The Mandalorian

Replies

• Did this thread really turn into 3 pages of arguing about Disney+ following the same episode release strategy as just about every TV show not made by Youtube or Netflix for the past however many years TV has existed? HBO seems to do just fine releasing shows weekly, same with the Hulu originals I watch, and those pesky networks like CBS/FOX/ABC/NBC have been doing it for decades.

Man, kinda sad I avoided this thread thinking it had spoilers from episode 2 like the title would suggest.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Did this thread really turn into 3 pages of arguing about Disney+ following the same episode release strategy as just about every TV show not made by Youtube or Netflix for the past however many years TV has existed? HBO seems to do just fine releasing shows weekly, same with the Hulu originals I watch, and those pesky networks like CBS/FOX/ABC/NBC have been doing it for decades.

Man, kinda sad I avoided this thread thinking it had spoilers from episode 2 like the title would suggest.

Yep kinda sad that's where this thread went, but we pulled it back on track now - until your post, lol.

Have you had a chance to get caught up on the show? what are your thoughts about the show and its direction in terms of story?

I have heard the insignia on the arm of the imperial scientist, adamant about the Yoda target being brought back ALIVE, apparently bears a striking resemblance to the insignia used on Kamino in the cloning facilities.

Personally I am not thrilled about the idea of cloning force users.

How this was done in the EU (now legends) was that Palpatine cloned his body as an "empty vessel" that he would transfer his essence into.

However, in the Force Unleashed 2, Gen. Kota was adamant that Starkiller was not a clone - as cloning Jedi had been explored and proven impossible. If it had been possible would it not have made sense to clone Jedi rather than Jango for a clone army of the Republic?

Having said that, even if it were possible - would the Jedi allow that? and secondly, if it were possible, perhaps Sidious would have wanted it buried, so that the clones were better "controlled".

Although the Force Unleashed was scrapped. We have no idea if the "darkside ending" would have been considered cannon or not (proving Starkiller was a clone as a dark clone emerged in the end cutscene), again however the Force Unleashed got swept away along with the EU as legends, so who knows whether finishing the story would have made an impact.

In the old EU, Luke's student Dorsk 89 (or whatever his name was) was a clone, but not of a jedi. 89 however was force sensitive, indicating that Jedi, if cloned, may not necessarily be force sensitive and those clones not of a force sensitive could have a clone randomly be force sensitive. So it was possible perhaps that say at least one clone of Jango's could have been a force sensitive. Again, this is based on EU lore, so no longer cannon.

As for what is considered cannon, we have a theory that Rey herself is a clone - which is why she saw multiple versions of herself clicking fingers in the cave on Ach-To.

We also have the return of Palpatine in E9 - so who knows where the lore of clones and force sensitives is going to go - it is therefore possible that baby Yoda in the Mandalorian is a clone of Yoda himself.

But I question what repercussion this will have on the galaxy far, far away - where is this little Yoda now in terms of where things stand for E9?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Well Episode 4 landed on Friday.

It reminded me of that Clone Wars episode where the Jedi and Bounty Hunters protect the settlers of a backwater planet against the raiders led by Hondo.

Still a very good episode and glad he isn't leaving Baby Yoda behind!

Also saw a great new character! Cara Dune. She was a bit full of herself, but likeable all the same.

I'd love it if Mando gets to form a team at the climax of the show, consisting of that Cara Dune, Nick Nolte's character, Kuill., and If Kuill found, repaired and re-programmed IG11 - what a team going forward that would be!
    Post edited by Boo on
  • Episode 4 was like a mini "Ewoks vs. Empire" from ROTJ - only better because the walker at night is much more intimidating. While Episode 3 is still my favorite, 4 was excellent too. Very fun show so far. I am very much enjoying the pace, direction and characters.

Random thought on episode 3:
    Mando knew that Greef Karga had Beskar there. He showed him earlier in the episode (i.e. Mando didn't shoot to kill.)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I thought it was funny how a bunch of villagers cant take on a handful of men and a AT-ST but ewoks could.

Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    I thought it was funny how a bunch of villagers cant take on a handful of men and a AT-ST but ewoks could.

Well the Ewoks were led by Rebel Commandos for one thing.

Also, Lucas very much was inspired by the Vietnam War for the Endor battle. The great military might of the Empire/USA v. the under prepared and more primitive Ewoks/VC.

