State of the Galaxy - October [MEGA]

Replies

• I engage, therefore I enjoy... :neutral:
  • Synaptic
    38 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Initially there was some negative reaction in the community, but overall our numbers are showing high and continued engagement with Relics. We’ve seen 31,814 characters go to Relic 7 and there are over 138,612 characters at Relic 4-6.

This seems incredibly disingenuous, implying that the dissatisfaction around relics was just a temporary fad and now everything is great because a number of characters are being upgraded. It, seemingly willfully, equates that engagment with broad acceptance and appreciation for relics. Never mind the fact that it's not exactly optional. Not only is that sort of intentionally obtuse communication misleading and disappointing, the numbers thrown out there as proof of all this "engagement" are borderline meaningless as we don't have other relevant numbers to put it into context.
    We’re starting our next round of ideation around the future of relics and are excited to share what we come up with (when it’s closer to ready!).

And this just seems utterly tone deaf to the reception that relics got. Sure, you want to start thinking about where you want to take the system eventually. But is that really the message you (meaning CG) thinks the community wants to hear right now, more relic levels coming?

Any communication is better than no communication, sure. But I am not super encouraged by this. I do look forward to LS Geo TB, though. So that's good that it's only a couple months out.
  • GraveTroll wrote: »
    Initially there was some negative reaction in the community, but overall our numbers are showing high and continued engagement with Relics.

Well no ****! They still suck but we're all forced to work towards them because it affects both arena and the Geo TB! 10 days of triple cantina refresh to get the materials for 1 R7 assuming you have the spare (sometimes critical) gear. But what lovely spin there.

Tell me community, how much you LOVE relics?

I really like them so far. My raid damage has greatly improved. Fleet is a blast with several relic pilots, as well as an interesting challenge thanks to players who already have Han and Chewie at r7. In squad, I'm able to beat more Malak teams than before with my JKR + Thrawn team. And I made it to kyber in the last GAC. I can't say I'm a fan of the additional grind and it wasn't an easy decision to throw more money at the game than I had planned for this month, but I sure love the outcome.
  • Liklik113 wrote: »
    Cg your boring us to death. Nothing new and no sandbox mode coz your delusional response is no one wil be interested in trying out their teams in intra guild battles. Get ready for more people quitting and keep listening to the minority who are clapping their hands because we get contraband cargo every 2 days.

Do you want less Contraband Cargo? Because this is how we get less Contraband Cargo (and nothing to make up for it).
  • It’s always good to communicate and listen to the community but the 31814 characters that are relic7 can also mean that it’s less than 1000 people or 2000 that have the entire roster relic7.
  • The attitude of the community toward Relics is still negative—it hasn’t changed from initially. You’re seeing high engagement with it because you left us no choice (as you intended). You made all of our G12 and G13 toons completely irrelevant.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • I’ve said forever that CG is better off simply not communicating, because statements like this just make things worse. I’d say I’m amazed that this was approved for publish, but it’s pretty par for the course anymore.

If we accept the fact that they had to extend the grind, I actually think relics are terrific. It’s much superior to another gear level. But extending the grind is always going to have a huge negative reaction from everyone who isn’t done farming what they want, which is the vast majority. CG just needs to suck it up and absorb that negative reaction. It’s just part of this gaming model. To throw out unwanted content, and then tell us we are enjoying it is just mind boggling.

I’d say most players just want 2 types of communication. Plans to address problems in the game and hints at upcoming content. If it doesn’t fall under 1 of those 2 things then it probably isn’t worth saying.
  • "CG_TopHat wrote: »
    Follow Up - Relics
    We’re starting our next round of ideation around the future of relics and are excited to share what we come up with (when it’s closer to ready!).

I can't be the only one concern about this statement....
  • Sewperbad
    56 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    Gair wrote: »
    Honestly felt like this wasn't necessary to even post. Better to just wait a week for all the stuff you are "hiding"

Forums: "You don't communicate enough CG!"

CG: "Ok, here's what we're working on, looking at, and thinking about."

Forums: "I don't like your communication and wish you had said nothing."

What a weird group we are.

