Benioff & Weiss out for new SW Trilogy

2Next

Replies

• They were still constrained by GRRM outline for the rest of the story. Trying to follow someone else's outline can be restrictive at best.

They straight up admitted that they didn't even try to understand the source material.
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    only one thing. lol. season 8 you mean?

8 as a whole still had an overall positive reception and the first 3 episodes were generally well liked. So really its 3 episodes out of an entire series that people have a problem with.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    only one thing. lol. season 8 you mean?

8 as a whole still had an overall positive reception and the first 3 episodes were generally well liked. So really its 3 episodes out of an entire series that people have a problem with.

fr136c7fyb9u.png

For me GOT crashing down on itself has only partially to do with isolated events that doesn't sit well with me, but noticable change in the overall perception/structure of that fictional world. It's as if I suddenly fell into a fan fiction version of it.

If this was not an adaptation and b&w wrote up their own fiction where all the other craftsmanship is kept intact, it would have fallen into typical blockbuster territory in the first place. People wouldn't be so ****, but they wouldn't care as much about it either. But then SW is the exact defining moment of blockbuster cinema, so maybe they are suitable for such concerns after all hehe.
  • A show runner who is only an excellent story teller but doesn't bring all the other items needed to make a show great also fails. And that said, D&D writing was not terrible. Exactly one thing and one thing only was "universally panned and despised" and that was Danny's heel turn or rather the lack of build up to logically explain it.

Look, I have no patience for your selective memory, but that is just not the case. Here's the Rotten Tomatoes ratings of the series:

mlxe22y7u4x21.png

You'll notice that the downfall of GoT starts in Season 5, not during the last three episodes of Season 8 as you seem to want to convince us.

Want another source? Look at Metacritic. Season 2 to Season 5 remain at a 90+ rating. Season 6 to 8 are in the 70s. Do you need me to tell you what the difference was?

I gave examples of items we know were either not in the books or were only their in outlines earlier.

I would not say that these things that you listed were crap, but I'd give them all away in a heartbeat if I could get a competent story instead.

(I will say that I didn't really like "Hardhome" nor "Battle of the B****s", personally.)
    Can add to those "A Knight of the 7 Kingdoms" and "The Long Night" episodes from the final season which were both superb.

I am happy for you that you found them superb. I really do.

The only compliments I can pay to "A Knight of the 7 Kingdoms" are "it's the best of Season 8" and "it's not aggressively stupid like the rest of the season, it's just normal stupid" and "I guess I still like Brienne, although it's probably some sort of vestigial attachment to her book version".

As for "The Long Night", I'd rather have gonorrhoea than rewatch it.

So yeah, after discussing with you, thanks to all the things you have pointed out to me, I'm even happier that D&D aren't going to be involved in Star Wars. The more you write, the more I dislike D&D. I didn't think such a feat was possible.

Downfall in season 5? So what, there was one episode in S5 that people generally didn't like and it was a downfall?

lol. Your hilarious man. It's not a "downfall" when 8 out of every 10 people like something.

But whatever, we will just agree to disagree.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    A show runner who is only an excellent story teller but doesn't bring all the other items needed to make a show great also fails. And that said, D&D writing was not terrible. Exactly one thing and one thing only was "universally panned and despised" and that was Danny's heel turn or rather the lack of build up to logically explain it.

Look, I have no patience for your selective memory, but that is just not the case. Here's the Rotten Tomatoes ratings of the series:

mlxe22y7u4x21.png

You'll notice that the downfall of GoT starts in Season 5, not during the last three episodes of Season 8 as you seem to want to convince us.

Want another source? Look at Metacritic. Season 2 to Season 5 remain at a 90+ rating. Season 6 to 8 are in the 70s. Do you need me to tell you what the difference was?

I gave examples of items we know were either not in the books or were only their in outlines earlier.

I would not say that these things that you listed were crap, but I'd give them all away in a heartbeat if I could get a competent story instead.

(I will say that I didn't really like "Hardhome" nor "Battle of the B****s", personally.)
    Can add to those "A Knight of the 7 Kingdoms" and "The Long Night" episodes from the final season which were both superb.

The only compliments I can pay to "A Knight of the 7 Kingdoms" are "it's the best of Season 8" and "it's not aggressively stupid like the rest of the season, it's just normal stupid" and "I guess I still like Brienne, although it's probably some sort of vestigial attachment to her book version".

So yeah, after discussing with you, thanks to all the things you have pointed out to me, I'm even happier that D&D aren't going to be involved in Star Wars. The more you write, the more I dislike D&D. I didn't think such a feat was possible.

Downfall in season 5? So what, there was one episode in S5 that people generally didn't like and it was a downfall?

lol. Your hilarious man. It's not a "downfall" when 8 out of every 10 people like something.

