Roster Lock Clarification

Prev1
According to the latest post:
We had an omission from our most recent patch notes. We’ve changed when the roster lock occurs for both TW and GAC matchmaking. Previously, your roster did not have a snapshot of your collection taken until the moment matchmaking had begun. This resulted in some players rosters being updated after the moment matchmaking by the nature of the system going through and taking snapshots of everyone’s roster. Now, when you click the Join button your roster is snapped. For TW, if you exit, you are removed from matchmaking consideration. When you rejoin, your roster is snapped again at that moment. Apologies for the omission.

@CG_TopHat

When does the actual "lock" happen. This post could be taken one of two ways, either...

1. Your roster is recorded when you join and that's when the lock happens.
2. Your roster status is recorded when you join and locked at the time or matchmaking. When it it locked the update happens much faster because 90%+ of the data is already recorded and it simply needs to be verified.

Option 2 cuts down on the write time and input/output time for the roster lock and would definitely speed things up, but I'm not sure what the post is specifically saying here.

Can you please clarify?
If the answer is option 1, can you clarify as to why? If I am upgrading toons and having to join/leave an event it increases the chance of guild members missing the event altogether by being focused elsewhere or simply waiting too long and life happens.

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Your roster is locked when the snapshot is taken. I think they explained why pretty clearly in the prior post about this, and it's answered more briefly in what you just quoted: "This resulted in some players rosters being updated after the moment matchmaking by the nature of the system going through and taking snapshots of everyone’s roster." People were using characters that they hadn't even unlocked at the time roster lock was supposed to happen because of the delay in it actually happening.
  • So if I update my roster I have to leave and rejoin or no?
  • So if I update my roster I have to leave and rejoin or no?

Leave and rejoin
  • Thanks for the clarification Obi1
  • How many posts incoming with complaints of 1) missing the join because they were waiting on an upgrade and then forgot 2) forgot to leave and rejoin after the change or 3) didn’t realize there was any change at all?
  • How many posts incoming with complaints of 1) missing the join because they were waiting on an upgrade and then forgot 2) forgot to leave and rejoin after the change or 3) didn’t realize there was any change at all?

Yeah I'm really looking forward to all those upcoming game crashes, when everyone tries to join GA in the last hour before matchmaking... B)
    Yup, loud and numerous will be the complaints when the next GA starts.

They should have just added a 5 minute roster lock timer before the matchmaking timer begins.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    And you cannot leave and rejoin a GA unless they also added that functionality with this update.
  • Liath wrote: »
    Your roster is locked when the snapshot is taken. I think they explained why pretty clearly in the prior post about this, and it's answered more briefly in what you just quoted: "This resulted in some players rosters being updated after the moment matchmaking by the nature of the system going through and taking snapshots of everyone’s roster." People were using characters that they hadn't even unlocked at the time roster lock was supposed to happen because of the delay in it actually happening.

They don't say anything about updating the snapshot. They don't specifically use the terminology of the roster being locked. That is what I'd like clarified.
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    And you cannot leave and rejoin a GA unless they also added that functionality with this update.

Seems like a massive new issue is introduced now.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Really? This is going to be a nightmare, because you actually do want to wait to join then if you are making additions that day. Yikes.
  • GambrinusKluk
    222 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Wow, way to keep screwing players over CG. You'll now have lots of people that would normally join right when GAC launches now wait to make that last upgrade or promotion then will miss out on joining cause rl happens.
    I really hope you reconsider this change and just add a 5-10 minute after the join and before match makes starts for you to lock to rosters.

Really? This is going to be a nightmare, because you actually do want to wait to join then if you are making additions that day. Yikes.
    Really. In TW you have a leave button after you join but in GA you do not, unless they just added one.
  • quf4c3704zhd.jpg
    I was screwed out of TW today because I left at 2:20pm EDT to fix my mods. When I went to rejoin at 2:59 TW was not even there to join.1op4alurdv8o.jpg
  • Terrible "fix". I have faith in those dudes - they really can kill the game. Don't stop, we all want it dead soon to switch to Cyberpunk one day :D
  • BlackIrish wrote: »
    quf4c3704zhd.jpg
    I was screwed out of TW today because I left at 2:20pm EDT to fix my mods. When I went to rejoin at 2:59 TW was not even there to join.1op4alurdv8o.jpg

That really sucks. If you can, apart from this thread I would suggest DMing a developer possibly (perhaps crumb) just to point to this thread and let him know what happened. He said he takes feedback/issues back from the community for meetings with leadership, designers, etc.

Second to that, I'd chat with support. Let them know what happened so they understand you missed a major event because of this issue.

• Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    edited November 2019
    BlackIrish wrote: »
    quf4c3704zhd.jpg
    Your clock could be a few seconds behind CG’s game clock

Waiting until the last second is never a good idea
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    For those who think I'm a CG stooge, you'll be disappointed to learn I hate this change.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra, thanks but I checked the clock, it was at 2:59:20 and I sync my time with Internet. I don't usually wait, but had a lot going on during that period yesterday when I remembered my mods were a mess from HSTR from day before.

