These arena shard chats are extremely annoying

Replies

• PAULYSHORE
    63 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    LynnYoda wrote: »
    its simple. contact someone from the chat and ask for a copy of their payout times, show you aint hitting anyones climb and respect their payouts. if your still around in the next meta you will most likely get invited into the chat and have an easy life.
    on the other hand if you want to keep messing with other peoples payout then why come here crying when they mess with yours?
    its a 2 way street either show your willing or dont

So if somebody is better than you just go crying to your friends and gang up on them 30 to 1 to make it all better. Duly noted. I think we are all missing the point and that is I don't want to be a part of a shard chat, at the same time I also don't want to be stonewalled for choosing not to be in one. Not a huge fan of the you can't beat em join me mentality.
  • PAULYSHORE wrote: »
    Devian wrote: »
    PAULYSHORE wrote: »
    I consistently get pushed back to the mid 30s and have to fight my way back at some obscure hour and waste a refresh just to get back up to the top.
    P.S. so you basically constantly refresh and **** other people when climbing not at your PO? Good luck getting on everyone's white list XD

Not sure you have the capability to read the entire post. I moved my payout to 5am which is the aforementioned obscure hour. The only time I do climb is right around my payout other than that I don't touch anyone all day. Your previous comment also doesn't make sense. The post suggested having another stable source of crystals, not completely removing them from arena and leaving everyone with nothing as that literally doesn't even make sense. I fail to see a valid point presented on either end.

You know 5 AM is 5pm in other places right?
  • Does anyone have any cheese? Anyone?

PAULYSHORE has the 🍷 covered
    I consistently get pushed back to the mid 30s and have to fight my way back at some obscure hour and waste a refresh just to get back up to the top.
    P.S. so you basically constantly refresh and **** other people when climbing not at your PO? Good luck getting on everyone's white list XD

Not sure you have the capability to read the entire post. I moved my payout to 5am which is the aforementioned obscure hour. The only time I do climb is right around my payout other than that I don't touch anyone all day. Your previous comment also doesn't make sense. The post suggested having another stable source of crystals, not completely removing them from arena and leaving everyone with nothing as that literally doesn't even make sense. I fail to see a valid point presented on either end.

You could replace the numbers with any time from any time zone. The point was I recognized I must have been hitting someone in the shard chat at the payout I was at so I tried to choose a payout at the completely opposite time in hopes of avoiding doing so. In the end that shouldn't really be something you have to worry about because arena shouldn't be about a group of people ganging up to keep anyone else not in the chat from those top spots.
  • Does anyone have any cheese? Anyone?

PAULYSHORE has the 🍷 covered

Glad you have such thought provoking insight on the situation. Your addition to the conversation has truly been beneficial to the community. Thank you for not lowering your standards to the rest of these Internet trolls.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

You could replace the numbers with any time from any time zone. The point was I recognized I must have been hitting someone in the shard chat at the payout I was at so I tried to choose a payout at the completely opposite time in hopes of avoiding doing so. In the end that shouldn't really be something you have to worry about because arena shouldn't be about a group of people ganging up to keep anyone else not in the chat from those top spots.

Yes, but you might have just put yourself in the middle of a different group’s payout time.
  • Liath wrote: »

Yes, but you might have just put yourself in the middle of a different group’s payout time.

Understood, hence the frustration. Essentially you are forced to join one of these chats which is exactly what this post is about.
  • sorry of course your opinion is totally correct and unarguable and everyone else is wrong.
    you have been given solutions to your "problem" but you refuse to accept it.
    ok you dont want to be part of the chat fine thats your choice
    the fact still remains contact them and ask for a copy of payout times, avoid anyone who has a similar climb time and you wont have a problem anymore AND you dont have to join them.
    simple solutions are almost always they easiest to ignore.... you ignore that solution thats your choice to do so.
    you might want to remember that for the past 4 years these people have worked on meta teams and been at the top all this time but now you build 1 team and expect to have a clear path to 1st no matter who you hit. these people have worked together for 4 years and when someone comes and tries attacking anyone they want yes they will gang up if needed. then again do they even know you changed your payout time, they could just be thinking that you are the one messing with others for the sake of it.
    as i said its still a 2 way street try getting off your high horse and actually speak to them you might find they are actuall decent humans that just want an easy life..... a bit like yourself.....
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

Understood, hence the frustration. Essentially you are forced to join one of these chats which is exactly what this post is about.

If you want to reap the benefits of being part of a club then you have to join said club. Shocking I’m sure.

Another way of looking at it is that by not joining you're helping CG. Every extra battle you have to do by not joining is one closer to having to refresh. Every hour that goes by with no payout for the top spot(s) (because folks were battling back and forth at other ranks or ran out of battles) is money in their coffers.

