The Rise of Skywalker

Replies

• JJ Abrams Writer's Room meeting:

otqnwwtdgdkp.gif
  • Can someone refresh my memory, what is luke bad at or struggle with in ANH? He is good at flying a ship and shooting small things because the plot requires him to be the hero and blow up the Death Star.

I've been thinking of this argument about a specific character being what the plot needs them to be, when the plot needs them to be. I have come to the conclusion that this describes every movie, book or story ever told. ever. All characters are what the plot needs when the plot needs.
  • Can someone refresh my memory, what is luke bad at or struggle with in ANH? He is good at flying a ship and shooting small things because the plot requires him to be the hero and blow up the Death Star.

I've been thinking of this argument about a specific character being what the plot needs them to be, when the plot needs them to be. I have come to the conclusion that this describes every movie, book or story ever told. ever. All characters are what the plot needs when the plot needs.

Indeed! If they were not, there would be no story to tell.

Indeed! If they were not, there would be no story to tell.

And life wouldn't exist... Wait, wrong time to invoke a Qui Gon quote. There would be no stories at all.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Saying Rey isnt a Mary Sue is like saying Superman isnt a Gary Sue.

Possibly - but even Superman had his failings and weaknesses, so ultimately...No he is not a G. Stu.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Can someone refresh my memory, what is luke bad at or struggle with in ANH? He is good at flying a ship and shooting small things because the plot requires him to be the hero and blow up the Death Star.

Unless the plot understands good story writing and character development, to allow a reader or audience to relate to, resonate with or sympathise with their hero.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Mitch08 wrote: »
    This is the dumbest thread. Can we have a mod close it please? Boo can continue the conversation on one of his Incel forums.

I'm still enjoying it

Me too, plus I got kicked out of all the incel forums, I have nowhere else to go.
  • Boo wrote: »
    Mitch08 wrote: »
    This is the dumbest thread. Can we have a mod close it please? Boo can continue the conversation on one of his Incel forums.

I'm still enjoying it

Me too, plus I got kicked out of all the incel forums, I have nowhere else to go.

While we may disagree on a lot of things, this was an awesome response!
  • Agreed. Well played.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Hux being a spy is another terrible plot in TROS.

Its like a dedicated and respected General in the USA military, betraying their country providing secrets to terrorist organizations because they don't like Trump - its ridiculous!

Its like a dedicated and respected General in the USA military, betraying their country providing secrets to terrorist organizations because they don't like Trump - its ridiculous!
    https://www.history.com/topics/american-revolution/benedict-arnold
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Are you insinuating that would never happen? Because it has. Repeatedly. Not specifically Trump.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Are you insinuating that would never happen? Because it has. Repeatedly. Not specifically Trump.

A coupe or conspiracy to take out or assassinate a leader is one thing. But tanking your entire army and cause because you don't like someone is pretty weak.

It is also uncharacteristic of Hux, as he was such a First Order fanatic, it doesn't make sense.
    Are you insinuating that would never happen? Because it has. Repeatedly. Not specifically Trump.

A coupe or conspiracy to take out or assassinate a leader is one thing. But tanking your entire army and cause because you don't like someone is pretty weak.

It is also uncharacteristic of Hux, as he was such a First Order fanatic, it doesn't make sense.
    Boo wrote: »

Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Chucko_marek
    3817 posts Member
    edited January 2020

I can't really say we seen much from Hux to begin with, other than a guy walking around looking like the person ahead of him farted.
    And truth be told, when he got shot the second time, I laughed. Was kinda fitting IMHO
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited January 2020

Yet Benedict Arnold became disgruntled with the faction he served - not its leader, for whom he held a personal grudge.

Hux never wanted to be a "hero" of the Resistance, he never wanted any recognition, he cared not about there fight, all he wanted was to see Kylo Ren fail.

We saw more of Hux than just walking around. His eagerness to please his superiors (Snoke) as well as his fanatical speech on Starkiller Base. The man was totally devoted to the First Order and its galactic goals.

Its not the same thing here at all.

Him finally getting shot - was just another "joke" in this terrible trilogy. Hux is nothing more than a comedy relief character - can't say the same for the likes of Peter Cushing's Grand Moff Tarkin.

Yet Benedict Arnold became disgruntled with the faction he served - not its leader, for whom he held a personal grudge.

Hux never wanted to be a "hero" of the Resistance, he never wanted any recognition, he cared not about there fight, all he wanted was to see Kylo Ren fail.

