The Rise of Skywalker

Replies

• Just got home from it and I loved it. Sure, it had a few flaws, but what Star Wars movie (or any movie really) doesn't? Looking forward to seeing it again in a few days to really soak it in!
  • the last movie is better than the previous ones (way better than ep 7).
    It's a shame that the main twist in the plot is centered on the quarrel between JJ and RJ...
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Good, but not great, movie. Afterwards I could really see how TLJ derailment cost it in terms of what it could have been. But visuals were amazing, and once it starts it really moves.
    WTHux?!?
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • kalidor wrote: »
    Good, but not great, movie. Afterwards I could really see how TLJ derailment cost it in terms of what it could have been. But visuals were amazing, and once it starts it really moves.
    WTHux?!?
    I was really hoping he'd mention the "Your mom" joke but ehh
  • I think its at the very least top 5 out of the live action movies, for me at least. Can only imagine how different peoples reactions to the sequel trilogy would be had TLJ not been a trainwreck.
  • What about Hux? :D
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    My review: 8 to a 9. Not a 10. JJ had to cram a TON in this movie in 2.5 hours. It felt a bit rushed. But overall, I loved it. They nicely hid the end recut from the leakers (the leakers only got that act 75% right, tho they were 99% accurate elsewhere).
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • And we can prolly bet Rose doesn’t get a redo. She was worthless in this movie, too.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Gair
    616 posts Member
    So... The Mandalorian at this point is our only hope is what you all are trying to say?
  • Idk if TLJ caused ROS’ safeness and nostalgia but I find myself liking TLJ a lot more after seeing ROS.

It is funny that I love Mando and dislike ROS for the same reasons.

I’m just glad the Skywalker saga has ended. I hope future movies aren’t held up by having the fate of the galaxy in every movie.

Will be cool to see
    Healer Rey
  • I'd love to see and Old Republic trilogy.
    Still waiting on that edit forum profile setting so I can change my name...
  • Hope the vitriolic fanboys are happy. You get a final installment that attempted to ret-con your complaints from TLJ whilst shoehorning in as much fan-service as possible. Left the theatre wanting to go home and watch ESB and TLJ to experience a well-made Star Wars movie again. There were the usual JJ over the top emotional gotchas, and he went back and tried to answer everything from his TFA mystery box.

Feel like the movie landed with a warm thud moreso than the big bang finale the Skywalker Saga deserved.
  • Vendi1983
    5017 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Follow up - came up with a pretty decent analogy for this new trilogy:

Ski Jumping at the Olympics
    - not for everyone, but those who love it know what to look for.
    - Force Awakens - out of the gate, looks good, sets it up decently, not perfect but does the job.
    - Last Jedi - the end of the ramp and the launch. Not a tried and tested technique, but it's a novel approach that scores big points with the judges. Hardcore fans don't like the new approach to their favorite sport.
    - Rise of Skywalker - mid-air to landing. Loses a ski during the descent. You know it's not going to end well but you can't help but watch. End up watching it again and again later on to examine the frame by frame. Landing went spectacular.
  • Now that more people have seen the movie, how would you rank all of the live action films?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Baby_Yoda wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »
    This movie looks horrible - I'll pass and catch it on Disney+, I know that will be like another 6 months or so, but that only shows my complete lack of interest.

Ok Boo

Mer

Funny thing is I am not a "boomer" far from it, lol - "OK boomer is so insipid. It’s the perfect put-down for an inarticulate generation that speaks and thinks in text."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/11/ok-zoomer-is-that-really-the-best-youve-got/
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Hope the vitriolic fanboys are happy. You get a final installment that attempted to ret-con your complaints from TLJ whilst shoehorning in as much fan-service as possible. Left the theatre wanting to go home and watch ESB and TLJ to experience a well-made Star Wars movie again. There were the usual JJ over the top emotional gotchas, and he went back and tried to answer everything from his TFA mystery box.

Feel like the movie landed with a warm thud moreso than the big bang finale the Skywalker Saga deserved.

It already ended with Return of the Jedi - this ST is completely pointless, adds nothing. In fact it just ruins what star wars has come before it.

They should never have made the ST - just give us new and fresh star wars like Mando.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Mitch08 wrote: »
    Now that more people have seen the movie, how would you rank all of the live action films?

