2Next

Replies

• Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Stick wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Either way, Episode 8 & definitely 9 of the saga make him canon.

Really because the movie definitely give a sith world that purposely isn’t the stupid one in kotor.

Korriban/Moraband are already in canon. Featured in Clone Wars and mentioned by both names in a canon reference book. Sith Trooper legions named after Revan and various other ancient Sith Lords does in fact make Revan canon.

The same way that Starkiller base makes Galen Marek canon?

No, because SK Base is not referring to Galen.

It's the same logic though. Until KotOR goes to the big screen, the characters won't be canon.

Who says it has to be a movie? Could be a game, TV show, comic, even a novel. All are acceptable mediums of canon.

Bow to the mediums!

They are all great mediums - but crossing mediums is poor writing and execution of developing story or characters.

Lucas (when he was still in control) was pretty careful to take things referenced in the Clone Wars series and leaving them there, and what was referenced in the movies were nothing of the animated series or comics etc. As it just caused confusion and risks causing barriers to average fans enjoying the content. No average fan wants to find out what happens to a certain character by having to see a movie, then watch a series, then another movie, then a comic, then a novel to find out the story of a character - its messy and is too much effort for a lot of people to do.

Average star wars fans were very confused seeing Maul at the end of Solo, believing that he died in E1 - because they had not turned their attention to the other mediums - comics or animated series (Clone Wars or Rebels). But Disney made the choice to add him, which opens up some issues.

I do not like how Maul's story continued after the cancellation of the Clone Wars in comic form - again this is just lazy. I hope his story is revived and closed appropriately in the return of the Clone Wars series on Disney+, so that it fits into where we see him down the road in Solo.

Likewise, it would be good to then see Maul transition from Crimson Dawn to the hermit we see in Rebels, if the new Obi Wan show is somewhat of a follow-on from Solo.

Generally, going forward if Disney uses all mediums to tell a collective story it will get very messy fast, and potentially alienates or prevents causal fans from enjoying the content.

Star Wars has never crossed mediums dangerously, to my knowledge. You don’t have to know a characters entire story to care about them. Anakin is the main character of the sequel trilogy. He goes through development. Anakin is in Clone Wars. He goes through separate developments. It’s the same person, but you don’t have to know anything about the other one to understand and connect with the first one. The Star Wars expanded universe has done a wonderful job of adding to characters and introducing fun storylines, but it has never been used to be a necessary supplement to the main stream Star Wars.

What worries me is that they are beginning to weave the Palpatine narrative between the originals and sequels in the mediums. That is something that should have been taken care of in the movies. There are places where Disney could ruin the purpose of mediums.

Overall, I think that the Star Wars mediums are a worthwhile place to expand what you wish to know about Star Wars. The stories are rich, and if you don’t believe me, look to the 90’s expanded universe.
  • Anakin is the main character of the sequel trilogy.

You what?
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Really because the movie definitely give a sith world that purposely isn’t the stupid one in kotor.

Korriban/Moraband are already in canon. Featured in Clone Wars and mentioned by both names in a canon reference book. Sith Trooper legions named after Revan and various other ancient Sith Lords does in fact make Revan canon.

It's the same logic though. Until KotOR goes to the big screen, the characters won't be canon.

Who says it has to be a movie? Could be a game, TV show, comic, even a novel. All are acceptable mediums of canon.

Bow to the mediums!

They are all great mediums - but crossing mediums is poor writing and execution of developing story or characters.

Lucas (when he was still in control) was pretty careful to take things referenced in the Clone Wars series and leaving them there, and what was referenced in the movies were nothing of the animated series or comics etc. As it just caused confusion and risks causing barriers to average fans enjoying the content. No average fan wants to find out what happens to a certain character by having to see a movie, then watch a series, then another movie, then a comic, then a novel to find out the story of a character - its messy and is too much effort for a lot of people to do.

Average star wars fans were very confused seeing Maul at the end of Solo, believing that he died in E1 - because they had not turned their attention to the other mediums - comics or animated series (Clone Wars or Rebels). But Disney made the choice to add him, which opens up some issues.

I do not like how Maul's story continued after the cancellation of the Clone Wars in comic form - again this is just lazy. I hope his story is revived and closed appropriately in the return of the Clone Wars series on Disney+, so that it fits into where we see him down the road in Solo.

Likewise, it would be good to then see Maul transition from Crimson Dawn to the hermit we see in Rebels, if the new Obi Wan show is somewhat of a follow-on from Solo.

Generally, going forward if Disney uses all mediums to tell a collective story it will get very messy fast, and potentially alienates or prevents causal fans from enjoying the content.

Star Wars has never crossed mediums dangerously, to my knowledge. You don’t have to know a characters entire story to care about them. Anakin is the main character of the sequel trilogy. He goes through development. Anakin is in Clone Wars. He goes through separate developments. It’s the same person, but you don’t have to know anything about the other one to understand and connect with the first one. The Star Wars expanded universe has done a wonderful job of adding to characters and introducing fun storylines, but it has never been used to be a necessary supplement to the main stream Star Wars.

