Thoughts On Disney & Sonys Split Up

Prev1
SemiGod
3001 posts Member
What are your guys' thoughts on this whole matter.

I personally think it sucks we arent going to be able to see Spider Man / Tom Holland in the MCU anymore.

Replies

• SemiGod wrote: »
    What are your guys' thoughts on this whole matter.

I personally think it sucks we arent going to be able to see Spider Man / Tom Holland in the MCU anymore.

It is going to make the future of the MCU more complicated. Spider-Man has become a bigger part of the universe. Last I read today, was that there may be a chance for them to work out a deal. But I think after Endgame, and the story line being unknown, I am not sure how things will go. I liked the MCU so far.
  • I personally think that both sides are just "playing the game" right now and trying to get public support in their favor to gather leverage for negotiations.

I can see why Sony doesn't want to accept Disney's terms, since they're wanting a HUGE percentage increase from their previous deal. At the same time, I can see why Disney wants an increase. Their inclusion of Spiderman in the MCU has exponentially increased that IP's value and he was likely going to turn into the face of the MCU in these next phases of movies, which would increase their value even more!

Hopefully they will come to a compromise, because as of now there are no winners here. The general consensus is that the MCU Spider-man is great and their young core of talent could carry the franchise for years to come. I'm sure no one wants to see Tom Holland's version go the way of Andrew Garfield's version.
  • Wolverine has to lead the avengers at some point! lol.

I think it is a combination of publicity and posturing.
  • willennium wrote: »

I can see why Sony doesn't want to accept Disney's terms, since they're wanting a HUGE percentage increase from their previous deal.

I can’t find exact numbers anywhere. I keep seeing people say that Disney wanted an increase from 5 to 50%, but that is incorrect. They wanted a co-finance 50/50 split, which means Disney would be paying half the expenses as well. They were currently getting 5% first dollar gross, which is something completely different, and includes no expenses paid from Disney.

Has anyone actually run a comparison to see what those numbers work out to on the previous films?
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    willennium wrote: »

I can see why Sony doesn't want to accept Disney's terms, since they're wanting a HUGE percentage increase from their previous deal.

I can’t find exact numbers anywhere. I keep seeing people say that Disney wanted an increase from 5 to 50%, but that is incorrect. They wanted a co-finance 50/50 split, which means Disney would be paying half the expenses as well. They were currently getting 5% first dollar gross, which is something completely different, and includes no expenses paid from Disney.

Has anyone actually run a comparison to see what those numbers work out to on the previous films?

Well I don't fully know the numbers but what I do know is that if spiderman wasnt in the MCU, the films don't make a lot of money.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    The way the MCU is going it doesnt even faze me. Think I am out.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt wrote: »

Honestly, I think this could be the turn towards the downward spiral. Endgame was really good. I don't know how they can top the infinity saga. I know the comic books are a treasure trove of plots, but are the executives going to fall into the same old rut of we established a golden calf, now how can we make more money? Personally, unless they can pull a magic rabbit out of a hat, or other unmentionable location(s), I think this is the perfect spot to stop. The fanboy in me wants more though. I think Ian Malcom sums it up perfectly, they were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    If Sony have regained the rights to Spider-Man, I am hopeful he will cross into the next Venom movie!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »

Honestly, I think this could be the turn towards the downward spiral. Endgame was really good. I don't know how they can top the infinity saga. I know the comic books are a treasure trove of plots, but are the executives going to fall into the same old rut of we established a golden calf, now how can we make more money? Personally, unless they can pull a magic rabbit out of a hat, or other unmentionable location(s), I think this is the perfect spot to stop. The fanboy in me wants more though. I think Ian Malcom sums it up perfectly, they were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

I couldn't agree more - I am personally done with the MCU. It ended perfectly with End Game. How can they go on to do more?
    Then you get a peak of what direction they are going in - all SJW with lady Thor. It failed in the comics going this route and it will fail on screen too.
    MCU is done.
  • Boo wrote: »

I couldn't agree more - I am personally done with the MCU. It ended perfectly with End Game. How can they go on to do more?
    Then you get a peak of what direction they are going in - all SJW with lady Thor. It failed in the comics going this route and it will fail on screen too.
    MCU is done.

SJW... okay... why can’t there just be a female Thor? I know that most Marvel representation is forced, but why can’t a new Thor be female?
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Nihion wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »

MCU is done.

SJW... okay... why can’t there just be a female Thor? I know that most Marvel representation is forced, but why can’t a new Thor be female?

Look at the mess of captain marvel.

She was good in the movie but turned horrible in Endgame.

Marvel directors will mess it up
  • Did they have a female Thor in the comics? That is what would make it "acceptable" to me. The main reason I am disappointed is because Spider-Man. Not saying the movies will die because he is excluded, but it makes things messy because Far From Home was setting up the web slinger for greatness.
  • Yes, there is a Lady Thor in the comics. She takes over when Thor can't do the job.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • APX_919 wrote: »
    Yes, there is a Lady Thor in the comics. She takes over when Thor can't do the job.

