CCyrilS wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    Seeing as how Disney+ won't be available in the UK for quite some time, I have no other choice but to watch it elsewhere online.

I wouldn't say no choice. Waiting is a valid option.

Perfectly valid, but extremely unlikely.
    LordDirt wrote: »
    How is it bait and switch when the release schedule has beenout for the Mandalorian? You must be under 25, back in my day you sat in front of the tv when the show started or you missed it lol. No streaming or recording. Get over your instant gratification and go worry about something important.

Your day is not my day. I have no reason to think about or care for how old people used to watch TV when they were young, because the way it was once done is irrelevant to how it is done today.
    This made my day! :D When I grew up, there were no flat screens yet, we had video recorders as DVDs weren't invented yet, and we barely knew that something called 'Internet' existed... and I'm only in my early 30s! ;)

It is a true statement, in considering we now live in a digital era, compared to how we grew up. I expect something and I think many people do, based on what the technology today can give and does give.

Its got nothing to do with "entitlement" just what people are now used to and grown to expect.

Isn't expecting things the definition of entitlement?

No. Look it up.

I did. Did you?

You obviously didn't though - expecting to get something and not getting something, doesn't necessarily mean that your expectation was built upon an entitled point of view.

However in my argument about only getting one episode instead of an entire season, I guess you could say that was entitlement, based on paying a subscription.

However that was merely an after thought of mine.

I am a fan of the YouTube show Cobra Kai, which releases its show one season at a time in its entirety - so a presumption that was going to be the norm of how exclusive shows are released - particularly when the adds for Disney + state "Stream the season of the first Star Wars live action show" - note that add remarks a "season" not the first episodes, which is what we got - so again, saying that makes my line of thinking entitled, isn't really the case.

You say no entitlement, then your second paragraph says maybe entitlement...i stopped reading then.

That's why you don't get it - because you don't read.

I meant maybe it could be seen as entitlement, but go on to explain why its not. Read, that's what you went to school for me lad. :smile:

Dude, you keep making my point. You're used to something that's easy, and when it's not you're upset.

That. Is. Entitlement.

No mate, I am 40 years old, nothing in my life has ever been easy, so I am not used to that at all, lol.

Then why are you so upset you're getting one episode at a time? You should be used to it like I am. I don't understand.

Because times have changed, and that's not typically how things should be done nowadays.

And in the essence of repeating myself, there is other streaming services that do release full seasons at a time.

The other repetition I will say again is that Disney+ offered subscribers to stream the series of the Mandalorian, not an episode at a time - apparently you have to read the smaller print of the add to understand that, which I didn't, and probably lots of other people didn't either.

You should add "hoo" to the end of your name.

Hahahaha - very witty. I suppose it took you a while to come up with that. What a smart chap you are.
  • Boo wrote: »
    Seeing as how Disney+ won't be available in the UK for quite some time, I have no other choice but to watch it elsewhere online.

How is it bait and switch when the release schedule has beenout for the Mandalorian? You must be under 25, back in my day you sat in front of the tv when the show started or you missed it lol. No streaming or recording. Get over your instant gratification and go worry about something important.

Your day is not my day. I have no reason to think about or care for how old people used to watch TV when they were young, because the way it was once done is irrelevant to how it is done today.
    This made my day! :D When I grew up, there were no flat screens yet, we had video recorders as DVDs weren't invented yet, and we barely knew that something called 'Internet' existed... and I'm only in my early 30s! ;)

It is a true statement, in considering we now live in a digital era, compared to how we grew up. I expect something and I think many people do, based on what the technology today can give and does give.

Its got nothing to do with "entitlement" just what people are now used to and grown to expect.

Why, in every thread you argue, must you insist on speaking for everyone else? Disney never said they were releasing an entire season at once, nor did I expect it. And I am completely fine with that. In fact, I prefer it that way.

You are entitled to your opinion - but please stop acting like it's everyone else's too.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
    I am a fan of the YouTube show Cobra Kai, which releases its show one season at a time in its entirety - so a presumption that was going to be the norm of how exclusive shows are released - particularly when the adds for Disney + state "Stream the season of the first Star Wars live action show" - note that add remarks a "season" not the first episodes, which is what we got - so again, saying that makes my line of thinking entitled, isn't really the case.

