On Gen Skywalker Unlocking at 5* and GET1

Prev1
CookieCrispp
555 posts Member
edited October 2019
A few thoughts on this, if you will bear with me.

The most obvious issue is that the 5* unlock and potential (and I say potential because even though it is live in game, it has not yet been confirmed WAI by devs) purchase of shards via GET1 is designed to serve two purposes. The first is that it is probably the least hoarded currency at this time, making it the slowest 7* path. The second is that it is clearly designed to starve us of this currency (and therefore slow our farms or make us spend crystals to work on g12 pieces in shops or via refreshes).

The second key issue why everyone should be upset isn’t just because the (rumored) requirements may be insane for a 5* character, but that said 5* character will be at least three gear tiers behind every current toon. When Malak dropped, he was a g11 toon in a sea of g12s. That’s one gear level, meaning he could still function (and thrive). By gating g12 behind 7*, you have pushed Gen Ani at least three tiers behind everyone else. I say at least three because the relics are a slightly more difficult to quantify value relative to gear levels, so I have chosen to view all relic levels as a single gear tier.

Finally, by unlocking him at 5* and slowing the shard acquisition to starve us of GET1, you prevent Gen Ani from being usable in raids or LS TB (which, I personally thought he would be used for a la CLS in Hoth). This serves to further limit and gate content, content which is specifically referenced in the Dev Insights for where Gen Ani can shine.

Tldr:
- Ani is being gated behind GET1 to starve us of that specific currency
- He will be at least three gear tiers behind the meta for months
- in the Dev Insights they reference his raid usage, I doubt anyone unlocking Gen Ani is worried about Tier 5 raids.

Please reconsider the GET1 emphasis, or (and I hate that I am bargaining here) please consider making him purchasable at the same rate via GET2 as well as with GET1. It still will starve us of vital G12/12+/finisher currency, and even slow negotiator farms, but it also helps roll out Gen Ani at 7* before LS Geo TB and the raid next year.
Post edited by CookieCrispp on

Replies

• Agree
  • Good, very good post.
  • I just don’t understand who thought this would be a good idea?

If I’m a spender in this game, and I’m maybe $200-$500 dollars from getting this character and might actually spend... there is like a 1% chance I’m going to spend all that money to unlock a character at 5* when I could just wait till the next time around and have the currency saved. How does crap like this still get pushed through when it in no way benefits the company or the players?

Also there’s no better way to make this feel less “epic” than having an extremely trying and arduous unlock and then you get a character at 5 stars!

Please, someone fix this. For it to be an “epic confrontation” we should be rewarded with something epic.
  • I agree it's crazy the whole stuff to be able to play the event, and even more then to master it.

But honestly, are you really surprised?
    Swiss Garde Officer, drop me a message if you're interested joining
  • They have certainly reduced my urgency in acquiring the character. I already have a solution to beating GS led 501st which will be fine until the first GS G13 with relics pops up and by then I will have hoard enough to be competitive. For hoarding purposes I don’t need to have unlocked him. My advise to everyone is chill out on getting him first time around and save up gear and shards so when you do get him you can push him to G13 straight away. My advice to CG would be: if you want to make money by pay walling this character there needs to be motivation for climbing the wall. If I get him this time, I get him, but won’t have the resources to get him to 7/stars, G13 etc for many months so doesn’t really matter either way. Also by putting him in that store they have also guaranteed he won’t be needed for any other unlock events (unless they are going back on their previous statements)
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    You seriously would rather it be get2?
  • CookieCrispp
    555 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Liath wrote: »
    You seriously would rather it be get2?

I would seriously rather have him unlock at 7*, as I feel this would encourage more unlocks and auxiliary spending in the character arms race.

I feel dirty saying this, but if they forced a GET purchase, I’d rather he also be available for GET2 (as well as with GET1), as this at least gives an option to expedite the process and make his usage broader.

Edited my original post for clarity. I saw my wording was originally ambiguous.
  • I mean, if they were trying to hide the GEO brood component of Arc Trooper by inducing rage over General Anakin while they sneak in the pay character needed for Light side GEO TB as a marquee. I guess they are winning?
  • groovdog
    102 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Everyone gets to choose how they react to this. It was pretty obvious it was going to be GET1 due to malak unlocks.