Let's read the graph and see what corresponds to what.
    etz9w5p3ouws.png
  • No_Try wrote: »
    A show runner who is only an excellent story teller but doesn't bring all the other items needed to make a show great also fails. And that said, D&D writing was not terrible. Exactly one thing and one thing only was "universally panned and despised" and that was Danny's heel turn or rather the lack of build up to logically explain it.

mlxe22y7u4x21.png

etz9w5p3ouws.png

Point?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »

mlxe22y7u4x21.png

etz9w5p3ouws.png

Point?

When the books are done, it goes down.
  • So?

My whole point through this whole thread was that D&D were talented showrunners and it's a loss that they won't be working with Disney.

Other's on here are saying their work outside the books is terrible and "universally panned".

It is true that ratings took a slight dip once the book content was done, but the fact of the matter is ~85% of people still held a very favorable view of the series once the source material was no longer published.

-- As an aside I'd argue a ratings dip was inevitable no matter who was running the show as nerdcore readers, fanboys, and internet tough guys would never be pleased by content that departed from their own visions of where the books were going. --

Please explain to me how averaging ~85% favorable rating equates to terrible or universally panned? In the world I live in, that normally equates to success..
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    So?

My whole point through this whole thread was that D&D were talented showrunners and it's a loss that they won't be working with Disney.

Other's on here are saying their work outside the books is terrible and "universally panned".

It is true that ratings took a slight dip once the book content was done, but the fact of the matter is ~85% of people still held a very favorable view of the series once the source material was no longer published.

-- As an aside I'd argue a ratings dip was inevitable no matter who was running the show as nerdcore readers, fanboys, and internet tough guys would never be pleased by content that departed from their own visions of where the books were going. --

Please explain to me how averaging ~85% favorable rating equates to terrible or universally panned? In the world I live in, that normally equates to success..

It's not a slight dip. See what happens starting on metacritic right from the beginning of season 6.

I agree that they are pretty good on anything besides script, i.e. all technical aspects of production but not the vision. Regarding script I didn't think they were especially terrible, just hollywood norm. And this differs from expectations about GOT which set a different precedent beforehand.
  • Beware of graphs whose bottom value along the Y axis isn't zero. It looks a lot less dire when its plotted vs 0-100 instead of 50-100.

Overall I though the budget was blown on special effects for the last two seasons, and fewer episodes results in a rushed pace. Daenyris was definitely headed down a dark path in the seasons leading up to the last one, so it wasn't like hints weren't there, but it still felt sudden when she snapped. Maybe that was intended, but almost everything felt that way.

Overall though I enjoyed the series and was actually happy to see D&D slated for some SW work, because GoT had an epic feel that SW seems to be missing of late.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • 7AnimalMother
    2053 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    stupid delayed edit approval post appeared....
  • R0TJ was the last SW movie as far as I'm concerned.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    Rian Johnson directing and brie Larson acting. Let's bring it on Disney!

Love the sarcasm
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    I'm a little nervous now, having seen Rian Johnson's name mentioned as a possible collaborator on future SW projects.

He wont be doing any more star wars movies. The franchise has gone into damage control since TLJ.

Iger has come out of the woodwork to tell everyone that star wars is going to take a hiatus after E9, not once but twice.

When talking about the future of star wars he mentions the Mandalorian etc. but has never once mentioned Johnson having anything more to do with the franchise.

Only Johnson is the one that takes to interviews and Twitter ranting and raving that he is still involved - only because he doesn't want people to know he has been pushed out of the franchise - he is all washed up.

Disney would never give him control over anything in this franchise again, they need to get it back on track and E9 is the fastest way to do that.

But with Igers second announcement only being a week or 2 ago in the important lead up to E9 - doesn't give me much faith that E9 will be good. I know it wont be, but Iger's last announcement pretty much confirmed that Disney themselves are on edge about it and not confident.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    am I supposed to be impressed that they were able to read a book and make a show about it? of course the series was great, until they screwed it all up. If they were so concerned about hurrying up the ending to go play with netflix they should have handed it off to...well, anyone.

My point is I think some of you guys are being overly harsh on D&D.

The show garnered the 2nd most emmys of all time, and the most for a Drama. That doesn't happen without the two show runners doing an excellent job. While yes, the final season was disappointing, viewed as a whole, GoT was some of the best TV ever produced. I can think of very few shows outside of perhaps Breaking Bad and Band of Brothers that I would consider in the same class.

You are basically marginalizing their work due to the not liking their ending.

Yet what is the point of a story without a solid ending?

They had a duty to the characters they created, the fans etc etc to end GOT in a meaningful way that sat well with the characters that have been developed - they failed.

What good is being an exceptional athlete, outclassing opponents only to take a snooze because you are so far ahead and ultimately losing to the slow tortoise because you took your eye off the ball - that is essentially what they did.