Communication is hollow when it wastes people’s time. This basically told us to F off on relics they know best were just the dumb consumers and that they’re basically not doing anything the community is asking for. How bout just type, hey dummies were enjoying the money you continue to spend on the game, keep doing that while we give you nothing to look forward to, cheers! We’ll see ya later this week with a bunch of cherry picked questions we’ll answer with even more tough questions we’ll dodge all together.

Post edited by Sewperbad on
  • TCS
    34 posts Member
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    I don’t qualify a reskin of an existing mode as new content. A new raid, a ship raid, a MSF Fear the darkness type mode, endless mode, and inter-guild battles would be new content, not a reskin.

I get that, but the Geo TB was new content and I'd say LS and DS Hoth are similar but fairly different modes. Different teams, strategies, etc. I wouldn't perceive this as a reskin simply because you can't use the same characters/ships so it forces different strategies.

All that stuff you suggested would be great, btw. And I think most people would be happy to see more conceptually different content. But it is really difficult for them to integrate all new modes into a game that has a fair bit of bugs and no subscription/guaranteed money to rely on. New content doesn't drive player investment on a large enough scale to have them focus the necessary time to develop, test, balance, and release. But Relics were a perfect add for them: limited asset creation/art design (compared to a raid, TB, etc), no new toons, very few Cantina changes, but also extends the power curve and gives players something to acquire (through farming or spending).

For a dev, the goal is to create as much revenue as possible with as little asset investment (re: Dev/Concepting time) as possible. Because this frees up the team to work on more and more things, including QoL/bug fixes, and further content releases. Love it or hate it, but releases like this and marquees/Malak-style events fuel the entire game. SWGOH would not exist without additions that people could spend on.
  • Nothingface
    651 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    State of the Galaxy: COMPLETE BOREDOM
    "CG_TopHat wrote: »
    Follow Up - Relics

I can't be the only one concern about this statement....

No follow up indication about easier low level gear but at least we get as other grind.
  • TyloRen wrote: »
    DEV POST
    CG_TopHat wrote: »
    Hello Holotable Heroes,

It’s that time again - State of the Galaxy! As we are writing this State of the Galaxy, we’re recognizing that these may not look the same every time. Last time we spoke mostly about our intent and this one is mostly a check in - although we do have some new things to report. Let’s dive in.

Follow Up - GAC
    We’re making progress on getting the next Championship (and our first, lightly themed one) pulled together. Our first themed championship will focus on the First Order and you’ll see First Order flavored feats, portraits, and titles. Start dusting off your First Order characters and get ready for the Championship after October’s Championship.

Update - Cheating
    We’ve been working with our engineering team and SWGOH.GG on how we can best get the battle history over to them. During our investigation we’ve surfaced some interesting cases we need to resolve before going live with the information. The two most pressing issues we’ve needed to resolve are a) when is the information surfaced and b) who can see it. We’ve solicited feedback from our beta players and we’re making progress. Our hope is to be able to roll something out soon, but we’re still working through some issues. Stay tuned.

Follow Up - Relics
    We’ve been monitoring the rollout of Relics carefully and we haven’t seen any major technical issues. Initially there was some negative reaction in the community, but overall our numbers are showing high and continued engagement with Relics. We’ve seen 31,814 characters go to Relic 7 and there are over 138,612 characters at Relic 4-6. The tools we use to monitor the meta are also showing some pretty big shakeups. We’re starting our next round of ideation around the future of relics and are excited to share what we come up with (when it’s closer to ready!).

Update - Territory Battle
    Prepare your collections! Light Side Territory Battle Geonosis is coming in November. We’ve got a whole host of new enemies and allies. Are you prepared to battle the Nexu and the Reek? Can you lead the Galactic Republic forces to victory? Prepare your squads for the next Territory Battle.

Visual Lag
    We’ve gotten a number of bugs and issues about some “visual lag” as players are moving through different UI screens and just generally “lagginess” in the game. We’re very aware of the issue and are working fast to resolve it. We’re going to be releasing an updated client to specifically deal with these issues next week. As a result of this issue (and other ongoing issues) we’re going to be releasing a...

...Dev Tracker
    Today we’re going to be unveiling a dev tracker to communicate more with you about what we’re currently working on. We’ve spoken with our friends over at Apex Legends about theirs and built our own in a similar style. We’ll be unveiling later today and we’ll have more to say about what will be showing up on it then. Be on the lookout.

