Gear Crunch Check - Post yours

Prev1
nabokovfan
535 posts Member
edited November 2019
I've attached the excel file below if anyone wishes to check their own "gear crunch". I definitely could've included more pieces, but this is just a quick, easy to view snapshot of the worst offenders that I seem to struggle with.

To find out the source data, go to SWGOH.gg and you're going to click on your profile where it says "gear needed". There's green fields indicating where you need to update the data, and the rest of the chart with automatically populate the results.

I ran the numbers, try to be realistic with what I would obtain weekly, and of course I can adjust the formula if I really need to. Needless to say, seeing that it'll take so many years to finish grinding stun guns makes me really hope they add some more weekly event tiers with better gear. It's definitely dependent on how lucky your daily events rewards you, raids, "luck" from the shops, what you spend your currency on in the store, and a variety of factors.

The absolute worst feeling is needing to grind gear on nodes using energy and getting a low droprate for something that you obviously need thousands of.

h36lro1sz1na.png

I'd be interested to see what people think of the timelines... I'm at 3mil GP and I have not nearly enough G12/G13s for obvious reasons. Please take the time to run it for yourself, post what your own personal timeline is.

Replies

• Options
    Well, on paper it looks exactly like it feels in the game. So I would say that is a fairly accurate representation of reality. Well done!!
    Too bad it will be completely ignored by the Devs. If there was ever a post they need to read it is this one.
    And now for the trolls and shills...GO! Hurry and tell us how wrong he is and there is no gear crunch. Be sure to add meaningless examples from your arena and GAC.
  • Options
    Is that list counting all your chars?

The point is not spreed yourself so thin. Invest only on what you care.
    My focus is on separatist, than empire, than something else...
  • Options

It breaks down 2 datapoints. First set is what I am currently geared to. Going up to next year tier. Next is all characters remaining going to g13.

I don't spread myself thin. The entire point is to stay focused. Look at the requirements for General Skywalker, DS geo, etc... There's a lot to get done. There's a lot I'm not gearing but you're talking about characters going up one gear tear, taking a very long time to do so.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    nabokovfan wrote: »

It breaks down 2 datapoints. First set is what I am currently geared to. Going up to next year tier. Next is all characters remaining going to g13.

I don't spread myself thin. The entire point is to stay focused. Look at the requirements for General Skywalker, DS geo, etc... There's a lot to get done. There's a lot I'm not gearing but you're talking about characters going up one gear tear, taking a very long time to do so.

But what value do you see in counting the gear required to take all of your characters to g13, when that's not the intent of the game or a real goal anybody should be interested in? How does that tell the devs anything they should care about, when they don't want you to ever be able to do that without spending money anyway?
  • nabokovfan
    535 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Liath wrote: »

But what value do you see in counting the gear required to take all of your characters to g13, when that's not the intent of the game or a real goal anybody should be interested in? How does that tell the devs anything they should care about, when they don't want you to ever be able to do that without spending money anyway?

The first data point is exactly what needs to be shared. It's all my characters to go up 1 level.
  • Options

Everyone who has played swgoh for any period of time knows you have to focus resources. The real issue is the ever increasing need for the same resources without any new avenues to obtain said resources. G13, relics, new toons but no new content to help gear them up. Drop rates have always been around 10% on farming. That will never change no matter what people say to the contrary. But there are a few simple fixes that could help EVERYONE.
    Add stuguns to the guild store, make the last 4 or 5 pieces of raid only gear farmable on nodes. (Buying is not farming regardless of the currency). Add some new daily challenges or add needed gear to the old ones. This would not break the game but it would show the community that the Devs are listening and actually care.
  • Options
    Again, the sheet is attached and it takes about 5 minutes, please feel free to post it for yourself.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

The first data point is exactly what needs to be shared. It's all my characters to go up 1 level.

"Needs to be shared" for what? I have plenty of characters that I have no intention of every taking up another gear level unless something changes in the game to make them valuable. So why on earth would I (or anybody) care how much gear is required to take all of my characters up a gear level?
  • Options

"Needs to be shared" for what? I have plenty of characters that I have no intention of every taking up another gear level unless something changes in the game to make them valuable. So why on earth would I (or anybody) care how much gear is required to take all of my characters up a gear level?

