The Rise of Skywalker

Replies

• Boo wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »

Your first article is from the NY Times - here is one praising the Star Wars trilogy, including Return of the Jedi, I guess they cannot keep an opinion straight...

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/02/28/movies/showing-of-star-wars-trilogy-to-promote-jedi.html

That article from the Daily Telegraph actually praises the movie and how successful it was, while also taking a stab at the dialogue. Having said that - all star wars movies generally have some bad dialogue, so?

So what you are saying is, sometimes movies get good reviews and bad reviews from the same publication? so sometimes whether a movie is good or bad is subjective? Hmmm, here I was thinking you could fully judge a movie's quality based on the reviews of a few writers before you have even watched it yourself. Crazy of me to think that.

Crazy indeed.

Because what I am getting at are the same critics that praised the last jedi and called fans that didn't like it a long list of monstrosities, has come out to say the new movie is bad.

I am not talking about just a review from one person to the next, but I am talking about the shill media that has always turned its nose up at the haters and have now become haters themselves.

By the way - this says it all for Return of the Jedi...
    https://www.starwars.com/news/critical-opinion-return-of-the-jedi-original-reviews

You realize that article proves my point right? That the OT had movies that divided critics, just like every movie after it, especially the one you love to hate so much (Last Jedi).

"There’s no getting away from it, more than either Star Wars or Empire before it, Return of the Jedi divided critical opinion. "

Jedi was the weaker movie of the OT, but it didn't divide the fanbase - the money alone it brought in on opening weekend alone was astronomical.

TLJ seriously fractured the fanbase. Since TLJ we have had Solo flop, Galaxy Edge do poorly as well as Star Wars merch falling off the shelves because they are in bargain bins.

Yet the fans are quick to generally unite under The Mandalorian, because it focuses on what a majority of the fans like and want out of star wars.

Comparing Return of the Jedi to the likes of The Last Jedi is ridiculous at best - I would suggest you don't go there, lol

now I am really confused, the quality of the movie is based on the money it makes? If that is the case then TLJ is the 2nd best Star Wars movie ever made. Sure, TLJ fractured parts of the Star Wars fanbase who can't handle something different, but (I would imagine) most people don't regard Luke Skywalker as a god who can do no wrong.

I never intended to compare ROTJ to TLJ, only highlight the fact that even the highly regarded OT was not received positively by all critics, just like the sequel trilogy. Then again, excuse me if I don't regard in high standing the opinion of someone who compared a movie with an average critic rating of ~50 to one of the greatest movies of all time (AOTC to Godfather).

Oh dear no - look to inflation as well, plus population increases over the years. Those are certainly variables.

You keep coming up with "reasons" why the facts are wrong, but whatever. i would remind you that TLJ and TFA are the 2nd and 4th highest rated movies in the series, but then again you will just respond with "shill media" and ignore more facts.

Also, inflation puts ROTJ and TLJ at approximately the same box office score in 2017 dollars (using the upper estimates for ROTJ).

I agree with you, shill media is another variable to consider as well. Well done, you came up with that on your own?

Additionally you only looked at inflation (which I gave to you), there is also population increase as well as how many theatres showed the movie - I am guessing there are a lot more theatres around the world that played TLJ in 2017 compared to ROTJ back in 1983, lol

No, you said Shill media quite a ways back. But its a totally logical argument, completely ironclad. When the critics liked ANH and ESB, but not ROTJ, they were just unbiased writers. When critics thought that the entire prequel trilogy was meh (at best), they were just unbiased writers. But, when the critics liked a pair of movies that you didn't, now they are shills and cannot be trusted.

Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Your first article is from the NY Times - here is one praising the Star Wars trilogy, including Return of the Jedi, I guess they cannot keep an opinion straight...

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/02/28/movies/showing-of-star-wars-trilogy-to-promote-jedi.html

That article from the Daily Telegraph actually praises the movie and how successful it was, while also taking a stab at the dialogue. Having said that - all star wars movies generally have some bad dialogue, so?

So what you are saying is, sometimes movies get good reviews and bad reviews from the same publication? so sometimes whether a movie is good or bad is subjective? Hmmm, here I was thinking you could fully judge a movie's quality based on the reviews of a few writers before you have even watched it yourself. Crazy of me to think that.

Crazy indeed.

Because what I am getting at are the same critics that praised the last jedi and called fans that didn't like it a long list of monstrosities, has come out to say the new movie is bad.

I am not talking about just a review from one person to the next, but I am talking about the shill media that has always turned its nose up at the haters and have now become haters themselves.