• LynnYoda wrote: »
    sorry of course your opinion is totally correct and unarguable and everyone else is wrong.
    the fact still remains contact them and ask for a copy of payout times, avoid anyone who has a similar climb time and you wont have a problem anymore AND you dont have to join them.
    simple solutions are almost always they easiest to ignore.... you ignore that solution thats your choice to do so.
    you might want to remember that for the past 4 years these people have worked on meta teams and been at the top all this time but now you build 1 team and expect to have a clear path to 1st no matter who you hit. these people have worked together for 4 years and when someone comes and tries attacking anyone they want yes they will gang up if needed. then again do they even know you changed your payout time, they could just be thinking that you are the one messing with others for the sake of it.
    as i said its still a 2 way street try getting off your high horse and actually speak to them you might find they are actuall decent humans that just want an easy life..... a bit like yourself.....

The top end of my roster is equivalent to these dudes up top at 5mil gp. I started working on grievous and droids way before the first rework ever came out. Got padme 7 stars the first time the event came out free to play which has put me at a significant advantage this year with all the clone wars content. Your comment made a lot of assumptions, many of which are wrong. The tone you took was condescending at best, and the fact that you've reacted with such hostility to a simple counter point is alarming. I have both Revans, malak, high end padme and grievous as well as an almost completely g12 separatist faction. I've been grinding just as long as these other guys, to say I expect anything other than a fair shot is absurd.
  • PAULYSHORE
    63 posts Member
    edited October 2019

If you want to reap the benefits of being part of a club then you have to join said club. Shocking I’m sure.

Again squad arena isn't a social club and was never marketed as one. Im not being hypocritical, I'm saying there shouldn't be a club in the first place.
    Again squad arena isn't a social club and was never marketed as one. Im not being hypocritical, I'm saying there shouldn't be a club in the first place.

I changed my payout to try to make sure I wasn't hitting anybody at their normal payout times as I assumed the reason I was getting pushed back was because I must have been hitting somebody and they decided they didn't like it.
    Your second quote is not only the reason there are arena shard chats (to accomplish precisely what you were trying to by changing your payout) but also explains why they exist. Because it's almost impossible for everyone on active arena shard to know when everyone else's payout it unless they are all in communication with each other.
    Honestly, my fleet shard chat (yes, those exist too) isn't much of a social club. It's more just a list of payout times. Occasionally, in both chats, you actually learn strategy and things that are helpful as well.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    sorry of course your opinion is totally correct and unarguable and everyone else is wrong.

The top end of my roster is equivalent to these dudes up top at 5mil gp. I started working on grievous and droids way before the first rework ever came out. Got padme 7 stars the first time the event came out free to play which has put me at a significant advantage this year with all the clone wars content. Your comment made a lot of assumptions, many of which are wrong. The tone you took was condescending at best, and the fact that you've reacted with such hostility to a simple counter point is alarming. I have both Revans, malak, high end padme and grievous as well as an almost completely g12 separatist faction. I've been grinding just as long as these other guys, to say I expect anything other than a fair shot is absurd.

So since you've been playing from almost the beginning, you know how arena works. What changed and prompted you to moan about existence of chats now?

You told us about what you did, we told you what you are missing and other options are. Then you steered it to if you can't get it, it shouldn't exist. Ok. I'm sure the 10001th topic about the subject with no new revelations will do it.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Arena isn’t a social club. Neither is the job market or academic classes. But there are social clubs that spring up around those things that provide their members with benefits in those areas. If you were in a field where people in study groups get an advantage from working together and as a result tend to get better grades than people who didn’t join them, would you complain to the school that study groups should be banned because you don’t want to be “forced” to join one?
  • No_Try wrote: »

So since you've been playing from almost the beginning, you know how arena works. What changed and prompted you to moan about existence of chats now?

You told us about what you did, we told you what you are missing and other options are. Then you steered it to if you can't get it, it shouldn't exist. Ok. I'm sure the 10001th topic about the subject with no new revelations will do it.

The only other option that been presented is to join these shard chats, the whole point of this post was saying I hate these chats and have been actively avoiding doing so. It's not that I can't get into the shard chat, it's that I don't want to participate in these shenanigans. If you look in the original post I mentioned that this subject has already been hit several times on the forums. I also mentioned that I was just expressing my own personal frustrations to the situation, never said that I had an effective solution just wished the situation didn't exist.
  • PAULYSHORE
    63 posts Member
    edited October 2019

Arena isn’t a social club. Neither is the job market or academic classes. But there are social clubs that spring up around those things that provide their members with benefits in those areas. If you were in a field where people in study groups get an advantage from working together and as a result tend to get better grades than people who didn’t join them, would you complain to the school that study groups should be banned because you don’t want to be “forced” to join one?