I'm a fan of Westworld, Rick and Morty, and The Expanse so I presumed The Mandalorian would release one episode a week in the same manner as these shows.

I also paid attention to news on the Disney+ launch so I knew by late summer that they weren't following the Netflix model.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Why, in every thread you argue, must you insist on speaking for everyone else? Disney never said they were releasing an entire season at once, nor did I expect it. And I am completely fine with that. In fact, I prefer it that way.

You are entitled to your opinion - but please stop acting like it's everyone else's too.

When did I act like this is everyone else's opinion, I spoke my opinion and people challenged me on it - end of.

Why don't you go whine about something else to someone else.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

I'm a fan of Westworld, Rick and Morty, and The Expanse so I presumed The Mandalorian would release one episode a week in the same manner as these shows.

I also paid attention to news on the Disney+ launch so I knew by late summer that they weren't following the Netflix model.

But they are following the Netflix model - one episode a week, right?

I didn't read the details how Disney was going to release the Mandalorian, shame on me.

Like I said the adds across social media for Disney+ and the Mandalorian states "stream the series", but the series isn't available. Its misleading at face value.

Not knowing those details and how other shows can and do release full seasons and still are award winning shows with a huge following, it wasn't a stretch to imagine (taking the adds at face value as well) that a multi-billion dollar like Disney would release the series, as it led to believe.

Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

No. They aren't following the Netflix model. I thought this is what you were complaining about. Netflix releases all episodes for a season at once. All of the shows listed have been released one episode a week or so up until now. Nor is Disney+ following the Netflix model. And this was known as far back as August.

Not knowing those details and how other shows can and do release full seasons and still are award winning shows with a huge following, it wasn't a stretch to imagine (taking the adds at face value as well) that a multi-billion dollar like Disney would release the series, as it led to believe.

It's not hard to grasp. People are simply telling you that you should not have expected this. There is no one dominant model. There is no reason to expect one over the other. If you think Disney's advertising lead you to believe the opposite of what Disney had already stated then that's your mistake (as you admit). You read your own beliefs and preferences into the advertisements. 🤷‍♂️
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member

Either way, the new Disney streaming service has most of its stock in Star Wars and Marvel - so, we'll see.[/quote]

I mean, maybe for you. Some of us have kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews etc... to whom we would love to show all these old movies and tv shows. I saw nowhere where it said the entire season would be released on day 1. I'm sorry you were confused, but there is currently a ton of content here for millions upon millions of others.

I am loving the Mandolorian show so far and am actually excited for a tv show again. But I am also excited to be able to watch almost anything else that Disney has done.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member

I didn't read the details how Disney was going to release the Mandalorian, shame on me.

Like I said the adds across social media for Disney+ and the Mandalorian states "stream the series", but the series isn't available. Its misleading at face value.

But you will stream the series regardless of how they release it. Streaming the series doesnt mean all at one time. I think you have gotten confused with streaming and binging.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

No. They aren't following the Netflix model. I thought this is what you were complaining about. Netflix releases all episodes for a season at once. All of the shows listed have been released one episode a week or so up until now. Nor is Disney+ following the Netflix model. And this was known as far back as August.

It's not hard to grasp. People are simply telling you that you should not have expected this. There is no one dominant model. There is no reason to expect one over the other. If you think Disney's advertising lead you to believe the opposite of what Disney had already stated then that's your mistake (as you admit). You read your own beliefs and preferences into the advertisements. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry the way you worded your last post was:

"I'm a fan of Westworld, Rick and Morty, and The Expanse so I presumed The Mandalorian would release one episode a week in the same manner as these shows.

I also paid attention to news on the Disney+ launch so I knew by late summer that they weren't following the Netflix model."

I read that as Westworld, Rick & Morty and The Expanse - were released on Netflix one episode at a time - I obviously misread what you had meant.

What seems hard to grasp is that people keep arguing with me, over something I have already said was really down to me not reading the detail of how the show was to be released, but people keep arguing with me - like yourself.

It wasn't wrong of me to expect the release of the full season if other streaming service do release full seasons and advertisements for Disney+ state you can stream the "series" of the Mandalorian - that could mean stream the full available series or stream the series as it goes, just as @Monel pointed out in yet another post, seemingly not grasping what I am saying.

