What paywalls?

Prev1
Quick history

- Started in May 2017 and focused on ships because zetas seemed to be the in thing then.
- Went hard at Phoenix to unlock Thrawn because I loved the character from lore. Got him at 5*.
- Missed CLS unlock. Wasn’t even close. Got up to top 20 in squad with Tarkin lead with Thrawn, couldn’t sniff top 10.
- Spent $50 on JTR, got to #1 and found my shard chat. Also getting 1 in fleets.
- Found a good guild and got Traya relatively early. Focused on str teams and played most of them out for 1-3 place.
- Missed JKR because I finished off some teams like FO and NS instead of farming OR hard. Oops. Still got to 1 with Traya lead, but got my butt kicked overnight and it cost some refreshes to get back up.
- Got DR for free.
- Got Malak for free.
- Also have gotten all the legendaries for free at 7* first drop.
- Just unlocked General Skywalker for free because I was focusing on GTB squads for my guild, and GR toons for my fleet. Heard a rumor ShaakTi would be needed next big toon drop.

I definitely could have gotten JTR for free and JKR for free the first time around if I had farmed stuff I knew I should have instead of trying to fit something else in. You have to be pretty dedicated and focused, and the events have definitely gotten harder and harder, but they aren’t paywalled yet.

Not bragging because the attention and time I’ve given are pretty silly, but whatever - enjoyed the community, mostly enjoyed the game.

If you want to keep playing this game and play it at the upper levels, focus arena first and get 900 crystals a day, focus on placing high in the raids, try to use all your free and 50 crystal energy refreshes, never waste crystals on unnecessary arena or shop refreshes, farm marquees hard as soon as you can, and of course - MODS, MODS, MODS.

Maybe it’ll change, but as of this latest event - you CAN keep up for free and get all the toys.

Replies

• I didn't get Anakin. Bummer, I was reasonably close but need too many stars across too many characters. Oh well. I didn't get the endgame character on the first try right out of the box. I think anyone being reasonable wouldn't have a problem with that--but carry an unlit lantern and go looking for a reasonable person on this board, Diogenes........

I'll get him next time and will have spent a grand total of Free Fifty-Free and Zero Cents. No paywall, just a patience wall.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • JZ95
    167 posts Member
    Seems like you made some good choices, also some bad ones. You mentioned not getting Jedi Revan or CLS. The difference is those choices didn't cost you much because back then the latest and greatest had some counterplay. The way the powercreep is now and with whales requiring big bang for their bucks from the devs, not getting the latest characters is alot harder to be successful. You said nothing about mod RNG, you also said you weren't very successful in arena until you paid 50$ to get Jedi training Rey which allowed you to climb to number 1, find your shard chat and begin the process of earning lots of crystals which then allowed you to save up alot and hoard many resources to enable you to get future characters for "free".

I also have flashes of good RNG with the mods I have which are far from great, and I manage to climb in arena and when I do I manage to save a few thousand crystals but I can't do it consistently with the mods I have.

But you ask what paywall? Well, when you're required to use a mix of g13 and g12s with a 3 day notice to unlock characters then how can you suggest it's not a paywall. If we all had the luxury of getting multiple characters to gear 12-13 within 5-6 days then we'd probably not be having these issues. This event required months of gearing in advance and to simply use the argument that these characters are all decent so everyone should have them geared already definitely misses the point.

Sure Separatists and clones are strong, galactic republic ships were projected to be meta but not for months until people could finally get the negotiator, I'm 6 months away from negotiator it would make no sense to gear these ship Captains before geonosians. Separatist droids imo aren't that great, Geo's are better so I went with Geos. Grievous works without droideka and B1 also.

And Shaak Ti is not possible without multiple refreshes a day so that's definitely a paywall. What I've said before is that even if you have 99% of the requirements, not having the 1% means you can't get the event done so what are we even debating here
  • Dmitry_M81
    459 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    OP is definitely a brilliant player, good for you dude!