Because none of the level 1 character need any of the the gear in question to go to level 2. Removing them from the conversation.
    Yes I agree that a bunch of g7 and g8 toons might tilt the numbers a bit but I think for the most part it is a pretty accurate snapshot of the overall gear crunch.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Krashxxxx wrote: »

Because none of the level 1 character need any of the the gear in question to go to level 2. Removing them from the conversation.
    Yes I agree that a bunch of g7 and g8 toons might tilt the numbers a bit but I think for the most part it is a pretty accurate snapshot of the overall gear crunch.

I also have quite a few g9-11 characters that I have no interest in working on, because they got to that gear level back when they were useful for something and haven't been so in a couple of years.
  • Options

I also have quite a few g9-11 characters that I have no interest in working on, because they got to that gear level back when they were useful for something and haven't been so in a couple of years.

Because of relics, what was useful at gear 10-12 can be completely obsoleted. Especially when you consider GeoTB and the difficulty demanding what level squads are needed at a bare minimum level.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

Because of relics, what was useful at gear 10-12 can be completely obsoleted. Especially when you consider GeoTB and the difficulty demanding what level squads are needed at a bare minimum level.

Yes. But these are characters that I'm not currently using for anything. Two years ago when g11 was the highest they could get, they were useful for something, and I geared them up to use them. Since I have no use for them now at any gear level, I have no interest in taking them to g13/relic. So the gear needed to do so is irrelevant to me.
  • Options

Yes. But these are characters that I'm not currently using for anything. Two years ago when g11 was the highest they could get, they were useful for something, and I geared them up to use them. Since I have no use for them now at any gear level, I have no interest in taking them to g13/relic. So the gear needed to do so is irrelevant to me.

That's your personal preference. I have characters at G12 I can't use anymore that I spent a lot of time upgrading. It's a lot of effort to get toons to g13 let alone relics and this list does not include kyrotech, keep that in mind.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying, I feel the exact opposite of what you're saying.
  • Options

No use for Older G11 squads?
    Taking GeoTB as an example —> I tuned up 4 Darkside squads from G11 to G12+3 (leftside gear) and they easily 4/4 phase 1,2 and at least 3/4 in phase 3 and 4

First Order, BHs, EP Empire and Nightsisters.

With no G13s or relics they are doing nicely - once I add in G13 Daka, KRU, Bossk etc I’m sure it will be even better.
  • vksg
    132 posts Member
    Options
    My Top 10
    kb6nynfonni9.png
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    I'm only working on 4 to 8 characters right now and all I need to complete them are g12 finishers or g12+ pieces and finishers

Four nightsisters only need need the g12 finishers and then I have 2 standby toons (GAS, Wat) who are not as important at this time to work on since they aren't 7 stars and two toons (KRU, Kylo) that are pending on what new toons we get or if they get reworked / relic abilities

Not a bad gear grunch tbh
  • Options
    At least we can be happy that we get 3 pieces of kyrotech for daily completion.
    Oh, except that there was absolutely no reason to introduce them in the first place other than to make the gear crunch even worse.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

No use for Older G11 squads?
    Taking GeoTB as an example —> I tuned up 4 Darkside squads from G11 to G12+3 (leftside gear) and they easily 4/4 phase 1,2 and at least 3/4 in phase 3 and 4

First Order, BHs, EP Empire and Nightsisters.

With no G13s or relics they are doing nicely - once I add in G13 Daka, KRU, Bossk etc I’m sure it will be even better.

Ok? I have DS Geo teams. When LS Geo drops we will see what's required for that. I don't really expect that my Lando and Wedge are going to make a great LS Geo team. I expect I will continue to have better options. A variety of things could happen that could cause me to choose to gear up some of these older characters, but until they happen, those characters aren't going on my list. The gear necessary to increase the gear level of ALL of these characters is completely meaningless to me.

That's your personal preference. I have characters at G12 I can't use anymore that I spent a lot of time upgrading. It's a lot of effort to get toons to g13 let alone relics and this list does not include kyrotech, keep that in mind.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying, I feel the exact opposite of what you're saying.