I simply took it to mean (again, without reading the details) that the full series would be available.

Its not a stretch to expect this at all. I was wrong, I admit. So shoot me, lol.

My argument is that why wouldn't Disney release the full series? Its not like they are hurting for money, they are a multi-billion dollar company, starting their own streaming service and trying to collect subscribers. I am not talking about other shows that are mediocre, but award winning shows that are released in their full season entirety still do well - so not sure why Disney chose to do it they way they did.

So add that line of thinking to the Disney+ advertisement wording like I mentioned, together with this being the most heavily advertised content for the launch of Disney+, it could easily be presumed that the full season would be available - its not, ok. My presumption is wrong.

But it is my opinion is that I find releasing an episode at a time is a cheap move on Disney's part - that's my opinion, you and others may disagree with that, and that is fine too, but you and others keep arguing, essentially over nothing.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member

"I'm a fan of Westworld, Rick and Morty, and The Expanse so I presumed The Mandalorian would release one episode a week in the same manner as these shows.

I also paid attention to news on the Disney+ launch so I knew by late summer that they weren't following the Netflix model."

I read that as Westworld, Rick & Morty and The Expanse - were released on Netflix one episode at a time - I obviously misread what you had meant.

What seems hard to grasp is that people keep arguing with me, over something I have already said was really down to me not reading the detail of how the show was to be released, but people keep arguing with me - like yourself.

It wasn't wrong of me to expect the release of the full season if other streaming service do release full seasons and advertisements for Disney+ state you can stream the "series" of the Mandalorian - that could mean stream the full available series or stream the series as it goes, just as @Monel pointed out in yet another post, seemingly not grasping what I am saying.

I simply took it to mean (again, without reading the details) that the full series would be available.

Its not a stretch to expect this at all. I was wrong, I admit. So shoot me, lol.

My argument is that why wouldn't Disney release the full series? Its not like they are hurting for money, they are a multi-billion dollar company, starting their own streaming service and trying to collect subscribers. I am not talking about other shows that are mediocre, but award winning shows that are released in their full season entirety still do well - so not sure why Disney chose to do it they way they did.

So add that line of thinking to the Disney+ advertisement wording like I mentioned, together with this being the most heavily advertised content for the launch of Disney+, it could easily be presumed that the full season would be available - its not, ok. My presumption is wrong.

But it is my opinion is that I find releasing an episode at a time is a cheap move on Disney's part - that's my opinion, you and others may disagree with that, and that is fine too, but you and others keep arguing, essentially over nothing.

I grasp what you were saying. You thought they were doing something and you thought wrong. Your mistake. As far as Disney being a multi billion dollar company and not hurting for money goes, they probably aren't. But that sure doesnt mean they dont want more, lol. As pointed out they arent releasing the full series at one time to create long term subscribers. That's the answer. I get that you dont like it, but that doesnt change it.

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Monel wrote: »
    I mean, maybe for you. Some of us have kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews etc... to whom we would love to show all these old movies and tv shows. I saw nowhere where it said the entire season would be released on day 1. I'm sorry you were confused, but there is currently a ton of content here for millions upon millions of others.

I am loving the Mandolorian show so far and am actually excited for a tv show again. But I am also excited to be able to watch almost anything else that Disney has done.

I am not arguing that Disney+ doesn't have other content, but what is mainstream popular current new franchise content, is that of Star Wars and Marvel. I am saying that Star Wars isn't doing so well at the moment, and Marvel after Endgame seems like it is falling flat and possibly may have run its course - we'll see, like I said at the end of my post, as it is possible Star Wars could make a strong come back and so could Marvel.

As for other content, ya sure lots of classics. But your childhood nostalgia may not fit well with younger kids. Kids usually look at movies from the 1990s and say they are too old.

Classic cartoons like Cinderella do not hold children's attention like more modern computer generated animations like Moana.

Not to mention lots of families already own plenty of Disney movies - Disney pretty much forced that on the public, taking things in and out of their "vault" so when a classic like Pinocchio came "out of the vault" families snapped it up quick, because they had no other way of watching it.

I personally have all the Disney cartoons and movies already. Hence the only thing I was looking forward to in regard to this streaming service was the new content, such as the Mandalorian etc.

