Q&A Summary

Prev1
“We’ve heard loud and clear that you don’t like 5* unlocks, and that you’re unhappy with the balance of rewards given in various areas of the game, and we’re going to continue doing exactly what we’re doing now for the foreseeable future.”

It’s honest, I guess. Hoard that GET and buy those crystals.

Replies

• Palanthian wrote: »
    “We’ve heard loud and clear that you don’t like 5* unlocks, and that you’re unhappy with the balance of rewards given in various areas of the game, and we’re going to continue doing exactly what we’re doing now for the foreseeable future.”

I read the entire thing and didn’t see any of that. This q&a was the most sympathetic yet and yes they’re obviously on an apology tour for the past months of trauma caused to the community. But from what they described a lot of good things will be happening in December and they still have plans for the upcoming year which gives me real hope for the game and our continued enjoyment of it.
  • Chewy88 wrote: »
    Palanthian wrote: »

I read the entire thing and didn’t see any of that. This q&a was the most sympathetic yet and yes they’re obviously on an apology tour for the past months of trauma caused to the community. But from what they described a lot of good things will be happening in December and they still have plans for the upcoming year which gives me real hope for the game and our continued enjoyment of it.

They did basically say they're not going to change how hoarding is the best thing to do to stay competitive
  • : Why is the game designed around hoarding resources?
    A: CG_Miller - This is kind of a backwards way to think of this, but I can understand the perspective. We try to make the game engaging for all players for the time they are playing the game. This will sometimes mean that goals involve a high number of resources that we would expect a player to spend time farming. The unfortunate side effect to this is that players who were not spending those resources previously will see themselves as having a leg up compared to the other players. So in short, our goal is not to design around hoarding resources, but for those resources to be acquired and consumed over time

This is the exact quote. Basically saying it's not intentional but we're not gonna change it
  • : Why is the game designed around hoarding resources?
    A: CG_Miller - This is kind of a backwards way to think of this, but I can understand the perspective. We try to make the game engaging for all players for the time they are playing the game. This will sometimes mean that goals involve a high number of resources that we would expect a player to spend time farming. The unfortunate side effect to this is that players who were not spending those resources previously will see themselves as having a leg up compared to the other players. So in short, our goal is not to design around hoarding resources, but for those resources to be acquired and consumed over time

This is the exact quote. Basically saying it's not intentional but we're not gonna change it

Yeah it's a pretty **** response when they undoubtedly use these stores as a basis to say that they have been easing the gear crunch
  • X3ina
    108 posts Member
    I do love people that are asking: - Game is dying?
    They still have faith in humanity!
  • Basically we know you don’t like having to hoard and we don’t like it either but we need to slow down everyone’s progress so we don’t have to push out as many new characters or any new content.
  • CadoaBane
    563 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    : Why is the game designed around hoarding resources?

The bolded part is exactly what I often say myself, it's not meant to always get everything the day it comes out. At least not without either hoarding or paying huge amounts of money, but those are ways to progress faster, not the initial purpose of how the game is meant to work.

Besides that, there are other things in the Q&A that I would personally criticize... but don't want to go out of topic here.
  • The problem is if you didn't hoard GET before - you'll never catch up if you don't miss one of the "epic" confrontation unlocks on purpose. Given that I already have spent on Malak and GAS (already regret about unlocking him and even more about spending GET before I hoarded enough for 7*, still 6-7 GeoTBs away and not gonna jump guilds to run Hoth) - it will take another 3 months + another 5-6 months to hoard for one of next heroes. Not even sure I'm gonna play that long given the frustration involved with 5* unlocks - game just stopped shining bright for me...
  • Tiig
    296 posts Member
    They’ll change it when people stop doing events until they have hoarded. Before, it didn’t matter, as 5* was still a good toon, now they’re useless.
  • Tiig wrote: »
    They’ll change it when people stop doing events until they have hoarded. Before, it didn’t matter, as 5* was still a good toon, now they’re useless.
    Except that GAS is pretty good even at five stars in the right lineup. He has been part of my arena team for awhile now. I can’t run him as the leader of the 501st in the arena but I can still do that in a GAC or TW.
    We don’t know the frequency of an event like this so most of us will want to store away that five star character anyway - even if we can’t take them to seven.
    I only store when I don’t have anything pressing to spend it on - I don’t mind spending GeT2 on the Negotiator because I want the negotiator Nd will spend on it now or later anyway - so little benefit in waiting 6 months, I actually would lose out by not having it available for that long.
    The only two ways to avoid hoarding without wrecking the good parts of the game would be to have maximum caps on some item or currencies or to run more events that would require using some of that hoard. Of course people could decide to do poorly and not dip in but then there is a clear cost to hoarding and that’s ok. Anyone who passes up success today to hopefully guess right and be ahead of the curve later is paying a price while hoarding and taking on at least a little bit of risk - and that trade off is fair. It doesn’t work if there is nothing worthwhile to spend on - there is really no benefit for me to gear up my rogue one team anymore...so better to hoard the gear. This boils down to no new raid for a long time. Yes we have TB and GAC, but a new raid would have likely required gearing up some additional teams to stay competitive with rewards. We need content to encourage spending. Maybe that’s all I needed to say.
  • I will agree that the tone of this q and a was very sympathetic and apologetic, BUT it was definitely more of a "I'm sorry you feel that way" than "I'm sorry, we will make changes that benefit the player". I mean, I get it, they are accountable to upper management. I get the feeling they WANT to do more for us but aren't being allowed to do so.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    "Why don't you change your entire model bc I want stuff sooner?"
    "That's not how any of this works.gif"
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Sigh, do I have to post the gg links for the two 5 star Ganakins getting first in my shard in every thread?

