The Rise of Skywalker

12345679Next

Replies

• I like all the Star Wars movies in their own way but this one is just plain too much to take IMO.

I dont think you would even like the order I put all the movies in but it doesnt take away from the train wreck this movie was. Too many things go their way the whole time. Too many plot holes, too many issues.

Find a dagger, go to the Death Star and magically pull the compass out and the part of the Death Star you need it for is the part that is saved and in perfect position?

Finn is Force sensitive now? How did he watch Chewie get loaded into a ship and then watch Rey blow the wrong one up and just go with it?

How did Rey not sense Chewie in the other ship but she could sense him on the star destroyer while she is on a planet?

How can Rey sense Kylo Ren but he cant sense her in his room?

How did Rey learn Force healing? Thought that was unnatural for Jedi. How did Kylo Ren do it?Why didnt Obi Wan use it on Qui Gon? Luke on Vader? Vader on Padme? On and on we can go.

If you heal someone do you lose that power forever or do you get it back over time? Why did Kylo Ren die? He run out?

Why are all the Sith in Palpatine now? Why would they all transfer to Rey if she strikes him down? Is this the Highlander now?

Why didnt Leia train Rey instead of looking for Luke for a whole movie?

Is Palpatine still alive? Wouldnt his essencse just find another host? Doesnt the Force have to be balanced? The dark side of the Force would find someone to match Rey as it is way unbalanced again.

Could go on for awhile...
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Boo wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »
    I can’t believe they rewrote the Force again in this one and no one cares. So many plot holes and nonsense in this one but people are ok with it. You guys are crazy.

Exactly!

This movie is just loaded with nonsensical and lore breaking moments.

@Boo Have you seen it yet?
  • I have not seen Ep 9 yet...no intention to either. But based on the spoilers (before and after the movie's release), am I reading this correctly?

The 9-episode Star Wars Saga is now no longer a "Skywalker story", but a "Palpatine story"?

This ending movie implies it's the redemption of the Palpatine bloodline. He was cunning, evil, and ruled the galaxy, had to deal with a pesky prophesy and "chosen one". He died as an evil man, but his granddaughter with his enemies defeated him . She is now the most powerful being in the galaxy, the Skywalker bloodline is finished, and she took the Skywalker name to further the galaxy's perception that people named "Skywalker" are still heroes and will save the day.

I'm sure there are planets that still have in their history books that Anakin Skywalker helped their people during the Clone Wars, and maybe bits about Luke helped defeat the Empire. Now a new Skywalker has arisen and liberated the galaxy from the First Order and former Emperor. So any future battles she wins, is really a Palpatine-family victory, even though the history books of each planet affected will have "Skywalker" in it. Including any kids Rey has later.

Is this also another twist to the "Chosen one will bring balance to the Force" prophesy? The Skywalkers were just created by the Force to be tools to ensure Palpatine is not destroyed, but to bring back the light to balance all the darkness he created?

Does the Mandalorian series even matter anymore? No matter what it's overall arcs and stories are to try to tie to the 9 movies, it's all in vein. It doesn't matter, Palpatine family wins, and the Skywalkers are over. Same with the upcoming continuation of the Clone Wars series, it's just a bunch of stories that shows how evil Sheev is, and at his end, his granddaughter will make it all good.

I'm at the point where I'm not buying anymore merchandise that's Star Wars related, you people can spend money to fuel Disney all you want. The original purpose and timeless story of what Star Wars was created for is now no more. "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." was meant to distant itself from Earth's politics and societal problems.

JJ Abrams claims to love Star Wars, but to be responsible for 2 of 3 movies that undoes the original 6 says otherwise. Actions speak louder than words.

Lastly, I think Disney has it in them release another 3 movies pre-Episode 1 to show that Palpatine's Great-grandmother, Grandmother, and mother were honorable/heroic military officers, or public officials, or soldiers, or heads of a charitable organization. To show that the Palpatines were once great, but Sheev went of the rails, and his granddaughter had to undo all he did. Just to hammer home Disney's obvious agenda.

Sorry for the rant-ish post, but is my point of view off the mark?
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    It’s very much still a Skywalker Saga, especially since Kylo/Ben has the most interesting and important arc. Rey is hardly even a character. Also, most of Disney’s Star Wars movie girl characters have flopped so far, so if that’s their obvious agenda, then they are failing miserably. I think the goal is to include more women and people of color; not to overshadow everything else.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Also, Anakin says to Rey through Jedi Star talk to “bring back the balance, as I did.” So Anakin is still the chosen one.
  • IMO it has always been a Palpatine Saga after the OT