The Ewoks knew their territory well and used the trees to their advantage to take down ATST walkers. Guerilla warfare style. Additionally another ATST was taken by Chewie and Ewoks which made surprise attacks and quick work against the others.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Episode 4 was like a mini "Ewoks vs. Empire" from ROTJ - only better because the walker at night is much more intimidating. While Episode 3 is still my favorite, 4 was excellent too. Very fun show so far. I am very much enjoying the pace, direction and characters.

Random thought on episode 3:
    Mando knew that Greef Karga had Beskar there. He showed him earlier in the episode (i.e. Mando didn't shoot to kill.)

I agree, the ATST in E4 was very intimidating! and Yes, Mando obviously knew where he was shooting too.
  • Sorry but two trees hitting an AT-ST should have only dented it. No way rocks and sticks should defeat armored storm troopers. It should have been a massacre for the Empire like it was for the Europeans in the Americas not comparable to Vietnam.

Sorry, I can’t stand that part of the movie. I could go on and on lol.

Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • B. Download/pirate the whole season

Jokes on them, that was my plan since it was announced

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    So is Shand dead?? Who was the mysterious figure standing over her body in the desert at the end of the episode???
  • Boo wrote: »
    So is Shand dead?? Who was the mysterious figure standing over her body in the desert at the end of the episode???

Not sure if she is dead or not. My guess would be yes - the other BH didn't want her to talk or risk her escaping (he knows she is much too dangerous).

Two things regarding the figure standing over her at the end:

1) He (or she) is likely a bounty hunter of some type.
    2) Some have hypothesized that it is Boba Fett - but that's largely due to circumstances (Tatooine, bounty hunter, etc.). But Boba Fett didn't wear a cape typically - at least not in his younger years. I have a feeling we'll find out sooner rather than later.

All of this is just guessing on my part.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • The sounds of the spurs and the music played sound like it was Boba Fett from the OT. Could just be major misdirection.

Could be Giancarlo Esposito's character from the trailer. He was wearing a dark cape

I'm actually more curious about why the Mandalorian was around the Tatooine system in the first place. He had to land, but was pretty close by when forced to.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    So E6 I thought was pretty pointless. It was certainly entertaining and a joy to watch, but did not seem to advance the story for our heroes at all.

The only reason I can see this having some point later on is in regard to the bad guys.

It introduced a team of dudes, left alive, who will most certainly be out for revenge on Mando.

Especially that Twilek chick, as she obviously loved her brother, finding out about his fate could tip her over the edge - and she doesn't even know the truth that her brother was gonna throw her to the wolves given a chance.

I think this episode was setting up for another episode down the road for sure.
  • Why does every show have to advance with every episode? Can’t we just be entertained for 30+ minutes?
  • First three episodes, good. But chapter 4 was so bad I've quit watching. Eventually I will get around to chapter 5 but 4 killed it for me for now. That episode was so generic it could have fit nearly any sci-fi or western TV series with little change.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Why does every show have to advance with every episode? Can’t we just be entertained for 30+ minutes?

I think you missed what I said in the first paragraph...

"It was certainly entertaining and a joy to watch"
  • The last few episodes seemed dedicated to introducing characters that'll be used in future episodes and some character building for Mando. E7 looks to address your concerns.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    Well Episode 4 landed on Friday.

It reminded me of that Clone Wars episode where the Jedi and Bounty Hunters protect the settlers of a backwater planet against the raiders led by Hondo.

Still a very good episode and glad he isn't leaving Baby Yoda behind!

Also saw a great new character! Cara Dune. She was a bit full of herself, but likeable all the same.

I'd love it if Mando gets to form a team at the climax of the show, consisting of that Cara Dune, Nick Nolte's character, Kuill., and If Kuill found, repaired and re-programmed IG11 - what a team going forward that would be!

Well, I was right.

In E7 - the above team comes together!

What a cliffhanger episode! With apparently only 1 more episode left, I certainly expect a season 2!
  • FREEDOMfrom
    474 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Here are my thoughts.

Ep 1: Great.
    Ep 2: Not good, literally can be summed up in a sentence, baby Yoda has powers.
    Ep 3: Pretty cool, all those mandalorians storming in
    Ep 4: Really weird relationship with house lady, cool AT-ST
    Ep 5: Why?
    Ep 6: Lots of cool fighting, no story progression.
    Ep 7: Finally something is happening

My biggest complaint is it seems like 3/7 episodes were almost pointless. No story progression at all. Just him on the run from bounty hunters. I would have liked to learn something new each episode that progresses the characters or the plot or something.

