Something of Note From ESB

Being sick, I watched the OT back to back to back. I caught some things I hadn’t before. For example, when Vader is trying to get Like to join him after he’s cut Luke’s hand off, he tells him, ”Luke, you can destroy the Emperor. He has foreseen this. It is your destiny!”

Don’t get me wrong, I was excited that the emperor was coming back in Ep IX. But there was also a small part of me that was a little worried Abrams was doing it for the wrong reasons. Hearing that line though, I’m pretty convinced this was the plan all along.

What do you think?

Replies

• I would be surprised if Abrams has even watched the OT.
    I don't think Luke will be destroying Palpatine. Because no one ever really dies.
  • Being sick, I watched the OT back to back to back. I caught some things I hadn’t before. For example, when Vader is trying to get Like to join him after he’s cut Luke’s hand off, he tells him, ”Luke, you can destroy the Emperor. He has foreseen this. It is your destiny!”

Don’t get me wrong, I was excited that the emperor was coming back in Ep IX. But there was also a small part of me that was a little worried Abrams was doing it for the wrong reasons. Hearing that line though, I’m pretty convinced this was the plan all along.

What do you think?

Did the emporer forsee it the way snoke saw kylo killing rey?
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    Being sick, I watched the OT back to back to back. I caught some things I hadn’t before. For example, when Vader is trying to get Like to join him after he’s cut Luke’s hand off, he tells him, ”Luke, you can destroy the Emperor. He has foreseen this. It is your destiny!”

What do you think?

Did the emporer forsee it the way snoke saw kylo killing rey?

665.jpg
  • Lol
  • I got a cramp, I got a cramp, no wait, maybe not.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    I would be surprised if Abrams has even watched the OT.
    I don't think Luke will be destroying Palpatine. Because no one ever really dies.

Yep, he never saw A New Hope, and so he just happened to remake it.
  • Remember, Kylo Ren will finish what Darth Vader started. He will finish off Darth Sidious in Episode 9.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

What do you think?

Good catch - but Disney favours their hollow and poorly written characters over the classics, and they will "win" the day, sadly.

Remember - no good writing in this ST, and TROS will be no different - I have foreseen this!
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    I am 100% certain that Lucas never actually planned for this many additional movies when he was making the original trilogy.

The big giveaway to me was always in A New Hope, when Obi-Wan and Darth Vader are dueling. Obi-Wan addresses him as Darth ("Only a master of evil, Darth") as though it's his first name. Later on they just sorta went "oh uh, it's a title, yeah totally" but nobody ever addresses another Sith as "Darth" without the rest of their Sith-name anywhere else in the lore.

As for why it started with "Episode IV," they were aping really old sci-fi serials that Lucas presumably grew up being a fan of, which would frequently have many episodes and a thus had recaps similar to the now-famous title crawl at the beginning.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Jarvind wrote: »
    I am 100% certain that Lucas never actually planned for this many additional movies when he was making the original trilogy.

Honestly, that makes sense with the way the movie is laid out. However, and I’m just relaying what I’ve learned over the years (from Rebel Force Radio, Wondery’s Inside Star Wars, interviews, etc.) he actually did want it to be more than one movie. It was such a pain getting Star Wars (ANH) off the ground nobody expected what would eventually happen after it premiered to actually happen. When it became the hit that it did, he was like awesome cause there’s more.

Granted, he does tend to contradict himself every once in a while.
  • Jarvind wrote: »

The big giveaway to me was always in A New Hope, when Obi-Wan and Darth Vader are dueling. Obi-Wan addresses him as Darth ("Only a master of evil, Darth") as though it's his first name. Later on they just sorta went "oh uh, it's a title, yeah totally" but nobody ever addresses another Sith as "Darth" without the rest of their Sith-name anywhere else in the lore.

As for why it started with "Episode IV," they were aping really old sci-fi serials that Lucas presumably grew up being a fan of, which would frequently have many episodes and a thus had recaps similar to the now-famous title crawl at the beginning.

Could be he was just mocking him?
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Potato211 wrote: »
    Jarvind wrote: »

He was probably remarking on how far Anakin had fallen, acknowledging him only by his Sith title.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Potato211 wrote: »

Like an adult scolding a child. Now, when I watch that scene I'm going to replace the word "Darth" with "Mister" in my head....as in "You're in big trouble Mister!"
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-History-Star-Wars/dp/0978465237
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-History-Star-Wars/dp/0978465237

Gold
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    It's excellent in fact.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH