The Mandalorian is Out *SPOILER ALERT*

Prev1
FREEDOMfrom
474 posts Member
edited November 2019
Anyone else watch it yet? I watched it last night and I thought it was pretty good.

Things I enjoyed:
  • main character (for the most part)
  • the fighting
  • the guy who gives him the large bounty
  • the surprise

A few quirks that I did not enjoy:
  • that blue guy
  • the ship flying off when clearly the mandalorian was not flying the ship
  • he's supposed to be a 'lone wolf' type of guy and he trusted others/let others help him very quickly

But overall I liked it. The guy who gave him the big money bounty is a great character. The main guy seems awesome, I like that he doesn't talk much. And that surprise at the end, wow.
Post edited by FREEDOMfrom on

Replies

• I'll probably check it out tonight. Been looking forward to it since the cast was revealed.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    In response to your point about what he's "supposed to be" (i.e. lone wolf) - I think that's an assumption on your part. He's a bounty hunter and a Mandalorian (i.e. "warrior") - but there is nothing that that suggests he is automatically a "lone wolf". IMHO, he simply seems to be a good judge of character (at least to this point) and a good judge of when he could use some help.

As far as the ship flying off on it's own, "auto pilot" is a pretty well established norm in the Star Wars univers.

I think the point of the blue guy was to simply show that he (the Mandalorian) doesn't get involved in the "who is right and wrong" - just brings in bounties.

BTW, you might want to include a [spoilers] tag in the thread title even if there haven't been any big ones posted yet.
    Post edited by Nikoms565 on
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Cs99
    146 posts Member
    baby clone of yoda or another member of his species?
  • I very much enjoyed the style of the show, ajd the western feel. a few of the scenes were exempt of music like when they were in the cantinas and offices which reminded me of the OT. The IG unit was great and can't wait to see where the show goes.

Not a fan of basically the entire first episode being the trailers but I guess that means most of the rest of the season is unseen footage. Also some of the CGi was a bit poor quality which I was surprised of seeing as this show is basically Disney's flagship show for Disney+
  • Cs99 wrote: »
    I think it's another member of his species - which is still significant, as that species doesn't even have a name in lore...yet. Yoda and Yaddle were believed to be the only two left
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Don’t read because you can’t unread and once it’s pointed out it will bug the hell outa you....

You’ve been warned....

What is with the shaky cam through the whole episode... my wife pointed it out and I could barely watch it after it was pointed out... the whole thing was either filmed on an IPhone by someone with crazy good skills or their mounting bracket on there tripod was broken... either way it was most notable in the OK Coral style shootout.
  • Now that I watched it, I'll say that it didn't blow me away, but it was solid enough to make me wanna come back to see what's gonna happen next.

• Pedro Pascal fit into that role like a glove
    • Action was pretty solid. (Didn't notice excessive shaky cam that Foxer mentioned, but maybe if I watched it again... lol
    • Hopefully we see more of IG-11
    • I'm interested to see what they do with the baby Yoda species

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the first episode and am excited to see more of it and learn more about the main character and supporting cast(Carl Weathers, Gina Carano, etc..).
  • It's too early to tell if the story is any good, but the production quality seems pretty solid. The 2.33:1 aspect made me forget I was watching a TV show until it abruptly ended. The CGI was about as expected for episodic TV - good, not great. The sparing bits of music I'm not sold on, but SW has set a pretty high bar there.

Overall I'm pretty excited to see the rest - I've been looking forward to a live action SW series for a long, long time.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • @FREEDOMfrom how about adding a spoiler alert to thread title so we can talk without using spoilers in every post?

Also, I liked it. I'm with most ppl here in that it didn't blow me away, but I want to see more. And the end...hmm.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Cs99 wrote: »
    I think it's another member of his species - which is still significant, as that species doesn't even have a name in lore...yet. Yoda and Yaddle were believed to be the only two left
    well... there's a male and a female right there lol
  • Added the *SPOILER ALERT* to the title.

So we are good to go now haha.

So yeah, overall I liked it. I think IG-11 will be back, somehow (I guess repairs), and the baby yoda species was a shock. But I can't see the Mandalorian just giving him to that old dude so easily. Its pretty clear he wants it killed.
  • Added the *SPOILER ALERT* to the title.

So yeah, overall I liked it. I think IG-11 will be back, somehow (I guess repairs), and the baby yoda species was a shock. But I can't see the Mandalorian just giving him to that old dude so easily. Its pretty clear he wants it killed.

That baby Yoda was a HUGE shock. This isn't just a plot point that you can forget in an episode or 2. This is big enough of a revelation to make the entire season(at least) revolve around. I mean, they can't just introduce something like that into canon in passing like that.

Ugh, Netflix has spoiled me with the binge watch format! I really was ready to binge multiple episodes in one sitting. lol
  • Why did the issuers of the bounty seem to prefer the little yoda alive, then ig stated it was ordered to be terminated? Wonder if they had different employers?
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    Why did the issuers of the bounty seem to prefer the little yoda alive, then ig stated it was ordered to be terminated? Wonder if they had different employers?