Nabakovfan, although I've grown weary with reporting due to time consumption and little to no follow up, I will do so. I like the DM suggestion. Thanks.
  • nabokovfan
    535 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Update on this.....

I joined GACs last night, this morning I spent time prior to the setup phase upgrading my ships and working on mods. Those ships and changes are reflected in my "locked roster" in the setup phase. So again, this is scenario 2. The game is taking a snapshot of your roster once you join to save time at the time of lock. Lock is when your roster is actually locked.

I just updated gear levels and mods, these are not reflected in my GAC roster. So again, it is not locked when you join, but when the event actually starts.

2nd matchup of GACs and I can verify it did lock when I joined. The upgrades mentioned above are not reflected and I was able to verify this when setting my defense. If you continue reading the posts below, you'll see that the inventory screen in the matchup does not show your locked roster, but it shows your current roster only.
    Post edited by nabokovfan on
  • I'll DM My opponent just to have them view / clarify. I am trying to gear more/view and ensure that I'm not just seeing my own, current roster again when I click to view inside of GA. I'll report back when I get the answer.
  • nabokovfan wrote: »
    Update on this.....

I joined GACs last night, this morning I spent time prior to the setup phase upgrading my ships and working on mods. Those ships and changes are reflected in my "locked roster" in the setup phase. So again, this is scenario 2. The game is taking a snapshot of your roster once you join to save time at the time of lock. Lock is when your roster is actually locked.

I just updated gear levels and mods, these are not reflected in my GAC roster. So again, it is not locked when you join, but when the event actually starts.
    Even within the GA you only see the locked-in state when you either long-press on a character in a deployed defensive squad or in a squad you are assembling to deploy defensively or to attack.

If you view a player roster, even if you accessed if through the GA screens, you are seeing current state, not locked-in state.

It's been this way since the beginning of GA.
    nabokovfan wrote: »
    Update on this.....

Even within the GA you only see the locked-in state when you either long-press on a character in a deployed defensive squad or in a squad you are assembling to deploy defensively or to attack.

If you view a player roster, even if you accessed if through the GA screens, you are seeing current state, not locked-in state.

When I go to GA and click on their name, then inventory, it shows their locked roster. It's been that way since day 1. When I click on my name, it should show my locked roster. You're telling me the only way to view my characters is after I place them, that's absolutely stupid if someone designed it that way.
    Update on this.....

When I go to GA and click on their name, then inventory, it shows their locked roster. It's been that way since day 1. When I click on my name, it should show my locked roster. You're telling me the only way to view my characters is after I place them, that's absolutely stupid if someone designed it that way.

Sorry, this is wrong. On the league table within GA, clicking each name will show current roster. You’re mistaken about it having ever shown locked GA.

You can view your characters before you place them - simply long click on the squad select screen.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Update on this.....

When I go to GA and click on their name, then inventory, it shows their locked roster. It's been that way since day 1.
    Nope. It shows current state.
    When I click on my name, it should show my locked roster.
    It should but it doesn't. It shows current state, I just re-confirmed that with my own roster. You can too.
    You're telling me the only way to view my characters is after I place them, that's absolutely stupid if someone designed it that way.
    Either after they are placed or on the screen where you are assembling a squad to place or to attack. I do not disagree that it is dumb, in fact I posted about the problem 7 months ago - https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/200268/viewing-roster-details-in-locked-down-ga-is-broken#latest
  • @CG_SBCrumb @CG_TopHat Can you please bring this to the team. Why, how on earth do we view locked GAC rosters? Why is it so difficult to actually view your own and your opponents roster prior to setting characters?

Thanks for the carification @Rath_Tarr it is definitely a bug to me. I'll be reporting it.
    @CG_SBCrumb @CG_TopHat Can you please bring this to the team. Why, how on earth do we view locked GAC rosters? Why is it so difficult to actually view your own and your opponents roster prior to setting characters?

Thanks for the carification @Rath_Tarr it is definitely a bug to me. I'll be reporting it.

How do you exit and rejoin? I did not see this option like TW. Once you go set your or try to set your squad in place, hold that toon icon down and see your mods (or not mods), then you know what was set at that "snap time" for your roster. My roster has no mods on some toons. RIP. I entered and entered and entered and triple check prior to player LOCK TIME and still, holes in my roster nodding. Very sad I am :(
  • Zarkoan_81 wrote: »
    @CG_SBCrumb @CG_TopHat Can you please bring this to the team. Why, how on earth do we view locked GAC rosters? Why is it so difficult to actually view your own and your opponents roster prior to setting characters?

How do you exit and rejoin? I did not see this option like TW. Once you go set your or try to set your squad in place, hold that toon icon down and see your mods (or not mods), then you know what was set at that "snap time" for your roster. My roster has no mods on some toons. RIP. I entered and entered and entered and triple check prior to player LOCK TIME and still, holes in my roster nodding. Very sad I am :(

There's a discord command you can use to check mods. Very useful. ;Modcheck <gear lvl>
  • Is that showing current state or locked in state? Since it has to get its data from CG's web services I'm betting the discord bot shows current state not locked-in state.