Please do us a favor Re: Rose

Prev1345
TJax
101 posts Member
edited November 2019
I get it, she’s in the game, and part of ep 8. I understand that we should be required to get her to 7*. But please, for the love of God, don’t make us gear her.

It’s not that I don’t like her kit. I’m sure I read it once, but I don’t even remember what her kit does. I, and I think most of the community, just flat don’t like her character.

If you are planning an event requiring resistance for ep 9, and Rose is to be a part of it, I make the following suggestion:

She does a stage with Finn.

She is required to be 7*

The AI always and exclusively targets Finn, no AOE.

Set up some parameters so that Finn must survive X amount of turns, even have the enemy grant a debuff capping speed so the stage turns into a complete gear check for Finn if you want.

When Rose finally gets a turn and Finn is still alive we use an event only ability called “Love Saves the Day lolz **** *shrug*” And you pass the stage.

Again, if you have any feelings for the community at all. The thought of gearing Rose almost makes me feel like I’m in the movie “Saw”.

Replies

• Lol awesome thread. So is bringing Rose to relic 3 the equivalent of cutting your own leg off?
  • Beyol
    328 posts Member
    TJax wrote: »
    I get it, she’s in the game, and part of ep 8. I understand that we should be required to get her to 7*. But please, for the love of God, don’t make us gear her.

It’s not that I don’t like her kit. I’m sure I read it once, but I don’t even remember what her kit does. I, and I think most of the community, just flat don’t like her character.

If you are planning an event requiring resistance for ep 9, and Rose is to be a part of it, I make the following suggestion:

She is required to be 7*

Set up some parameters so that Finn must survive X amount of turns, even have the enemy grant a debuff capping speed so the stage turns into a complete gear check for Finn if you want.

When Rose finally gets a turn and Finn is still alive we use an event only ability called “Love Saves the Day lolz **** *shrug*” And you pass the stage.

Again, if you have any feelings for the community at all. The thought of gearing Rose almost makes me feel like I’m in the movie “Saw”.

The community says to quit speaking for us. Just say you don't like her, at least it sounds genuine. Once you (speak) for everyone, we know it's just you and your hangups. Thanks and good day.
  • TJax
    101 posts Member
    Beyol wrote: »

She is required to be 7*

The community says to quit speaking for us. Just say you don't like her, at least it sounds genuine. Once you (speak) for everyone, we know it's just you and your hangups. Thanks and good day.

I see what you mean. You saying you are speaking for the community doesn’t sound genuine at all!
  • TJax
    101 posts Member
    Lol awesome thread. So is bringing Rose to relic 3 the equivalent of cutting your own leg off?

Haha no I’m at that point by G8 I think!
  • I don't get that kind of "hatred" for Rose as a character. Shoot me if you have to, but imho she's one of the few good parts of the new trilogy movies at all. Her character background and development makes sense and has been far more interesting to me than seeing MaRey Sue easily succeeding in the next thing she's never done before... B) . Don't get me wrong, I don't like the sequels overall compared to everything else Star Wars related. But Rose is definitely not the reason for it. I would have ignored all FO and Resistence characters in this game if it was only about what characters I like, but we all have to make compromises from time to time for certain goals in the game.
  • Slothmaster
    247 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    It would be genius to pick Rose for a new Heroes Journey character that turns into an Epic Confrontation. Of all the characters in the game Rose has to be one of the least popular. She was largely unpopular with fans of the movies. She is arguably the worst Resistance character since she doesn’t warrant replacing any of the other JTR team members (who most people had already farmed and geared by the time Rose was released).

Suddenly everyone has to Relic 4 a worthless character that literally nobody has up except those who A: really liked the character or B: powered her up on a whim, probably for the memes
  • We will need rose tico at G13 relic 7 for the next event
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    This thread is off to an excellent start I see.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Blackula wrote: »
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    I don't get that kind of "hatred" for Rose as a character. Shoot me if you have to, but imho she's one of the few good parts of the new trilogy movies at all. Her character background and development makes sense and has been far more interesting to me than seeing MaRey Sue easily succeeding in the next thing she's never done before... B) . Don't get me wrong, I don't like the sequels overall compared to everything else Star Wars related. But Rose is definitely not the reason for it. I would have ignored all FO and Resistence characters in this game if it was only about what characters I like, but we all have to make compromises from time to time for certain goals in the game.

What is good about her? She is boring. No more and no less. She doesn't further the narrative whatsoever.