If you remember the old dude said "alive, but if circumstances come up, dead is ok." Then the other dude was like no alive. And the old dude just kinda waived him off.

But he could have different employers, they both thought they were the only one for the job.
  • Overall good but a lot of fan service. Hope they introduce IG-88 and other bounty hunters.

Loved the underground Empire.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Next episode is in 2 days FYI. It will be releasing every friday except when Rise of Skywalker comes out, then it will be that wednesday. Not sure if it'll be 9pm PST or 12am PST yet.
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Overall good but a lot of fan service. Hope they introduce IG-88 and other bounty hunters.

Wouldn't that be even more fan service though, if they introduce existing bounty hunters rather than original characters?

I wouldn't mind the reference or cameo of some existing BH, but I hope the focus stays on new characters. It lets them have more creative freedom than being restricted to existing canon that exists with legacy characters. I think I remember reading an interview somewhere that they made that droid IG-11 rather than IG-88 for that specific reason. They said they didn't want to affect the character's legacy with the fans or something like that, IIRC.

And yeah, the whole remnants of the Empire thing is pretty cool. I'm pretty excited to see what the do with this new uncharted territory!

• sn7l4ns7fc4n.jpg
  • willennium wrote: »
    Added the *SPOILER ALERT* to the title.

That baby Yoda was a HUGE shock. This isn't just a plot point that you can forget in an episode or 2. This is big enough of a revelation to make the entire season(at least) revolve around. I mean, they can't just introduce something like that into canon in passing like that.

Ugh, Netflix has spoiled me with the binge watch format! I really was ready to binge multiple episodes in one sitting. lol

Oh, see - I much prefer it this way. Give me a day or two to digest, think and talk through what happened and where it could lead. In some ways, it allows the watcher to be more intellectually involved, rather than just sitting back and letting them show me everything in a several hour clump.

• Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Things I disliked: Nothing
    Things I liked: Everything

Great to see:
    1. People speaking different langauges
    2. Different species (hardly any humans!)
    3. Felt like a large universe, that introduced a lot things to the SW lore (new planet, species, history, animals)
    4. The attention of detail (Stormtroopers for example, the armor, etc)
    5. The whole "make your armor" type of RPG goal that's going on and restoring the mandalorian culture (?)
    6. The whole implied history, people are referencing things and events nobody knows about (what happened to the mandalorian tribe?), you can tell these characters have established backstories
    7. Speaks little but has a lot of weight in his words

I hope it keeps up this momentum
    I am in love with this show
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Overall good but a lot of fan service. Hope they introduce IG-88 and other bounty hunters.

How is that a bad thing?!? I love how Dave Filoni knows what a lot of fans really want, at least those who already liked his work on Clone Wars and Rebels. It was about time they let him make a live action series.
    I watched the pilot episode twice already and can't wait for the next episodes. The scene with the Mandalorian blacksmith and the appreciation of Beskar('gam) was epic and part of what shows he knows what he's doing with the lore. Some people complained about the CGI, don't forget this is a TV show, not a cinematic movie. Stil I find it looked pretty good. Especially when you compare, some species like the Blurrgs for example, have only existed in the animated shows so far and I found they turned out really vivid.
    LordDirt wrote: »

Wouldn't that be even more fan service though, if they introduce existing bounty hunters rather than original characters?

I wouldn't mind the reference or cameo of some existing BH, but I hope the focus stays on new characters. It lets them have more creative freedom than being restricted to existing canon that exists with legacy characters. I think I remember reading an interview somewhere that they made that droid IG-11 rather than IG-88 for that specific reason. They said they didn't want to affect the character's legacy with the fans or something like that, IIRC.

And yeah, the whole remnants of the Empire thing is pretty cool. I'm pretty excited to see what the do with this new uncharted territory!

I believe ig11 was an ig88 clone, but can't remember where I read it.

Either way he's kinda cool. Pretty badass but looks like he might add a little comic relief also. Reminds me a little of k2so.
  • Foxer wrote: »
    Don’t read because you can’t unread and once it’s pointed out it will bug the hell outa you....

You’ve been warned....

What is with the shaky cam through the whole episode... my wife pointed it out and I could barely watch it after it was pointed out... the whole thing was either filmed on an IPhone by someone with crazy good skills or their mounting bracket on there tripod was broken... either way it was most notable in the OK Coral style shootout.

These things are generally shot with steady cam and the shake is added digitally.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    . The whole "make your armor" type of RPG goal that's going on and restoring the mandalorian culture (?)
    6. The whole implied history, people are referencing things and events nobody knows about (what happened to the mandalorian tribe?), you can tell these characters have established backstories

Hopefully they explain a little more of the lore as the episodes go on for the sake of casual viewers who aren't big Star Wars fans. I was watching with my wife and I had to stop and explain a few things to her like what exactly a Mandalorian is and why it's significant, why do they wear armor that looks like Boba Fett, etc... But I imagine if it was just a random person checking out the show, they might be kind of confused.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Anyone else watch it yet? I watched it last night and I thought it was pretty good.

