Requesting an End to All 3v3: Squad and Ships

Prev1345
Having endured the last 4 weeks of insufferable 3v3 GAC, I've come to the conclusion that I'd be happy to see the back of ALL 3v3, in all game modes, for good.

The game is ultimately built around 5 man squads, in terms of factions and roles (leader, attackers, support/healer and tank). The developers actively design them this way, and release/promote them as such, with their intended synergies.

Aside from this, however, 3v3 is TEDIOUS. In GAC, you're often facing a wall of unkillable tanks with a fragile offense that was never intended to combat such teams. Instead of building a cohesive unit for offense, with varied roles that work together, you're limiting yourself to a typically tankless/naked set of attackers who must incapacitate or work around the tank without timing out.

In GAC, you have to do this a nauseating 11 times. It's soul destroying.

My dislike for 3v3 extends to ships. Since the game mode was switched from 5v5 to 3v3, fleet battles have becoming the most boring in-game experience by far. There's nothing you can do to shake things up, to try new strategies, to add some variation. With only 3 ships to choose from in the starting lineup, it's just the same cut and paste battles time after time, where RNG plays a far bigger role than in 5v5.

So I'm calling for the end of 3v3, both in squad and in ships. Less is not more in this case, less is just ... less. And the game is weaker for it.

Replies

• Counterpoint:

I’ve never faced the same 11 3v3 squads throughout this GAC. It’s fresh, challenging, and tests your knowledge of kits beyond the standard synergistic groups of 5 that everyone knows.

Back in 5v5 GAC, I faced exactly the same defensive lineup on several occasions. That got boring, predictable and tedious.
  • Thanks but no! I do enjoy 3vs3, new strategies, counters, and faster than 5vs5.
  • Request denied
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I'm all for it if it means the end of fleet!
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Agree with OP
  • People who don’t like fleet - haven’t farmed and geared ships...
    People who don’t like Malak - haven’t unlocked and geared Malak...
    People who don’t like GAC/TWar haven’t farmed mods...

I think there’s a pattern here?

Did you reply to the wrong thread? I can't see anything here that applies to this thread.
  • Palanthian wrote: »
    People who don’t like fleet - haven’t farmed and geared ships...

Did you reply to the wrong thread? I can't see anything here that applies to this thread.

People who make sweeping generalizations about all other players - post them in the wrong thread.
  • I request more frequent 3v3s. It doesn't matter that the game was developed with 5v5 in mind, since 3v3 works perfectly fine.

Anyway, I find it easier to come up with counters in 3v3, since there are less character abilities to take into account. I find it puzzling that some people find it so much harder.
  • Palanthian wrote: »
    Having endured the last 4 weeks of insufferable 3v3 GAC, I've come to the conclusion that I'd be happy to see the back of ALL 3v3, in all game modes, for good.

The game is ultimately built around 5 man squads, in terms of factions and roles (leader, attackers, support/healer and tank). The developers actively design them this way, and release/promote them as such, with their intended synergies.

Aside from this, however, 3v3 is TEDIOUS. In GAC, you're often facing a wall of unkillable tanks with a fragile offense that was never intended to combat such teams. Instead of building a cohesive unit for offense, with varied roles that work together, you're limiting yourself to a typically tankless/naked set of attackers who must incapacitate or work around the tank without timing out.

In GAC, you have to do this a nauseating 11 times. It's soul destroying.

My dislike for 3v3 extends to ships. Since the game mode was switched from 5v5 to 3v3, fleet battles have becoming the most boring in-game experience by far. There's nothing you can do to shake things up, to try new strategies, to add some variation. With only 3 ships to choose from in the starting lineup, it's just the same cut and paste battles time after time, where RNG plays a far bigger role than in 5v5.

So I'm calling for the end of 3v3, both in squad and in ships. Less is not more in this case, less is just ... less. And the game is weaker for it.

You do remember that 5v5 fleet featured a single good team right? There was none of this variation you speak of, it came down to a single lineup that was universally run. There was a phase of the same being true with HMF, but since the new capital ships variation has begun to be more commonplace, and even before reinforcements vary surprisingly at times.
  • Forums: *Complains about the game and GA being the same day in day out*
    CG: *Makes a change to GA to encourage new strategies and change up the 'same old' routine*
    People on the Forums: *loses a battle in GA to a mistake, new strategy, or underestimating their opponent*
    Forums: "THIS 3v3 IS ****!"
    opmbo.jpg
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I'm not a big fan of 3v3, but it is refreshing and a change.