That being said, the G13 and relics so close took me from kraken to whale. This takes me to f2p as why bother. Still 2 TBs away from 7 star malak (new player) and 5 star 3p0 (last journey to farm due to ewoks) so no pressure. Could lock up bunch of GET prior to return next time but then gotta get clones geared (all 7 star but like g8-g10).

New players are screwed as no time to gear the next phase and in Div 3 headed to 2 (not bad for 11 months) so about to start getting smacked by wide deep well modded rosters. Not worth it any more when the gs walls on D start showing up.

Will be interested to see if I can manage to keep myself interested enough to stick around. Way to lose thousands annually CG. No real single player content just more farms to generate cash.
  • Nah. As someone not getting him, I'l have plenty horded for when he comes back. And I'm hoping he requires a r7 squad mace and crew level difficulty too.
  • Nah. As someone not getting him, I'l have plenty horded for when he comes back. And I'm hoping he requires a r7 squad mace and crew level difficulty too.

This is so salty lol. But i love it.

• groovdog
    102 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Nah. As someone not getting him, I'l have plenty horded for when he comes back. And I'm hoping he requires a r7 squad mace and crew level difficulty too.

By the time he comes back ep9 will req get1 and mal will have replaced neg for get2.
  • Yea, I just got done dumping most of my GET1 for Malak, I'm not goign to spend the kind of cash I'd need to spend to unlock GAS this time around. Next time I can have him completely F2P and have the currency saved up to actually make him useful.
  • There is at least 5 guys in my guild who were going to spend for this, that aren't now because why bother having a 5 star toon in a sea of arena relics? I really hope they take another look at this because its a bad decision.
  • I honestly am confused by this release.

Release an endgame character who is seemingly useless to endgame players for months...and whose released can't really be monetized.

1) If they wanted him to be a "gift" to long time players/tip of the spear types (ala CLS) - then the requirements should have been simpler and he should unlock at 7* so he would be usable by end-game players for the LS TB and in GAC/arena

2) If they wanted him to be a paywall/Malak-type event, then monetize his release and make him viable early.

They chose....neither. :|
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • People are constantly complaining that these events get released with no prior notice on the requirements, just look at it this way, they are releasing him now so you can get him at 5 and you now have plenty of notice to unlock and gear him up the next time. Why you people have to always have the latest shiny as fast as possible dumbfounds me, I don't care how much money you are willing to dump on something you'll never own or profit off of.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I honestly am confused by this release.

Release an endgame character who is seemingly useless to endgame players for months...and whose released can't really be monetized.

1) If they wanted him to be a "gift" to long time players/tip of the spear types (ala CLS) - then the requirements should have been simpler and he should unlock at 7* so he would be usable by end-game players for the LS TB and in GAC/arena

2) If they wanted him to be a paywall/Malak-type event, then monetize his release and make him viable early.

I totally agree with this - I am so puzzled. Why would I panic spend to get a character I can't use anywhere or gear past G11?

My guild is being forced to do Hoth TBs for a few months to get sufficient GET1 for both Malak and GSky. We can't progress any further in Geo because the platoons need so many 7* Malaks (and LS will presumably need 7* GSky). This seems very broken.
  • BeralCator wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I honestly am confused by this release.

I totally agree with this - I am so puzzled. Why would I panic spend to get a character I can't use anywhere or gear past G11?

My guild is being forced to do Hoth TBs for a few months to get sufficient GET1 for both Malak and GSky. We can't progress any further in Geo because the platoons need so many 7* Malaks (and LS will presumably need 7* GSky). This seems very broken.

Here's the thing - they seem to be trying to slow the pace of the game (i.e. "gate" progress). But going backwards is not the answer. Which is exactly what seems to be happening here.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Yeah, I wouldn't do hoth if you can do Geo. Negotiator will probably be required for LS geo so you will just be slowing that progress by getting ZERO GET2 for the next few months. You'll have enough to 7 star them both eventually. You'll probably lose half of your guild too. I would never go back to hoth.
  • Kurrgan wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't do hoth if you can do Geo. Negotiator will probably be required for LS geo so you will just be slowing that progress by getting ZERO GET2 for the next few months. You'll have enough to 7 star them both eventually. You'll probably lose half of your guild too. I would never go back to hoth.

