Favorite Lightsaber Duel

Prev134

Favorite Lightsaber Duel 96 votes

Ep1: Maul vs Kenobi
20%
trevyclauseDarthNikoms5657AnimalMotherkalidorBooWaquichpMINIsolo_77JacenRoePuddis95WarGuy101theatomicpunJohnLove11littleMAC77CadoaBaneKudlatywillenniumJkaneOktoberknight07DARTHRUSH1211 20 votes
Ep2: Yoda vs Dooku
7%
CCyrilSstuff007RichfxxxHowlerFREEDOMfromLethoiunRaidbossesbest 7 votes
Ep3: Isn't the whole movie a lightsaber duel?
41%
MrSandman93patrickcensonCaptainRexAycee1jedikilla84Chucko_marekAntiFunncodenamevadahMaddwarfRigglerAgentSmithLordDirtthecarterologist958TevlodiObight1NotTheBestOnemcshantGgdjqjchsabjdjMagicMatthews99DaPowerfulJediIchiraikou 40 votes
Ep4: Vader vs Kenobi
2%
qui_sunSebek 2 votes
Ep5: Luke vs Vader
14%
DontSteptoThisI_WANT_YODAEventineElessedilSnake2Georgemi6KelarnFoxerScrawnyKid88NihionLordGrahckDamon_Skye0dysseusKDarth_Pepé_8008Desertfox1024 14 votes
Ep6: Luke vs Vader
6%
Zombie961WombatJediKnightBubbaFettTigerSpirit1917JohanidesFeeb_Finesse94 6 votes
Ep7: Kylo vs Rey
1%
guysmiley 1 vote
Ep8: Kylo vs Luke
2%
Vendi1983EffAPublicEyeD 2 votes
Ep9: Kylo vs Rey
4%
MemeMasterKelseyrynoBaby_YodaSunara 4 votes

Replies

• Ep1: Maul vs Kenobi
    I know it says favorite, but I really wish I could pick two. I find the Maul fight and the Obi/Ani fight to end ROTS to be the most entertaining, but gave the edge to Maul since the score is perfect.

Also, really hope that ANH gets zero votes, calling that a duel is a bit of a shame to the later duels.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Ep5: Luke vs Vader
    I wanted to offer one from every episode, but there were lots in Ep3, and I didn't want to list them all (or just list my favorite). I'm finding it tough to choose.
  • Ep3: Isn't the whole movie a lightsaber duel?
    Ep. 3 Yoda vs Palpatine
  • TVF
    36523 posts Member
    Ep. 3 Yoda vs Palpatine

Yuck
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Ep5: Luke vs Vader
    Maul vs Kenobi is fantastic; but this one touches my heart.
  • Ep9: Kylo vs Rey
    Honestly when
    Kylo got stabbed

It caught me off guard.

And I like that.

I was like was this it?
    Anakin vs Obi-Wan takes it for me. Prequels were the first movies I watched so I didn't know Obi-Wan was gonna win. Yea I mean, I knew Ani ended up in black armor but thought that was some weird fashion choice and not a life support system.

So yea, when Obi-Wan won, I was like "Eh, what?"
    EP 5.... that’s impossible....

It’s got everything!!! Biggest movie reveal of all time and before the internet could spoil it! Most Misquoted line in movie history.... main guy (who is a pilot and Duelest) gets hand chopped off!!!

I’m not sure how this is even a debate...
  • Ep6: Luke vs Vader
    Maul vs Obi-Wan from Star Wars Rebels is a close second
    The fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan in Episode 3 is my favorite
    None of the options here are my favourite (that would go to Maul & Savage against Sidious from the Clone Wars), but out of these 10-ish options, Ep 3 has the best.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
    None of the options here are my favourite (that would go to Maul & Savage against Sidious from the Clone Wars), but out of these 10-ish options, Ep 3 has the best.

That is a GREAT fight.

So many to choose from. Duel of the Fates is my fav, but Anikin/Obi-Wan is so emotional and well-choreographed, the Throne Room fight with Kylo/Rey vs. the guards is awesome, some stuff from Ep IX is fantastic, Ep V is just huge, on and on. I don't think there's one fight that I don't enjoy. Old man Ben vs. Vader in Ep IV is boring, but still has such an impact on both the OT and PT.
  • Ep6: Luke vs Vader
    Luke vs Vader in Return Of The Jedi. I know there were better ones and the first round in ESB was excellent.
    I chose this one, because it was the culmination that resulted in Anakin fulfilling the prophecy; that Darth Vader was so far gone down the dark side that he would have gone after his daughter if Luke did not turn; to me it was the most important battle of all.
    Beyond the story aspect, the cinematography was amazing... No cgi, a dark throne room with two all black characters in space, and the score was excellent. (I love the music for the emperor scenes).
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I know it says favorite, but I really wish I could pick two. I find the Maul fight and the Obi/Ani fight to end ROTS to be the most entertaining, but gave the edge to Maul since the score is perfect.