From worst to best:

* TROS
    * TLJ
    * TFA
    * Ewoks - Battle for Endor
    * Solo
    * Ewoks - Caravan of Courage
    * TPM
    * AOTC
    * R1
    * ROTS
    * ROTJ
    * ANH
    * TESB
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Now that more people have seen the movie, how would you rank all of the live action films?

From worst to best:

* TROS
    * TLJ
    * TFA
    * Solo
    * TPM
    * AOTC
    * R1
    * ROTS
    * ROTJ
    * ANH
    * TESB

Thought you said you were gonna wait for TROS on disney+ ?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    leef wrote: »

From worst to best:

* TROS
    * TLJ
    * TFA
    * Solo
    * TPM
    * AOTC
    * R1
    * ROTS
    * ROTJ
    * ANH
    * TESB

I've seen enough leaked scenes and know all that I need to know it is the worst one. Palpatine back and Rey as the chosen one (not Anakin) is enough for me to hate this movie with a passion, let alone how power is transferred to surviving Jedi or Sith - downright stupid story writing - undoes everything. And I thought TLJ was bad, oh dear.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

From worst to best:

* TROS
    * TLJ
    * TFA
    * Solo
    * TPM
    * AOTC
    * R1
    * ROTS
    * ROTJ
    * ANH
    * TESB

I've seen enough leaked scenes and know all that I need to know it is the worst one. Palpatine back and Rey as the chosen one (not Anakin) is enough for me to hate this movie with a passion, let alone how power is transferred to surviving Jedi or Sith - downright stupid story writing - undoes everything. And I thought TLJ was bad, oh dear.

So you saw the movie?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

From worst to best:

* TROS
    * TLJ
    * TFA
    * Solo
    * TPM
    * AOTC
    * R1
    * ROTS
    * ROTJ
    * ANH
    * TESB

So you saw the movie?

Did I say that? I said I have seen enough leaked footage and have heard enough other leaks that are confirmed in this movie - story-wise, it is enough for me to conclude that TROS is garbage.

I don't care if the effects or action scenes were good or not - sure they are and that is expected in star wars. A good story connecting the movies with proper character development, overall story arc and good characters etc. is what was needed and this entire trilogy fell short.

Yes Johnson seemingly back JJ into a corner with what to do, but where JJ went from there is on him and his story is poor at best. Like I say, it takes away from the other films and essentially makes Episodes 1-6 pointless.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

From worst to best:

* TROS
    * TLJ
    * TFA
    * Solo
    * TPM
    * AOTC
    * R1
    * ROTS
    * ROTJ
    * ANH
    * TESB

So you saw the movie?

Did I say that? I said I have seen enough leaked footage and have heard enough other leaks that are confirmed in this movie - story-wise, it is enough for me to conclude that TROS is garbage.

I don't care if the effects or action scenes were good or not - sure they are and that is expected in star wars. A good story connecting the movies with proper character development, overall story arc and good characters etc. is what was needed and this entire trilogy fell short.

Yes Johnson seemingly back JJ into a corner with what to do, but where JJ went from there is on him and his story is poor at best. Like I say, it takes away from the other films and essentially makes Episodes 1-6 pointless.

So you didn't see the movie?
  • Boo wrote: »
    A good story connecting the movies with proper character development, overall story arc and good characters etc. is what was needed and this entire trilogy fell short.

Character development and good characters are not a hallmark of Star Wars movies. Luke isn't a likable character for half of the original trilogy and Anakin isn't likable for really any part of the prequel trilogy. Both do most of their character development between movies and sometimes even between scenes.

But if you're comfortable deciding a movie is garbage without even watching it I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you're also willing to hold more recent Star Wars movies to a higher standard than the originals achieved.
    Baby_Yoda wrote: »
    This movie looks horrible - I'll pass and catch it on Disney+, I know that will be like another 6 months or so, but that only shows my complete lack of interest.

Ok Boo

Mer

Funny thing is I am not a "boomer" far from it, lol - "OK boomer is so insipid. It’s the perfect put-down for an inarticulate generation that speaks and thinks in text."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/11/ok-zoomer-is-that-really-the-best-youve-got/

Funny how the best "Boomers" can come up with to combat against an "insipid insult" is "ok zoomer", which is the exact same "insult" but with the new generation's name instead :eyeroll:
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

From worst to best:

* TROS
    * TLJ
    * TFA
    * Solo
    * TPM
    * AOTC
    * R1
    * ROTS
    * ROTJ
    * ANH
    * TESB

So you saw the movie?