It doesn't mean Malak and especially GSky or whatever new "epic ..." is coming are not garbage events. GSky's requirements are way too hard for so little reward (5 star toon which requires lots of GET and Kyros). It's literally "you can't buy gear in this shop anymore, use your wallet" in players' faces.
  • JZ95
    167 posts Member
    Everything in the game is "eventually free" there's no denying that. With enough patience you can have any character, however it's the few months where the character is hot and meta, when others have them and you don't that makes all the difference in terms of payout and that's also a fact. There was a time when having Jedi training Rey was landing you 1st place in arena every day, now she's just a reliable counter to Bossk in TW and GA, nothing else.

When we call a character pay to play or pay to win, we refer to the first few months when the character dominates arena and provides crystal income daily and potentially free wins in GA and TW. And that's a thing for a fact
  • JZ95 wrote: »
    Seems like you made some good choices, also some bad ones. You mentioned not getting Jedi Revan or CLS. The difference is those choices didn't cost you much because back then the latest and greatest had some counterplay. The way the powercreep is now and with whales requiring big bang for their bucks from the devs, not getting the latest characters is alot harder to be successful. You said nothing about mod RNG, you also said you weren't very successful in arena until you paid 50$ to get Jedi training Rey which allowed you to climb to number 1, find your shard chat and begin the process of earning lots of crystals which then allowed you to save up alot and hoard many resources to enable you to get future characters for "free".

I also have flashes of good RNG with the mods I have which are far from great, and I manage to climb in arena and when I do I manage to save a few thousand crystals but I can't do it consistently with the mods I have.

But you ask what paywall? Well, when you're required to use a mix of g13 and g12s with a 3 day notice to unlock characters then how can you suggest it's not a paywall. If we all had the luxury of getting multiple characters to gear 12-13 within 5-6 days then we'd probably not be having these issues. This event required months of gearing in advance and to simply use the argument that these characters are all decent so everyone should have them geared already definitely misses the point.

Sure Separatists and clones are strong, galactic republic ships were projected to be meta but not for months until people could finally get the negotiator, I'm 6 months away from negotiator it would make no sense to gear these ship Captains before geonosians. Separatist droids imo aren't that great, Geo's are better so I went with Geos. Grievous works without droideka and B1 also.

And Shaak Ti is not possible without multiple refreshes a day so that's definitely a paywall. What I've said before is that even if you have 99% of the requirements, not having the 1% means you can't get the event done so what are we even debating here

A lot of dedicated strong players will fall short, I agree. But the ships won’t be the tier that holds them back. This was doable with a pretty weak Max and capital ship and with only 1 reinforcement. You would need a strong Rex, fives, and Annie of course and you have every reason to have them at high levels pre-event.

The other requirements are steep but as others have mentioned- these are characters that we all should have had to help our guilds with TB and STR. Anyone not in that situation shouldn’t be expecting to complete the new major event anyway.
  • JZ95
    167 posts Member
    Pulsipher wrote: »
    JZ95 wrote: »

A lot of dedicated strong players will fall short, I agree. But the ships won’t be the tier that holds them back. This was doable with a pretty weak Max and capital ship and with only 1 reinforcement. You would need a strong Rex, fives, and Annie of course and you have every reason to have them at high levels pre-event.

The other requirements are steep but as others have mentioned- these are characters that we all should have had to help our guilds with TB and STR. Anyone not in that situation shouldn’t be expecting to complete the new major event anyway.

