The Mandalorian

Prev1345
Boo
4134 posts Member
Why is it that award winning shows like the sequel to the Karate Kid movies, Cobra Kai, on YouTube launches with a full season, yet the Mandalorian all we get is 1 episode?

Its a bit of a strange way of doing things on Disney's part. I was expecting the full first season of the Mandalorian to be available.

Anyone's thoughts there?

Additionally, what do people think of the first Episode? (please follow forum spoiler rules if you are to give away anything thanks).

Personally I enjoyed the first episode and I am looking forward to see how it unfolds, story-wise.

Sets, location, costume development, music, casting and effects were all top notch! This show could be what breathes life back into the franchise in my opinion, especially if we get the Obi Wan show as well.

Replies

• Probably because disney either A. Doesn't want people to sign up for the free trial, binge watch a few things and the cancel.. B. Download/pirate the whole season and sell/give it away for free. Or C. Not launch with an overload of content.. my money's on the first 2 though.

Also I agree with all your points, favreax and filoni are going to kill this series! I just wished the episode was maybe 10? Minutes longer. Still a great pilot, with a bit of info, and some hints/clues/history that hooks you and leaves you wanting more.
  • Boo wrote: »
    Why is it that award winning shows like the sequel to the Karate Kid movies, Cobra Kai, on YouTube launches with a full season, yet the Mandalorian all we get is 1 episode?

Its a bit of a strange way of doing things on Disney's part. I was expecting the full first season of the Mandalorian to be available.

Anyone's thoughts there?

Additionally, what do people think of the first Episode? (please follow forum spoiler rules if you are to give away anything thanks).

Personally I enjoyed the first episode and I am looking forward to see how it unfolds, story-wise.

Sets, location, costume development, music, casting and effects were all top notch! This show could be what breathes life back into the franchise in my opinion, especially if we get the Obi Wan show as well.

Probably because this is how TV shows traditionally work. You release an episode each week over a span of time. Personally, I really hate streaming service shows that release an entire season 1 time per year as it just leads to a binge once per year (while trying to remember the previous seasons events). If you are going to release an entire season at once why not just call it a movie?

As for the show itself, I really enjoyed the pacing and feel to the show. It seems very fitting to a live-action sw show. Also thought that the first episode did a great job of pulling you in without really giving away much of the season's plot.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • With a slow release they get more money and it builds the show. Now we get to think about each episode and discuss with others instead of just going to the next few episodes and forgetting stuff.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I get that they don't want people to sign up for free month trial, binge the whole show and then quit - that makes total sense.

But, there is going to be free torents to download of the show anyways. So whatever.

Aside from that, I think maybe they should have released more than 1 episode, maybe not a full season, but perhaps 3 episodes, enough to wet our appetites, considering how much the show has been built up.

Personally, I don't get people who binge watch a season once. If the season and/or show is good enough, people are likely to see it more than once.

I saw the first season of Cobra Kai on YouTube probably 3-4 times before season 2 came out the following year.

I also saw Game of Thrones several times (albeit season 8 only once - but that's probably understandable).

If they gave us 3 shows, we'd be more happy, the people getting the free trial would likely stay on (as well as the return of the Clone Wars series around the corner and Obi Wan), as they got more content than 1 meansly episode and it also keeps us hanging a bit for more.

But I recently learned they will be streaming a new episode weekly, except in and around the release of TROS, for some reason. I guess those at Disney still believe the myth of Star Wars fatigue, lol
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Whet.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    Whet.
    hqdefault.jpg

• TVF
    36519 posts Member
    That image really deserves a typo.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    With a slow release they get more money and it builds the show. Now we get to think about each episode and discuss with others instead of just going to the next few episodes and forgetting stuff.

Which I actually prefer. That way I don't feel "pressured" into watching as much as possible as fast as possible for fear that someone is further along than me and will spoil a plot line or episode.

I was actually delighted to find out that it was just one episode (which I watched a second time already - and will likely watch one more time prior to watching the second one over the weekend).
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I prefer when they binge release, but not so I can binge watch it in 2 days.

I just like to be able to come home from work & watch 1 episode a night for 2 weeks & knock out a season that way.

Faster than 1x a week but not 13 episodes in 2 days either.
  • I prefer when they binge release, but not so I can binge watch it in 2 days.

I just like to be able to come home from work & watch 1 episode a night for 2 weeks & knock out a season that way.

Faster than 1x a week but not 13 episodes in 2 days either.

At least it isn't like the old days on TV where you had to be home and watching at a certain time every week. And if you missed it, you were SOL.

We sure have gotten spoiled.
  • The reason they can't bring the whole season at once is that it doesn't exist at the time being. More episodes will be made and in the same concept be released over time, simple as that.

I had fun watching it! A bit foreseeable at some points but that's totally fine. The one thing i found a bit disturbing was
    his walking, almost like he had a stick in his..you know what i mean.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • The actor's walking is definitely stiff. I wander whether that's partly due to the costume imposed physical restrictions or actor's supposed perception of how such a character would walk with the study of Jango/Boba Fett material out there?