By the way - this says it all for Return of the Jedi...
    https://www.starwars.com/news/critical-opinion-return-of-the-jedi-original-reviews

You realize that article proves my point right? That the OT had movies that divided critics, just like every movie after it, especially the one you love to hate so much (Last Jedi).

"There’s no getting away from it, more than either Star Wars or Empire before it, Return of the Jedi divided critical opinion. "

Jedi was the weaker movie of the OT, but it didn't divide the fanbase - the money alone it brought in on opening weekend alone was astronomical.

TLJ seriously fractured the fanbase. Since TLJ we have had Solo flop, Galaxy Edge do poorly as well as Star Wars merch falling off the shelves because they are in bargain bins.

Yet the fans are quick to generally unite under The Mandalorian, because it focuses on what a majority of the fans like and want out of star wars.

Comparing Return of the Jedi to the likes of The Last Jedi is ridiculous at best - I would suggest you don't go there, lol

now I am really confused, the quality of the movie is based on the money it makes? If that is the case then TLJ is the 2nd best Star Wars movie ever made. Sure, TLJ fractured parts of the Star Wars fanbase who can't handle something different, but (I would imagine) most people don't regard Luke Skywalker as a god who can do no wrong.

I never intended to compare ROTJ to TLJ, only highlight the fact that even the highly regarded OT was not received positively by all critics, just like the sequel trilogy. Then again, excuse me if I don't regard in high standing the opinion of someone who compared a movie with an average critic rating of ~50 to one of the greatest movies of all time (AOTC to Godfather).

Oh dear no - look to inflation as well, plus population increases over the years. Those are certainly variables.

You keep coming up with "reasons" why the facts are wrong, but whatever. i would remind you that TLJ and TFA are the 2nd and 4th highest rated movies in the series, but then again you will just respond with "shill media" and ignore more facts.

Also, inflation puts ROTJ and TLJ at approximately the same box office score in 2017 dollars (using the upper estimates for ROTJ).

I agree with you, shill media is another variable to consider as well. Well done, you came up with that on your own?

Additionally you only looked at inflation (which I gave to you), there is also population increase as well as how many theatres showed the movie - I am guessing there are a lot more theatres around the world that played TLJ in 2017 compared to ROTJ back in 1983, lol

No, you said Shill media quite a ways back. But its a totally logical argument, completely ironclad. When the critics liked ANH and ESB, but not ROTJ, they were just unbiased writers. When critics thought that the entire prequel trilogy was meh (at best), they were just unbiased writers. But, when the critics liked a pair of movies that you didn't, now they are shills and cannot be trusted.

Well many of those critics are now saying this new movie is terrible - the same critics that defended TLJ by saying all haters were misogynists and racists, the same critics that blamed Solos flop on "white male poison" - are now saying this movie is downright bad.

Because if E9 were any good, in time people may learn to accept TFA and TLJ, but the cat is out of the bag with this one, TROS is a dumpster fire - the whole sequel trilogy is a complete illogical mess and there is nowhere for the critics to turn to salvage what little credibility they have unless they admit the truth - this is nothing but crap.
  • Guy with profile pic of a 23 year old Carrie Fisher being groped sensitive about being called a misogynist. lol
  • My opinion: the Star Wars audience watched TFA and Rogue 1 and were pleased enough to go see TLJ. After that, somehow they decided to pass on Solo. It doesn't take a genius to connect these dots ... but I expect there would be many who refuse to draw a straight line between them.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    My opinion: the Star Wars audience watched TFA and Rogue 1 and were pleased enough to go see TLJ. After that, somehow they decided to pass on Solo. It doesn't take a genius to connect these dots ... but I expect there would be many who refuse to draw a straight line between them.

Exactly.

The other issues Solo had going against it was the re-cast of Han (Harrison Ford IS Han Solo), plus we just watched that character die in TFA and no one wanted a background movie about Han Solo - the rugged yet unknown history of the character is partly what made the character.

TLJ and TROS are still considered major "saga" installments - so even if they are bad, they will certainly do better than Solo. Unfortunately.
  • Boo wrote: »

She joked around a lot like that on set. Its not a #metoo thing, so rest assured.

She was in the throes of drug addiction during the filming of ESB...just saying.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

She joked around a lot like that on set. Its not a #metoo thing, so rest assured.

She was in the throes of drug addiction during the filming of ESB...just saying.

So?