1- Palpatines rise to power in the Senate and leading the Separatists at the same time
    2- His role in keeping the war going and growing in power and control
    3- His role in wrapping everything up and taking complete control of the galaxy
    4- No role
    5- Vader talks Palpatine into turning Luke
    6- He tries to get Luke to be his new apprentice
    7- He is training Kylo Ren to be his apprentice and then wants Rey
    8- He is trying to get Rey
    9- Finally gets Rey face to face and try to get her to take his place ruling the galaxy as a Palpatine
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Skywalkers:

PT: Main character, entire focus, lots of development. Palpatine: Develops not.
    OT: Main character, most of the focus, lots of development. Palpatine: Dies, but develops not.
    ST: Main villain, most development, lots of focus. Palpatine: Dies again, but still same old palps. His granddaughter’s biggest development was accepting her adoptive family over him, which was the Skywalkers. I would say that the SKYWALKER saga has been pretty clear.
  • jhbuchholz wrote: »
    I can’t believe they rewrote the Force again in this one and no one cares. So many plot holes and nonsense in this one but people are ok with it. You guys are crazy.

Would it have been better if it was based on the EU materials?

It kinda was based on EU material. There were story arcs with Palps coming back and putting his spirit into a clone body, which was hinted at. And to be fair, with the 2 poor movies that came before, I thought Rise of Skywalker wasn't bad.

It kinda was based on EU material. There were story arcs with Palps coming back and putting his spirit into a clone body, which was hinted at. And to be fair, with the 2 poor movies that came before, I thought Rise of Skywalker wasn't bad.

I'm not intimately familiar with the EU. That was my point though. A lot of what folks are complaining about in TROS was in the EU, some of it even more pronounced (like new force abilities).

There seems to be a sizable contingent that says 'the ST is trash, they should have used the EU!' And then they complain about the ST having the same elements as the EU, just without the characters they're familiar with from the EU.

I don't know if the person I was responding to was in that group so I asked.

jhbuchholz wrote: »

I'm not intimately familiar with the EU. That was my point though. A lot of what folks are complaining about in TROS was in the EU, some of it even more pronounced (like new force abilities).

There seems to be a sizable contingent that says 'the ST is trash, they should have used the EU!' And then they complain about the ST having the same elements as the EU, just without the characters they're familiar with from the EU.

Firstly, some people complain about absolutely everything. I wonder if there being an expansive EU that some of us are familiar with, grew up with or otherwise thoroughly enjoyed, if that led to much of the resentment for the sequels. Personally, I have only read a few books, played a few of the games, and never really got into the comics. Having Disney completely get rid of that content, and making new is what cause this whole issue. I understand that it is easier to make new, than to navigate the EU and make everything line up. My understanding is that the EU had a lot of issues because everyone and their brother jumped on the band wagon to write SW stories because they sell.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »
    Also, Anakin says to Rey through Jedi Star talk to “bring back the balance, as I did.” So Anakin is still the chosen one.

A throw away line that JJ added so people cant complain about Anakin not bringing balance to the force.

In reality, how often does the force need balancing? "The Chosen One" was an ancient Jedi prophecy, so according to the ST, the force needs "balancing" every generation??

Also with Palpatine merely still being alive, completely undoes what Anakin did. He only defeated the Sith, he did not destroy it or bring balance.

He was to destroy the Sith (not the darkside...the Sith) and this didn't happen if Palpatine is still alive. JJ was initially very careful in TFA to make Snoke and Kylo NOT SITH - I guess with the disaster of TLJ, he though screw it, lol

This movie and trilogy are a complete train wreck.

A throw away line that JJ added so people cant complain about Anakin not bringing balance to the force.

It must be awesome to know everyone's motivations. Then again, since you're on a first name basis with "JJ" maybe you guys hashed it out over a beer.

It must be awesome to know everyone's motivations. Then again, since you're on a first name basis with "JJ" maybe you guys hashed it out over a beer.

So he is the Palpatine to JJ's Snoke?

Firstly, some people complain about absolutely everything. I wonder if there being an expansive EU that some of us are familiar with, grew up with or otherwise thoroughly enjoyed, if that led to much of the resentment for the sequels. Personally, I have only read a few books, played a few of the games, and never really got into the comics. Having Disney completely get rid of that content, and making new is what cause this whole issue. I understand that it is easier to make new, than to navigate the EU and make everything line up. My understanding is that the EU had a lot of issues because everyone and their brother jumped on the band wagon to write SW stories because they sell.

The EU had good and bad. Well to be honest, way more bad than good.

But some of the good was spectacular. The 1st Three Timothy Zahn novels were incredible and would have been the perfect sequel trilogies (had they been made 15-20 years ago). The Michael Stackpole Xwing series was great. A lot of the Ancient Jedi stuff from Dark Horse was very entertaining.