Thanks. I think my only issue is if it isn't in the comics, it shouldn't be in the movies. just my $.02.

MCU is done.

Then maybe they should hire some new directors.

The lack of female characters is apparent, and it’s only bringing them down.
  • Disney should stop making Marvel movies.
    Sony should stop making Spiderman movies,

There. That solves all problems, and maybe we can get some new original content, rather than the same thing rehashed every time with a different costume. I'm not paying for that.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Disney should stop making Marvel movies.
    Sony should stop making Spiderman movies,

There. That solves all problems, and maybe we can get some new original content, rather than the same thing rehashed every time with a different costume. I'm not paying for that.

Wdym? Endgame is literally the best movie of all time statistically.

MCU is done.

How was she "horrible in Endgame?" She was MIA for most of it because they made her too powerful since she has the power of the space stone. If she was there with them the whole time, it wouldn't have made sense to portray the battle as a fair fight. This is why she only fights Thanos after he gets the gauntlet and he's only able to fend her off after he uses the power stone.

Is this why you're saying she's horrible in Endgame?
  • TVF wrote: »
    Is there a way to unread this thread?

There's a way, but it involves blood sacrifice.
  • Alright lets leave it out with the "Captain Marvel was bad because feminism" comments, it's pretty bad faith discussion and it historically doesn't go well.
  • I think that Sony and Disney can come to an agreement, it would be what a majority of fans want.
  • No_Try wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Is there a way to unread this thread?

There's a way, but it involves blood sacrifice.

Same I wanna delete this
  • I think that Sony and Disney can come to an agreement, it would be what a majority of fans want.

I hope so. I'm sure the actors would rather stay incorporated with the MCU... especially since they already have established relationships with other MCU characters. It would be kind of jarring to abruptly cut all existing ties. Also, they seem to have great chemistry with each other (on and off screen).

Also, Sony will probably drop the ball again with the IP if they try on their own... Though it would be kind of cool to see if they do something worthwhile by tying in Venom.
  • willennium wrote: »
    I think that Sony and Disney can come to an agreement, it would be what a majority of fans want.

I hope so. I'm sure the actors would rather stay incorporated with the MCU... especially since they already have established relationships with other MCU characters. It would be kind of jarring to abruptly cut all existing ties. Also, they seem to have great chemistry with each other (on and off screen).

Also, Sony will probably drop the ball again with the IP if they try on their own... Though it would be kind of cool to see if they do something worthwhile by tying in Venom.

I have yet to see venom, just remember that the first spider-man and the reboot were ok, just not as amazing as the MCU version. If they do continue with the MCU, and don't have Spidey the set up for the future is blown. Between Endgame and Far From Home, he became the new Tony.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    APX_919 wrote: »
    Yes, there is a Lady Thor in the comics. She takes over when Thor can't do the job.

Thanks. I think my only issue is if it isn't in the comics, it shouldn't be in the movies. just my $.02.

The comics went all woke/pc when they added Lady Thor, as well as a POC female Iron Man - it went on and on and the comic sales suffered bad.

Marvel's president of sales had to come out and say they went to far and were doing a course correction - if it made the comics fail, why put it into the movies?

That's just bad all round.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    SemiGod wrote: »

MCU is done.

How was she "horrible in Endgame?" She was MIA for most of it because they made her too powerful since she has the power of the space stone. If she was there with them the whole time, it wouldn't have made sense to portray the battle as a fair fight. This is why she only fights Thanos after he gets the gauntlet and he's only able to fend her off after he uses the power stone.

The fact that the directors made her character MIA through most of Endgame shows that she was too powerful of a character to write well into that movie and not take away from the other Avengers - the directors just publicly announced that:

https://www.nme.com/news/film/avengers-endgame-directors-explain-why-captain-marvel-didnt-have-bigger-part-in-the-movie-2488857
  • Boo wrote: »
    SemiGod wrote: »

MCU is done.

The fact that the directors made her character MIA through most of Endgame shows that she was too powerful of a character to write well into that movie and not take away from the other Avengers - the directors just publicly announced that:

https://www.nme.com/news/film/avengers-endgame-directors-explain-why-captain-marvel-didnt-have-bigger-part-in-the-movie-2488857

I literally just said that in my reply that she was left out because she was too powerful. It's literally the same as what they did with Superman in the Justice League movie. They couldn't have him there the whole time otherwise the villain wouldn't have stood a chance at all, so they made an awkward sub-plot that rationalized him being MIA for the majority of the confrontation.

I can't support any critique that stems from "feminism is ruining X thing" or "diversity is bad" or "they did this to be PC and it made it bad". If the final product is bad, I'll give it fair criticism based on my opinion if it's bad or good. I'm not going in there with a preconception that "oh they casted this person or changed this to appeal to PoC/women/LBGTQ, so it's automatically terrible". If the final product is bad, I'm not going to throw fake praise at it due to diversity or whatever, but I'm not going to automatically think it's bad because some people on a certain part of the socio-political spectrum try to tell people that being PC/diverse/etc.. equals bad.

• Back on topic:

Looks like Disney and Sony worked things out. Spidey is back in MCU!