She was fun loving, outgoing person since on set of ANH. She and Hamill always joked around, like a lot - all down to drugs too I suppose? Lol

And I am sure she was high all the time on set throughout the entire OT right? lol.
  • Movie was good until the last act. Think I might be done with Star Wars going forward.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Papa Palps shouldve won, but I still enjoyed the movie. Which is shocking to me as I loathed The Last Jedi. Kylo was well done, I think he should have killed Palps, but in the end it was still an okay ending. Rey was a Mary Sue all through 7 and 8, but she became a real character in 9 who failed and learned from her mistakes. Was also pleasantly surprised by the durability of the Sith Troopers. Those guys would take 3-4 shots, maybe more before going down. And Palps Force Storm was amazing. I'd say its a solid 8/10 and if you disliked TLJ, this one fixes a lot of the problems 8 had.
  • So I saw the movie. It was fine. Not as bad as the critics make it out to be.
    Palps Force Storm was amazing. I'd say its a solid 8/10 and if you disliked TLJ, this one fixes a lot of the problems 8 had.
    Agreed here!
  • khelzac wrote: »
    So I saw the movie. It was fine. Not as bad as the critics make it out to be.
    Palps Force Storm was amazing. I'd say its a solid 8/10 and if you disliked TLJ, this one fixes a lot of the problems 8 had.
    Agreed here!

Similar thoughts here. Not a bad movie, I would call it quite entertaining. But it is still a JJ Abrams star wars movie (meaning safe and unoriginal).
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • I will not get my wish of empty theatres, I just want that as a slap in the face to Disney though and JJ/Rian
  • I can’t believe they rewrote the Force again in this one and no one cares. So many plot holes and nonsense in this one but people are ok with it. You guys are crazy.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    I can’t believe they rewrote the Force again in this one and no one cares. So many plot holes and nonsense in this one but people are ok with it. You guys are crazy.

Would it have been better if it was based on the EU materials?
    I can’t believe they rewrote the Force again in this one and no one cares. So many plot holes and nonsense in this one but people are ok with it. You guys are crazy.

First off, you mean rewrote the force from this **** in the EU?

Luke managed to telekinetically sustain a black hole while simultaneously flinging the dovin basals into it

Like, **** is that even? Oh, and nihilus singlehandedly destroys planets or some crap. There is only one new force power in this movie that I am aware of (unless healing was a thing before).

Second, where are all the plot holes? Maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention, but there didn't seem to be any more plot holes in this movie than your average star wars (if you don't agree, imagine watching the OT with zero knowledge of the other 6 and then talk about plot holes).
  • They rewrote the Force in 9.

4-6 the Force was in some people and it was this magical thing.
    1-3 it was in your blood.
    9 it is like the Highlander.

The fewer the darkside users the more powerful you are. Same with the light. So there is a pool of light and dark side that gets divided between all the users. So if there are two Sith they are just as strong as 1000 Jedi. Once Vader died Palpatine took his darkside power. Rey on the other hand was strong since Luke cut himself off from the Force and so did Leia which left her the last light side user. If Rey struck Palpatine down she would take all the Sith power in him. How did no one catch that?
  • Plot holes

Why can Finn use the Force now?
    Why can Rey sense Chewie is on the star destroyeer but Kylo Ren cant sense Rey in his room on the same ship?
    When did Tie Fighters get hyperdrives? Always been short range vehicles. How did they know when to jump out of it as well?
    How did the Resistance know how many ships were in the outer rim and how many towers?
    In Episode 7 why did they have to find Luke when Leia was a Jedi Master? Why didnt she do anything in 7-8 but watch?
    When Rey blew up the ship with lightning why didnt she still sense Chewie was still alive? Why didnt Finn?
    Stormtroopers have been flying for decades.
    Once again Yoda is a liar with his quote about going to the dark side and not being able to come back.
    Why can Rey heal people but no one before her? Who taught her? Obi Wan could have healed Qui Gon, Luke could have healed Vader, and on and on we go.
    Is Palpatine dead? Did he just go into another clone?
    How did Rey know her staff was a light saber at the end?

Just a few quick ones.

Plot holes

Why can Rey sense Chewie is on the star destroyeer but Kylo Ren cant sense Rey in his room on the same ship?
    When did Tie Fighters get hyperdrives? Always been short range vehicles. How did they know when to jump out of it as well?
    How did the Resistance know how many ships were in the outer rim and how many towers?
    In Episode 7 why did they have to find Luke when Leia was a Jedi Master? Why didnt she do anything in 7-8 but watch?
    When Rey blew up the ship with lightning why didnt she still sense Chewie was still alive? Why didnt Finn?
    Once again Yoda is a liar with his quote about going to the dark side and not being able to come back.
    Why can Rey heal people but no one before her? Who taught her? Obi Wan could have healed Qui Gon, Luke could have healed Vader, and on and on we go.

Just a few quick ones.