I thought Rose made sense and I liked her. She has heard all the stories and considers the main characters to be heroes (she's basically us, the audience). She then finds out her heroes aren't exactly what she believes (similar to Rey with Luke, the theme is echoed by DJ on Canto Bight). Then at the end she realizes heroes can be heroic and also have flaws (similar to Rey with Luke again). She's basically our chance to put ourselves in the story.
  • Salt production is through the roof
  • Rose is our Muse in our guild. You get to put a 🌹in your name in discord for 7* a second 🌹 for g12 and a third 🌹 if you zeta her. So far only our GL has all three.
  • TJax
    101 posts Member
    I don't get that kind of "hatred" for Rose as a character. Shoot me if you have to, but imho she's one of the few good parts of the new trilogy movies at all. Her character background and development makes sense and has been far more interesting to me than seeing MaRey Sue easily succeeding in the next thing she's never done before... B) . Don't get me wrong, I don't like the sequels overall compared to everything else Star Wars related. But Rose is definitely not the reason for it. I would have ignored all FO and Resistence characters in this game if it was only about what characters I like, but we all have to make compromises from time to time for certain goals in the game.

I agree the Rey character development is lazy. They wanted to make sure everyone agrees that Rey > Luke, but they have yet to tell us why.

(Spoilers to follow) I don’t like the Rose character because she goes from “Sometimes die for what you believe in” to “live for love no matter what you believe in” (which was also really selfish on her part because she had no way to know if Finn felt the same way or not, yet she took his choice to sacrifice himself for the good of the cause from him).

I also hate that she thinks their mission was “worth it” because they freed some rabbit horses that will ultimately and easily be rounded up again. These people have mastered intergalactic space travel, they can round up some rabbit horses that got out of the pen. Han Solo rode his ton ton (spelling?) until it froze to death, then used it as a shelter to save just himself and his friend. Rose and Finn should have lead a stampede of rabbit horses who turned on their masters and were slaughtered all in the name of getting the codebreaker or something. Freeing the rabbit horses doesn’t make failing at your one chance to possibly save your cause and your friends lives. You may have got a consolation, you probably wasted a helpful resource and you should have focused on what was most important rather than getting distracted by the poor rabbit horses.

Maybe we need a trilogy that happens at the same time as episode 8, but breaks down all the off camera character developments so that we can “understand” episode 8 and it’s lunacy.
  • CadoaBane wrote: »

c1h4fzrvrip4.png

• Lio wrote: »

What is good about her? She is boring. No more and no less. She doesn't further the narrative whatsoever.

I thought Rose made sense and I liked her. She has heard all the stories and considers the main characters to be heroes (she's basically us, the audience). She then finds out her heroes aren't exactly what she believes (similar to Rey with Luke, the theme is echoed by DJ on Canto Bight). Then at the end she realizes heroes can be heroic and also have flaws (similar to Rey with Luke again). She's basically our chance to put ourselves in the story.

I thought that’s why we have heroes in movies. We can live vicariously through them. We can put ourselves in their shoes as they succeed or fail.

I don’t need a passive observer in a film to represent me. Watching someone watch things happen isn’t interesting unless we’re talking Mystery Science Theatre 3000. The character had all the personal development and purpose in the story of a doorknob.
  • My hope is that she gets a re-skin for episode IX.
  • Tarah
    202 posts Member
    I love Rose, and hope need min g12 for an event related with ep 9!
  • JacenRoe wrote: »
    Lio wrote: »

I thought that’s why we have heroes in movies. We can live vicariously through them. We can put ourselves in their shoes as they succeed or fail.

I don’t need a passive observer in a film to represent me. Watching someone watch things happen isn’t interesting unless we’re talking Mystery Science Theatre 3000. The character had all the personal development and purpose in the story of a doorknob.

How, exactly, was she a passive observer? Didn't she save Finn's life in the end? Was that while she was being passive?
  • JacenRoe wrote: »
    Lio wrote: »

How, exactly, was she a passive observer? Didn't she save Finn's life in the end? Was that while she was being passive?

I was responding to someone who said they liked having someone in the movie who watched actually important characters do things. And for they most part that poster is right. She’s meaningless to the plot.

However, you are also right that she takes bold action in the end to nearly get everyone killed trying to save a boy she met a couple of hours ago and kind of likes. And she would have succeeded in saving him long enough that the First Order could slaughter them all together if not for Luke stepping in to distract Kylo by committing suicide via meditating too hard.
  • TJax wrote: »

I agree the Rey character development is lazy. They wanted to make sure everyone agrees that Rey > Luke, but they have yet to tell us why.