We just sent out the questionnaire for next month’s Q&A. We’ve been getting some really great questions and we’ve enjoyed answering them. November is likely going to be a Road Ahead post. We’re going to be talking about a feature we’ve been working on for new players that we think will make the new game experience something that can be better navigated. Until next time…

See you on the holotables.

CG_TopHat

DEV POST

@CG_TopHat look I think you need to seriously reevaluate how you’re checking out relics. You have 31,814 characters rolled to R7 right? Let’s do some speculative math. You have roughly 4-5 characters worth rolling to that point, they are: Grievous, Malak, Darth Revan, Bastila Shan Fallen and JKA. I’m sure others see more prominent uses like with their clones but for maths sake let’s just stick with 5. That means you have 6,362 players rolling. That’s your krakens and whales. That’s it. Are you kidding me? You’re also saying 138,612 sitting between 4-6. I’m betting the majority are at 4 because past that you need massive farming or spending some cash to over come it given your current exchange rates.

Relics are still a negative on this game but they’re forced on us and are necessary to keep up in Squad and fleet arena. That’s the only reason why. Someone earlier said that we also pay our taxes but that doesn’t mean we like them. We have to do it. Same with relics.

If you guys think the best course is to add MORE levels to relics, you’re even more out of touch with the player base than we all thought. Stop adding more character progression grinds and provide relief to older ones first. There’s no reason players are struggling to still collect gear such as guns, cuffs, carbs etc to go along with farming kyrotech and now relic salvage. Stop it.

You wanna know what the player base wants? Relief from old gear bottlenecks. Lightside GEOTB with the matching character releases to go with it. A sandbox mode. Mythic events to old legendaries. New additions to old stores you deem to be “dead” and only for the shard shop.

Enough with piling on the gear bottlenecks and progression grinds. We’ve had enough

• CG_TopHat wrote: »
    Follow Up - Relics
    We’ve been monitoring the rollout of Relics carefully and we haven’t seen any major technical issues. Initially there was some negative reaction in the community, but overall our numbers are showing high and continued engagement with Relics. We’ve seen 31,814 characters go to Relic 7 and there are over 138,612 characters at Relic 4-6. The tools we use to monitor the meta are also showing some pretty big shakeups. We’re starting our next round of ideation around the future of relics and are excited to share what we come up with (when it’s closer to ready!).
    CG_TopHat

I never see so many people leave game before Relic.

You make you own at less 3M$ with Relic in a month.

In financial term : every thing is fine!

In reality : it's not because people buy something that they like it or they don't have regret after!

• The Trello thing seems brilliant. I hope they keep updating it and using it.
  • Krjstoff
    633 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    We’re making progress on getting the next Championship (and our first, lightly themed one) pulled together. Our first themed championship will focus on the First Order and you’ll see First Order flavored feats, portraits, and titles.

Excuse me ... did you learn NOTHING from Territory Wars!??!

So in a couple of months we are going to juggle themed GACs (most probably to force us to upgrade useless toons), and then when you finally understand that we don't want these flavoured things, you roll out "Vanilla GAC"?

• "We’ve seen 31,814 characters go to Relic 7 and there are over 138,612 characters at Relic 4-6."

Out of literally millions of players.

And this is the level of engagement that makes sense to go farther with it?

For the love of the force don't add more levels to it. If ye really must go further just add the abilities you proposed to relic 7 and stop there.

No further insanity.
    Just stop. If you must do something then fix ships. It was a mistake adding pilots and it should have been just ships. It's not too late to stop this relic thing before it spirals out of control and focus on something else.
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    TCS wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    I don’t qualify a reskin of an existing mode as new content. A new raid, a ship raid, a MSF Fear the darkness type mode, endless mode, and inter-guild battles would be new content, not a reskin.

I get that, but the Geo TB was new content and I'd say LS and DS Hoth are similar but fairly different modes. Different teams, strategies, etc. I wouldn't perceive this as a reskin simply because you can't use the same characters/ships so it forces different strategies.