Outside of that, there were sprinklings of other good stuff. The EU started going bad when it focused in on the next generation (Han/Leia/Luke/Mara's) kids. Stuff like the Vong was horrible.

• Boo
    4134 posts Member

The EU had good and bad. Well to be honest, way more bad than good.

But some of the good was spectacular. The 1st Three Timothy Zahn novels were incredible and would have been the perfect sequel trilogies (had they been made 15-20 years ago). The Michael Stackpole Xwing series was great. A lot of the Ancient Jedi stuff from Dark Horse was very entertaining.

Outside of that, there were sprinklings of other good stuff. The EU started going bad when it focused in on the next generation (Han/Leia/Luke/Mara's) kids. Stuff like the Vong was horrible.

I never really got into the EU. I t had some good stories. I guess one of the greats: Shadows of the Empire, if made into a movie would be nothing more than "A Star Wars Story" type of movie, like Rogue One or Solo.

I liked the Thrawn Trilogy and the Idea of Jacen and Jaina Solo, where Jacen secretly is swayed to the dark side and becomes Darth Cadeous - where his sister Jaina has to kill him - but that to me was just a parallel to the whole Vader, Luke & Leia thing we have already seen, it was fun as a story in the EU, but I never counted the EU as anything other than "Legends"

So it diodnt bother me that Disney took the EU and made them all just fun "Legend" stories - not cannon.

Some stories to me are still cannon, such as Bounty Hunter (set between E1-2) and The Force Unleashed (set between E3-4). And of course Kotor.

I never liked the EU bringing back Palpatine either - he died as he should have in ROTJ. Not to come back as some weak clone, who ultimately is killed by Han Solo of all people! - YIKES!

But the ST brought back Palpatine anyway, making that cannon really undoes E1-6.

One thing about the EU, as was foretold by Yoda, was that Luke was to rebuild the Jedi Order. He was to be a powerful and wise Jedi Master - the likes of which we would never have seen on screen - his legacy was a legend and a lot of fans loved that.

What we got from Luke in the ST completely destroyed the vision people had for Luke, as well as writing him out of character (risking his life to redeem and save a monsterous father fromt he darkside to losing control and thinking of murdering his innocent sleeping nephew).

I don't think scrapping the EU had an effect on the ST, but some themes that the EU had, which were generally accepted by the fandom, were torn apart, effecting their beloved characters and star wars lore/story - and that is where the ST fails (among other reasons of course).

In reality, how often does the force need balancing? "The Chosen One" was an ancient Jedi prophecy, so according to the ST, the force needs "balancing" every generation??

Also with Palpatine merely still being alive, completely undoes what Anakin did. He only defeated the Sith, he did not destroy it or bring balance.

He was to destroy the Sith (not the darkside...the Sith) and this didn't happen if Palpatine is still alive. JJ was initially very careful in TFA to make Snoke and Kylo NOT SITH - I guess with the disaster of TLJ, he though screw it, lol

The thing i never get about the whole "balancing the force" part is that people read it as destroying the sith. How can something be balanced if it only has one side? If all the jedi or all the sith were gone completely, how would that be balanced? Obviously its laid out this way because it is from the good guys point of view, so they think he is to win the war for them.

Then again, probably just overthinking the idea of the Force as a broader entity
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

The thing i never get about the whole "balancing the force" part is that people read it as destroying the sith. How can something be balanced if it only has one side? If all the jedi or all the sith were gone completely, how would that be balanced? Obviously its laid out this way because it is from the good guys point of view, so they think he is to win the war for them.

Then again, probably just overthinking the idea of the Force as a broader entity

No one really knows what the prophecy actually says - yes, star wars.com or wookiepedia have their wording, but is this really what it says.

From what we know about the movies only was that the chosen one, being the most powerful in the force and created by the force will destroy the sith and bring balance.

It never said anything about destroying the darkside. It may also mean destroying the Jedi as well as the sith.

The Jedi order had become corrupt, as illustrated in their teachings during the PT as well as Luke's comments in TLJ - they felt entitled to the force, arrogant and emotionless.

The Jedi needed to be destroyed as their teaching was part of the imbalance - part of the prophecy fulfillment was Anakin becoming Darth Vader and destroying the Jedi.

Yoda and Obi Wan could not fathom that Vader could be redeemed and must be destroyed, by Luke who Obi Wan believed now as the real chosen one, having lost faith and hope in Anakin. The Jedi are not allowed to love/attachment etc. Yet it was love that allowed Luke to save his father and Anakin's love for his son to redeem him and destroy the sith.

"There is no emotion, there is peace" is the Jedi way, yet "Through passion, I gain strength" is that of the sith. The balancing part is learning both - which is what happened at the end of ROTJ.

Luke going forward was free of the corrupted teaching of the Jedi before him - Peace with Passion = Balance.