Why GET for GAS Makes No Sense

Prev1
Nice long list of reasons:

1. The toughest event of all time just to unlock a 5* character, and my enthusiasm died the moment I realised it would be a 5* unlock.
2. Nothing short of a 7* can access G12, G13 or 6E mods, so GAS will be miles behind the curve for 99% of people unlocking him.
3. A 5* GAS can't use relics, the much-hyped brand new feature in the game, so he's effectively 3-4 gear levels behind other characters, as well as the star deficit.
4. A 5* GAS can't be used in the soon-to-be-released LS Geo TB, sabotaging the new content before it's even released.
5. Geo TBs reward just over half the amount of GET that Hoth TBs do, so players who want a fast GAS farm are going to be tempted to ignore the new LS Geo TB before it's even released!
6. Players seeking out Hoth-only guilds are going to break up established guilds and relationships, because - as good as Negotiator and Wat are - the GET2 characters are by no means required for anything at all.
7. GET can't be monetised, so CG loses money on either starring up GAS to 7* or gearing him up to G13, and slotting relics to R7.

Based on the above, I think this is - hands down - the dumbest move for the game that I've seen in recent times. I've spent the whole morning trying to make sense of it, and there is no sense to be had.

It's just a bad, bad decision, at a time when a record number of players are deserting the game.

This was a chance to finally put a smile on some faces, new content, a new meta - and it's just another update that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Replies

• They suddenly decided that they have enough money and don't need more apparently.
    With a 5* unlock, we have plenty of time to farm all the relic materials and gear pieces completely free by the time GS hits 7*.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    I hadn't thought it through in quite that level of detail, but I'm not in favour of these 7*-requirements-wirh-power-gating--for-5*-unlock events. Still getting shards for malak which has effectively cut off my g12 gear flow, which was already cut in half due to geo tb's reduced get and now here we go again.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • taquillasun
    1158 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm not gonna stress it. I have all of the needed characters at the min or much higher. Only 2 are at the min.

But I am not going to spend to compete.

Why?

It really makes no sense. Why would I pay to complete a character that won't be complete for a few months???

In my mind, I have 6 months to get ready if that's the case. I'll just save GET - and Bam instant 7 star next time around. Not a dime spent.

It's pure simple logivc that I wonder how in the bleeping world did the devs not think of this?

How could they miss how much incentive they ripped away?

That is mind boggling. Simply crazy.
  • My thoughts EXACTLY.
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    OP hit the nail on the head with this post. Bravo. Too bad CG won’t do anything about it. Shame as I was gonna lay some money down, but after the GET thing....nope.
  • Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    OP hit the nail on the head with this post. Bravo. Too bad CG won’t do anything about it. Shame as I was gonna lay some money down, but after the GET thing....nope.

Exactly! I too was willing to shell out 200-300 dollars easy.

All my toons are at the min or higher. In fact only 2 are at min, the rest are g13 or much higher than 17700.

I was prepared to spend if I got blocked at a certain level. Now....

Why would I do that? I'm gonna spend to buy some Timberwolves season tix.
  • OP deserves a trophy for this. Such an **** decision that will net them less money
  • I understand, they had to take into account the health of the game. What would happen with a ton of 4 zeta 7 star relic 7s do to the game right off the bat.

And they had to weight it with how much money they could make.

Maybe, maybe they actually thought that the health of the game was more important than making a ton of money.

okay let the laughs ensue.

But it's the only reason I can think of to do it this way.

• Alijar1
    381 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    It's to continue a theme. Probably.
    Really he should be under GET2 credits but that's just my opinion
    #MakeTuskensGreat
    tenor.gif

Mate, no reason to just THROW away money
  • Personally, I wish it also required gec2. But I won't be getting him so I'll have plenty if time to horde.
  • Entus
    161 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I understand, they had to take into account the health of the game. What would happen with a ton of 4 zeta 7 star relic 7s do to the game right off the bat.

Maybe, maybe they actually thought that the health of the game was more important than making a ton of money.

So instead, the vast amount of spenders like me who did not save GET will lose to any GA opponent that has r7 GS....It will be autowin for them. How is that healthy? Cause you will.see a mass exodus when that begins to happen. And a good deal of refunds too.
  • Entus wrote: »
    I understand, they had to take into account the health of the game. What would happen with a ton of 4 zeta 7 star relic 7s do to the game right off the bat.

So instead, the vast amount of spenders like me who did not save GET will lose to any GA opponent that has r7 GS....It will be autowin for them. How is that healthy? Cause you will.see a mass exodus when that begins to happen. And a good deal of refunds too.

That was my point, it wouldn't be healthy and I wonder if they weighed that. Weighed it so much that - maybe money isn't the only factor here. I can go out on a limb to give them that credit. But I'm not sure that's what transpired.

Mate, no reason to just THROW away money

I didn't write that.

Yeah I know the Timberwolves will suck this year. But a small season ticket package isn't just throwing my money away. :P
  • Darthh_Cull
    49 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Good post
  • DK_Raid_Violator
    241 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    This is bad. GET is a bottleneck for all players, and if old players like me struggle, I dare not think how bad it will be for never players that have years and years of farming to do before they can get Malak, Skywalker, hYoda and Wampa.

It would be nice if CG made a bit more content and a bit less on ways for us to spend money...
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    It boggles my mind that people are so surprised that this aspect of the second EC is exactly the same as the first EC.
  • The suggested requirements for the event is Relic 3. That’s how they’re going to make their money for this event. Gear 13 pieces and relic things.
  • Any bets on how soon GET becomes a monetized commodity?
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Any bets on how soon GET becomes a monetized commodity?