I am sure I am not the only one in this position - your not, good for you.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited November 2019

I grasp what you were saying. You thought they were doing something and you thought wrong. Your mistake. As far as Disney being a multi billion dollar company and not hurting for money goes, they probably aren't. But that sure doesnt mean they dont want more, lol. As pointed out they arent releasing the full series at one time to create long term subscribers. That's the answer. I get that you dont like it, but that doesnt change it.

No it doesn't change it, lol. You are quite right. I hope you are enjoying Disney+ and the Mandalorian in particular, being the original relevance to this thread, lol.

I am going to stick being subscribed to Disney+ though. I don't like how they are eeking out episodes of the Mandalorian - but I will stay because of future content, such as the return of the Clone Wars and the future Obi Wan show for sure.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member

I am not arguing that Disney+ doesn't have other content, but what is mainstream popular current new franchise content, is that of Star Wars and Marvel. I am saying that Star Wars isn't doing so well at the moment, and Marvel after Endgame seems like it is falling flat and possibly may have run its course - we'll see, like I said at the end of my post, as it is possible Star Wars could make a strong come back and so could Marvel.

As for other content, ya sure lots of classics. But your childhood nostalgia may not fit well with younger kids. Kids usually look at movies from the 1990s and say they are too old.

Classic cartoons like Cinderella do not hold children's attention like more modern computer generated animations like Moana.

Not to mention lots of families already own plenty of Disney movies - Disney pretty much forced that on the public, taking things in and out of their "vault" so when a classic like Pinocchio came "out of the vault" families snapped it up quick, because they had no other way of watching it.

I personally have all the Disney cartoons and movies already. Hence the only thing I was looking forward to in regard to this streaming service was the new content, such as the Mandalorian etc.

The vault concept was the Disneys original version of a panic farm. My how times have progressed. At least the movies can be watched anywhere now with ease.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member

No it doesn't change it, lol. You are quite right. I hope you are enjoying Disney+ and the Mandalorian in particular, being the original relevance to this thread, lol.

I am loving it, and my fridays are coming by slowly then ever.

Anecdotally of course @TVF
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

The vault concept was the Disneys original version of a panic farm. My how times have progressed. At least the movies can be watched anywhere now with ease.

True - but we know all too well from playing this game, panic farming usually means everyone ends up with that content.

So releasing that content now on their streaming service, doesn't hold that much weight - that's my point, and I believe to some extent you agree.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    I reread the first page of this thread, and your first post is very valid, and tbf to everyone, you literally asked for other people's thoughts on it.

Where it went south was when you accused Disney of pulling a bait and switch. In your post a few minutes ago you admitted it's on you for assuming the ads meant you could stream a full season, so we're good there.

You also did imply a couple times that it was a sentiment felt by a large number of people. But again, in the post above, you changed it to specify that it is only your opinion, so that's good now too.

I think we're done here :smile:
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Anecdotally of course @TVF

Indeed - I have my work Christmas party this Friday, so will miss Mandalorian's next episode when it drops, I'll have to watch it on Saturday.

I wouldn't have that problem if they just released the whole season :wink:

(that last part was a joke).
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I reread the first page of this thread, and your first post is very valid, and tbf to everyone, you literally asked for other people's thoughts on it.

Where it went south was when you accused Disney of pulling a bait and switch. In your post a few minutes ago you admitted it's on you for assuming the ads meant you could stream a full season, so we're good there.

You also did imply a couple times that it was a sentiment felt by a large number of people. But again, in the post above, you changed it to specify that it is only your opinion, so that's good now too.

Its just that other than here on the forums, everyone I have spoken to does agree with me, my entire guild for one thing as well as many other people that don't play this game, friends across the internet, work colleagues, family, friends - so saying "everyone" to me was quite a reality based on my personal experiences of who I spoke to, I didn't mean it too literally.
    My argument is that why wouldn't Disney release the full series?

They answered this over the summer. A quick google search brought up a couple of articles on this (neither of which I had seen before - I think the article I had seen was from Forbes or Business Insider):

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/29/20831410/disney-plus-apple-hulu-netflix-binge-episodes-full-season-drop-vs-weekly-release-streaming-model

https://www.looper.com/163653/disney-will-release-episodes-weekly-not-all-at-once/

Most of the main points have been hit on in this thread:
    * Keep initial subscribers from cancelling after a month
    * Keep the shows trending longer / spark more discussion
    * No licensed content means less new content - this keeps it fresh longer

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    My argument is that why wouldn't Disney release the full series?

