Grand Arena Championships MEGATHREAD

Replies

• Nikoms565 wrote: »
    24 relic toons vs. 10 relic toons. Basically 3 extra full relic teams. GP is a poor measure of combat effectiveness. Fix matchmaking. That is all.

GP is not a measure of combat effectiveness, correct. GP measures investment of resources into toons.

Combat effectiveness is for the most part up to the individual player in how they invest their resources into toons and how they deploy their toons.

Matchmaking is designed to match players with same relative investment of resources not combat effectiveness.

Being effective in combat is based on planning, deployment and investment which is up to the individual player.

Matchmaking works fine.
  • Dethjin
    75 posts Member
    edited December 2019

• JMFT wrote: »
    dvma496fv5lm.png
    Here is why I’m leaving, I can’t even pay to win if I was so inclined because you have my 6* GA$ locked behind a GET wall. What the hell are you **** thinking. Good luck managing your dumpster fire of a game CG.

So put up a wall they cant beat. Out-banner the rest of the battles. That is how you win as an underdog. Want gimme wins? Too bad. Even with GAS at 7* it's only a gimme if you don't properly strategize to deal with an OP team.
  • Can't emphasize enough that a win is a win is a win. All that matters is that you out banner your opponent in the end. I have won many matches where my opponent set up walls to block advancement through a territory, but still managed to win. I employed a variety of tactics and strategies to get more banners. i.e go around the wall, trap the opponent on defense, maximize banners in the battles you can win (play with undersized squads), etc. It is a wonder to me how many opponents I have beat where it seemed i was a huge underdog. bottom line is you need to try, some battles you will lose but you will win your fair share.
  • I just rely on matchmaking for wins... got 1921 then 1928 now in finals vs a guy with only 6 g12 at 4.2m gp. It's so easy to win when your matched against accounts like this.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    I just rely on matchmaking for wins... got 1921 then 1928 now in finals vs a guy with only 6 g12 at 4.2m gp. It's so easy to win when your matched against accounts like this.

Wow! How did they have the same top 80 gp as you?
  • BobcatSkywalker
    2194 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    No_Try wrote: »
    I just rely on matchmaking for wins... got 1921 then 1928 now in finals vs a guy with only 6 g12 at 4.2m gp. It's so easy to win when your matched against accounts like this.

My top 80 is low by chance as I'm f2p...and a hoarder.

2 almost max relics with about 30 g12, like 25 g11, 10 g10, 10 g9 and some g8 characters to round it out all useful or needed for legendaries. F2p so gotta stay lean and only invest in the best units... keeps gp low also I dont use zetas anymore (400 available) they add way too much power for what they add most of the time. Never took my mods to 6e either (ok I have like 3 total) as that's apparently a part of matchmaking. I have 1,000+ of the rare mod salvage so I can upgrade anytime and never added any g12 gear to any of my teams so my 30 are g12 but dont have the added gp from the gear... but have hundreds and hundreds of all the g12 stuff right and left so I can relic who I want to 7 as fast as I can farm cantina parts...

Sounds odd but the best thing I did was not upgrade stuff for the last year and a half in protest and I've been getting great matchups since ga started.

Also got over 60 million several times in sith raid for all the haters who would say I'm not capturing my teams potential without zetas or 6e mods or g12 gears... it's good enough for me.
  • No_Try wrote: »

I tried posting a few times it wont let me..
  • If you send me a pm I can tell you my strategy. I'm not able to post it on here tried a few times last night and again today but keeps saying my comment are awaiting approval and they never appear.
  • How exactly does mm work? Does it count your entire gp or the gp of a certain number of your top characters? I've seen people argue this both ways, so i just wanted to clarify ty :)
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Furzy wrote: »
    How exactly does mm work? Does it count your entire gp or the gp of a certain number of your top characters? I've seen people argue this both ways, so i just wanted to clarify ty :)

It used to be whole gp during GA period. It got shifted to top X gp with the introduction of GAC. Top x depends on your division. i.e. 80 of your highest gp toons for div 1-2, 70 for div 3-4 and so on. If you are in a low division, learning what the number is important for you as you can plan accordingly not to bloat your matchmaking gp to get favorable matches.
  • If you send me a pm I can tell you my strategy. I'm not able to post it on here tried a few times last night and again today but keeps saying my comment are awaiting approval and they never appear.

I am so glad to read your comment. Finally somebody on the upside of the matchmaking speaking out.