Why would it? What's the point of letting people whale out on toons/gear if you can't force them to use it in specific game modes like the TB? They just invested a ton of work into building out Geo TB. Making us use GET to buy GAS and Malak just ensures that we all (including the big whales) actually have to play the game.

Just buying the toon is boring and arguably bad for the game.
  • capifico22
    370 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Why this is not like Malak:
    1) For Malak they announced in Jan that there would be a new toon coming to GET store
    2) Since Malak, they have released 2 new currencies (one of them in this very store, making MK1 a legacy currency)
    3) Since Malak, they have released 2 new gear tiers, and made numerous posts about increasing accessibility to the prior tiers (ex. price drops on G12)
    4) The new content (Geo TB) offers a REDUCED quantity of the obsolete currency
  • capifico22 wrote: »
    Why this is not like Malak:
    1) For Malak they announced in Jan that there would be a new toon coming to GET store
    2) Since Malak, they have released 2 new currencies (one of them in this very store, making MK1 a legacy currency)
    3) Since Malak, they have released 2 new gear tiers, and made numerous posts about increasing accessibility to the prior tiers (ex. price drops on G12)
    4) The new content (Geo TB) offers a REDUCED quantity of the obsolete currency

This right here.
  • I’d also add that Malak wasn’t gated three tier levels below the current meta/max. This is comparable to if Malak was hard capped at G9 when he was released.
  • Lio wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Any bets on how soon GET becomes a monetized commodity?

Why would it? What's the point of letting people whale out on toons/gear if you can't force them to use it in specific game modes like the TB? They just invested a ton of work into building out Geo TB. Making us use GET to buy GAS and Malak just ensures that we all (including the big whales) actually have to play the game.

Just buying the toon is boring and arguably bad for the game.

Except that GET is more easily obtained in earlier TBs - so that seems counter intuitive. That also implies that CG/EA care more about people playing than people paying. Not to be a pessimist here, but they don't. If they did, they would focus more on content and less on ways to monetize said content.

All of that said, the only way this might make some sense is if the rewards for Geo LS TB in November drop more GET1 than Hoth. Then they wouldn't have to monetize GET - whales would just jump to guilds that were doing better in Geo LSTB.

But honestly, if we're going to talk about what's "bad for the game" - how about lack of arena diversity and the destabilization of guilds? Which, quite frankly, seems where this is headed.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Angelloyd
    365 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Well. Congratulations, you just made a list for no reason with really weak arguments!

Next time add: Because I don’t want it to be like this

• Angelloyd wrote: »
    Well. Congratulations, you just made a list for no reason with really weak arguments!

Next time add: Because I don’t want it to be like this

Well. Congratulations, you just made a meaningless statement with no analysis, logic or counter-arguments.
  • Was reading OP post as critically as I could and he is spot on with his rationale and the issues be bring up... the only thing he isnt seeing is that this IS the new price tag they have set. They expect a select few to do whatever it takes to get anakin if its spend to unlock, spend the refreshes to farm the gear asap, whatever it takes going to 800 800 refreshing... it's an all out race to 7 star him by allinging with guilds of 49 other like minded playersthese select few whale out they make a ton. Some people have nearly unlimited income and can afford to spend $1,000 or 5k or more a month on a game it just doesn't matter to them. I know a guy he made like 60 million last year if he wants anakin he can get anakin doesn't change a thing...

They dont care about your $200 your willing to spend, you can spend it but the days of getting a 7 star max character for a couple hundred bucks are gone. No more $5.99 5-330 packs for the newest things, now if u want the newest thing u will need 3 to 4 full teams to unlock, a stockpile of the newest reward to take to 7 and a ton of Crystal's to access the end game relic content without waiting months...

Once you understand this concept then everything they did makes sense, make the people with unlimited income race to finish first for bragging rights and profit. Then you can be happy you get anakin and get to play the game for free... it's a symbiotic relationship once u see the big picture.
  • Was reading OP post as critically as I could and he is spot on with his rationale and the issues be bring up... the only thing he isnt seeing is that this IS the new price tag they have set. They expect a select few to do whatever it takes to get anakin if its spend to unlock, spend the refreshes to farm the gear asap, whatever it takes going to 800 800 refreshing... it's an all out race to 7 star him by allinging with guilds of 49 other like minded playersthese select few whale out they make a ton. Some people have nearly unlimited income and can afford to spend $1,000 or 5k or more a month on a game it just doesn't matter to them. I know a guy he made like 60 million last year if he wants anakin he can get anakin doesn't change a thing...

They dont care about your $200 your willing to spend, you can spend it but the days of getting a 7 star max character for a couple hundred bucks are gone. No more $5.99 5-330 packs for the newest things, now if u want the newest thing u will need 3 to 4 full teams to unlock, a stockpile of the newest reward to take to 7 and a ton of Crystal's to access the end game relic content without waiting months...

Once you understand this concept then everything they did makes sense, make the people with unlimited income race to finish first for bragging rights and profit. Then you can be happy you get anakin and get to play the game for free... it's a symbiotic relationship once u see the big picture.

This is pretty much it. The people who are on here most upset are those who used to be considered "baby whales and dolphins" no true "kraken" even cares they don't use currency, the only currency they deal in is crystals and they stockpile the rest so they are never caught off guard. We are all just learning our place as CG brings balance to the force, and we don't have the high ground.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    Reasons it does make sense:
    1. Epic Confrontation characters unlock at 5 stars and then the remainder of the shards are purchased from the Guild Events Store