Comprehensive Mod Strategy?

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what your mod slicing/farming strategy is and how to maximize the chance at really good mods without draining tons of resources. Scored a +24 speed square today, so it's a win!

Basically, I'm wondering what the cutoffs are for everyone for speed secondaries at certain tiers. For example, I slice a Green +9 speed mod and it upgrades Defense...do I try to slice this again knowing that it could still result in a +20 or +21 speed or do I save the resources and move on?

Main Questions:
-Do you upgrade/slice grey mods that show a +3 or +4 speed or only +5? I have a TON of +3 grey mods, and not sure if it's worth the credits to up them to 15 just to hope a +3 speed increases...
-Do you slice Green mods that have between +4 to +7 speed?
-Do you slice Blue mods that have less than +10 speed?

-Note my questions are for your GENERAL rules. Not worried about exceptions like Crit Dmg Triangles or Offense secondaries, for example. Assume it's a Potency Square or something we are talking about :D

My Current Strategy

Grey Mods: Any grey mod gets upgraded to level 6. If there's no speed secondary, goes to the junk. If it's a Crit Damage triangle or an Offense cross, I'll take to 9 or 12 just to see if a speed secondary pops up, otherwise to junk. For slicing, I've been slicing anything that gets a +4 or +5 speed. If its +3 speed, I send to junk.

Green Mods: Green mods get upgraded to level 9. If there's no speed secondary, goes to junk. If speed secondary, take to 12. If speed doesn't increase, send to junk. If Crit Dmg Triangle or Offense Cross, consider slicing anyway at +4 or +5 and hope.

Blue Mods: Blue mods get upgraded to level 6. No speed secondary goes to junk. Take to level 12. If speed ends up less than +10, leave as is. Again, Crit Dmg Triangles or Offense Crosses might get a slice at +8 or +9.

Replies

• I am in a slicing period. When I think I have accumulated enough mods to focus on upgrading I use 2 refreshes on mod battles daily to get green mats. I sort all my mods by speed, and do the fasted green on Any of my GAC team's mods. When I got no more greens I work up blues
  • Just farm and prey.

Farm and prey
  • I probably shouldn't do this but I'll keep slicing as long as its landing on something useful.

Raw Offense/Protection/Health (This is how I end up with a 3500 Protection Mod that is still Speed-3) Grrr.

If it lands on Health/Defense % then I'll probably stop.

I also tend to just ignore slicing on a mod even if it has speed if I'm seeing the other 3 stats and at least 2 of them aren't "good" stats. I'd like to get something useful even if it doesn't hit on speed.

A friend is different, he upgrades greys to 12 just to see if speed shows up but the minute it misses landing on speed once its shown he stops leveling/slicing it.

Me, unless its a "rare/good" combo from the right side of the mods box, I don't even keep Greys.
    A Grey Square/Diamond/Circle at L1 just gets sold immediately for cash.
    I don't start leveling them till I see Green w/ Speed at L1 if its a "Left Side" mod.

I'm less restrictive w/ the Arrow/Cross/Triangle slots since its more about the Primary Stat, in a lot of cases, than it is the secondaries.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I also like to make sure the primary and secondaries "match" the mod type (set type) and how I'll use it.

As an example, if it's a tenacity set cross with a potency primary, I'm probably not wasting my time/resources on it, because if I'm going for potency, I want it on a potency mod - the same for tenacity.

Similarly, a crit damage set with defense as a primary or defense mod with offense primary - most of those are being sold. There are a few outlier cases, but for the most part, it's better to go with secondary and primary stats the fit the mod type (and each other). You've only got a limited number of mods and stats to improve - try to make that as efficient as possible.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Dryff
    672 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I also like to make sure the primary and secondaries "match" the mod type (set type) and how I'll use it.

As an example, if it's a tenacity set cross with a potency primary, I'm probably not wasting my time/resources on it, because if I'm going for potency, I want it on a potency mod - the same for tenacity.

Similarly, a crit damage set with defense as a primary or defense mod with offense primary - most of those are being sold. There are a few outlier cases, but for the most part, it's better to go with secondary and primary stats the fit the mod type (and each other). You've only got a limited number of mods and stats to improve - try to make that as efficient as possible.

So...what happens when that tenacity cross with potency primary lands +22 speed? :D

I've got 13 mods with +20 (or more) speed on them, so I think I'm doing *okay* as a F2P, but I was just wondering if any of the vets around here have better (more efficient?) methods for getting high speed mods.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

Tenacity with potency go good on a few toons like poo Koon. Honestly I can find a place for most mods if they have high speed. The biggest deal breaker for me is CD type triangle with anything other than CD primary. 186 CD makes no sense from 4 mods with crit chance or offense primaries, I guess exception is speed +20
  • As both of you mentioned (and I acknowledged) there are some unique cases. If I did roll great speed on a "mismatched" mod, it would probably end up on a character like NS zombie or Jawa Engineer or possibly Sith assassin - someone whose only stat that "really" matters is speed.

There are some other unique cases - especially now. Fives can benefit from offense and defense since he passes those on if he sacrifices himself. Or GR teams where health is always a good secondary. Droideka, who is best with very little speed, etc.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*