Question about mods

Hi, everyone,

I hit 50 last night and got a few characters to 50 as well which opened up their mods for me.
With so many mods and loadout options available in the game, what are some things I should look for in a mod, besides a speed buff, and which strength should I play to for, say, a character like Vader or a character like Dooku?
Also, are the game's recommendations any good or am I better off doing my own thing?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• zegene
    249 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Hi, everyone,

I hit 50 last night and got a few characters to 50 as well which opened up their mods for me.
    With so many mods and loadout options available in the game, what are some things I should look for in a mod, besides a speed buff, and which strength should I play to for, say, a character like Vader or a character like Dooku?
    Also, are the game's recommendations any good or am I better off doing my own thing?

Thanks in advance!

If I were you, I would just farm speed mods with high speed secondary.
    Check my collection. Contact me at Discord: zegene#1773
  • zegene wrote: »
    Hi, everyone,

Thanks in advance!

If I were you, I would just farm speed mods with high speed secondary.

Far speed and let my gear take care of the rest?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    It depends on the character. Attackers want CC/CD or offense. Tanks want health or protection. (Protection tends to be better but at 6* health primaries catch up some.). Characters that rely heavily on debuffs want potency. Most characters want speed, but there are exceptions, and only certain characters that rely on being really fast should get speed sets. The in-game recommendations are pretty bad. I believe there are several mod guides out there if you search for them.
  • Hi, everyone,

Thanks in advance!

1. Get through the "Battles" as quickly as possible but it will take the next 30 levels to get them all. (Do NOT repeat these to FARM mods)

2. Once you clear a "Battles" level you'll open up some "Challenges" at Tier-1. Complete Tier-1 & 2 but again, DON'T FARM from these. Get TIER-3 opened in Health Mods. This will give you access to the 5* mods that Tier-3 offers. THIS is where you need 3* win to open up Simming these in quantity.

3. Any 1-4* Mod that isn't an Arrow with Primary-Speed or a Triangle with Primary-Crit Damage should be sold off. Any 5* Mod that is gray w/o the above 2 primaries can be sold off.

4. What you are actually looking to KEEP & LEVEL. 5* Mods w/ Speed as a Secondary Stat at Level-1.
    Seriously, that is it. At L50 you will go BROKE trying to level up less than perfect mods to see what they turn into.

5. Until you are 85+ you should just farm the Tier-3 CHALLENGES that you can get opened up (As many as possible) & Sell 90% of what you farm.

Primary-Speed-Arrow = Good even at 1*
    Primary-CritDamage-Triangle = Good even at 1*.

Everything ELSE = Good only at 5* w/ Green or higher Color & showing Speed Secondary at L1.

Once your L85 for 6 months & have more credits than you know what to do with, then sure, you'll expand past those basic rules above.

You'll look at a Blue & Level it to 3 or 6 to see what other stats pop.

But for now, don't bother with that, just keep the obvious good mods w/ Speed at L1 along w/ anything with those 2 rare primaries (Speed/Crit Damage) that are only on those 2 specific shapes (Arrow/Triangle)

As for Sets/Families.

You'll be limited for a long time based on the ones that you get open to Tier-3 Challenges.

So Health will be super common.

As you open up more of them in your 80's, you'll get access to Crit Chance, Offense, Potency, & Speed "sets" & you'll farm lots of those to make up for all your early farming of Health (Defense)

Crit Damage & Tenacity are probably the "sets" that are most "specialized" & not in demand based on the articles I've read.

They are for specific characters only so you won't need hundreds of those sets, just a dozen or so for a couple characters.

Finally, for Character/Game recommendation screen. No, its not great. Not completely useless, but not great.

Biggest issues is most "Crit Damage" recommendations will get better damage out of an "Offense" set instead.
    And anyone asking for "Defense/Tenacity" might have to make due with a "Health" set in some cases since you'll have loads & loads of early Health mods.

• Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Depends on the character, but in general:

Attacker/heavy hitter: Crit Chance & Crit Damage/Offense sets
    Tank: Health/protection & defense (and sometimes Crit Avoidance arrow)
    Everyone else: speed, HP/prot, and maybe potency

There are characters that do well with oddball setups though. For example, most characters want lots of speed and tenacity is generally not a useful stat, but Enfys Nest can do very well when modded for zero speed and a ton of tenacity.

Also note that the Tank/Attacker etc. tags are not always super accurate. Jedi Training Rey is a "tank" but can do a ton of damage and doesn't taunt or have unusually high HP, and Asajj Ventress is a "support" but can hit like a truck.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Teebo is a tank with no taunt that stealths instead. I won't let you forget, Teebo, you know what you did.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • A bit out of date but still a really helpful guide https://gaming-fans.com/star-wars-goh/swgoh-101/swgoh-101-comprehensive-mod-guide/

Personally I focus about 50 to 60% of my mod investment on speed sets, about 20% on defense/tenacity/potency and about 30% on offense/crit damage/crit chance. Health mods you'll mostly get from events (although since we have less marquees these days maybe that's not true any more).

But that's just what works for me at very late game after quite a few years building an inventory. It's an interesting question whether speed sets are the most important straight away because lower geared characters are slower so the % based set bonus is less. But speed is so important they will probably be your best investment option to start with. Whatever you invest in though try to focus on mods with speed secondary as a priority. Also, there will come a day where you have arrow mods with speed primary coming out of your ears, but it will be a hard farm for you to start with to get one for almost every character ASAP.
  • I love that guide & all the various sub-articles at the bottom.

Really good info there that I used as a basis for how I farm mods.

I rarely farm Tenacity or Crit Damage sets because of that article & pointing out the specialized nature of those 2 sets.

• Qwik
    25 posts Member
    You wont be unlocking Mod Challenge tier 3 right away. The fights are pretty tough. I'm 64 and still get smoked on some of the tier 2 challenges.

I say go ahead and farm what you can, they make a big difference. Is it most likely somewhat of a waste of resources in the big picture? Sure. What's the other option? Go without mods until you happen to unlock tier 3? I suppose it's ideal, IF you have the patience for it. I did not. I try to stick with the appropriate 4dot mods and any 3 dot speed mods. The useless ones I just sell back, so at least you're converting some of the spent energy back into credits, which you need massive amounts of for leveling all those mods!
  • Hi, everyone,

Thanks in advance!

It depends on the situation.

#1, read the kit, uniques especially and figure out what stats are buffed or restricted by a particular characters abilities. That should give you a hint as to what type of secondaries or primaries you may want. Character archtypes can be a pretty good starting point for what types of modsets and primaries as well.

The best way to learn how to mod is to ask, have someone who knows what they are doing explain (if they won't find someone who will).

Beyond that, use the mod meta report available at swgoh.gg
  • So, my sith team consists of Nihilus (leader), Vader, Sion, Dooku and Tarkin (a remnant from an old sith setup and a placeholder for Fallen Bastilla).
    I'm playing to Nihilus' strength and I've been simming for protection mods. It's not prostrats or anything and it makes me look a little stupid to go against the advice of the forum, but it's the best I can do right now as I gain levels and ability mats to take on higher level mod nodes.