Also, really hope that ANH gets zero votes, calling that a duel is a bit of a shame to the later duels.

I made an edit of A New Hope and spliced this in place of the duel in the movie - now it is a much better movie!

https://youtu.be/to2SMng4u1k
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    In TPM, Maul v. Obi Wan - it was the first fast paced and really well choreographed lightsaber fight star wars has ever given us - it also gave us both Qui-Gon and Obi Wan against Maul (2 on one) and Maul's doublebladed saber was an excellent thing to witness in a lightsaber fight.

All other PT fights mimic this, but don't do it Justice. Anakin v. Obi Wan in ROTS is also stunning, but I thought it was actually over-choreographed in places to the point where some bits just seem silly (like when they continuously twirl their sabers at each other pointlessly before they finally lock blades).

Overall, as far as the best lightsaber duel goes in terms of story and emotion I would have to say Luke v. Vader (ESB) is very compelling and has a disturbing end to it.

But I also like @TigerSpirit1917 reasoning for liking Luke v. Vader (ROTJ) - the completion of the prophecy! Stunning stuff! and very emotional indeed.
    Not a huge fan of EP1 overall, but the Maul v QGJ/Kenobi duel was by far the best done lightsaber fight in the movies. The music and choreography were all on point. Having a bonafide athlete like Ray Park playing Maul made all the difference.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Not a huge fan of EP1 overall, but the Maul v QGJ/Kenobi duel was by far the best done lightsaber fight in the movies. The music and choreography were all on point. Having a bonafide athlete like Ray Park playing Maul made all the difference.

Unless I am doing a star wars marathon (excluding the ST of course), I rarely watch E1 as the best thing about it was the lightsaber fight - I find myself just skipping ahead to that part of the movie, which you can easily just find on YouTube, lol

https://youtu.be/D7w4x3S2lag
  • Mace vs. Anakin lol :)
    I gotta say that Anakin vs Obi Wan was the best, imho. There was a lot of emotion packed into it and the choreography was intense.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I gotta say that Anakin vs Obi Wan was the best, imho. There was a lot of emotion packed into it and the choreography was intense.

I just didn't like it when they were in the control room just standing face to face and whirling their lightsabers around in mid-air not even striking each other - that part, for me, made the duel very silly.
    Boo wrote: »

I just didn't like it when they were in the control room just standing face to face and whirling their lightsabers around in mid-air not even striking each other - that part, for me, made the duel very silly.

Was infinitely better than Ani vs **** in the hanger with red and blue lights flashing and literally no action but face shots.
  • Ep8: Kylo vs Luke
    My major issue is they introduce an amazing mechanic in Attack of the Clones and then it's over in two swings. Anakin using both lightsabers was awesome, easily the best part of the fight. But no, hand gone within 5 seconds. Extend that a bit and it would have been fantastic. Instead Lucas bowed to "Fan Service" and we get 5 minutes of CGI Yoda bouncing off the walls.

Each other lightsaber fight has its own merits that let it kind of stand on its own, so to speak, but that one just falls flat.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

Was infinitely better than Ani vs **** in the hanger with red and blue lights flashing and literally no action but face shots.

Ya that was weak. Our one true opportunity as an Audience to see a compelling lightsaber duel, where one person wielded 2 blades and they dropped the ball there for sure.
    No comparison really.
    h1dc1ediz5wh.jpg
    Everyone knew Luke was in over his head, but he went in anyway. Intense.
    No comparison really.
    h1dc1ediz5wh.jpg
    Everyone knew Luke was in over his head, but he went in anyway. Intense.

Yeah, but did Vader have the high ground? lol
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I also thought Obi v Greivous was weak too - so much opportunity with 4-arm lightsaber swinging action and it was all a bit of an anti-climax really. Bit sad.

I would also say Sidious was underused. We got to see at least a full lightsaber duel with Yoda against Dooku, but not really with Sidious - Palp should have had a fantastic duel in there somewhere - thank god for Clone Wars (Sidious v. Maul & Savage).
    Yep, too bad weak **** Yoda couldnt take on Papa Palp
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Yep, too bad weak **** Yoda couldnt take on Papa Palp

Well, he did. I just think that duel was far to overshadowed by the Obi v. Anakin duel it didn't get the recognition or time it really deserved.

There should have been more Sidious v. Yoda lightsaber scenes, as well as a lot more "force contest" - two iconic masters from the light and dark clash - we should have seen some pretty crazy stuff - but it was all a bit tame and over so quickly.
    Yoda ran like a coward and hid for 20 years. Thought he was a beast.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Yoda ran like a coward and hid for 20 years. Thought he was a beast.

Sidious got lucky in that the power between them blew Yoda off the platform. He then had the all too important "High ground" and Yoda also lost his saber in the blast.

At that point Imperial troops were storming the Senate to defend Sidious - Yoda's only option was to retreat at that point.

But again, the duel between those titans should have been more epic.