I would agree but TB isn't the only thing that matters, sure I switched focus and started farming for TB to help my guild but Geos were far more important than clones or droids, droids underperform in TB very badly in my experience and when you consider how many stun guns all these characters need it's not easy to get everything g12+
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I'm definetely bragging
    Only event characters i didn't unlock directly when they were released are GMY, chimeara and JKR. Most of them 7* (if possible) except for bb8 and the falcon (6* % 5* respectively).
    GMY came too early for me and he **** at the time anyway, only managed to get him to 7* after the 4th or something event, can't remember exactly.
    Chimeara is a ship, i don't like ships.
    JKR i wasn't prepared for, iirc it was a rather steep increase in difficulty obtaining the necessary characters at the time. kinda took me by suprise.
    Obviously you need to be a long(ish) term player to achieve this (or better) while being completely f2p, but it's not as impossible as people think. Take me for example, i only finish high in 1 of the arenas.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • JZ95 wrote: »
    Pulsipher wrote: »
    JZ95 wrote: »

I would agree but TB isn't the only thing that matters, sure I switched focus and started farming for TB to help my guild but Geos were far more important than clones or droids, droids underperform in TB very badly in my experience and when you consider how many stun guns all these characters need it's not easy to get everything g12+

For sure TB isn’t the only thing that matters, agree completely. There are a lot of ways to play this game - But if you aren’t rolling end game content then the expectation should be that GAS looks like something fun to build for in the future.

• Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    That's cool you got Anakin for free. What people are missing is that it involves a lot of guesswork with planning in farming the right characters and gear levels for these events. If people don't guess right then that is potentially hundreds of dollars for a single character.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Mzee wrote: »
    That's cool you got Anakin for free. What people are missing is that it involves a lot of guesswork with planning in farming the right characters and gear levels for these events. If people don't guess right then that is potentially hundreds of dollars for a single character.

It doesn’t require any guess work in gearing if you just hoard the gear and crystals and wait for the requirements to be announced. (It doesn’t require guess work in farming either if you just farm everything there is, but that requires having played long enough and focused on farming everything for an extended period of time first).
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

It doesn’t require any guess work in gearing if you just hoard the gear and crystals and wait for the requirements to be announced. (It doesn’t require guess work in farming either if you just farm everything there is, but that requires having played long enough and focused on farming everything for an extended period of time first).

Well, hoarding many gear 12, 12+, finishers, and maybe even some relic materials is harming your guild for geo tb.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    JDIII wrote: »
    Be sure to thank guildmates for carrying you all the time because of your “choices”

I'd be happy to carry a player like that in my guild.
  • Liath wrote: »

Hoarding is usually effective, but I would have to argue tgat in this case it was not. I hard farmed shak ti, and had the stars just fine. (only about 50 short on shak ti). And a few thosand crystals solved that easily.

I had 30k in crystals saved and that easily got both teams above the minimum. However, the minimum required to actually beat the event is having several of the characters at g13 and almost all of them at g12 with g12+ pieces.

So to get this the first time ftp, you not only had to hoard but also had to have guessed correctly in gearing so that you were already at g12 on everyone before you started using your stash.

Either that or you had to have a stash way higher than mine. The g12+, kryos, and finishers just burn through crystals far faster than previous gear tiers.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Hoarding is usually effective, but I would have to argue tgat in this case it was not. I hard farmed shak ti, and had the stars just fine. (only about 50 short on shak ti). And a few thosand crystals solved that easily.

I had 30k in crystals saved and that easily got both teams above the minimum. However, the minimum required to actually beat the event is having several of the characters at g13 and almost all of them at g12 with g12+ pieces.

So to get this the first time ftp, you not only had to hoard but also had to have guessed correctly in gearing so that you were already at g12 on everyone before you started using your stash.

Either that or you had to have a stash way higher than mine. The g12+, kryos, and finishers just burn through crystals far faster than previous gear tiers.