IMO the feel of the episode reminds me of the main films and I'm into the camera filters and other aesthetics on the screen.
    Also, nice first opening line at the bar...
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    The actor's walking is definitely stiff. I wander whether that's partly due to the costume imposed physical restrictions or actor's supposed perception of how such a character would walk with the study of Jango/Boba Fett material out there?

IMO the feel of the episode reminds me of the main films and I'm into the camera filters and other aesthetics on the screen.
    Also, nice first opening line at the bar...

I'd say the walking has more to do with capturing the old "western" feel.
  • Episode 2 was so **** good. Excited for star wars again, this is crazy!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    As with the show being released slowly like this - my issue is that this was the flagship show, heavily marketed for the release of Disney+ and we only get one show?

People make comments that they haven't made them all yet - ****, the whole season is finished and ready to go, already looking toward season 2.

I get that Disney doesn't want people to sign up under the free trial, binge watch the whole thing then leave, but if they produce content that people want to watch over and over they also have the return of the clone wars around the corner and obi wan in the distance, not to mention anything else Disney related that will hit Disney+.

I feel that the way how they are releasing episodes is like dangling a carrot in front of a donkey and I think (especially after the hype) they should be treating fans better than this.

Star warts fans are already upset with the franchise under the "Disney" banner - what has been happening with this game, Battlefront 2, the cost of Galaxy's Edge and the insults towards fans after TLJ and Solo - I feel Disney has lost touch with the star wars fans.

Now you compare subscribing to a streaming service against those that use pirate bay for free and illegally. I think most people and families would rather go the streaming service route, but need to be treated a little better than what we are getting from Disney+ in regard to the Mandalorian.

If shows like Cobra Kai on YouTube get released with complete seasons and still keep fan demand, re-watching and also win awards massively popular review to be moving on to a 3rd season now and still going strong - then I am sure the Mandalorian can handle it as well.

Like I say we are being treated like donkeys with a carrot dangling in front, eeking out episodes as they are. Its pretty weak, especially coming from a multi-billion dollar company like Disney.
    As with the show being released slowly like this - my issue is that this was the flagship show, heavily marketed for the release of Disney+ and we only get one show?

People make comments that they haven't made them all yet - ****, the whole season is finished and ready to go, already looking toward season 2.

I get that Disney doesn't want people to sign up under the free trial, binge watch the whole thing then leave, but if they produce content that people want to watch over and over they also have the return of the clone wars around the corner and obi wan in the distance, not to mention anything else Disney related that will hit Disney+.

I feel that the way how they are releasing episodes is like dangling a carrot in front of a donkey and I think (especially after the hype) they should be treating fans better than this.

Star warts fans are already upset with the franchise under the "Disney" banner - what has been happening with this game, Battlefront 2, the cost of Galaxy's Edge and the insults towards fans after TLJ and Solo - I feel Disney has lost touch with the star wars fans.

Now you compare subscribing to a streaming service against those that use pirate bay for free and illegally. I think most people and families would rather go the streaming service route, but need to be treated a little better than what we are getting from Disney+ in regard to the Mandalorian.

If shows like Cobra Kai on YouTube get released with complete seasons and still keep fan demand, re-watching and also win awards massively popular review to be moving on to a 3rd season now and still going strong - then I am sure the Mandalorian can handle it as well.

Like I say we are being treated like donkeys with a carrot dangling in front, eeking out episodes as they are. Its pretty weak, especially coming from a multi-billion dollar company like Disney.

You get an incredible amount of content for $7 a month and you feel like a donkey??

Hope you didn't buy $8 packs in game.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »

You get an incredible amount of content for $7 a month and you feel like a donkey??

The thing is I already have everything I like that Disney+ has to offer, other than the Mandalorian - which, as I said, is eeking out its release of episodes, on the highly anticipated flagship show of the entire Disney+ service.

So yes, I feel like a donkey being led by a carrot, and I am likely not the only one that feels that way.

The thing is I already have everything I like that Disney+ has to offer, other than the Mandalorian - which, as I said, is eeking out its release of episodes, on the highly anticipated flagship show of the entire Disney+ service.

So yes, I feel like a donkey being led by a carrot, and I am likely not the only one that feels that way.

Then I guess wait till the season is over to buy it... sorry life is so hard.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited November 2019

Pirates Bay it is then. That's my point. treat the fans who are subscribing and paying money right and no issue, do what they have done and people will resort to other options.

Pirates Bay it is then. That's my point. treat the fans who are subscribing and paying money right and no issue, do what they have done and people will resort to other options.

So if something you want is overpriced in your opinion, just steal it. Got it.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited November 2019

No, I subscribed to Disney+ and to me, it wasn't as advertised. Like I say I don't believe they are treating subscribers decently in how they are rolling out highly anticipated and marketed content - it felt like a bait and switch.

The content they have weakly put out upon grand opening isn't enough to keep me and likely many other people hooked on their subscription. Like I say in streaming services today, like it or not, their competition is the likes of Pirate Bay.