We saw more of Hux than just walking around. His eagerness to please his superiors (Snoke) as well as his fanatical speech on Starkiller Base. The man was totally devoted to the First Order and its galactic goals.

Him finally getting shot - was just another "joke" in this terrible trilogy. Hux is nothing more than a comedy relief character - can't say the same for the likes of Peter Cushing's Grand Moff Tarkin.

So Hux being salty that Kylo took command of the First Order instead of him is totally nothing like Benedict Arnold being upset he didn't get the hero's treatment he deserved? ok

• @Boo Are you basing your assessment of Hux on anything other than the movies, or just the movies?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

So Hux being salty that Kylo took command of the First Order instead of him is totally nothing like Benedict Arnold being upset he didn't get the hero's treatment he deserved? ok

You got it.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    @Boo Are you basing your assessment of Hux on anything other than the movies, or just the movies?

Do I need more than the movies?
    @Boo Are you basing your assessment of Hux on anything other than the movies, or just the movies?

Do I need more than the movies?

There's some subtlety and nuance to his character in other sources (I'm thinking of the Phasma book specifically) where a traitorous turn seems pretty consistent with his character.

You got it.

Good to know we are on the same page where you believe a movie character helping the enemy because he felt he didn't get the respect he deserved is much different than a historical figure defecting to the enemy because he felt he didn't get the respect he deserved
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

You got it.

Good to know we are on the same page where you believe a movie character helping the enemy because he felt he didn't get the respect he deserved is much different than a historical figure defecting to the enemy because he felt he didn't get the respect he deserved

Yes you see because the historical figure lost faith in his cause, Hux just wanted his superior to fail - he never lost faith in the first order or wanted the first order to fail, but his actions say otherwise. So his actions against Kylo are counterproductive to his feelings and dedication to the first order - completely different.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    The more I think of TROS, the more issues I seem to have with it.

* Final Order command ship is taken down together with the navigational info required by the fleet to leave the system and wage havoc on the galaxy - but somehow it also causes the fleet to fall from the sky. Additionally it causes an unrelated fleet (the first order scattered across the galaxy) to also fall from the sky, without any kind of logical reason.

* Palpatine's plan is to have Rey kill him so she can rule, she refuses so he uses the life force between Kylo & Rey to heal him so he could continue rule as Emperor/Dark Lord - well then why wasn't that his plan in the first place, rather than actually wanting to die?

* Lightspeed skipping - takes time to plug into computer to chart a course - a ship cannot merely skip destination to destination without error - lightspeed calculations were explained by Han in the OT. Additionally the pursuing TIE fighters are short-range fighters and lack the ability for lightspeed, so how could they follow, and if they could follow, how could they track random hyperspace jumps? The whole thing is pretty illogical.

* Leia's death. They ran out of unused footage so killed her off. She spoke to Kylo through the force for a mere moment and that killed her? Also if she could have an impact on redeeming Kylo, why didn't she do that ages ago?

* Sith dagger - would depend where along the coast and distance from the Death Star wreckage as to how the dagger "map" would line up, revealing the wayfinder's location. Convenient I guess.

* Sith fleet - would take a monumental amount of workforce to make those ships and with what money and resources? the Empire was gone.

* Force healing and stopping death - a power so sought after it was the cause of Anakin's fall to the darkside, yet everyone seems to randomly have this power that the force personified didn't?

* Luke's X-wing was in complete disrepair in TLJ, yet it rose completely functional and intact ready for use in TROS.

* Luke's X-wing was named "Red 5" in TROS, the designation of Luke's ship during the battle of Yavin, not once he was a commander and leader of Rogue Squadron thereafter, in which case his X-wing was "Rogue Leader", not "Red 5".

* C3P0 was built in a little hovel in the slave quarter of Tatooine's, Mos Espa by a 10 year old Anakin - I guess Anakin followed Republic droid legislation by installing a program that would prevent his protocol droid from deciphering the ancient language of a civilization who had been extinct for 1000 years - Ya, that makes sense.

* In TFA the Jedi, Sith and the Force were nothing more than mere legends, stories or myth. But everyone in TROS talks about Jedi and Sith as if it were all so suddenly common knowledge - nice continuity!