A bigger stash solves all of you problems, but in this case it wasn't really needed.
    Lets look at the requirements and how much guessing was really needed. I'm looking at it from a reasonably advanced player perspective, others wouldn't stand a chance anyway even with lower requirements.
    Tier 2:
    • Shaak - solid toon, but the least likely to have geared up. G11 was however enough for the event.
    • Kenobi - Very common to have g12. G13 was needed + a couple relic tiers. With a bit of hoarding that's very possible.
    • 3po - very common to have g12 and that was all that was needed
    • padme - event toon, very usefull, no guessing needed to have her at g12
    • Ahsoka - part of padme's team, so again no guessing need to have her at g12
    Tier 4:
    It's basically a grievous team, but assajj lead instead of grievous himself.
    Most long term players will have asajj at g12 and zeta'd due to NS being an all around usefull team. Granted, you'd probably want to g13 her and give her some relics.
    That leaves b2, magna, droideka and b1. All of them are needed at 16.5k GP for geo TB and are a very solid TW/GA team, so no guessing needed to have them at atleast a serviceable level. Now you do want to g13 b1 and throw some relics on that clanker. The droideka zeta probably isn't that common either, but you kinda want to equip it anyway.
    Assuming it's reasonable for a long term, focussed and just all around competative player to have a padme team, a NS team and a grievous team at atleast g12, there's really not that much guessing (if at all) or hoarding needed. G13 + relics on 3 characters (Kenobi, Asajj and b1) and a zeta on droideka. The only "guessing" was farming Shaak on time, but i mean, who didn't see that comming?
    Now some people will insist that it's all luck, but is it really?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Well, hoarding many gear 12, 12+, finishers, and maybe even some relic materials is harming your guild for geo tb.

How much of a difference in terms of rewards for the guild could it possibly make? Even if it results in less stars, it's still only a small decrease in rewards you'll only recieve every 2/3 weeks.
    The potential to unlock any and every new event character is worth more than that in my humble opinion. The guild also benefits if you're doing great in all non-guild modes this game has to offer.
    Also, I'm sure yu're gonna be happyl when even GAS gets platooned next month in LS Geo TB. ;)
  • leef wrote: »

A bigger stash solves all of you problems, but in this case it wasn't really needed.
    Lets look at the requirements and how much guessing was really needed. I'm looking at it from a reasonably advanced player perspective, others wouldn't stand a chance anyway even with lower requirements.
    Tier 2:
    • Shaak - solid toon, but the least likely to have geared up. G11 was however enough for the event.
    • Kenobi - Very common to have g12. G13 was needed + a couple relic tiers. With a bit of hoarding that's very possible.
    • 3po - very common to have g12 and that was all that was needed
    • padme - event toon, very usefull, no guessing needed to have her at g12
    • Ahsoka - part of padme's team, so again no guessing need to have her at g12
    Tier 4:
    It's basically a grievous team, but assajj lead instead of grievous himself.
    Most long term players will have asajj at g12 and zeta'd due to NS being an all around usefull team. Granted, you'd probably want to g13 her and give her some relics.
    That leaves b2, magna, droideka and b1. All of them are needed at 16.5k GP for geo TB and are a very solid TW/GA team, so no guessing needed to have them at atleast a serviceable level. Now you do want to g13 b1 and throw some relics on that clanker. The droideka zeta probably isn't that common either, but you kinda want to equip it anyway.
    Assuming it's reasonable for a long term, focussed and just all around competative player to have a padme team, a NS team and a grievous team at atleast g12, there's really not that much guessing (if at all) or hoarding needed. G13 + relics on 3 characters (Kenobi, Asajj and b1) and a zeta on droideka. The only "guessing" was farming Shaak on time, but i mean, who didn't see that comming?
    Now some people will insist that it's all luck, but is it really?

I did most of that. However, I geared geos first so they were all gear 12. I had padme at g11 with just a stun gun needed. Ashoka at g11 with two pieces needed. My shakti was only gear 9 because kryos are always needed but only 50 shards short (farming 15 tries a day from the beginning)

My droids were above the minimum for the tb missions but that is around gear 10 or 11 with zetas. Some g12 but there are a lot of g12 pieces that eat up crystals.

So the only thing, I could have done differently is to gear padme and droids before geos or not gear geos and hoard more crystals. Neither of those options are no brainer choices since geos give a better return than droids.

