starting to jump the shark?

Wookiebush
114 posts Member
edited October 2019
With each new event it seems like the toons are getting stronger and stronger. GAS is essentially a raid boss (intended by CG). How long before new toons are just breaking the game because they are too strong? Is CG going too far, or are they going in the right direction in terms of strong toons?

Replies

• see: Traya
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Toons have been breaking the since back on the day.....yet it's still not broken....amazing how that works.

Also, do or do not, there is no "starting to", especially when it comes to jumping the shark.
  • Wookiebush wrote: »
    With each new event it seems like the toons are getting stronger and stronger.

That's how these games work. If the new toons weren't stronger, then nobody would spend any money because they could just sit on their current roster. No money = no game.
  • Remember when wiggs broke the game, and junkyard Rey, and chaze? Ahh the good ol' days.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    This thread comes around every time a new legendary toon is announced. Can't wait to see it again in a few months.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Lio wrote: »
    This thread comes around every time a new legendary toon is announced. Can't wait to see it again in a few months.

Has anyone noticed that CG does a stealth increase of the drip rates on this thread when an event is approaching?

Please nerf this slap in the face!
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Wookiebush wrote: »

That's how these games work. If the new toons weren't stronger, then nobody would spend any money because they could just sit on their current roster. No money = no game.

Games typically don't require obsolete currency for the new flashy items. OOPS
  • GAS is essentially a raid boss

Yep. I'd noticed that too. Said it to myself in almost exactly those words.

The difference between power creep before and GAS is that damage is the single, core, unreachable mechanic without which the game loses all meaning.

While other allies exist, GAS is literally immune to health damage. Period. Until you clear all GAS' protection, all other allies are literally immune to both health damage and protection damage. They're immune to ALL DAMAGE.

Where do you go from there?

This isn't just doing a lot of damage quickly - and I agree that one character that moves quickly and does a lot of damage has been called "game breaking" by people before (Wiggs, ScavRey, etc.).

But the fact that some people have overreacted in the past does not mean that all future criticism of overpowered toons must be wrongheaded. I was wary of the damage immunity on Droideka, but there are a lot of ways that you can remove buffs and it's not immune to dispel and Droideka can't stand on its own against a full opposing squad.

This is damage immunity for an entire squad while they burn you to the ground.

Again, I have to see it in action. Maybe Anakin gets next-to-nothing for protection, so a shot or two at GAS immobilizes him and dispels the protection for a few turns. Maybe in practice it's not as bad as it sounds. We'll see.

But breaching not just A core mechanic, but THE core mechanic of damage dealing is something that seems wrongheaded to me.

I am both skeptical and displeased, and I'm not one who has complained about overpowered toons before. This really does seem to be quite different.
  • Pariah_Anchorite
    836 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Well, I, for one, am happy we’re over the need for turn meter so we can execute multiple attacks and get back to what *REAL* gaming is all about: attack chains and sustainable DPS!

More seriously, must be challenging to come up with a next character that addresses all the meta stuff prior to, yet leaves enough space for others

Edit: jumping the shark! Darth Fonz incoming! :sunglasses:
  • TVF wrote: »

Has anyone noticed that CG does a stealth increase of the drip rates on this thread when an event is approaching?

Oh go STUN GUNS your STUN GUNS you STUN GUN of a STUN GUN!
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Oh go STUN GUNS your STUN GUNS you STUN GUN of a STUN GUN!

@Kyno please change swear filter from **** to STUN GUNS!
  • Well, I, for one, am happy we’re over the need for turn meter so we can execute multiple attacks and get back to what *REAL* gaming is all about: attack chains and sustainable DPS!

More seriously, must be challenging to come up with a next character that addresses all the meta stuff prior to, yet leaves enough space for others

Edit: jumping the shark! Darth Fonz incoming! :sunglasses:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
    bHpWsfa.gif
  • GAS is essentially a raid boss

While other allies exist, GAS is literally immune to health damage. Period. Until you clear all GAS' protection, all other allies are literally immune to both health damage and protection damage. They're immune to ALL DAMAGE.

This is patently false. They are only immune to health damage. Protection can be stripped.

Honestly thinking of him as a raid boss helps figure out the tactics. You kill him in stages. Trash the team's protection til GS Covers, then kill the clones while he's down. Once you kill all the clones he goes into "rage" mode and you gotta be ready to bring him down Fast.
  • JZ95
    167 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    Toons have been breaking the since back on the day.....yet it's still not broken....amazing how that works.

Also, do or do not, there is no "starting to", especially when it comes to jumping the shark.

It isn't, like when you had Malak and got paired up with someone who didn't in GA and it was an automatic win? Isn't that broken when Malak as last standing character can 1v5 without problem?
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Is it starting to jump the shark tea?
  • No, but it's shocking to gimp the shock tease.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Meh not even worth posting anymore with how stupid this game has gotten
  • Clash on Kamino releases the same day as El Camino the Breaking Bad film. Therefore SWGOH is broken.

It’s just math, gents.
  • I concur that it is a matter of degree, I have reread the GAS zeta skills over and over and I concur this is by far the most OP I have seen in my time playing. And of course Shaak Ti will be far less valuable so I hope they do a rework on skills.

Of course I’m only 3.4 million GP so I’ve been too busy getting all the other OP characters I don’t have yet to build up what is needed for GAS :)
  • Fanatic
    415 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    capifico22 wrote: »
    Wookiebush wrote: »

Games typically don't require obsolete currency for the new flashy items. OOPS

You consider a currency that is used to obtain G12 pieces as obsolete? (You rolling in enough G13's already?)

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Yes, threads like this pop up every time and the game still lives, but the problem is that the room for power creep isn't infinite and CG doesn't seem to care about how fast they chew through it. If the game was meant to last, they would push the boundaries only with extreme caution.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    Yes, threads like this pop up every time and the game still lives, but the problem is that the room for power creep isn't infinite and CG doesn't seem to care about how fast they chew through it. If the game was meant to last, they would push the boundaries only with extreme caution.

Why can power creep not be infinite?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

Why can power creep not be infinite?

Where can you go beyond "You win the match"? And we are pretty close to that already.
  • There's a "jumping the shark" level and then there's the "Jaws 4" level...I'll leave it up to you to decide which this one is.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"