I am matched against players with double to triple the number of G13 toons!!! And everybody keeps telling me that matchmaking is just fine!
  • Anybody tell me how this is fair matchmaking:
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png
  • KyoO1234 wrote: »
    Anybody tell me how this is fair matchmaking:
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

Hard to tell anything based on three teams. That image could be explained with a simple difference in strategy (offense vs defense)
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • SerWulfgar
    471 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Wow, being crashed out of the game while having GAC is just sooooooo fun

(How should I feel when my only hope is that my opponent is also unable to login?)
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

Lets see your swgoh.gg
    And what is your opponents ally code? 3 teams each can easily be skewed if you went offense heavy and they went defense heavy
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

Hard to tell anything based on three teams. That image could be explained with a simple difference in strategy (offense vs defense)

1) Both me and my opponent put strongest teams in defense. (I have 5 G13 toons and he has 10; 53 G12 vs. 57; he has 7 star DR, Malak, Traya, etc... I don’t!)
    2) This is representative for the last 3 GAC matchups I had.

So 3 times in a row I have been matched with 7 other players that were ALL significantly stronger than me!!!

It actually shows clearly the issue with the current matchmaking based on GP!!!

Yet you and others keep telling me the reason for that is everything else but the matchmaking. It is getting ridiculous at this point...
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

1) Both me and my opponent put strongest teams in defense. (I have 5 G13 toons and he has 10; 53 G12 vs. 57; he has 7 star DR, Malak, Traya, etc... I don’t!)

So 3 times in a row I have been matched with 7 other players that were ALL significantly stronger than me!!!

Yet you and others keep telling me the reason for that is everything else but the matchmaking. It is getting ridiculous at this point...

At this point you have to ask which is more likely to bear fruit, improving your roster or waiting for an improvement to matchmaking in your favor.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

Its a strategy. Keep your gp low.

Understand matchmaking and use it to your advantage is a better path than asking for a new matchmaking algorithm that may or may not be move favorable to your roster.

U may not wanna hear it but it's the truth.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

At this point you have to ask which is more likely to bear fruit, improving your roster or waiting for an improvement to matchmaking in your favor.

I am working on improving my roster, but I cannot reduce my GP. That is simply impossible.

Therefore I will not simply ignore a bad matchmaking logic that puts me at a disadvantage.
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

no, that image does not show anything at all, other than your opponents front line which is not cool unless he gave you permission.

As for your complaint about matchmaking: you can keep wishing it will change and not do anything to tailor your roster to the system, or you can focus on improving your key teams (def team that throw people off and counter-meta teams). If you get caught up in the numbers from some bot and not actually tailoring strategy to the situation, then you will just continually keep losing because they have made it clear they don't plan on changing the mm
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

Its a strategy. Keep your gp low.

Understand matchmaking and use it to your advantage is a better path than asking for a new matchmaking algorithm that may or may not be move favorable to your roster.

U may not wanna hear it but it's the truth.

You call it a strategy. I would call it ‘gaming the system’. Especially since players like me can not reduce their GP. I play this game for a long time now and a lot of toons that were great back in the day are now dead weight.
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

no, that image does not show anything at all, other than your opponents front line which is not cool unless he gave you permission.

As for your complaint about matchmaking: you can keep wishing it will change and not do anything to tailor your roster to the system, or you can focus on improving your key teams (def team that throw people off and counter-meta teams). If you get caught up in the numbers from some bot and not actually tailoring strategy to the situation, then you will just continually keep losing because they have made it clear they don't plan on changing the mm

1) Why would I need permission to share those screenshots?

2) I do not use any bots but look at my opponents toons. You tell me if my NS team is weaker or stronger than his!

You are probably some newbie player, but let’s talk about the flawed mm logic once your roster collected 3 years of toons!

Gaming the matchmaking system is not strategy. It just gives you an unfair advantage over players who are not able to do that.

When CG offers the ability to level down toons we can talk again!
  • And as predicted the player in the group of 8 with a championship rank of over 3000 better than anyone else (in a final range of #149 to #10709) won all three of his matches. Why was he in the group? In doing the matchmaking they should take current championship rank into account.
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

2) I do not use any bots but look at my opponents toons. You tell me if my NS team is weaker or stronger than his!

You are probably some newbie player, but let’s talk about the flawed mm logic once your roster collected 3 years of toons!

Gaming the matchmaking system is not strategy. It just gives you an unfair advantage over players who are not able to do that.

1) Because they may use that line always and would prefer to not have his startegy blown, but it likely isn't a huge deal.

What is you ally code man????? We can help if you lets us look at what you're working with.
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

If those are the teams that make up the top-end of your top 80 and those are his top-end of his top 80... then you likely have an advantage in the bottom half of those 80. What are you 79th and 80th best toons at gear and power wise?
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

I should know better than to continue discourse with someone who turns to insults in the 2nd response, but I can't hold back (mainly so I can flex my top 25 Kyber ranking).