I'm not saying no one could make it ftp. Those that already had g12 geos from ships wouldn't make the same choices as I did. Just that they raised the hoarding requirements by a lot with this one. It was basically two legendary events in one. If I had focused all crystals on one team, it would have been easy to beat that part, but then the other team would be unprepared.

If this is the new normal, then fine. We'll just have to hoard more or just not be ready sometimes. I don't get the resources to g12 everything just in case and I get 1st in both arenas.

But is does seem like awfully steep requirements for a 5 star unlock.
  • I think a key part of this conversation that is being overlooked is you saying that you were getting first in both arenas. That’s 900 crystals a day which is almost 330,000 crystals a year. If you convert that to an equivalent value of $20 crystal packs, it’s worth almost $2400 a year. So yes, it’s f2p, but in many ways, it’s not. There’s only 24 people in each shard that can do that.

Many f2p players I know earn about 200-300 crystals a day from arenas. That’s about a $1550 to $1800 difference in crystals. 200-300 crystals a day f2p probably won’t get GAS.

Speaking for myself, I earn about 500 crystals a day from the arenas. If I hadn’t finished Rose, worked on DR/Malak, and worked on geos in the last 6 months, I could have met the requirements for this event. But that would be giving up a lot over a long period of time (I won’t argue Rose but the others are legitimate).

Not trying to beat up your argument too much, but there’s been a lot of GAS is definitely f2p threads popping up here. They’re not really kept in context though. Yes, it’s f2p, but it’s because you can bypass spending through arena crystals...it’s not just a farm smarter issue.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Nope. I do just fine in DS Geo, except in phase 4, in which nobody in my guild is doing well, so I'm not hurting them. And we're very close to LS Geo starting, in which the characters that just got geared for this event are going to help my guild, as will General Skywalker. If I wasn't a hoarder and had spent all that gear on other stuff previously, there's a good chance that other stuff wouldn't have been helpful in TB whatsoever.
    Either that or you had to have a stash way higher than mine.

I'm going to go with this.
  • IronCross
    934 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    What did .GG say the total number of unlocks was, 5700? So the paywall is a combination of everyone else plus those of the 5700 that shelled out money.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I think a key part of this conversation that is being overlooked is you saying that you were getting first in both arenas. That’s 900 crystals a day which is almost 330,000 crystals a year. If you convert that to an equivalent value of $20 crystal packs, it’s worth almost $2400 a year. So yes, it’s f2p, but in many ways, it’s not. There’s only 24 people in each shard that can do that.

Many f2p players I know earn about 200-300 crystals a day from arenas. That’s about a $1550 to $1800 difference in crystals. 200-300 crystals a day f2p probably won’t get GAS.

Speaking for myself, I earn about 500 crystals a day from the arenas. If I hadn’t finished Rose, worked on DR/Malak, and worked on geos in the last 6 months, I could have met the requirements for this event. But that would be giving up a lot over a long period of time (I won’t argue Rose but the others are legitimate).

Not trying to beat up your argument too much, but there’s been a lot of GAS is definitely f2p threads popping up here. They’re not really kept in context though. Yes, it’s f2p, but it’s because you can bypass spending through arena crystals...it’s not just a farm smarter issue.

This is basically the forum on event weeks in a nutshell. Players who can do it f2p keep yelling the event is f2p, players who can't keep yelling money grab and p2w.
    Both groups of players are right, but also wrong at the same time. I can tell you one thing though, it's much more fun to be able to yell an event is f2p.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    no such thing as a paywall in swgoh
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member

I had 50k, but I only had to spend 20k on the shards and gear, and that's even having had decided to take Droideka to G13 because I got sick of not getting it done at G12.

