Gear shop for toons and 5* unlock does bad things to banthas

I hate 5* unlock and putting toons in there that locks it down for months upon months. I think this is one of the most annoying decisions in this game since before you could sim that bastage child of the devil and a derp-eyed donkey aka the Galactic War.

Are you going to keep adding toons in there? I used to look forward to TB's and now it's another reason to be annoyed as I eke my way towards 7* Malak and then I can start saving it up so I can eke my way to 7* GAS. I especially love seeing great gear pieces I'd love to buy pop in there while I just sigh and purchase another 5 Malak shards. So fun! You guys really nailed it there! Woo boy! /end sarcasm (for now).

Could someone at least try to explain why this is supposed to be a good thing for the game or why I should enjoy this particular avenue to get a character? Why does CG think this is a good idea? What is the strategy for this and why is it supposed to make the game more fun? Is fun even part of the strategy anymore? I don't want to hate this game. Is there some reason why this should be good? Help me understand. I'm begging you.

Replies

• Options
    If it makes any kind of sense, I'd actually be happy to hear it.
  • Options
    I’m sure the talking heads will chime in soon with a well reasoned response pre-approved by CG for publishing on this forum.

Most of those got exterminated because of this situation going on for Malak.
  • Options
    I hate 5* unlock and putting toons in there that locks it down for months upon months. ...
    Are you going to keep adding toons in there?

This is the question that needs an answer.

I unlocked Malak on the 2nd go. I had no GET saved (I needed to spend it on gear to get Malak at all). For whatever reason, I hadn't bothered to calculate just how much GET was required, but also when I was in the process of gearing up for Malak was still before we knew anything about how GeoTB was going to crash GET income.

So I find out that it's going to take many, many months to get the 68k GET and I just refused. I bought zero shards.

People can talk now about how allowing easy access to Malak shards #s 151-300 cheapens GET spending, but they don't mention that the passage of time devalues Malak shards #s 151-300.

Those shards literally aren't worth as much any more b/c the game moves on, the meta moves on, Padme and Grievous have given us counters that weren't available when the toon was released. If you got Malak the first time and spent 68k GET on him, you literally got more for your currency than anyone who spends GET on Malak shards now because you also got to dominate Arena and a number of guaranteed wins in Grand Arena and a bunch of TW victories and more Territory Points than you would have gotten without him, etc. etc.

We can spend GET now and get Territory Points going forward, but we can never spend those GET on Malak shards for the opportunity to dominate PvP.

Malak shards are worth less now than they were when the toon dropped.

The ONLY way to get full value for your 68k GET is to hoard currency until you manage to snag an Epic Confrontation character on the first pass, then used your stored GET for that character.

If you spend your saved GET on Malak now you're a chump chasing the glory of a meta that has come and gone.

So tell me: what is the value of my GET? Will it ever buy me a 1st-pass meta toon again, since I didn't get GAS or Malak on the first pass? Because if not, I can just spend on gear, and any Epic Confrontations can go sniff socks.

We need to know if this store is going to be a never ending shard-sinkhole or if it is intended for gear and toons will stop showing up there.

I personally thought that getting now-devalued Malak shards on the 3rd pass was a brilliant way to do what they said that they would do: preserve the advantage of spending money for the whales while allowing newer players easier access to end-game content.

It is disappointing to see that they did not intend what would obviously have been a good change in the game.