Relics – The tale of a Kraken

1234568Next

Replies

• Seems every new release Krakens quit. Go F2P I say. I did and I still enjoy the game.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Seems every new release Krakens quit. Go F2P I say. I did and I still enjoy the game.

#freetoplayistheonlyway never spent a dime on this game, never will.
  • Seems every new release Krakens quit. Go F2P I say. I did and I still enjoy the game.

I find it interesting that some people take such pride in never financially supporting a game they have played for years. I fully understand not giving into CG/EA's ploys to induce "panic spending", but I think of the occasional gear pack purchase here or there as a "thank you" for creating a game that I play regularly. I'm no whale or even a dolphin - I've probably spent less than $100 in my 3+ year time playing. But I have spent money when I thought the game was moving in the right direction and I was enjoying things. Now, to be fair and honest, I haven't spent in the past 2 years, because I'm not liking the direction the game was headed. But with some new leadership, I am cautiously curious - and I have opened my wallet just to see how much is in there...
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Seems every new release Krakens quit. Go F2P I say. I did and I still enjoy the game.

I find it interesting that some people take such pride in never financially supporting a game they have played for years. I fully understand not giving into CG/EA's ploys to induce "panic spending", but I think of the occasional gear pack purchase here or there as a "thank you" for creating a game that I play regularly. I'm no whale or even a dolphin - I've probably spent less than $100 in my 3+ year time playing. But I have spent money when I thought the game was moving in the right direction and I was enjoying things. Now, to be fair and honest, I haven't spent in the past 2 years, because I'm not liking the direction the game was headed. But with some new leadership, I am cautiously curious - and I have opened my wallet just to see how much is in there...

You do have a point, but for me personally I just like the challenge of being f2p. Where's the fun if you can buy your way to the top? Where's the fun if you get everything day 1? I like working on my teams, slowly but steadily, so I can see progression over time and am happy when I work hard towards a goal and then achieve it (be it a specific team or some high score in an event or whatever). It feels great to be able to achieve things f2p that other people pay for. I wouldn't buy the relic packs (or any packs for that matter) even if they sold them for 1 cent. For me it's f2p or nothing. And that's not because I can't afford it. I could easily afford dropping a couple of hundreds on the game every month but I just chose not to. Also, I don't really see it as "supporting the game". They swim in money so it's not like they need to live from paycheck to paycheck.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm VERY certain, that at least 95% of the playersbase don't spend money on the game because they want to "support the game" but only to simply get an advantage or to progress faster, and supporting the game is just a side effect. I doubt anyone would spend on the game if you didn't get anything from it. Who I like to support are indie-programmers for example, who don't swim in millions but try to create a great new game. They only have small teams and not many ressources to work with so I'd happily support them if I like what they're doing, simply because I know how much it will help them out. I also like to support streamers or other content creators who don't have a big viewership because it's a great way to get them started. I absolutely gain no material advantage from it like crystals or gear in the case of SWGOH but simply get to enjoy the streamer's content. The only thing that spending on EA does is making it possible for the devs to buy another yacht for their team.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    It's one thing to enjoy the challenge of being f2p, it's another to loudly proclaim repeatedly that it's the only way to play.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    I have said a few times before when they do something that this game will die soon. I was always wrong. It may well be the case again.

I will say that the prices are outrageous for the lack of content we have for this game though. I enjoy it, but I think the dev team is just way too small for this game. I am waiting to see how this game plays out before I decide on whether I am quitting, but I agree that the relics really screw up the balance, are added too close to gear 13, and level 7 is like throwing on 3 or 4 extra gear levels on some characters. I have also seen a few big spenders quit with the release of relics.
  • TVF wrote: »
    It's one thing to enjoy the challenge of being f2p, it's another to loudly proclaim repeatedly that it's the only way to play.