I farmed :alot: of G12, kyro, and finishers ahead of time, because it was obvious this day would be coming.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    JDIII wrote: »
    Hoarding is a problem too because all that stuff that’s being hoarded is stuff not being spent, so your falling behind on something or another

Yoda just watched you give up on the X-wing because "it's too big."
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • WWWarrick wrote: »
    Quick history

- Started in May 2017 and focused on ships because zetas seemed to be the in thing then.
    - Went hard at Phoenix to unlock Thrawn because I loved the character from lore. Got him at 5*.
    - Missed CLS unlock. Wasn’t even close. Got up to top 20 in squad with Tarkin lead with Thrawn, couldn’t sniff top 10.
    - Spent $50 on JTR, got to #1 and found my shard chat. Also getting 1 in fleets.
    - Found a good guild and got Traya relatively early. Focused on str teams and played most of them out for 1-3 place.
    - Missed JKR because I finished off some teams like FO and NS instead of farming OR hard. Oops. Still got to 1 with Traya lead, but got my butt kicked overnight and it cost some refreshes to get back up.
    - Got DR for free.
    - Got Malak for free.
    - Just unlocked General Skywalker for free because I was focusing on GTB squads for my guild, and GR toons for my fleet. Heard a rumor ShaakTi would be needed next big toon drop.

I definitely could have gotten JTR for free and JKR for free the first time around if I had farmed stuff I knew I should have instead of trying to fit something else in. You have to be pretty dedicated and focused, and the events have definitely gotten harder and harder, but they aren’t paywalled yet.

Not bragging because the attention and time I’ve given are pretty silly, but whatever - enjoyed the community, mostly enjoyed the game.

If you want to keep playing this game and play it at the upper levels, focus arena first and get 900 crystals a day, focus on placing high in the raids, try to use all your free and 50 crystal energy refreshes, never waste crystals on unnecessary arena or shop refreshes, farm marquees hard as soon as you can, and of course - MODS, MODS, MODS.

Maybe it’ll change, but as of this latest event - you CAN keep up for free and get all the toys.

Only 24 people per shard can get #1 daily.
  • TVF wrote: »

I had 50k, but I only had to spend 20k on the shards and gear, and that's even having had decided to take Droideka to G13 because I got sick of not getting it done at G12.

I farmed :alot: of G12, kyro, and finishers ahead of time, because it was obvious this day would be coming.

Fair enough. I could have hoarded more and/or focused on sep droids and padme more.

In hindsight, I spent a lot of g13 finishers on my arena teams and a couple of other characters to keep top spots in raids. I also, as I said geared geos before sep droids since they give wat shards in tb.

You could argue tgat these were mistakes, but the arenas are vital to keeping up the crystals so I couldn't risk not relicing then and being in the top 50 rather than top 5.

And as for choosing geos over droids, there was no way to tell they wouldn't be needed. And with another geo being the login character, the argument can be made that they were more likely to be needed than droids.

But congrats to anyone that got him ftp.
  • WWWarrick wrote: »
    Quick history

- Got DR for free.
    - Got Malak for free.

Only 24 people per shard can get #1 daily.

Technically that's not true. There are some players who have payouts on the half hour. Not sure how, but I do know that's the case. But in many cases players have to "rotate" #1 payouts, so averaging 900 crystals a day isn't realistic.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I think a key part of this conversation that is being overlooked is you saying that you were getting first in both arenas. That’s 900 crystals a day which is almost 330,000 crystals a year. If you convert that to an equivalent value of $20 crystal packs, it’s worth almost $2400 a year. So yes, it’s f2p, but in many ways, it’s not. There’s only 24 people in each shard that can do that.

It’s not like I didn’t lay out all the requirements to pull it off as F2P...for some context. It wasn’t a farm smarter post by any means. It was meant to be - for anyone wondering how an f2p can keep getting legendaries and epics first drop: this is what it takes.

1/1 or close in arena, great guild with good TB rewards, lots of top3’s in str, and discipline in not wasting crystals. The pace of that type of player, in my experience, seems to be where the events are metered at.

Also was saying you definitely don’t have to pay to become that player. You just have to be a nut job addict who has 10 alarms set each day for various payouts and refreshes, and like 3 hours a day to play out all the raids and events.

Hmm, in hindsight and terms of the opportunity cost of my time, it appears I’ve paid dearly haha.