Did I miss where Finn used the force? I remember him "feeling" something but not actually doing anything of note.

Rey is more powerful? Rey was focusing on the ship? Just a few possibilities

FO SF Ties have hyperdrives. Can't remember if the ones in that scene were SF, but this is hardly a plot hole (just advancing tech)

Leia was not a jedi master, she almost completed training but could not. Thus, they needed to find her master: Luke. She watched because she was the General of the resistance, leading by command.

Where is the plot hole with stormtroopers flying? Because the characters don't know every bit of Galactic military history is a plot hole? Pretty low bar for a plot hole.

so what, yoda was wrong. doesn't make it a "hole"

I am guessing she learned it from those ancient jedi texts she was studying furiously.

Why would they tell you this completely? They clearly didn't in the OT

this one has me confused, what staff was a light saber at the end?
    Plot holes

Just a few quick ones.

Did I miss where Finn used the force? I remember him "feeling" something but not actually doing anything of note.

FO SF Ties have hyperdrives. Can't remember if the ones in that scene were SF, but this is hardly a plot hole (just advancing tech)

Leia was not a jedi master, she almost completed training but could not. Thus, they needed to find her master: Luke. She watched because she was the General of the resistance, leading by command.

Where is the plot hole with stormtroopers flying? Because the characters don't know every bit of Galactic military history is a plot hole? Pretty low bar for a plot hole.

I am guessing she learned it from those ancient jedi texts she was studying furiously.

Finn sensed many things in the movie that would point to him using the Force

Leia was Reys Master, she even called her Master. No sense for her to not get off her butt and help get her son. Why just hid in a cave? Why not rally the Resistance? Why not teach Rey earlier?

The yellow lightsaber was coming out of her staff she was carrying for three movies.

• Oh yea, how did everyone know Reys grandfather was Palpatine?
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Plot holes

Just a few quick ones.

Finn sensed many things in the movie that would point to him using the Force

Leia was Reys Master, she even called her Master. No sense for her to not get off her butt and help get her son. Why just hid in a cave? Why not rally the Resistance? Why not teach Rey earlier?

The yellow lightsaber was coming out of her staff she was carrying for three movies.

Why not teach Rey earlier? When? the whole hour they spent together in the first 2 movies? And not rally the Resistance? What do you think Leia was doing as the GENERAL? She was in charge of the whole Resistance, seems pretty rallying to me.

Having watched all the movies and most of the CW and Rebels, I figured that Rey had done what every Jedi does and made her own lightsaber. Why did you instantly jump to "lol she had a lightsaber the whole time"? If you question how she had a lightsaber, how do you explain Luke having a green lightsaber in ROTJ?
  • Reys staff was based off of Plaugeus staff. Why even have her turn it on in the end?

Leia didnt do anything in the base. Could have trained Rey in way less time than they spent looking for Luke.

Luke didnt walk around with a weapon that has a light saber in it for three movies and turn it on at the end for no reason.
    Reys staff was based off of Plaugeus staff. Why even have her turn it on in the end?

Leia didnt do anything in the base. Could have trained Rey in way less time than they spent looking for Luke.

Luke didnt walk around with a weapon that has a light saber in it for three movies and turn it on at the end for no reason.

Why are you still thinking that the staff was a lightsaber the whole time? She turned on her newly made lightsaber at the end of the movie to show that she was still going forward as a Jedi (to make the symbolism of retiring the past clear with the burial of Luke and Leia's lightsabers).

What base?

I will repeat myself, Leia and Rey spent like an hour together in the first two movies, when was she supposed to train her?
  • You need to go watch the end again, that was her staff.
    You need to go watch the end again, that was her staff.

Nope, she just used pieces of her staff to make the hilt. Its a standard single blade saber. Was not her staff.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Here are some good questions to ponder as well.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/12/21/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-palpatine-exogol-finn-secret-leia-lightsaber

Oh yea, how did the KoR know to attack him?
    Here are some good questions to ponder as well.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/12/21/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-palpatine-exogol-finn-secret-leia-lightsaber

Oh yea, how did the KoR know to attack him?

There was a Knight that found him after his duel with Rey, obviously Ren killed him and took his TIE, which is the TIE he arrived on Exogol in. Plus Palps sensed he betrayed him, rewatch the scene. So he obviously ordered the Knights to kill Ren.
  • Hopefully EA will give Christmas goodies when u buy the Google card would b great for all 😘👌👌👌
  • Why can star ships take off in seconds in Episode 2 but take hours in 9?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    LordDirt wrote: »

Exactly!

This movie is just loaded with nonsensical and lore breaking moments.
    Post edited by Boo on