They answered this over the summer. A quick google search brought up a couple of articles on this (neither of which I had seen before - I think the article I had seen was from Forbes or Business Insider):

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/29/20831410/disney-plus-apple-hulu-netflix-binge-episodes-full-season-drop-vs-weekly-release-streaming-model

https://www.looper.com/163653/disney-will-release-episodes-weekly-not-all-at-once/

Most of the main points have been hit on in this thread:
    * Keep initial subscribers from cancelling after a month
    * Keep the shows trending longer / spark more discussion
    * No licensed content means less new content - this keeps it fresh longer

Thanks for that.

But in response I'd say the fact that the Mandalorian is Star Wars and the first ever live-action star wars show, would keep it trending and fresh for a long time regardless, especially being as good as it has been thus far.

As for keeping subscribers - I would argue that they have enough content between all the Disney classics, movies and franchises such as Pirates of the Caribbean and most notably Star Wars and Marvel. In addition - lots more content already confirmed to come, such as the return of the Clone Wars etc., so they had little worry at the end of the day of losing subscribers.

If people will get their content free/illegally by other means, then those people will do so regardless. Like I said before, most people, I would say, would rather have a legal and reliable streaming service for the family than resort to the likes of Pirate Bay for everything.

Just my thoughts.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

Anecdotally of course TVF

Any Friday you reference is anecdotal.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Cause its tuesday?
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

Cause its tuesday?

Well actually.....yes.

Its just that other than here on the forums, everyone I have spoken to does agree with me, my entire guild for one thing as well as many other people that don't play this game, friends across the internet, work colleagues, family, friends - so saying "everyone" to me was quite a reality based on my personal experiences of who I spoke to, I didn't mean it too literally.

Fair enough. And yeah, we have kinda gotten used to full seasons these days. But it's not a bad thing to have something to look forward to every week. Also it gives us time to talk about the most recent episode every week, instead everyone being at different spots in the series.

I admit this isn't out of the goodness of Disney's heart, but it can still be a good thing.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Fair enough. And yeah, we have kinda gotten used to full seasons these days. But it's not a bad thing to have something to look forward to every week. Also it gives us time to talk about the most recent episode every week, instead everyone being at different spots in the series.

I admit this isn't out of the goodness of Disney's heart, but it can still be a good thing.

True, just a bit of a shock when expecting something else.

The real downside is apparently the show is breaking over the release of The Rise of Skywalker, that just downright sucks, because we all know star wars fatigue doesn't really exist, lol
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    if we haven't received any Mandalorian toons for this game at launch of the show, I guess its fair expectations to see them come to the game upon the end of the first season at least.

I get it they are focused back on clone wars era content right now, and I'd expect more sequel trilogy/Rise of Skywalker content toward the end of the year - so maybe Mandalorian content in January or Feb?

I doubt baby Yoda will be a character, but that would be funny.

I'd love to see the Mandalorian in the game as well as IG-11 perhaps, but the show is still so new, and I get they likely don't want to spoil anything if they released toons too soon ahead of the show.

• TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Oh man Baby Yoda would be hilarious. Just call him Maclunkey.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Oh man Baby Yoda would be hilarious. Just call him Maclunkey.

Why "Maclunkey"?
    if we haven't received any Mandalorian toons for this game at launch of the show, I guess its fair expectations to see them come to the game upon the end of the first season at least.

I get it they are focused back on clone wars era content right now, and I'd expect more sequel trilogy/Rise of Skywalker content toward the end of the year - so maybe Mandalorian content in January or Feb?

I'd love to see the Mandalorian in the game as well as IG-11 perhaps, but the show is still so new, and I get they likely don't want to spoil anything if they released toons too soon ahead of the show.

Yeah, no toons yet, but the recent QandA indicated it was a possibility in a few months.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Yeah, no toons yet, but the recent QandA indicated it was a possibility in a few months.

Well if they are taking a break from releasing Mandalorian episodes over the release of TROS, that could easily take us into late January to early Feb when the first season comes to an end, where they may then release some toons for this game - so that makes sense.