First off, no, I am not some newbie player. I might not have 3 years (only 2, but my first year was spent in a guild where I didn't earn many zetas, and my idea of a great arena team was Nihilus lead), but like anyone who has been around any amount of time I have old characters who are just not that useful anymore, or are only good for ships.

What did I do instead of complain? Well, I enjoyed GA (and now GAC) so much that I decided to build my roster with it in mind at all times. This means I have focused on building meta and counter meta teams, with an emphasis on teams that can get high banners and be undersized. i am not recommending any sort of "gaming the system" like certain posters, but rather develop a roster designed for the game mode. It is a strategy, and it is one that has served me well by making Kyber every round (and all but one on my 1 year old alt account).

comparing NS teams is pointless. My last opponent had a better geos team than mine, so mm must be broken? Or the one before that who had a better Empire squad? Or anyone with a JTR team (since I don't have her)? Its all about roster composition, so to improve in GAC you need to improve your roster in ways that matter.

Finally, while you do not technically need permission to post images of your opponents defensive setup, it is very rude and unsportsmanlike. You are publicly showing his defensive philosophy to potential future opponents, which is not cool.

Anyways, I am sure you will respond to this with more name calling and "woe is me" whining to CG to change the MM to help you, so best of luck in your efforts to get a MM system that benefits you.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Actually posting a screenshot of anything about another player is against the TOS (under naming and shaming) unless you black out the player's name.

@Kyno

EDIT: Well Actually lol
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
    Me:
    30l1bb0xe2gi.png

My opponent:
    nmupnplxpp5v.png

I should know better than to continue discourse with someone who turns to insults in the 2nd response, but I can't hold back (mainly so I can flex my top 25 Kyber ranking).

First off, no, I am not some newbie player. I might not have 3 years (only 2, but my first year was spent in a guild where I didn't earn many zetas, and my idea of a great arena team was Nihilus lead), but like anyone who has been around any amount of time I have old characters who are just not that useful anymore, or are only good for ships.

What did I do instead of complain? Well, I enjoyed GA (and now GAC) so much that I decided to build my roster with it in mind at all times. This means I have focused on building meta and counter meta teams, with an emphasis on teams that can get high banners and be undersized. i am not recommending any sort of "gaming the system" like certain posters, but rather develop a roster designed for the game mode. It is a strategy, and it is one that has served me well by making Kyber every round (and all but one on my 1 year old alt account).

comparing NS teams is pointless. My last opponent had a better geos team than mine, so mm must be broken? Or the one before that who had a better Empire squad? Or anyone with a JTR team (since I don't have her)? Its all about roster composition, so to improve in GAC you need to improve your roster in ways that matter.

Finally, while you do not technically need permission to post images of your opponents defensive setup, it is very rude and unsportsmanlike. You are publicly showing his defensive philosophy to potential future opponents, which is not cool.

Anyways, I am sure you will respond to this with more name calling and "woe is me" whining to CG to change the MM to help you, so best of luck in your efforts to get a MM system that benefits you.

Easy there fella! And apologies in advance for the long comment.

1) Where did I resort to name calling in my post?

2) My point was not to compare NS teams. And your JRT comparison is irrelevant since she is not a meta toon like GAS, Padme, Malak, Traya, JKR, DR and others. My point was that the roster of my opponent was overall significantly stronger than mine. I do not question why she/he developed certain meta toons more than me. I question why I get permanently matched with players that are significantly stronger than me.

I don’t know your GP, but if you get permanently matched with some of the whales here that have relic 7 god mods meta teams I am sure you can wave your strategy and your kyber rank a nice little goodbye. Of course you can argue that leveraging the matchmaking system to face weaker opponents is strategy. But it certainly is not what my understanding of GAC is. GAC is not arena, so players of similar strength should be matched as far as I understood the system.

Oddly enough the matchmaking for me was mixed in the past, but now has reached a point where I have to complain. I don’t want the MM to help me. I just want to get opponents that are in the same league so to speak. This is currently not happening.

Finally I did not name/shame my opponent by the screenshots I posted nor did I expose his/her strategy. But next time I will redact the name so I don’t keep anybody from reaching Kyber by using sophisticated strategies like “have the stronger toons” agains a weaker opponent ;-)

Listen: I just want to have fun with this game and GAC is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game for me ... I just wish the mm would work better by considering more factors than GP.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Actually posting a screenshot of anything about another player is against the TOS (under naming and shaming) unless you black out the player's name.

@Kyno

EDIT: Well Actually lol

Technically I was not shaming but praising the strong roster of my opponent :smile:

But I will redact the name from screenshots in future posts.