The Galaxy of Heroes Developer Tracker [MEGA]

Prev13
TyloRen
381 posts Moderator
edited October 2019
DEV POST
CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
Hi Holotable Heroes,

In the State of the Galaxy today we talked about launching a Dev Tracker for Galaxy of Heroes. Ultimately, we believe we need a better way to more regularly communicate the status of issues. Long known issues posts on the forums can be hard to digest and maintain. To solve this, we reviewed a ton of different solutions, including working with several teams inside of EA. We landed on a dedicated Dev Tracker Trello board. For those of you unfamiliar with Trello or a Dev Tracker:
  • Trello is a task tracking and organizing software
  • There are individual cards for each issue where you can get more info
  • Open to everyone
w5lj4CM.png

The Galaxy of Heroes Developer Tracker will contain the top issues and let players know a general status. It won’t be an exhaustive list of every single issue, but should capture the most common and biggest bugs for community. I will be updating the tracker approximately once a week after syncing with the team. (If you are curious why mine looks cooler than your it’s because of colorblind mode)
qzIaWTQ.png

If your issue is not here, head over to Answers HQ. This is the best place to get your issue in front of us and reviewed.

How to reference the Dev Tracker:
  • First column provides a quick reference for status definitions and types of update
  • Second column is Update notes if you want to check which issues were addressed recently.
  • Several columns of bug categories
  • Recently Resolved - Issues from the last couple weeks that have been fixed.
  • Last column is links to major news like State of the Galaxy or Road Ahead, Dev Q&As, etc

You can gather the status of a bug at a glance but if you want to get into the nitty gritty you can dive into each card to get a better idea of when a fix might occur.

w5lj4CM.png

Status Definitions
  • Backlog - Aware of this issue, but not actively working on it.
  • Investigating - We are looking into this issue, gathering further information and determining the scope of work.
  • In Progress - We are working on it and the fix is in progress, but not yet complete.
  • Ready to Release - The fix is complete, and we will be deployed at the next possible opportunity. This depends on the type of release required
  • Released - Fix has been deployed and available to players.

Definitions of Update Types
Certain fixes require a particular release and this can help you roughly determine when this fix may happen. Server fixes are the quickest as they usually happen weekly but unfortunately not all things can be fixed by only changing server data.

Sometimes the change requires us to change content that is on your device like adding a character model or art for a new pack. This means we have to change data that is on your phone and will require a Content update.

Finally, Client Updates are the biggest kind of release but they allow us to change and fix the most kinds of game data. This is typically a big title update like Mods 2.0 or Relics which modifies a large amount of client, and server data. These also usually need approval from platform as they require you to download a new version from your app store.

Server - (Approx Once Per Week)
This change requires a Server Update
  • No need to download an updated client from app store
  • Potentially requires reboot of game client

Content - (Approx Once Every Three Weeks)
This change requires a Content Update
  • No need to download an updated client from app store
  • Download new data to your local device
  • Potentially requires a reboot of the game client and an update to local gamedata

Client - (Approx Once Per Quarter)
This change requires a Client Update
  • Need to download an updated client from app store
  • Download new data to your local device
  • Typical release occurs with a rolling optional release over approximately 24 hours followed by a forced release

The column on the left has all this info in case you forget.
otsUAU4.png

Link to Dev Tracker

I’d love to hear your feedback on what’s useful or could be changed. Head over to the megathread and leave your thoughts
DEV POST
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• TVF
    36518 posts Member
    This is fantastic. But can we get a permalink to this from the forums somewhere, rather than just here in a mega thread and in the corresponding dev thread?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nice little blue "Dev Tracker" hyperlink would be a sweet deal.
  • Thats a good point, let me see where I can best link it!
  • Very nice!
  • Added link for Dev Tracker to the front page:
    z7isssv4t77s.png
  • Looks like JIRA to me.....
  • DarthMarr wrote: »
    It's good to see the devs have time for stuff like this, but nit actual content for their game.

First one of many comments like this. Nothing pleases people like you geez. "The Devs" such a general and ignorant term.
  • DarthMarr wrote: »
    It's good to see the devs have time for stuff like this, but nit actual content for their game.
    Couldn’t have said it better myself.
    More new useless stuff and nothing new to actually play in the game

• Potato211
    473 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    DarthMarr wrote: »
    Potato211 wrote: »

First one of many comments like this. Nothing pleases people like you geez. "The Devs" such a general and ignorant term.