These people aren't discussing mod strategies or ways to legitimately get ahead. They are just ganging up on people who have found ways to beat them legitimately. The intent behind the scenarios presented is extremely different, one is promoting improvement of the whole while the other is effectively punishing those who have figured out a way to do it on their own.You look at the top of these arenas and almost everybody has the same mods gear and zetas. Only difference is who you are friends with.
  • PAULYSHORE
    63 posts Member
    edited October 2019
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »

The only other option that been presented is to join these shard chats, the whole point of this post was saying I hate these chats and have been actively avoiding doing so. It's not that I can't get into the shard chat, it's that I don't want to participate in these shenanigans. If you look in the original post I mentioned that this subject has already been hit several times on the forums. I also mentioned that I was just expressing my own personal frustrations to the situation, never said that I had an effective solution just wished the situation didn't exist.

I think your other options have been laid out pretty clearly by various posters. You don't have to join the chat, you have to act as if you are in the chat. Basically everyone pushing for the top daily are doing the same thing. They are getting it done with most effortless and least time consuming way as possible. Respect the same priorities everyone does and you'll blend through.

While the mode is disguised as the main competetive mode on launch, it's design fails to make that possible. So yeah, it has always been a cooperative race for free cg crystals. Arena in it's current design being truly FFA would have been a horror show.

Lastly I doubt cg will fully shift out crystals from the mode as people are imagining. Whatever happens, until then this is what we have. Adapt.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

These people aren't discussing mod strategies or ways to legitimately get ahead. They are just ganging up on people who have found ways to beat them legitimately. The intent behind the scenarios presented is extremely different, one is promoting improvement of the whole while the other is effectively punishing those who have figured out a way to do it on their own.

Shard chats don’t exist for the purpose of ganging up on others. They exist for the mutual benefit of everyone involved by allowing people to climb to their payouts without interfering with others trying to do the same. That other people outside the chat who aren’t cooperating to everyone’s benefit get knocked back more is a means to protecting themselves. And even if that person truly isn’t interfering with payouts (unlikely since he probably doesn’t even know them), it’s unsurprising that people given a choice in whom to hit will choose someone they don’t know over someone they are friendly with.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    Improve your social skills.

Should we change the name of the game to Galaxy of Circle Jerking then? I'm supposed to pander to this type of behavior when I don't support it? This isn't instagram or Facebook. They built a separate mode in game if you want to team up with other to take people down, why take the game mode that is supposed to prove your capability as an individual and turn it into a social contest?

Why did you change your pay-out if the game mode is supposed to prove your capability as an individual? Seems to me you just wanted to be the only individual battling at that time...

I changed my payout to try to make sure I wasn't hitting anybody at their normal payout times as I assumed the reason I was getting pushed back was because I must have been hitting somebody and they decided they didn't like it.

Exactly my point. You can't say you dislike shardchats because it's supposed to be a FFA contest, but justify changing pay-out slot to face less competition. It's all the same.
    Like i said before, before shardchats arena was mayham. Getting pushed back, sniped and locked out was normal. Back then you couldn't change pay-out, so you were forced to battle the same players for the same spot every day.

You are really confused aren't you? You are trying to say that me moving my payout time is the exact same behavior that they are showing which is incorrect. I was forced to move because I have people around me who are collaborating to push me out. I didn't proactively contact other players to try to stonewall somebody from a payout. I am facing an equal amount of competition whether my payout is at 5am or at 5pm, the only thing that changed was whether me getting my payout was affecting someone else getting theirs at their chosen time.

you're missing the point i'm making. It's not exactly the same, but the goal for doing both of those things is exactly the same, so the argument that the game mode is supposed to prove your capability as an individual is a bit hypocritical. Competition is not the same at every pay-out, it's as simple as that. The competition at crouded pay-outs is far more fierce. Having a pay-out all to yourself makes arena a whole lot easier (read: less/no sniping, higher average rank).
    Players who reach top ranks for the first time without ever having experienced being high ranked without there being a shardchat have no frame of reference. It's entirely possible that the shardchat on your leaderboard is a bunch of "bullies", but it wouldn't be all rainbows and sunshine if there was no shardchat at all. Random players sniping all over the place outside of their own pay-out would most likely be common place on the majority of leaderboards if there was no shardchat. After a certain point you start realizing that it's better to just leave eachother alone, not waste attempts etc, that's when the shardchat is born.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Shard chats organizing payouts is just another way of cheating for weak players with expensive habits. Been like this since mmo's came out. Maybe not shard chats obviously but the weak always band together, usually sycophanticly around on er two strong people. Nothing new.

Be nice if this got fixed but then too many of our millenial user base would cry. XD
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Shard chats organizing payouts is just another way of cheating for weak players with expensive habits. Been like this since mmo's came out. Maybe not shard chats obviously but the weak always band together, usually sycophanticly around on er two strong people. Nothing new.