I also said that I and likely many other people would prefer to have their subscription and access the content that they are paying for. Failing that, people will look elsewhere.

No, I subscribed to Disney+ and to me, it wasn't as advertised. Like I say I don't believe they are treating subscribers decently in how they are rolling out highly anticipated and marketed content - it felt like a bait and switch.

The content they have weakly put out upon grand opening isn't enough to keep me and likely many other people hooked on their subscription. Like I say in streaming services today, like it or not, their competition is the likes of Pirate Bay.

I also said that I and likely many other people would prefer to have their subscription and access the content that they are paying for. Failing that, people will look elsewhere.

Funny, cuz if you look at business articles the big question right now is whether netflix will survive Disney. Guess some people think differently than you.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Funny, cuz if you look at business articles the big question right now is whether netflix will survive Disney. Guess some people think differently than you.

That is a different issue entirely. Netflix has survived this long, and in competition with the likes of Pirate Bay and was still going strong, almost in every household.

However other streaming services have erupted giving it competition such as Amazon Prime, Crave etc. and Netflix was still able to hold its head above water.

One of the important things about Netflix was it had the Marvel movies while in their prime, since launch of the MCU phase 1 all the way to End Game.

Now Disney has come along pulled all their Marvel, Star Wars and other related Disney content from Netflix.

Also Warner Bros. is starting its own streaming service too, pulling more content from Netflix's library.

Netflix is in a bad spot. All this streaming content was better under one banner such as Netflix - you disassemble that and split it up onto multiple streaming services were families have to subscribe to many different streaming companies and some are going to lose.

Netflix is now but a shell of what it once was.

Will Disney+ be one that loses or fails - who knows, likely not. It is Disney after all. But I will say this about Disney+ it has NO other content other than Disney.

Star Wars is also going through rough times in general. End Game efficiently ended the MCU, so the MCU is now having to reinvent itself to stay alive - more shows announced and movies. Some people are losing interest in the hype of Marvel following End Game and I do not believe its popularity is the same.

So who knows how Marvel will turn around and keep people interested and who knows if Disney will get star wars back on its feet. I think many people have lost faith in the ST (even before TROS is released), but the Mandalorian and Obi Wan shows as well as the return of the clone wars hold promise. Star wars could fall flat, but it may turn around.

Either way, the new Disney streaming service has most of its stock in Star Wars and Marvel - so, we'll see.

That is a different issue entirely. Netflix has survived this long, and in competition with the likes of Pirate Bay and was still going strong, almost in every household.

However other streaming services have erupted giving it competition such as Amazon Prime, Crave etc. and Netflix was still able to hold its head above water.

One of the important things about Netflix was it had the Marvel movies while in their prime, since launch of the MCU phase 1 all the way to End Game.

Now Disney has come along pulled all their Marvel, Star Wars and other related Disney content from Netflix.

Also Warner Bros. is starting its own streaming service too, pulling more content from Netflix's library.

Netflix is in a bad spot. All this streaming content was better under one banner such as Netflix - you disassemble that and split it up onto multiple streaming services were families have to subscribe to many different streaming companies and some are going to lose.

Will Disney+ be one that loses or fails - who knows, likely not. It is Disney after all. But I will say this about Disney+ it has NO other content other than Disney.

Star Wars is also going through rough times in general. End Game efficiently ended the MCU, so the MCU is now having to reinvent itself to stay alive - more shows announced and movies. Some people are losing interest in the hype of Marvel following End Game and I do not believe its popularity is the same.

So who knows how Marvel will turn around and keep people interested and who knows if Disney will get star wars back on its feet. I think many people have lost faith in the ST (even before TROS is released), but the Mandalorian and Obi Wan shows as well as the return of the clone wars hold promise. Star wars could fall flat, but it may turn around.

Either way, the new Disney streaming service has most of its stock in Star Wars and Marvel - so, we'll see.

That's quite a carrot they're holding out.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited November 2019

My carrot reference is stringing people along as they eek out episodes of the Mandalorian, that everyone has already subscribed to Disney+ to watch, expecting at least more than 1 single episode.

Like I say, bait and switch, followed by the carrot.

My carrot reference is stringing people along as they eek out episodes of the Mandalorian, that everyone has already subscribed to Disney+ to watch, expecting at least more than 1 single episode.

Like I say, bait and switch, followed by the carrot.

Not sure why it was fair to expect a full season.
  • Btw, episode 2 is already up! Enjoy :smiley:
  • Seeing as how Disney+ won't be available in the UK for quite some time, I have no other choice but to watch it elsewhere online.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Seeing as how Disney+ won't be available in the UK for quite some time, I have no other choice but to watch it elsewhere online.

I wouldn't say no choice. Waiting is a valid option.
  • How is it bait and switch when the release schedule has beenout for the Mandalorian? You must be under 25, back in my day you sat in front of the tv when the show started or you missed it lol. No streaming or recording. Get over your instant gratification and go worry about something important.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?