If you think he's useless you either don't have him or you're doing something wrong.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    Sigh, do I have to post the gg links for the two 5 star Ganakins getting first in my shard in every thread?

If you think he's useless you either don't have him or you're doing something wrong.

AGAIN: we can get 1st without GAS, we can beat GAS by Padme (we kinda rock, not suck)
    BUT we want shiny toy and 5* GAS is not shiny at all

Btw, do those two have to beat 7* r7 GAS on their climb to 1st?
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Dmitry_M81 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Btw, do those two have to beat 7* r7 GAS on their climb to 1st?

There's one but it's irrelevant to my point.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Once a shard reaches a certain age, the age of the shard is irrelevant other than the number of players that quit, which may or may not be higher the older the shard. The odds are in favor of more players quitting the older shard but it's not guaranteed. Beyond that the age of the shard is irrelevant. Therefore there's zero reason to state the age of your shard when talking about the strength of it.

A December 2016 shard is not easier than a December 2015 shard beciase it's a year younger.
    Once a shard reaches a certain age, the age of the shard is irrelevant other than the number of players that quit, which may or may not be higher the older the shard. The odds are in favor of more players quitting the older shard but it's not guaranteed. Beyond that the age of the shard is irrelevant. Therefore there's zero reason to state the age of your shard when talking about the strength of it.

A December 2016 shard is not easier than a December 2015 shard beciase it's a year younger.

Amazing. Everything you posted is an assumption.

Here are some facts. A shard that is one year older than another shard has 1 more year of collecting arena crystals and roster development - for every player in that shard. That roster development will allow the older shard to comolete events, join guilds, complete raids, and TBs sooner and more efficiently than a younger shard. It's simple math - not assumptions based on who may or may not have quit.

There are exceptions on every shard. There could be more whales on a younger shard.... or less. But the older the shard, the more total arena crystals that shard has in its overall rosters. There's no way to argue against that fact.

But.....you will try. Goodnight.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    You don't need more crystals or roster development to build one good team. You are making a GA argument, not an arena argument.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    @Nikoms565 i started in April 2017. You really think I couldn't take first in your shard?
    i started in April 2017. You really think I couldn't take first in your shard?

As much as I enjoy a good strawman argument, I'll just say this - you'd have an easier time taking first on my shard if you had started in April of 2016.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I'm with Nikoms on that one. Being in a newer shard doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to survive in an old shard. But older shards tend to adapt faster to new metas simply because they have more stuff geared already, got more hoarded scrap gear for relics, and got more mods farmed than newer people. Of course you mostly need 1 team for arena but things constantly change and older shards have the advantage of having more things available to them than newer shards, relatively speaking. There are of course exceptions (like very heavy spenders etc.), but having a year of playtime on someone can be HUGE.
  • No KOTOR content for the next 7 months :/ Hopefully after that! I want Meetra and Darth Malgus so bad. :disappointed: And even Valkorion or Vitiate! That would be awesome. Eternal Empire Meta!
  • Really, i am not even waiting for new content or characters any more after they released relics. Who asked for that? I understand it helps to balance the game and cg gets their bucks, but i absolutely have no clue where does cg take that this game is in a healthy state. For whom healthy? Thats the question.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    I'm with Nikoms on that one. Being in a newer shard doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to survive in an old shard. But older shards tend to adapt faster to new metas simply because they have more stuff geared already, got more hoarded scrap gear for relics, and got more mods farmed than newer people. Of course you mostly need 1 team for arena but things constantly change and older shards have the advantage of having more things available to them than newer shards, relatively speaking. There are of course exceptions (like very heavy spenders etc.), but having a year of playtime on someone can be HUGE.

The longer both shards are in existence, the less this matters.
  • First, I really like 5 star unlocks. They give people a chance to learn counters and have them trinkle into 7 stars rather than flooding atena.
    Second, it could be argued that a newer shard is more difficult for ftp/dolphins since it'll take longer to develop the counters to the meta.
  • Tl;dr.
    Real summary: the game is making money, so we will keep as it is, stop bothering us.
  • 2 pages of argument over Arena. The single most overrated outdated mode in the game. Whales will always be at the top of their arena and protect the other whales at the top of their shard. Each taking the max crystal payout in turn insuring that no one else in their shard has a chance at a top 10 finish. Those same people with 5* GAS @#1 were already at #1 before GAS with God mods and full r7 sith empire squads. They could be now if they chose to use that squad instead. Even the Utube shills say 5* GAS is nearly useless. Why can't the forums shills just admit that all things being equil, 5* GAS is not worth what it took to get him. Especially compared to the only other 5* unlock (Malak) which even at 5* was an instant game changer.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Krashxxxx wrote: »
    2 pages of argument over Arena. The single most overrated outdated mode in the game. Whales will always be at the top of their arena and protect the other whales at the top of their shard. Each taking the max crystal payout in turn insuring that no one else in their shard has a chance at a top 10 finish.

People who say this are just trying to justify their own inability to finish well. There are plenty of non-whales who are able to compete just fine in arena.