Benioff & Weiss out for new SW Trilogy

Prev1
Gifafi
6017 posts Member
so some good news for us Star Wars fans. I mean, maybe Disney has had their fill of people who were handed a great story only to mess it up? Not sure why the article say trilogy is nixed, or if it is (not sure why it would be just bc the two hacks are "too busy" with some netflix stuff.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/star-wars-setback-game-of-thrones-duo-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-exit-trilogy-1202771184/
Maybe End Game isn't for you

Replies

• Thats a very very good news.

Terrible writers (just mess with good background) oh wait did they just sign as developpers at CG ?????
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    The second I saw the Benioff & Weiss basically admitted to having conned GRRM and the studios into letting them make their first ever tv show with beloved source material, I had a feeling the SW project would get cut. It might not be related, but I'd surprised it wasn't
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    I'm a little nervous now, having seen Rian Johnson's name mentioned as a possible collaborator on future SW projects.
  • Since Kevin Fiege is now involved maybe they can get the Russo brothers. One can dream....
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    How about "Mace Windu: A Spike Lee Story"
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    How about "Mace Windu: A Spike Lee Story"

YES PLEASE
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    I'm a little nervous now, having seen Rian Johnson's name mentioned as a possible collaborator on future SW projects.

Nervous as well - hope Rian doesn’t leave. His work is terrific.
  • I guess the studio didn't like the Producers' plan of writing great scripts for the first two movies of the trilogy then just winging it for the last one.
  • CCyrilS wrote: »

Nervous as well - hope Rian doesn’t leave. His work is terrific.

Edge king
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    No idea where the optimism is coming from. GOT fell apart as soon as they had no written material left...as if to reveal typical hollywood creators behind it all in the first place.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »
    No idea where the optimism is coming from. GOT fell apart as soon as they had no written material left...as if to reveal typical hollywood creators behind it all in the first place.

optimism? this is a thread about them being out. So I guess that's reason to be optimistic
  • I'm glad they are out. I like Rian's "style" but his lore concept/script work was awful. I don't mind him being involved as long as the story comes from an established writer like Drew Karpyshyn.
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    so some good news for us Star Wars fans. I mean, maybe Disney has had their fill of people who were handed a great story only to mess it up? Not sure why the article say trilogy is nixed, or if it is (not sure why it would be just bc the two hacks are "too busy" with some netflix stuff.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/star-wars-setback-game-of-thrones-duo-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-exit-trilogy-1202771184/

Ehhhhh.... They did a pretty darn good job when they actually had source material to use. In all honesty, I put more blame on his rotundness that will die before ever finishing the books.

Ehhhhh.... They did a pretty darn good job when they actually had source material to use. In all honesty, I put more blame on his rotundness that will die before ever finishing the books.

Yes! It's not their fault if they behaved like incompetent bozos who look completely lost if there isn't someone who holds their hand and tells them what to do.

The fault is of the guy who, on top of writing two massive books, wasn't there to hold their hands.

You have convinced me. Poor b&b. Shame on those who abandoned them to their incompetence.

During its run, game of thrones was one of the most awarded shows in the history of television. Casting, Cinematography, Score, direction, etc were all spot on. Even in the final seasons that lacked well developed source material, it is hard to argue against any of those elements being anything less than spectacular.

I firmly believe had Martin actually had source for the final seasons as opposed to a vague outline for D&D to adhere to that the final outcome would have been superior (unless of course, Martin has lost it and his final books are just going to suck - if we ever see them).

Honestly, given the quality of D&D's work, this was a big loss for Disney.

• If they actually had a choice and chose Netflix over Star Wars then good riddance. Bullet dodged.
  • 7AnimalMother
    2053 posts Member
    edited October 2019

They were still constrained by GRRM outline for the rest of the story. Trying to follow someone else's outline can be restrictive at best.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »

anyone could have made a good show when all the work was done besides casting good actors and yelling "action"

They were still constrained by GRRM outline for the rest of the story. Trying to follow someone else's outline can be restrictive at best.

they literally followed his books, so it was harder to follow an outline when they had to actually fill in details and make decisions? I agree!
    Gifafi wrote: »

anyone could have made a good show when all the work was done besides casting good actors and yelling "action"

they literally followed his books, so it was harder to follow an outline when they had to actually fill in details and make decisions? I agree!

Look I get some of you have issues with the last season of GoT. I wasn't a huge fan of the way the plot wrapped up (though there were some spectacular episodes and well written threads along the way).

Ultimately though, did you enjoy the series? I imagine so or you wouldn't have made it to the final season.

If you never saw the final season, would you have thought the TV show was anything other than high quality?

