Good try, but a FTP is still alive

Replies

• Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    capifico22 wrote: »
    In 2018, super dedicated f2p could compete at the highest levels, that is simply not the case in the 2nd half of 2019.
    I'm doing better right now than I was in 2018. My first time hitting the squad arena leader boards came after the introduction of relics, and I made kyber last GAC.

Thanks to the match making system. I'm a f2p who has also made kyber every time. I've beaten the new whales I get matched up with.

But I have no doubt if I got matched up with a true kraken from ti or maw with however many r7s they would have, and 500 more 6es, and 50-100 more 20+ speed mods, I'd have no chance.
  • capifico22 wrote: »
    In 2018, super dedicated f2p could compete at the highest levels, that is simply not the case in the 2nd half of 2019.

The latter part of your statement is simply false.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    If someone keeps guessing right though, at some point it's not actually a guess.

While that's a wonderfully glib answer, that's paper-thin logic - even for you. ;)

Unless someone has "inside information" (let's not debate this here), everyone is guessing to an extent until requirements for a particular event are actually announced. Sure, there can be some well thought out and educated "guesses" - but, since CG has virtually changed the rules for every event (Malak being one of the first to require characters of a specific power level, GAS being the first character to ever require ships, etc.) it's still guessing.

How's that paper-thin logic though?
    If you're prepared for anything and everthing, there's little to no guessing involved, even if they virtually change the rules for every event.
    I would also like to point out that for this particular event it wasn't necessary to "guess" the requirements, if you're on top of your game you would have all the required characters. No one is saying that they knew this event would require these toons (aside from shaak).
    Liath wrote: »
    If someone keeps guessing right though, at some point it's not actually a guess.

While that's a wonderfully glib answer, that's paper-thin logic - even for you. ;)

Unless someone has "inside information" (let's not debate this here), everyone is guessing to an extent until requirements for a particular event are actually announced. Sure, there can be some well thought out and educated "guesses" - but, since CG has virtually changed the rules for every event (Malak being one of the first to require characters of a specific power level, GAS being the first character to ever require ships, etc.) it's still guessing.

Perhaps the point is that if you're prepared for anything then you don't actually have to guess right at all.

This, this, and all day this.

People just don't want to hear it. But it's true. All of it.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Liath wrote: »

Perhaps the point is that if you're prepared for anything then you don't actually have to guess right at all.

My point is simply that the average f2p player cannot reasonably be "prepared for anything". Are there exceptions? Absolutely (I know...#882). I'd be curious as to what the number f2p players (and I mean real f2p players...not people who identify as f2p players even though they spend money or have spent money...) who obtained GAS.

Even as a minnow ($8 in 3 years) I didn't qualify for GAS and had to wait for the second coming of Malak. I did get Padme to 7* on first release. But find that there is often a tension between helping my guild, doing well in arena and GAC and hoarding to be "prepared for anything". And honestly, I'd rather err on the sides of helping my guild and doing well in GAC and arena - which is why my Eta-2 sits at 5* still. Since ships still aren't a thing in GAC yet, and my fleet arena team finishes 1st daily even without Eta-2 higher stars, that was the one thing I could ignore. At the time the event dropped, it was only the Eta-2 that made it a no-go (and partially because CG has never used ships for character events).

Many (most?) f2p players have similar stories - although they may involve a different "wrong guess" - many have the Eta-2 but were woefully short on Shaak (I had double refreshed her node since she became farmable) or didn't have their Sep droids geared up. Or find themselves in difficult fleet or squad shards where it's difficult to hoard crystals efficiently.

I fully understand that there are those who can do those things - but that doesn't necessarily apply to the majority of f2p players. And in fact, most of the player base clearly missed the boat on GAS - including whales.

So while the TVF clan might all agree that it is possible that f2p players can always be "prepared for anything", while just over 5k of the entire player base got GAS this past weekend - and many of those unable are people who spend, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I think we have a different definition of the highest levels.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I'd be curious as to what the number f2p players (and I mean real f2p players...not people who identify as f2p players even though they spend money or have spent money...) who obtained GAS.

Me too, I want a new hashtag. ;)

I have never once claimed that all or most f2p can do what I do. My issue is only with those who insist it's impossible, or that it requires "being lucky" and "guessing right."
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    I have a clan, yay!

@CG_SBCrumb we're going to need a new in-game title for this. Thanks.
  • TVF wrote: »
    I have a clan, yay!

Dude....it's in your signature. ;):D
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    I have a clan, yay!

That's my guild. My clan is something different. Apparently.

I prefer to think of us as equal members of the CG Defense Force though.
    I have a clan, yay!

I must have missed the poll for the name choice....

• TVF
    36489 posts Member
    I have a clan, yay!

You have to be in the Defense Force to have a say in the Defense Force.
    I have a clan, yay!

Brah...

• TVF
    36489 posts Member
    I have a clan, yay!

Brah...

giphy.gif
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    I have a clan, yay!

Brah...

giphy.gif

Make sure you don't let the gif cycle 3 times...
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Why can't I like that post more than once? It's unfair, to be honest.
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    I have a clan, yay!

Brah...

giphy.gif

Funny thing is, that was my first thought too. :D ..."Great minds think alike"...and ours too!

• Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    I don’t think any event that runs for the first time is possible for an average F2P player

An average F2P is someone who gets a toon on the second pass of the event imo and I think most F2P fall in this balloon (hence, average). I’m against claims that F2P or dedicated F2P cannot get X toon or outlandish stuff like that
  • Liath wrote: »
    I'd be curious as to what the number f2p players (and I mean real f2p players...not people who identify as f2p players even though they spend money or have spent money...) who obtained GAS.

Me too, I want a new hashtag. ;)

I have never once claimed that all or most f2p can do what I do. My issue is only with those who insist it's impossible, or that it requires "being lucky" and "guessing right."

While it’s wouldn't account for a players whole set of circumstances, there is certainly luck that is involved in how competitive your shard is, (I.e. when you joined, whether the top players in your shard are willing to have new folks mix into the rotation)

That could very well be the difference between regular top 10 to 20 finishes and only being top 50. That’s hundreds of shards a week relatively equal players are potentially missing out on. I would imagine that’s probably a large source of aggravation for FTP folks who feel like they’re never able to keep up like some folks do.

For me personally though, I enjoy hovering right around 200 in arena and mainly use this game to get my daily fix of Star Wars. I’ve never been too upset with having to wait for new toons (your mine next time DR!)
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    I have a clan, yay!

Brah...

giphy.gif

By the way, this is the best post I’ve seen this entire month
  • Dont know if there is a definition of average ftp.
    1) have access to top reward in the two arena ( some shards are really more competitive / friendly than others)
    2) are dedicated to farm them every day
    3) have found a guild at a good level to get gear
    4) maximize the value of the earned purple by long term farming
    5) anticipate prerequisite for event and farm them
    6) find the minimum gear/team to succeed.

If you miss just one point , you re averaged I suppose
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    The average f2p player is basically a total noob and shouldn't even get mentioned in a thread about unlocking event characters the first go around. I mean, what are we talking about here? over 60% of all players (assuming atleast 20% are p2p) unlocking an event character on the first go?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Ultra wrote: »
    I’m against claims that F2P or dedicated F2P cannot get X toon or outlandish stuff like that
    Agreed. The fact that at least 1 f2p player (and sometimes many - or at least 800) has succeeded in every first release event is proof. I'm also against claims that any dedicated f2p player can always be "prepared for anything and everything" and outlandish stuff like that in the other direction. But again, I think we are splitting hairs here. Or splitting hares, which is much messier.

• capifico22 wrote: »
    I think we have a different definition of the highest levels.
    Having unreasonably high standards of performance that a small and finite number of people can possibly achieve them paid or no is not a fair condemnation of the game.

I'm free to play. Since the advent of relics, I've gone from top 500 to top 50. Some days even top 20. I finish at that level in fleet as well. I'm a four million GP player with every unit in the game except Wat, General Skywalker, and Negotiator. I'm a heavy hitter in a 175 mil GP guild, one of the top contributors in Geo TB and TW. I consistently get top 10 in hSith.

My every reasonably measure, I am doing very well. Am I number one? No. But that's not important. And there are a lot of choices I could have made better. Fact remains I'm doing very well.

F2P are doing fine. If your performance ain't great, it ain't because of whales. It ain't because CG is being unfair. It's because of your own poor decisions.
    Still not a he.
  • My statement had nothing to do with f2p doing "fine". Everyone is just injecting their own feelings into their responses, none of which have proven what I said to be false in the least bit.

If we all want to go on tangents, how about this:

cczs8vnxt0cf.png

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    capifico22 wrote: »
    I think we have a different definition of the highest levels.
    Having unreasonably high standards of performance that a small and finite number of people can possibly achieve them paid or no is not a fair condemnation of the game.

I'm free to play. Since the advent of relics, I've gone from top 500 to top 50. Some days even top 20. I finish at that level in fleet as well. I'm a four million GP player with every unit in the game except Wat, General Skywalker, and Negotiator. I'm a heavy hitter in a 175 mil GP guild, one of the top contributors in Geo TB and TW. I consistently get top 10 in hSith.

My every reasonably measure, I am doing very well. Am I number one? No. But that's not important. And there are a lot of choices I could have made better. Fact remains I'm doing very well.

F2P are doing fine. If your performance ain't great, it ain't because of whales. It ain't because CG is being unfair. It's because of your own poor decisions.

While i can agree that you're doing very well by every reasonable measure, I personally wouldn't consider that "the highest levels".
    I do still wonder what @capifico22 's definition of "the highest levels" is and what makes him think f2p players can't compete there anymore in 2019. Mainly because every mode you can compete in with others is based on GP, time played or the guild you're in and it's definetely still possible to rank high in all of those eventhough you're f2p.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    So many labels, so many meaningless labels.
  • leef wrote: »
    While i can agree that you're doing very well by every reasonable measure, I personally wouldn't consider that "the highest levels".
    My point isn't that I'm at "the highest levels." But rather that "the highest levels" is a nonsense term to No True Scotsman away any level of performance by an F2P so that complaints about the plight of the F2P become untouchable as no accomplishment is ever good enough.
    Still not a he.
  • Successfully competing in a top6 TW guild, and being able to compete in raids in said guilds. Something that last year f2p players could do, something that they really cannot do right now.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    It's funny how many people define success differently in this game. Almost as if there's no way to "win" the game. I'm willing to bet most people wouldn't have led with being in a "top TW guild" and especially how you do in a raid in said guild, which at this point is trivial thanks to how fast the raid goes. But oh well. Guess I'm not a top player now. Darn.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    My point isn't that I'm at "the highest levels." But rather that "the highest levels" is a nonsense term to No True Scotsman away any level of performance by an F2P so that complaints about the plight of the F2P become untouchable as no accomplishment is ever good enough.

That depends on how you define "the highest levels" and in which context you're using it.