I agree it doesnt feel like many teams are balanced to work at 3v3, but that is the same for everyone so it opens things up.

I dont want to see it end, if anything to help keep things from getting stale, as they can get in 5v5, why not have a different style each of the 4 weeks every GAC. Not sure what the other 2 would be at this point, so for now 5v5 weeks 1 and 3, then 3v3 weeks 2 and 4.
    CG: *Makes a change to GA to encourage new strategies and change up the 'same old' routine*
    People on the Forums: *loses a battle in GA to a mistake, new strategy, or underestimating their opponent*
    opmbo.jpg

Edgy
  • No, most people like the variety of different game modes.
    If anything I’d like more.
    I’d love to see 6v6 with 2 leaders like when you borrow a toon. It’s already in game.
    You could even have it that each player gives an x amount of toons (at a minimum power) to each other that the 6th must be taken from. Then just have less teams to set for def.
    It would force people to upgrade rubbish toons with rubbish mods. I’d love to see that bragging thread.
  • Deathbringer59
    562 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    I dont mind 3v3

Pro- the team comps are different, got to split up teams and since most are 5 toons teams, that leaves 2 with 1 extra you got to find. Can really see some interesting teams being made. Speed is somewhat king so if your DR/Dbastilla outspeeds the enemies then whether its 5v5 or 3v3 MORE then likely they would loose anyways

Con- kinda the same as the pro but different aspect. Since you got to split up those 5 toon teams. Some of them just dont work. Imps are a good example. With all 5 they normally can crush equally geared NS but in 3v3, NS can shut them down with stuns and plague before any of them can get a kill. Idc for the ships part but my ships are terrible so my fault there.

I don’t like Malak because it’s part of KOTOR and yes, I do have a geared up Malak. Still hate all things Revan, Sith Empire and Old Republic. That was the worst time period in the game and still is in Arena with 40 of 50 DR/DM squads in top 50. Just awful.

Bear with me, because I’m sure this will be difficult to comprehend.

The “Forums” group you’re refer to is made up of a number of people. That being the case, they have different opinions:
    Some complained that GA was the same every time.
    Some liked it the way it was.
    Some like 3v3. Some don’t like it.
    Some may have wanted a change to the way GA worked but also do not see the 3v3 format as an improvement.
    Each group states their opinions sometimes.
    None speak for the entirety of “the forums”, so a change will affect some of them positively and some of them negatively.

I understand that this may be shocking, but try to wrap your head around it.
  • The game was also designed to do PvE battles and singular PvP battles a la arenas, yet here we are with GAC and TW. It's almost like this game can do more than when it was originally created!
  • Ephran
    499 posts Member
    I'm FTP and I based all my team building around 5 man teams and I simply don't have the resources to make enough 3 man squads for GAC. It's just frustrating.
  • Ephran wrote: »
    I'm FTP and I based all my team building around 5 man teams and I simply don't have the resources to make enough 3 man squads for GAC. It's just frustrating.

What division are you in? I'm setting the same amount of characters in 3v3 as I do in 5v5. Unless you're saying that you only worked on 5 toons from each division to create one team, in which case.... How do you handle characters with multiple tags, like Vader and EP? Or C3PO or R2?
  • Everything should be the same all the time. Variations are bad.

Also, my favorite color is clear and I love Dane Cook.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    People who don’t like fleet - haven’t farmed and geared ships...

That's easy, people don't farm what they don't like. You probably think it's the other way around though right? ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    I love 3v3 and I love 5v5

Both are different kinds of gameplay, 3v3 requires more craftiness, strategy, and ingenuity — I also like seeing odd defense teams and how well they end up functioning together

5v5 favors people with large diverse investments that has every team / faction built up.

My only issue with 3v3 is how dominant Darth Revan team is since the trio can wipe out most 5 man teams on their own
  • I guess it's just me then! Looks like everyone loves 3v3.
  • Beyol
    328 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »
    Everything should be the same all the time. Variations are bad.

NicWester wrote: »
    Everything should be the same all the time. Variations are bad.

I wouldn't even kid about the Dane thing. That's just unspeakable.
  • I’d put them in the same ga. make top 3v3 and bottom 5v5. That’d put the cat amongst the pigeons. I’d hate it of course but still, if you’re gonna go, go big
    797-722-718
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Palanthian wrote: »
    I guess it's just me then! Looks like everyone loves 3v3.

What’s your swgoh.gg profile