Sure, it's my preference, but it's also the design of the game - you aren't meant to be able to max out every single character, ever, because they keep releasing more characters and more gear farms to keep you from doing so, so that you continue to have something to work towards. That's just how the game is.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    vksg wrote: »
    My Top 10
    kb6nynfonni9.png

What's this tool? Would love to use it.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    So I went way over half of all gear needs to g12 in 4 years as f2p. The underlying assumptions about the gear acquisition rates are off by several folds.

q6efr4kesd3b.png
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    I'm only working on 4 to 8 characters right now and all I need to complete them are g12 finishers or g12+ pieces and finishers

Well, it's good you are down to 4 - 8 given how easy it is to gear them up. Maybe challenge yourself and get it to 10 to 15.

Not so hard, tbh.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    edited November 2019
    Options
    AlexanderG wrote: »

Well, it's good you are down to 4 - 8 given how easy it is to gear them up. Maybe challenge yourself and get it to 10 to 15.

Not so hard, tbh.
    Why would I challenge myself? I am happy with my squad performance and don't see the need to push toons beyond what they are unless I see some significant worth
  • Options
    No_Try wrote: »
    So I went way over half of all gear needs to g12 in 4 years as f2p. The underlying assumptions about the gear acquisition rates are off by several folds.

q6efr4kesd3b.png

Agreed, that's the point of this. 4 years to complete just what you're currently working on is absolutely crippling your progress. Again, it's an estimate, but it's not far off.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

q6efr4kesd3b.png

Agreed, that's the point of this. 4 years to complete just what you're currently working on is absolutely crippling your progress. Again, it's an estimate, but it's not far off.

It's not...crippling my progress, it's my progress xD. In terms of what I would like to have geared, a single stun gun slot on holdo is left. Nothing else does.

That's the difference between your gp and mine. At some point, there's simply nothing worthy left to gear. And at no time you would ever need everything at g12.

Being a day 1 player I know I'm in a minority, but lowbie gear crunch do ease up after you sweep all teams that are considered worth of mass pvp modes and pilots (about 100 g12+13 combined) and primary focus shifts to g12+ needs.
  • Options
    AlexanderG wrote: »

Not so hard, tbh.
    Why would I challenge myself? I am happy with my squad performance and don't see the need to push toons beyond what they are unless I see some significant worth

Because, according to you, gearing up isn't hard.
    Duh.
    Your guild might also appreciate another few fully geared squads for TW and TB. It's not so hard, after all.
  • Options
    This won’t be news but g12+ pieces are a real disappointment to farm not to mention the toons I’m working on at the moment often share pieces
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks to the awesome tool @vksg provided, here's a glimpse at how much I've got -done- vs -to do- and how 12+ parts takes precedence at a certain point.

cuvpjvqnkrwt.png
  • vksg
    132 posts Member
    Options
    you're welcome @No_Try
    In terms of gear crunch I'd go with the table counting salvage instead of full pieces. Like Mk5 stun guns that are used in Mk6 stun guns as well. Other prominent examples include eyeballs, stun cuffs, carbantis and - with the release of finishers - kyrotechs and droid callers. Those bottlenecks are kind of "hidden" in different gear pieces as long as you don't count flat salvage numbers instead.
  • Options
    Being a day 1 player I know I'm in a minority, but lowbie gear crunch do ease up after you sweep all teams that are considered worth of mass pvp modes and pilots (about 100 g12+13 combined) and primary focus shifts to g12+ needs.

That's the reason why you probably will never understand what TS talking about without getting an alt and putting it in the growing guild. I'm currently at 3.1m GP. I have less than 30 G12. My backlog on literally every piece of rare gear is 30-50 characters (and yes, I really want to gear most of them because their absence cripples me in different situations), and it's even without chars which are currently level 1 because I understand I just don't have resources for them. And in the future situation will become even worse because with huge power jump with relics CG must build new challenges (raids, legendaries, etc) around R4-7 characters.

I perfectly understand that there should be gear crunch on high gear levels (which is currently G12+ and relics). But I don't understand why 3m+ player should struggle to gear up new toons starting from level 8 and choose, for example, where he should put his Droid Caller - on the fresh G8-9-10 toon or on G13 finisher. Having exactly same bottlenecks on low-end and high-end gear is out of sense.