:facepalm:
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    A good story connecting the movies with proper character development, overall story arc and good characters etc. is what was needed and this entire trilogy fell short.

Character development and good characters are not a hallmark of Star Wars movies. Luke isn't a likable character for half of the original trilogy and Anakin isn't likable for really any part of the prequel trilogy. Both do most of their character development between movies and sometimes even between scenes.

But if you're comfortable deciding a movie is garbage without even watching it I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you're also willing to hold more recent Star Wars movies to a higher standard than the originals achieved.

Lukes character progression was throughout the entire OT. Even him leaving Tatooine and going with Obi Wan was a character progression and he even started training in that movie - Rey just leaves and has 0 training and is instantly good at everything. We see Luke go through (what seems to be weeks) or intense training and see him struggle against Vader as well as lose his hand.

We also root for Luke as the hero, because we see his struggles, his failings and how he grows as a character to overcome those to save his friends and the galaxy.

With Anakin we see a small yet talented child, be forced to leave his mother in order for a better life and fulfill his destiny, and how he adapts to life as a Jedi. We see many struggles he has including his forbidden love for Padme, and how we as an audience sympathise with that and want them to find happiness together and follow their hearts. Come ROTS Padme is pregnant and Anakin is trying to everything he can to do what is right while save his family and unborn child/ren - while being consumed by the temptations of the darkside to make it all right.

We get none of this with Rey - instantly good at everything, no failings and no training. TLJ immediately follows on fromt he events of TFA and there she goes wielding lightsabers and pulling off crazy stuff with her power of the force, lol.

Except we see her doing some self-training at least in TROS, but Luke and Anakin both had the benefit of being taught by masters of the Jedi and their stories spanning years in their respective trilogies. Rey relies on old Jedi books and some convoluted idea that she holds the power of all jedi - isn't that convenient?

Her character is an OP boring mess.

So no, nothing like the original movies at all, if you really think so, then re-watch or continue lying to yourself.
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Lukes character progression was throughout the entire OT. Even him leaving Tatooine and going with Obi Wan was a character progression and he even started training in that movie - Rey just leaves and has 0 training and is instantly good at everything. We see Luke go through (what seems to be weeks) or intense training and see him struggle against Vader as well as lose his hand.

We also root for Luke as the hero, because we see his struggles, his failings and how he grows as a character to overcome those to save his friends and the galaxy.

With Anakin we see a small yet talented child, be forced to leave his mother in order for a better life and fulfill his destiny, and how he adapts to life as a Jedi. We see many struggles he has including his forbidden love for Padme, and how we as an audience sympathise with that and want them to find happiness together and follow their hearts. Come ROTS Padme is pregnant and Anakin is trying to everything he can to do what is right while save his family and unborn child/ren - while being consumed by the temptations of the darkside to make it all right.

We get none of this with Rey - instantly good at everything, no failings and no training. TLJ immediately follows on fromt he events of TFA and there she goes wielding lightsabers and pulling off crazy stuff with her power of the force, lol.

Except we see her doing some self-training at least in TROS, but Luke and Anakin both had the benefit of being taught by masters of the Jedi and their stories spanning years in their respective trilogies. Rey relies on old Jedi books and some convoluted idea that she holds the power of all jedi - isn't that convenient?

Her character is an OP boring mess.

So no, nothing like the original movies at all, if you really think so, then re-watch or continue lying to yourself.

Ok boss. 🙄
  • Vendi1983
    5017 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    @Boo

Funny. Most of your points regarding TROS clearly show you're piecing your opinion together having decided to not watch it. Much of your complaints regarding it are clearly coming from an assumed plot based on "leaks" and trailers.

It is very far from perfect, and very far from being the best Star Wars movie, but your complaints about Rey are misguided when it comes to this installment.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    @Boo

Funny. Most of your points regarding TROS clearly show you're piecing your opinion together having decided to not watch it. Much of your complaints regarding it are clearly coming from an assumed plot based on "leaks" and trailers.

It is very far from perfect, and very far from being the best Star Wars movie, but your complaints about Rey are misguided when it comes to this installment.

Then please explain.

Because my points as to what happens in this movie are correct, and for me this just tears apart all other prior star wars.

So if Rey doesn't have all the power of prior Jedi, become the Chosen One over Anakin and destroy the sith and save the day - please tell me where I am wrong, I am all ears...