Our guild wants to go back to Hoth just to do full clear of each of them once - we are stuck at 25* in Geo and can't realistically get anymore stars without either a massive increase in GP or a dozen more 7* Malaks. I was waiting for the bulk of the guild to unlock Negotiator (which will be after this TB) so as not to disrupt fleet arena payouts.
  • I completely agree with this post. This is the OPPOSITE of progression in this game for a massive number of players, particularly the ones who have the toons/gear/relics to obtain 5* GA.
  • I'm out. They finally add a character I'm interested in -- I never got into the Old Republic as a kid, so the current best squads aren't as fun for me to play with -- but it will literally take me years to farm him. Instead, I'm out. Over it.
  • Just wait until they announce that Arc trooper is the Wat of LS TB so only the top guilds will get him to complete the squad...
  • I wish they would allow you to gear up characters as far as you can at any star level. Marvel Strike Force does this with no repercussions that I can see.
  • I’m just flabbergasted that an artificial timer such as GET1 is being used when it won’t be a universal timer.

Most of the arguments I’ve seen state that it’s designed to slow Gen Anis hitting shards (but relic versions will hit some shards, are we just apathetic to those people?), it’s designed to starve us of GET1 (this one just leads me to question the Replacement refreshes/shipments vs the lost unlocks and immediate g13/relic gains for Gen Ani), and even to increase engagement time with the game (once again, some will relic7 him tomorrow, and even those that have long farms are usually stuck here because of sunk cost fallacies).

I’m just confused by the design decision from a profit standpoint, and reminded that the implementation is the exact same as it was for Malak despite the games state having changes (Relics being max, not G12+3).
  • I’m just flabbergasted that an artificial timer such as GET1 is being used when it won’t be a universal timer.

Most of the arguments I’ve seen state that it’s designed to slow Gen Anis hitting shards (but relic versions will hit some shards, are we just apathetic to those people?), it’s designed to starve us of GET1 (this one just leads me to question the Replacement refreshes/shipments vs the lost unlocks and immediate g13/relic gains for Gen Ani), and even to increase engagement time with the game (once again, some will relic7 him tomorrow, and even those that have long farms are usually stuck here because of sunk cost fallacies).

I’m just confused by the design decision from a profit standpoint, and reminded that the implementation is the exact same as it was for Malak despite the games state having changes (Relics being max, not G12+3).

Its crazy to have all these requirements done, relics and all, and the reward is someone who will now be 2 full gear levels behind. These days, thats just not enough. No idea what they were thinking here.
  • Give us more GET 1 from Geo TB than we would in Hoth TB. That would go a long way. I suspect they’ve been trying to slow down player gear progression from GET 1 since Malak basically. But now in the presence of relics etc it will just make everyone a lot happier to have more GET income for those running Geo. Gearing will still take forever anyways...and if they’re truly trying to make G12 easier to acquire, then this increase would be a very good way to do so. If they DON’T intend to do this, they need to let their player base know why in detail, like, hey guys, slowing down GET 1 because otherwise our 5 year gear leveling projections run to 3...or something like that.
  • What takes my head for a spin is that the GET1 it requires incentivizes guilds to do the Hoth TB, since a fully starred Hoth TB gets roughly 4k more GET1 than the top current earners in Geo TB. It's like they dont want you to play their new content.

So assuming people reasonably saved their GET1 (i.e. spent some, but didnt blow through it, so at 40 or 50k), then they're going to be 2 months or so out from 7 starting Anakin and being able to spend premium gear and relics on him. I'm in a top 5 guild and spend myself. The vast majority of our guild/alliance is in a similar position.

It just baffles me that they wouldnt utilize this event to monetize the gear and relics.

Also, supposedly ARC Trooper is going to cantina farm. That means, again, choosing between a farm and relics.
  • Here’s a better idea, if people are going to and are willing to actually pay to unlock a character. Have that character be 7* in the first place. This whole business of expecting people to pay to unlock a character that is going to sit at 5* for 1-3 months is just ludicrous.
  • Not to mention a character that will be competing with whatever new meta comes out with the new movie (which they will obviously release)