Overall I still love the show though haha.
    So E6 I thought was pretty pointless. It was certainly entertaining and a joy to watch, but did not seem to advance the story for our heroes at all.

The only reason I can see this having some point later on is in regard to the bad guys.

It introduced a team of dudes, left alive, who will most certainly be out for revenge on Mando.

Especially that Twilek chick, as she obviously loved her brother, finding out about his fate could tip her over the edge - and she doesn't even know the truth that her brother was gonna throw her to the wolves given a chance.

Not sure if I missed something but I was under the impression all of them died except for the brother who also ultimately died.
  • Nope, watch the last ten minutes again
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited December 2019

Not sure if I missed something but I was under the impression all of them died except for the brother who also ultimately died.

You missed something. And part of what you missed is the "progression" you're looking for - although in much more subtle ways than you are looking for it. Character exposition is also important to the show's progression. Every episode has "told us" quite a lot about the Mandalorian and his character - sometimes very subtly and sometimes by other means.

Just as an example, Episode 6. The old dude is "remembering the good old days" with the Mandalorian. That itself tells a lot - about who he was, that he might be older than we presumed (or that he started very young.) what types of people he hung around with, etc. The fact that this old buddy would so easily set him uo and double cross him also tells us things.

As does the fact that the Mandalorian didn't actually kill anyone in the episode. Despite clear opportunities and significant motive. Yet he doesn't. Juxtapose that to his old "buddy's" final line of the episode.

Honestly, I find the writing brilliant. In every episode. And the visuals for a "tv series" are top notch (especially episode 6!).

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

You missed something. And part of what you missed is the "progression" you're looking for - although in much more subtle ways than you are looking for it. Character exposition is also important to the show's progression. Every episode has "told us" quite a lot about the Mandalorian and his character - sometimes very subtly and sometimes by other means.

Just as an example, Episode 6. The old dude is "remembering the good old days" with the Mandalorian. That itself tells a lot - about who he was, that he might be older than we presumed (or that he started very young.) what types of people he hung around with, etc. The fact that this old buddy would so easily set him uo and double cross him also tells us things.

As does the fact that the Mandalorian didn't actually kill anyone in the episode. Despite clear opportunities and significant motive. Yet he doesn't. Juxtapose that to his old "buddy's" final line of the episode.

Honestly, I find the writing brilliant. In every episode. And the visuals for a "tv series" are top notch (especially episode 6!).

At the end of you last post, you forgot to end it with: "I have spoken".
  • I like the spaghetti western feel to it, so far it has the most star wars feel to it. I like it better than the new trilogy, but that isn't saying much.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Baby Yoda

He reached out with the force instinctively to save his protector from being killed.

He also sensed tension between Mando and Cara during their arm wrestle, and mistook fun for something serious and so instinctively force choked Cara, again to protect Mando.

But the Force heal - how did he learn that. It doesn't seem like it was an inactive reaction to someone he had never met before. However he is 50 years old. He may not talk but maybe he has been able to play with some powers - just like how a child may learn how to correctly move their hands, feet, grip, roll, walk etc. but being a baby for like 50 years allows him an advantage over other species to explore his powers a little...

Not really sure. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?
    Baby Yoda

He reached out with the force instinctively to save his protector from being killed.

He also sensed tension between Mando and Cara during their arm wrestle, and mistook fun for something serious and so instinctively force choked Cara, again to protect Mando.

But the Force heal - how did he learn that. It doesn't seem like it was an inactive reaction to someone he had never met before. However he is 50 years old. He may not talk but maybe he has been able to play with some powers - just like how a child may learn how to correctly move their hands, feet, grip, roll, walk etc. but being a baby for like 50 years allows him an advantage over other species to explore his powers a little...

Not really sure. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Added it so people wouldnt question it in Episode 9. Havent you noticed all the issuse people having with Rey and her powers they gave to Boda and everyone buys it for some reason?
  • khelzac
    335 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Yea I mean its not like children are taught force choking or anything. What's the kid version of a Mary Sue now?

Edit: I still love the show but that force choke was...idk what to say
  • Episode 8 spoiler
    Was that...a darksaber at the end??