What worries me is that they are beginning to weave the Palpatine narrative between the originals and sequels in the mediums. That is something that should have been taken care of in the movies. There are places where Disney could ruin the purpose of mediums.

Overall, I think that the Star Wars mediums are a worthwhile place to expand what you wish to know about Star Wars. The stories are rich, and if you don’t believe me, look to the 90’s expanded universe.

Exactly - that is my point in regard to lazy writing. Keeping a narrative born and concluded in the movies should stay in the movies. Adding other mediums with the purpose to make sense of what was seen in the movies is bad writing.

Again, adding Maul to Solo was confusing for a lot of people, casual fans who didn't know about his survival through Clone Wars or Rebels.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    I love Solo but Maul should have never been in it.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Boo wrote: »

Bow to the mediums!

There's a rumor that Darth Maul is getting his own Disney+ show that will go into his past and then pick up at the end of Solo

Ohh I would be hyped for a Maul (the crime lord) show. After the end of Solo I was hoping for another follow up movie (not exactly a sequel) about Maul/Crimson Dawn.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q

Bow to the mediums!

There's a rumor that Darth Maul is getting his own Disney+ show that will go into his past and then pick up at the end of Solo

Ohh I would be hyped for a Maul (the crime lord) show. After the end of Solo I was hoping for another follow up movie (not exactly a sequel) about Maul/Crimson Dawn.

That's what its supposed to be according to the rumor. Qira will be in it as well, I'd take this with a healthy dose of salt though.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Still waiting on a Darth Vader movie or show.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Still waiting on a Darth Vader movie or show.

Seeing a movie or show cover the events of the comic series and beyond would be amazing
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Yes it would. Never thought the saga made him a badass like people always said he was. Clone Wars showed Anakin doing his thing now we need Vader.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • DarthVeritlyn
    704 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes it would. Never thought the saga made him a badass like people always said he was. Clone Wars showed Anakin doing his thing now we need Vader.

I actually agree with that, he was intimidating no doubt, but all his awesome feats happen outside of the movies. Even in Rebels he was a force to be reckoned with, annihilating an entire Rebel fleet by himself.
  • TVF wrote: »

Perhaps if the reception of Solo was better, Maul would have had a bigger role in the sequel. I think they could make something decent of Mauls life. IMHO.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

I actually agree with that, he was intimidating no doubt, but all his awesome feats happen outside of the movies. Even in Rebels he was a force to be reckoned with, annihilating an entire Rebel fleet by himself.

Really shows he was a great pilot!

I also liked how Kanan and Ezra felt cold when Vader was near, and how they obviously feared him and the power he resonated with.

I also like how they struggled to get out of his grasp when he had them - It is mirrored in Fallen Order when Vader shows up at the end, despite how much you grow Cal throughout the game, he is absolutely nothing when Vader shows up. Escaping Vader in the game is very much like escaping the bogie-man.

Having said that, I felt Vader was most intimidating in Rogue One - his castle and conversation with Krenick, as well as how he cuts through all the Rebels at the end in a dark corridor, lit up by red light through blaster fire and his lightsaber - very cool.

Again, showing too much, can take away from some mystery and awe from the character.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Perhaps if the reception of Solo was better, Maul would have had a bigger role in the sequel. I think they could make something decent of Mauls life. IMHO.

First off, I hate the prequels, so I don't want a villain from them in a movie I otherwise really enjoyed.

Second, I didn't watch the Clone Wars cartoon. Maul is dead. Shrug.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

First off, I hate the prequels, so I don't want a villain from them in a movie I otherwise really enjoyed.

Exactly my point why story arcs, particular plot points and characters shouldn't cross mediums in this fashion - this very reason, and you are not alone @TVF

For me, I do like Clone Wars and Rebels, so already knew Maul was alive, I was just shocked they had him in Solo, for the very reason TVF mentioned.

I however, do not follow the content of all the novels and comics that are out there, as it is really expensive and time consuming to keep up with. Especially if you had done all of that with the EU stuff before Disney came along and made it all Legends anyway.

Bow to the mediums!

Exactly - that is my point in regard to lazy writing. Keeping a narrative born and concluded in the movies should stay in the movies. Adding other mediums with the purpose to make sense of what was seen in the movies is bad writing.

Again, adding Maul to Solo was confusing for a lot of people, casual fans who didn't know about his survival through Clone Wars or Rebels.

Well, imop, it made it more confusing and I am an avid fan..... Maul in solo looked old, wrinkled and weathered, yet the maul Kenobi killed looked like the one that just got a fresh set of legs....

Makes me wonder if the writers even put a minute worth of thought into each other's story line....
  • TVF wrote: »

That is the way it is though. Just like the sequel trilogy. Maul had potential to be an amazing baddie, but was underutilized.