Indeed. I personally decided for myself to go the f2p route but I don't mind and don't care if others spend. Everyone can play the game the way they want to. If someone enjoys f2p, let them do so, and if someone likes to spend they should be able to do so as well. I'm only able to play the game because other people spend, so I'm grateful for that. I'd never ask or force someone to go f2p just because I am f2p. I do it for myself because of my principles and I know that many others don't think the same way, which is perfectly fine. Everyone should be able to play the way they think is best for themselves, and there is no "right" way, so I agree that people should stop proclaiming their way to be the right/only way.
  • The OP is right about virtually everything he said. The money grabbing is at another level releasing relics this quickly after G13. But I think what exacerbates it for me is the lack of content. I don’t have much to do with my toons each day. You are typically using the same five toons in arena al the time. TW and GA attack phases aren’t happening every day. TB is, well, it is re-skinned old TB with a million HP and 1,000 percent Tenacity on every toon. The raids are stale. The daily events are often either just simmable or so easy that you just hit auto. I find myself playing events like the NS alter yesterday with teams I think are fun and playing through even though I could hit auto just because there is nothing else to do. We need something new to do with our toons. CG seems to think the game is about grinding gear and relics (or buying them! Even better!) to make your toons stronger. But if we don’t have fun things to do with those toons, it is hard to see the point. Maybe I’m just bitter because I don’t love TB and don’t find the new one that interesting. But I really just need some opportunities to use my fun teams more often.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

Spend is cool,but not if they mock you in the face,sry i dont know how to Express it well in english,but if they had some nice packs of 10 euros,ppl would spend,not 100 euro deals lol.There is a reason its called microtransactions,but cg went to the next level with the blatant Cash grab,so its a no for me.

For ppl that are unemployed for long time,f2p is only way to go,but like i said some cool deals of 10 euros might be good,like that even if i wanted,i cant spend at all.In some other mobiles i seen they even have some 1 euro purchases to be made.
  • Honestly, the one thing that could have saved this Relic implementation was to mitigate the damage buffs, and severely buff the protection/health/tenacity. Increasing survivability diminishes the effects of speed on the round while the massive buff they ended up with in mostly offensive capability, just exacerbated the "glass cannon" mentality assigned to most of the meta toons in the game. Now the cannons have just gotten more glass and whoever can fire off their payload first wins in seconds.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Exletion wrote: »
    Honestly, the one thing that could have saved this Relic implementation was to mitigate the damage buffs, and severely buff the protection/health/tenacity. Increasing survivability diminishes the effects of speed on the round while the massive buff they ended up with in mostly offensive capability, just exacerbated the "glass cannon" mentality assigned to most of the meta toons in the game. Now the cannons have just gotten more glass and whoever can fire off their payload first wins in seconds.

Increasing survivability without increasing damage leads to everybody's favorite result, timeout teams!
  • Exletion wrote: »
    Honestly, the one thing that could have saved this Relic implementation was to mitigate the damage buffs, and severely buff the protection/health/tenacity. Increasing survivability diminishes the effects of speed on the round while the massive buff they ended up with in mostly offensive capability, just exacerbated the "glass cannon" mentality assigned to most of the meta toons in the game. Now the cannons have just gotten more glass and whoever can fire off their payload first wins in seconds.

Massively increasing protection without increasing damage would have the unintended consequence of making arena battles drag on, possibly to the point of timing out.

I'm not saying they need to be over in 10 seconds but I do enjoy the darth revan meta more than the jkr meta if only for the fact that timing out isn't an issue.

Neither massive protection or massive damage negate speed anyway. They both do until, both parties have fully maxed toons. Then, speed is still the deciding factor. The only difference is the length of the battles. If both teams are realitivly tanky and have low dmg, time outs become a problem.
  • tompowers85
    1 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    I quit the game last week after playing for over 2 years. I was having fun and the relics took all the fun out of the game.
  • Wow...if you've read all the way through to here its worth it for the various point of views.

Relics....(sigh)….

when OP meta changing toons/ships/Mods/Gear13, etc. are rapidly...RAPIDLY introduced to the game, F2P gets a little frustrated b/c the finish line gets moved that much further away.

(CG does this by design of course, we all know that its one cash grab after another...those that work on the game have bills to pay...and profits to make)

but when the Whales - and Krakens - start to complain b/c of a cash grab overreach...i.e. Relics;

when the big BIG spenders realize that the VALUE of the hundreds and thousands and tens of thousands spent on chasing one meta after another is suddenly and greatly diminished with the simple introduction of something so Over-the-Top OP....

when the price tag associated with the resource packs needed for immediate upgrade of said Relics is so high...

that's when the game goes into shock, b/c the revenue stream of this for-profit entertainment platform starts to weaken. The spenders quit and stop spending.

(when the body goes into shock due to injury, if not treated, the symptoms of shock can actually kill you)

I wonder what the "treatment" for SWGOH will be from the "medics" at CG?