(Spoilers to follow) I don’t like the Rose character because she goes from “Sometimes die for what you believe in” to “live for love no matter what you believe in” (which was also really selfish on her part because she had no way to know if Finn felt the same way or not, yet she took his choice to sacrifice himself for the good of the cause from him).

I also hate that she thinks their mission was “worth it” because they freed some rabbit horses that will ultimately and easily be rounded up again. These people have mastered intergalactic space travel, they can round up some rabbit horses that got out of the pen. Han Solo rode his ton ton (spelling?) until it froze to death, then used it as a shelter to save just himself and his friend. Rose and Finn should have lead a stampede of rabbit horses who turned on their masters and were slaughtered all in the name of getting the codebreaker or something. Freeing the rabbit horses doesn’t make failing at your one chance to possibly save your cause and your friends lives. You may have got a consolation, you probably wasted a helpful resource and you should have focused on what was most important rather than getting distracted by the poor rabbit horses.

Maybe we need a trilogy that happens at the same time as episode 8, but breaks down all the off camera character developments so that we can “understand” episode 8 and it’s lunacy.

It was Finn that said it was “worth it.” I watched that stupid movie twice to see if it would start growing on me. It was far worse the second time. But I agree with everything else you said here.

I think a better way to end episode 8 is after the rescue of rabbit horses and Finn telling Rose it was worth it to fail the resistance, the camera rotates up to space and we get to see the resistance fleet run out of fuel and then be blown up by the FO. Yea...totally worth running some rabbit horses through a few walls.
  • Lol - lot's of not-so-thinly-veiled misogyny in this thread. Friday forum foolishness in full swing.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Lol - lot's of not-so-thinly-veiled misogyny in this thread. Friday forum foolishness in full swing.

I forgot that the gold standard for hating all women is not liking a single character portrayal in a single movie.

I also hate George Clooney’s portrayal of Batman. I guess that means I hate all men too.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    I’d rather gear her than star her
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TJax
    101 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I’d rather gear her than star her

Well, full disclosure, I 7* her long ago as I thought she might have been needed for a new FO legendary like hux or smoke. So now that I’ve wasted my energy and credits, i selfishly want everyone else to waste their energy and credits as well :)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Lol - lot's of not-so-thinly-veiled misogyny in this thread. Friday forum foolishness in full swing.

I forgot that the gold standard for hating all women is not liking a single character portrayal in a single movie.

I also hate George Clooney’s portrayal of Batman. I guess that means I hate all men too.

hold on now, did Clooney play batman?!
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »

Unfortunately yes. Quite a few years ago. I think the title was Batman Forever. It was such a steaming pile that it nearly killed the movie franchise.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

Unfortunately yes. Quite a few years ago. I think the title was Batman Forever. It was such a steaming pile that it nearly killed the movie franchise.

here i am, still thinking ben affleck was a horrible fit. Needless to say i haven't seen the one with clooney.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited November 2019

here i am, still thinking ben affleck was a horrible fit. Needless to say i haven't seen the one with clooney.

I thought Affleck was a bad choice going in. Having seen it I would say HE was actually decent. It was everything else about the movie that was an abomination.

And as much as I hated Batman vs Superman (which I can assure you is a TON), it was Oscar-worthy compared to the Clooney Batman movie.

Edit: Correction. The one with Clooney isn’t Batman Forever. That was the one with Val Kilmer that was also pretty horrible. Clooney was in Batman and Robin in 1997. It currently has an 11% on Rotten Tomatoes. That seems high to me.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    all the batman movies were awful. only good parts were all the bane scenes and all the ledger joker scenes
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • CadoaBane
    563 posts Member
    edited November 2019

I'm not going to argue about your critique of her choices, that's not the point though to me. I don't like only characters who always do the "right" or "most logical" thing, meaning I don't have to agree with all character's choices to find him or her interesting. I think that as long as it fits the character (development) , controversial decisions are good for a complex and multilayered story. Plus, I love the older Star Wars books with all their little side stories about characters that never appeared in the main story arc, but had their own stories taking place somewhere in the galaxy. That's what makes the Star Wars universe so vivid imho.

"Batman & Robin" from 1997 (edit: just realized you already corrected it yourself) - one of those movies that were so bad that it made them already good again! Uma Thruman as Poison Ivy alone is worth watching it, always loved her in such crazy roles. B)