It is. Because they ignore us too. I don't play this game for talks and application and forum posts. I want to play the game for its content; which is lacking.

What do you expect them to produce? Fornite levels of content? pumping new stuff week after week which is absolute garbage? Content takes time to make. They probably are full with Geonosis or giving the final touches to it who knows. Again, the Dev Tracker was not set up by the same guy that say, makes the charachter or codes the game so childlish attitude is totally misguided.
  • Prismo
    5 posts Member
    edited September 2019

It is. Because they ignore us too. I don't play this game for talks and application and forum posts. I want to play the game for its content; which is lacking.

What do you expect them to produce? Fornite levels of content? pumping new stuff week after week which is absolute garbage? Content takes time to make. They probably are full with Geonosis or giving the final touches to it who knows. Again, the Dev Tracker was not set up by the same guy that say, makes the charachter or codes the game so childlish attitude is totally misguided.

No I just want something other then simming the same stuff everyday. I can complete my daily's within 5 min of being on and then there is nothing to do. Hardly ever any events and all of those are so out dated I can click auto with a B rated team.
    They are full with Geonosis?? Are you kidding me? Its just a re-skinned event of a re-skinned event. Nothing new about it. They slapped on 1000% tenacity and gave everyone 1,000,000 health. (I bet even that took forever for them to do.)

• Prismo wrote: »

No I just want something other then simming the same stuff everyday. I can complete my daily's within 5 min of being on and then there is nothing to do. Hardly ever any events and all of those are so out dated I can click auto with a B rated team.

Honestly i do the same thing but i don't start **** and moaning about it in a thread that is not related about it at all. Like you people sound like broken machines at this point. Make a megathread and go complain there.
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I track several games (Subnautica: Below Zero for one) through this. This is a very positive step. Much appreciated
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Heads up @TyloRen - The URL linked in the Dev Tracker Trello board link is for the Apex board instead of the SWGOH board.
  • TyloRen
    381 posts Moderator
    Thanks for the heads up @Kratorn !
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    Btw there shouldn't be a dev tracker, if they would focus their efforts if realising finished products, tested.
    We pay them, but still we are who test their game, and then we ate whi waits after them.to polish it. Because we pay for them

Interesting thought. I wonder how much money this costs and what we give up for it as they have said that making content costs money. If it’s between this and content, I choose content.
  • The dev tracker merely is impressive! I love it, but do we have to create an account? What's with the signup and login buttons?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The dev tracker merely is impressive! I love it, but do we have to create an account? What's with the signup and login buttons?

no you dont need to sign up. it is a "read only" site for our purposes.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Wow, very pleasantly surprised by this level of transparency into current game issues. Thanks!
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • nurm
    107 posts Member
    Great Idea. Thumbs Up!!
  • Great to be able to see what is happening.
    Nice.
  • @CG_SBCrumb just a feedback on the Trello board. It's a bit counter-intuitive to use board columns as type denominator as opposed to time/progress dimension.
    Have you thought about transposing that? Using columns for progress (backlog -> release) in typical Scrum/Kanban way and using tags/labels/colors to distinguish types of issues (ui, bugs, etc.).
  • This is a great feature, improved communication is a good thing. However, I would also appreciate it if the Developer Tracker would track the physical locations of the developers at all times as well. And if they are really serious about transparency, maybe it's time to talk about body cams.
  • Potato211 wrote: »

This is star wars. Should be one of the best developed games out with fresh content, new raids, and interesting pvp developments.
    Cg is either understaffed or putting all their energy into their next game. Have you seen pictures of their office? >10 people to share a multi million dollar a month work load. So yes, the devs are obviously working on several things each.
    You can't say for sure that the person coding characters/ events didn't have to take time out of their day to make this.
    No idea how you get to insult people without getting flagged though.
  • Potato211 wrote: »

This is star wars. Should be one of the best developed games out with fresh content, new raids, and interesting pvp developments.
    Cg is either understaffed or putting all their energy into their next game. Have you seen pictures of their office? >10 people to share a multi million dollar a month work load. So yes, the devs are obviously working on several things each.
    You can't say for sure that the person coding characters/ events didn't have to take time out of their day to make this.
    No idea how you get to insult people without getting flagged though.

Have you played many Star Wars games? Incomplete/buggy games are their specialty and always have been
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Where is the Developer Tracker window with new content? Lol