I am sure there are more issues, but that is but a few I can think of at this point. Crazy silly writing/plot points in my opinion.
  • hmmmmmm ...
    • Who was in command of Starkiller Base, a superweapon designed to wipe out whole star systems at once? General Hux.
    • Who gave the order to fire the Starkiller Base superweapon killing tens of billions, rather than find some way to delay the attack until the Resistance could find a way to stop them? General Hux
    • Who gave the order to destroy all the little unarmed Resistance escape craft instead of jumping ahead of them to capture the defenseless? General Hux
    But he was secretly on the side of the Resistance? Really? What a guy. I'd rather have Agent Kallus on my side.

* Final Order command ship is taken down together with the navigational info required by the fleet to leave the system and wage havoc on the galaxy - but somehow it also causes the fleet to fall from the sky. Additionally it causes an unrelated fleet (the first order scattered across the galaxy) to also fall from the sky, without any kind of logical reason.

* Palpatine's plan is to have Rey kill him so she can rule, she refuses so he uses the life force between Kylo & Rey to heal him so he could continue rule as Emperor/Dark Lord - well then why wasn't that his plan in the first place, rather than actually wanting to die?

* Lightspeed skipping - takes time to plug into computer to chart a course - a ship cannot merely skip destination to destination without error - lightspeed calculations were explained by Han in the OT. Additionally the pursuing TIE fighters are short-range fighters and lack the ability for lightspeed, so how could they follow, and if they could follow, how could they track random hyperspace jumps? The whole thing is pretty illogical.

* Leia's death. They ran out of unused footage so killed her off. She spoke to Kylo through the force for a mere moment and that killed her? Also if she could have an impact on redeeming Kylo, why didn't she do that ages ago?

* Sith dagger - would depend where along the coast and distance from the Death Star wreckage as to how the dagger "map" would line up, revealing the wayfinder's location. Convenient I guess.

* Sith fleet - would take a monumental amount of workforce to make those ships and with what money and resources? the Empire was gone.

* Force healing and stopping death - a power so sought after it was the cause of Anakin's fall to the darkside, yet everyone seems to randomly have this power that the force personified didn't?

* Luke's X-wing was in complete disrepair in TLJ, yet it rose completely functional and intact ready for use in TROS.

* Luke's X-wing was named "Red 5" in TROS, the designation of Luke's ship during the battle of Yavin, not once he was a commander and leader of Rogue Squadron thereafter, in which case his X-wing was "Rogue Leader", not "Red 5".

* C3P0 was built in a little hovel in the slave quarter of Tatooine's, Mos Espa by a 10 year old Anakin - I guess Anakin followed Republic droid legislation by installing a program that would prevent his protocol droid from deciphering the ancient language of a civilization who had been extinct for 1000 years - Ya, that makes sense.

* In TFA the Jedi, Sith and the Force were nothing more than mere legends, stories or myth. But everyone in TROS talks about Jedi and Sith as if it were all so suddenly common knowledge - nice continuity!

I am sure there are more issues, but that is but a few I can think of at this point. Crazy silly writing/plot points in my opinion.

I can literally explain all of these details to you except the Rogue/Red 5 thing because I don’t remember right now.

But it seems you’re either not thinking things through or just jumping to conclusions based on your saltiness.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Too many issues to list about TROS
    Post edited by LordDirt on
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?

I can literally explain all of these details to you except the Rogue/Red 5 thing because I don’t remember right now.

But it seems you’re either not thinking things through or just jumping to conclusions based on your saltiness.

Red 5 was the call sign for the X Wing. Rogue Leader was a designation for a pilot. After Hoth Wedge became Rogue Leader. Luke's X Wing remained Red 5.

• hmmmmmm ...
    • Who was in command of Starkiller Base, a superweapon designed to wipe out whole star systems at once? General Hux.
    • Who gave the order to fire the Starkiller Base superweapon killing tens of billions, rather than find some way to delay the attack until the Resistance could find a way to stop them? General Hux
    • Who gave the order to destroy all the little unarmed Resistance escape craft instead of jumping ahead of them to capture the defenseless? General Hux
    But he was secretly on the side of the Resistance? Really? What a guy. I'd rather have Agent Kallus on my side.

Hux wasn't on the side of the resistance. He said he doesn't care who won, just as long as Kylo lost. Hux just hated Kylo.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Red 5 was the call sign for the X Wing. Rogue Leader was a designation for a pilot. After Hoth Wedge became Rogue Leader. Luke's X Wing remained Red 5.

That does make sense.