhani to use there, but still think GK is best). I am also using QGJ on Padme team, hopefully more GR options will come that are not needed elsewhere.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    I'm hoping KAM and/or mace might be options. But if KAMs kit is similar to his TB kit he looks like may have some counter/debuff synergy so maybe intended for a different team.
  • @VonZant Just reporting back, finally geared and zetad Vandor. Should have done it LONG ago, dam!

So I totally missed/underestimated a REALLY important point that I don't think was really mentioned, and definitely was not stressed, and yet to me it seems to have the biggest impact of all (well less a revive I guess), the prot regen. WOW. This is HUGE

Now I know what was going on in that sermon of vandor thread with u and others, the protection regen he gives the whole team is CRAZY good, even better under Q'ira too where crits give team same effect so its like almost constant protection regeneration. Then add in the zeta, and dam yeah ur right even at G11 that special hits nice and hard.

Thanks again bro. I actually did a bunch of GW sand box testing and then stuck them in my GAC front line this time instead of in back just to have them tested. I also tried the CWC lead in GW, also seems good now you have 3 tanks protecting Nest & Vandor, not as much prot regen but extra defense and an extra taunt. I only have CWC G7 for now though, gonna run him on the Padme team for now.

Cheers
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Well good luck with it. Like I said the team is not as threatening as it used to be but if people dont know it they will lose. Or it will take so long to kill the team that you will wear them down and they wont get max banners. Sith, generally, are bad for it, but everyone has a weakness. I'm hoping that the team is still going to be pro in LS GTB so you should get your investment out of it. The Solo crew never got a legendary or other payoff, so I hope they let them keep shining in pve and dont have a targeted anti-ability in the new TB. Here is from our recent TW.

ofjwev0gb69q.png

I'm curious how it will do in the 1.4M GP range. Should be a lot fewer viable counters.
    Post edited by VonZant on
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    1.4 mill range will be almost unkillable I’d bet. It’ll be a great tactic for ga for a while
  • Unless they have the Fetts with zJango
  • @VonZant Just reporting back with some results, Vandor is the bomb for this team. 3 of my last GAC wins were because I hid SC in the back, and they held multiple times.

What I TOTALLY missed/underestimated about Vandor, is the prot regen, holy hell, nvm the zeta which is great, but WOW the prot regen esp combined under the Q'ira lead is HUGE! I did a bunch of testing in GW and was just amazed, I also have 2x on Zaal & L3 to help them heal, and so many times the team ends with full health/prot, and the same thing is happening in GAC!

Q'ira, Nest, L3, Zaal, Vandor FTW. Crit avoid and 2x on the tanks I think helps, and Zaal is only G9 for now, L3 is G10 lol. I'm top 50 all the way in GAC, and 1st in Guild & Allies, undefeated, one last battle to go, a tough one against both Revans where I have only 1.

I do think they are better served hiding in the back, so hopefully they have burned through answers for this team, so far so good :) Cheers