All that stuff you suggested would be great, btw. And I think most people would be happy to see more conceptually different content. But it is really difficult for them to integrate all new modes into a game that has a fair bit of bugs and no subscription/guaranteed money to rely on. New content doesn't drive player investment on a large enough scale to have them focus the necessary time to develop, test, balance, and release. But Relics were a perfect add for them: limited asset creation/art design (compared to a raid, TB, etc), no new toons, very few Cantina changes, but also extends the power curve and gives players something to acquire (through farming or spending).

For a dev, the goal is to create as much revenue as possible with as little asset investment (re: Dev/Concepting time) as possible. Because this frees up the team to work on more and more things, including QoL/bug fixes, and further content releases. Love it or hate it, but releases like this and marquees/Malak-style events fuel the entire game. SWGOH would not exist without additions that people could spend on.

I agree, however, when long time paying players are leaving due to boredom...you have a content problem. Several in my guild and shard chat have left because of this.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Anecdotal evidence is the best evidence.

Especially when we heard the exact same evidence after STR was released.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

As the ever present CG apologist I know you have no choice, but I will point out that STR had to be fixed a couple times if I'm not mistaken.

In any case my issue with the Relics was that it didn't add another dimension to the game. It was just a power creep add on and I felt it was done in a lazy way. I mean why not just increase gear level or character level for the same effect. They had the mechanics to do it already in place without "creating" something new. I.e. just adding a pic on the screen. At least that's how it feels.

To be honest though I'm actually kind of excited about what they may be cooking up and if it's a unique ability that goes with each relic then I think that would be pretty cool. I mean whales will outpace the FTP (as it should always be on new content), but there would be so much potential to completely change the face of meta. Heck they could put a crazy new ability on UCP that could take down DR if they wanted. It could be a complete pivot. Now if it was a blanket generic feature handed down it all relics it may not be that exciting, but one that is thoughtful for each character could be cool. They could even release them in waves/batches so they can play around abit with how it affects the community. Just my opinion though.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    MntMan wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

I will point out that STR had to be fixed a couple times if I'm not mistaken.

It did. Irrelevant to the comparison though.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »

Exactly, which is why their numbers are shortsighted at best but as long as the whales and krakens keep paying and playing, they’ll keep doing what they want
  • Appreciate all the consistent communication! And yall got the calendar out And the "State of the Galaxy" before October even started! "Impressive..." Excited about LSTB Geonosis. It will be fun. Could yall please bring Jar Jar to the game? I mean, I know a lot of people pay money and are really competitive, but after all this is just a game. Can we have a little silliness too? I mean, after all, silly and wacky creatures are a part of the Star Wars Universe...
  • Bartek
    116 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    1. I wonder if new FO oriented GAC will take my FO units into consideration while matchmaking. I hope it will. Because not everybody have them maxed out.

2. Can't be more happy that you guys are actually doing something against cheating. Sharing the battle stats is something that we wanted for a long time. Very pleased about this. Cheaters to their doom!

3. Relics are not fun - but are necessity, so it's obvious that people keep upgrading. I'm finishing my second r7 character today. Only a second one! And i do triple refresh every day. Those Signal Data shut down my cantina farm for good for anything else. So how can i be happy about them.
    Post edited by Bartek on
  • Spang
    286 posts Member

Follow Up - Relics

I've heard insane amount of **** from my government, so I'm quite used to it, but this is on par with their worst.
    Though I'm glad that krakens and whales enjoy relics, so they keep paying for the game.

Btw are you sure that this was the best time to tell about the "next round of ideation around the future of relics"? I mean negative reactions are not over yet, but you already hint at the next paywall/grind.
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves.
  • Do NOT start the GAC without fixing the random freezing problem @CG_SBCrumb. This issue is out of control currently, freezes many battles etc and WILL make GAC VERY unfair
  • Lrrr
    172 posts Member
    October setting up to be a snoozer like September was and August before it....
  • Tarssus_Fraxar
    3 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm excited to hear that something will be done to make the new player experience better to navigate. I stopped playing this game about a year and a half ago after two years of playing and unfortunately had to start completely over when I re downloaded. I am honestly quite overwhelmed by this game starting anew even though I had so much prior experience. I cannot even imagine how a true new player would feel coming into this game. I hope that whatever these improvements are, they are truly beneficial.