Be nice if this got fixed but then too many of our millenial user base would cry. XD

i take it you know this from first hand experience right? haha
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Shard chats organizing payouts is just another way of cheating for weak players with expensive habits. Been like this since mmo's came out. Maybe not shard chats obviously but the weak always band together, usually sycophanticly around on er two strong people. Nothing new.

In actuality it's the strongest players in arena that are in the guild chat. It's so that the paying players don't waste crystals refreshing to keep beating each other back and don't have to waste time doing so. Also, many of the strongest rosters (i.e. whales) are adults with jobs, so they don't like to have to play arena for 2 hours right before payout to try to prevent being sniped by someone who is just being a **** or by some f2p with a GG nuke team with 2 or 3 g11 droids in tow, cheesing it's way through a top 20 full of full R7 DR/Malak squads. Sure, there are some weaker players that benefit from being part of the rotation, but for the most part, shards chats are pretty much the opposite of what you (and the OP) describe.

Honestly, the people that usually take issue with shard chats are the weaker players in the shard whose rosters can't consistently compete and that just now found a counter that can get them in to the top 20 - but after 3 years of ignoring everyone's payout, sniping and generally being annoying, they are shocked to find out that some of the players don't like that kind of behavior.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • I've tried several times to join my shard chat and they just said "we don't like your roster". I do have one friend I've made that has the same payout as me and he is in the shard chat. I got first yesterday and apparently I **** off someone in that shard chat. The dude told me that the shard chat likes to reserve the top 10 all day long for just their people. Screw that. It comes down to that people are just jerks sometimes. I'll still push my way up as best as I can.
  • mesa176750 wrote: »
    I've tried several times to join my shard chat and they just said "we don't like your roster". I do have one friend I've made that has the same payout as me and he is in the shard chat. I got first yesterday and apparently I **** off someone in that shard chat. The dude told me that the shard chat likes to reserve the top 10 all day long for just their people. Screw that. It comes down to that people are just jerks sometimes. I'll still push my way up as best as I can.

That is true - I realize that some shard chats are run by people that are....well, less than ideal. It's good that you made friends with someone that shares your payout - just keep being nice to him and chatting with him and maybe the "less than ideal" people will come around.

Honestly, it is difficult for crowded payout times and there has to be some degree of discernment. Like I said earlier, not every player who shows up with clone team, or GG nuke or CLS/Thrawn team that can beat the meta can be worked in. Sometimes, it's just a numbers game. That's why the ability to change payout times is helpful as well.

Trying to find out if there is a viable time zone payout you can switch to that might be less congested is also an option.

These people aren't discussing mod strategies or ways to legitimately get ahead. They are just ganging up on people who have found ways to beat them legitimately. The intent behind the scenarios presented is extremely different, one is promoting improvement of the whole while the other is effectively punishing those who have figured out a way to do it on their own.You look at the top of these arenas and almost everybody has the same mods gear and zetas. Only difference is who you are friends with.

You assume they're ganging up because you're getting hit to the 30s over the course of the day. Ganging up would be a coordinated effort to chain you back when you're trying to climb. What you're describing is pretty standard behavior -- if I'm rank 17 and I have two teams at 13 and 12 that I can equally beat, I'm likely to choose the one that isn't in my shard chat. Why? Not because I'm trying to gang up on someone, but because why should I make things harder for the person who is willing to be cooperative and participate in an activity that results in higher net crystals for the members of the chat?

And you don't know what they're discussing if you're not in the chat. We discuss mods and strategies in mine. We discuss TB and other things as well. My biggest opponent from the snipe-and-lock days before my chat started and I talk regularly about all kinds of things including TW strategies, mods, and team comps. We test teams against each other, since there's no sandbox mode to try things.
  • Straegen
    194 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Often times weaker droids surrounding a strong GG are actually far more difficult to fight than strong ones. Droids with more health allow time to focus GG. The other guys "weaker" team may in fact be a much more difficult fight to control.
  • 7AnimalMother
    2053 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Crystals in arena is the backbone of this game. For the sake of the longevity of this game.. it needs to continue on.

Yup. If you think the current quitting trend due to relics/gas/malak was bad, watch what happens if they ever make good on the promise to move crystal income from arenas to GAC.
  • Shard chats aren’t cheating:

It’s working together for an end goal of collecting the most crystals you possibly can to continue to build our rosters.

My chat accepts new people. Those that climb and continuously hit people of the chat w/o contacting us do get targeted back.

If you’re new to the top20 and use a one trick pony team to beat the most expensive team ever created (SithEmpire)....then you will get knocked back.

Don’t take it personal....many shard chats have people that’s been getting rank 1 for years. Some aren’t so welcoming to new players and some like mine are.

My advice:contact the people you see in top10.

Also build your roster stronger. It’s important to have more than a one trick pony team.