Things I enjoyed:
    • main character (for the most part)
    • the fighting
    • the guy who gives him the large bounty
    • the surprise

A few quirks that I did not enjoy:
    • that blue guy
    • the ship flying off when clearly the mandalorian was not flying the ship
    • he's supposed to be a 'lone wolf' type of guy and he trusted others/let others help him very quickly

But overall I liked it. The guy who gave him the big money bounty is a great character. The main guy seems awesome, I like that he doesn't talk much. And that surprise at the end, wow.

I'd agree with your view.

The blue guy didn't bother me, just another bounty. As for the ship flying away, perhaps he has some sort of auto pilot setting to get into orbit before lightspeed - who knows.

Another huge plus for me was IG-11. I thought he was awesome. I understand Favreau did not want to risk tarnishing the character of IG-88,but lets all face it, if this character was IG-88, that would have been super awesome. Especially since you can't get worse at disrespecting an existing character than Luke in TLJ, especially a minor background character like 88 - this could be his chance to shine!

Oh well.

I am intrigued but extremely skeptical about where they are going to take the whole "surprise" at the end. Jury's deliberating their verdict on that one.

I also am annoyed that award winning shows like Cobra Kai on YouTube air with a fuill season, yet with all the teasing we have had leading up to Disney+ all we get is one episode of the Mandalorian - seems pretty weak if you ask me.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    CadoaBane wrote: »

How is that a bad thing?!? I love how Dave Filoni knows what a lot of fans really want, at least those who already liked his work on Clone Wars and Rebels. It was about time they let him make a live action series.
    I watched the pilot episode twice already and can't wait for the next episodes. The scene with the Mandalorian blacksmith and the appreciation of Beskar('gam) was epic and part of what shows he knows what he's doing with the lore. Some people complained about the CGI, don't forget this is a TV show, not a cinematic movie. Stil I find it looked pretty good. Especially when you compare, some species like the Blurrgs for example, have only existed in the animated shows so far and I found they turned out really vivid.

I believe those creatures originated and one large version was introduced in the 2nd Ewok movie - Battle for Endor.

yep - I'm right there:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Blurrg
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    willennium wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    . The whole "make your armor" type of RPG goal that's going on and restoring the mandalorian culture (?)

Hopefully they explain a little more of the lore as the episodes go on for the sake of casual viewers who aren't big Star Wars fans. I was watching with my wife and I had to stop and explain a few things to her like what exactly a Mandalorian is and why it's significant, why do they wear armor that looks like Boba Fett, etc... But I imagine if it was just a random person checking out the show, they might be kind of confused.

They don't need to explain anything, even the character's apparent "established" back stories. I mean they didn't feel the need to explain Snoke - he was just a dude, right?

That was me just joking.

I get what you mean. I had to explain things to my wife, such as the importance of their armor and what they meant when the kept mentioning "the guild" etc.
    Ultra wrote: »

But... the show is not exactly made for the "random person checking out" and I like that. It is made for fans, by makers who really are Star Wars fans themselves. I would love it if they add more details and easter-eggs that you will only fully understand when you know the lore. There's more than enough mainstream out there, and in the best case, the show will make people want to dive deeper into the lore.
    Boo wrote: »
    CadoaBane wrote: »

I believe those creatures originated and one large version was introduced in the 2nd Ewok movie - Battle for Endor.

yep - I'm right there:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Blurrg
    Thank you for this info. :) I guess those Ewok movies belong to the few parts of Star Wars history that I honestly never watched. As for graphics, I can only imagine the Blurrgs can't have looked very good back then. Still nice to know.
  • Really liking the show so far. The end credit art is fantastic.

Visually it’s top notch.

I read somewhere that Favreu wanted to explore what else is going on around episode 4/OT and so far I think that is spot on.

Jawas and Ugnaughts. BH droids. Small little parts that aren’t corny but seem ... right.

Even bringing in Mandolorian armor mythology is great.

It also carries on the tradition of some of the best Star Wars content is on the small screen and that’s no surprise when you have Filoni there.

Another reason I enjoy this show like I do with R1 and Solo, is that it’s not mired down with this overwrought sense of “the fate of everything hangs in the balance.”

2/10 episodes so far and I’m hooked. Can’t wait for more.
  • Really liking the show so far. The end credit art is fantastic.

Visually it’s top notch.

I read somewhere that Favreu wanted to explore what else is going on around episode 4/OT and so far I think that is spot on.

Jawas and Ugnaughts. BH droids. Small little parts that aren’t corny but seem ... right.

Even bringing in Mandolorian armor mythology is great.

It also carries on the tradition of some of the best Star Wars content is on the small screen and that’s no surprise when you have Filoni there.

Another reason I enjoy this show like I do with R1 and Solo, is that it’s not mired down with this overwrought sense of “the fate of everything hangs in the balance.”

2/10 episodes so far and I’m hooked. Can’t wait for more.

Theres 8 episodes I believe