Trying to wrap up an abbreviated final season with Martin's "scouring of the shire" ending was going to be a challenge. How do you make a hero have a believable heel turn in a short period of time when you can't show someone's inner thoughts like Martin can do on a page? D&D failed at doing that.

That said, I can't throw out what was some incredible work they did over the course of 8 years because they couldn't pull off a great ending. Heck most quality shows haven't pulled off great endings. I can really only truly think of two series wrap up's that were excellent (Breaking Bad & The Americans). Outside of that most have been decent (the Sopranos), mediocre (Seinfeld) or outright terrible (Dexter).

And given the vast amount of BAD TV coming from books, saying that anyone could do a good job in their place, is a significant overstatement.

• They were still constrained by GRRM outline for the rest of the story. Trying to follow someone else's outline can be restrictive at best.

what they did disappointed everyone, except you.

I think it was pretty clear based on my comments that I was disappointed in the final season.

Are you saying vast majorities of people were disappointed before that point? Because that would be revisionist history.

Second of all, D&D started deviating and discarding parts of the books much earlier than they had to. Was it GRRM's fault that Dorne's storyline was a botched monstrosity that no one liked and everyone was happy to see murdered? No, GRRM's Dorne storyline is deep, complex, engaging, and was completely jettisoned by the two bozos.

In general, they did consolidate down material at certain points. Martins books are massive and not every detail is feasibly copied into a different medium. Cutting Arianne, Quentyn and Young Griff seems reasonable to me. For people watching on TV that did not have the advantage of reading the books, there were already significant numbers of characters to keep track of; introducing additional minor characters and plots servers no purpose.

Unless Martins final books make Dorne significantly more critical players, they were a distraction from the main characters and storylines and served nothing more as bloated threads. Bloated threads are likely some of the reasons Martin hasn't finished the books.
    To me, they have shown themselves to be bad writers. Anything that was good in the writing of GoT is entirely due to Martin. Anything that was solely written by D&D was universally panned and derided.

So you didn't like the Hadhome episode? The Battle of the ****? Lady Lyanna Mormont? Brother Ray? When Arya was Tywins Cupbearer? The Duel between Brienne and the Hound? Margery Tyrell actually being fleshed out as a cunning political strategist as opposed to a non-entity like in the books? All of that was just crap, eh?

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    am I supposed to be impressed that they were able to read a book and make a show about it? of course the series was great, until they screwed it all up. If they were so concerned about hurrying up the ending to go play with netflix they should have handed it off to...well, anyone.
    am I supposed to be impressed that they were able to read a book and make a show about it? of course the series was great, until they screwed it all up. If they were so concerned about hurrying up the ending to go play with netflix they should have handed it off to...well, anyone.

My point is I think some of you guys are being overly harsh on D&D.

The show garnered the 2nd most emmys of all time, and the most for a Drama. That doesn't happen without the two show runners doing an excellent job. While yes, the final season was disappointing, viewed as a whole, GoT was some of the best TV ever produced. I can think of very few shows outside of perhaps Breaking Bad and Band of Brothers that I would consider in the same class.

You are basically marginalizing their work due to the not liking their ending.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    exactly. I don't want anyone who botched an ending that badly near sw. and they won emmys for the final season, so they obviously aren't worth that much. if it helps I found breaking bad so boring I gave up at the "Fly" episode. maybe I'll try again some day
  • The show garnered the 2nd most emmys of all time, and the most for a Drama. That doesn't happen without the two show runners doing an excellent job.

Criticism of D&D is entirely centred on the storytelling. The thesis is that D&D's writing is terrible. The proof is that every time they had to write something without having the luxury of copying/modifying GRRM's superb original text, what they came up with was universally panned and despised.

And that's why I'm happy that they are out, and why I have very little respect for your attempts at reminding us that GoT has won several Emmies for sound editing or whatnot.

A show runner who is only an excellent story teller but doesn't bring all the other items needed to make a show great also fails. And that said, D&D writing was not terrible. Exactly one thing and one thing only was "universally panned and despised" and that was Danny's heel turn or rather the lack of build up to logically explain it.

I gave examples of items we know were either not in the books or were only their in outlines earlier. These were all good additions.

"So you didn't like the Hadhome episode? The Battle of the ****? Lady Lyanna Mormont? Brother Ray? When Arya was Tywins Cupbearer? The Duel between Brienne and the Hound? Margery Tyrell actually being fleshed out as a cunning political strategist as opposed to a non-entity like in the books? All of that was just crap, eh?"

Can add to those "A Knight of the 7 Kingdoms" and "The Long Night" episodes from the final season which were both superb.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    only one thing. lol. season 8 you mean?